• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
If the games announced next week are LG 2, people will riot if nothing is said about the future Sinnoh remakes.
I guess they could, but I don’t think there’s any reason to expect a comment on games that are even further out. Them giving a heads-up on Sword and Shield was kind of a unique case.

Anyway, they’ll come when they come. Personally I’m thinking we’ll get LG2J sometime in 2021 (maybe earlier in the year than their usual releases, maybe not), and then Sinnoh in late 2022. If fans want to “riot” online in the meantime, then they’re free to do so, but that’s not going to bother anyone at TPC.

Might even be Johto themed but not a Let's Go game.
Could be. Never rule out a surprise, but still, I think Let’s Go is the most straightforwardly likely option. GO is still going strong, and I think it’s been about the right amount of time for them to say something about where that part of the series will be going. LGPE did perform quite well, after all.

Reaction score
I thought that with DLCs we were out of that terrible cycle of a game every year. Whatever they announce on Wednesday I'll be upset anyway because it means that part of the team is not working on the next main project but on a side project (and considering that most likely it will be another Let's Go released early next year, then another part of the team is working on D/P remakes). They will never make a polished game again if they keep going like this. Not even the DLC feels polished, I mean, there's litterally no story in it and even the DLC feels rushed. I just don't support this kind of work.

Reaction score
The DP remakes need a lot of hard work since it needs to make the whole Sinnoh region 3D.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The DP remakes need a lot of hard work since it needs to make the whole Sinnoh region 3D.
As opposed to Let's Go Johto, where they pretty much have half the game already created for them.

Reaction score
I thought that with DLCs we were out of that terrible cycle of a game every year. Whatever they announce on Wednesday I'll be upset anyway because it means that part of the team is not working on the next main project but on a side project (and considering that most likely it will be another Let's Go released early next year, then another part of the team is working on D/P remakes). They will never make a polished game again if they keep going like this. Not even the DLC feels polished, I mean, there's litterally no story in it and even the DLC feels rushed. I just don't support this kind of work.
Well, they have no reason to care since their games will print money anyways.

Reaction score
Well guys, the second livestream has ended, and it looks like those Johto Pokémon plushes in the background were indeed a massive red herring to throw everybody off track...maybe.

I was careful not get my hopes up for a Let's Go Johto & Sinnoh announcement because GameFreak knows their fanbase all too well, and they've been known to pull a prank or two, especially when they know a large number of fans may be monitoring every possible site for anything that might possibly be a leak of sorts.

Three raccoons in a trench coat
Reaction score
Well, that sucked. Crappy MOBA it is, why did they think this warranted 11 dedicated minutes? Is it Ishihara or Tencent who thought this was "the next big thing"? Ludicrous.

See you guys next year, maybe we'll get another main series game before this gen clocks out.

Reaction score
How is it that TPC keeps failing on the marketing side so badly? I mean, who exactly decided it was a good idea to dedicate and entire presention to a Moba and to announce it as a "big project" after the first announcements last week? No surprise today Pokemon Presents has already 60k dislikes.
At least we are not getting another game this year.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Let's Go Johto's never happening now I think :X3:
I wish that were true. I don't think so, though. This year GF was focused on DLC. Next year we don't know what's coming. Unfortunately it could be LG.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
I wish that were true. I don't think so, though. This year GF was focused on DLC. Next year we don't know what's coming. Unfortunately it could be LG.
Well to be clear, I personally liked LGPE, so to me, a second one wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I would play it and most likely enjoy it, as would plenty of others.

But thinking of that style of game as a series with a future ahead of it feels redundant and kind of like a creative dead-end. I feel like if it went on past Gen 2, it would have to overtake traditional remakes (because there's really no point in having two "kinds" of remakes cycling around simultaneously, and that just adds so much more development time than they can likely spare), and at a certain point, they'd have to shake up the gameplay somehow anyway to avoid becoming stale. Like, if they got around to Let's Go 3 Hoenn, would they re-add abilities and stuff or not? Thing is, regardless of whether you enjoy it, "Gen 1, kinda how it used to be, but reimagined with a little more Pokémon GO" is an idea. "Gen 3 stripped of its own trademark features and artificially limited to 386 Pokémon in order to maintain fidelity with GO" is pointless enslavement to a rigid pattern. But if you're going to reach a point where you add the missing elements back into the series, it's like, why'd you take them out to begin with?

It makes more sense to simply bring over the things that people liked about Let's Go into the main series games and hope that it makes the main series feel a little more accessible to the more casual fans (if that's even that much of a concern; I'd wager that there is a more than significant overlap between the 12 million people who bought Let's Go and the 17 million who bought SWSH), which they have done even now with Sword and Shield, and will do with HOME.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Well to be clear, I personally liked LGPE, so to me, a second one wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I would play it and most likely enjoy it, as would plenty of others.

But thinking of that style of game as a series with a future ahead of it feels redundant and kind of like a creative dead-end. I feel like if it went on past Gen 2, it would have to overtake traditional remakes (because there's really no point in having two "kinds" of remakes cycling around simultaneously, and that just adds so much more development time than they can likely spare), and at a certain point, they'd have to shake up the gameplay somehow anyway to avoid becoming stale. Like, if they got around to Let's Go 3 Hoenn, would they re-add abilities and stuff or not? Thing is, regardless of whether you enjoy it, "Gen 1, kinda how it used to be, but reimagined with a little more Pokémon GO" is an idea. "Gen 3 stripped of its own trademark features and artificially limited to 386 Pokémon in order to maintain fidelity with GO" is pointless enslavement to a rigid pattern. But if you're going to reach a point where you add the missing elements back into the series, it's like, why'd you take them out to begin with?

It makes more sense to simply bring over the things that people liked about Let's Go into the main series games and hope that it makes the main series feel a little more accessible to the more casual fans (if that's even that much of a concern; I'd wager that there is a more than significant overlap between the 12 million people who bought Let's Go and the 17 million who bought SWSH), which they have done even now with Sword and Shield, and will do with HOME.
And you outlined exactly why I have a problem with Lets Go becoming a series - it's too many different projects for GF to handle, and I'm afraid the traditional remakes would be in trouble. GF's traditional Pokemon remakes are some of the very best remakes out there and I look forward so much to every single one.

Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee? The very first GF Pokemon pair I did not pick up (I have skipped third versions, but that's another story, I mean new games). I was already so sick and tired of seeing Gen I Pokemon everywhere, now you had a game where there was only Gen I Pokemon aside from one bonus new Pokemon. And the games itself? Not even good. A 2.5D version of Kanto (when Kanto has already been remade) with forced motion control, no regular wild battles, and simplified altogether. No thank you.

In my eyes, LG are bad Pokemon games and I don't want them to become a series. GF has enough projects as it is. LG are the weakest link.