• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

I could see the Mt. Silver trainer being Ethan this time around, seeing as Red has kind of been exhausted since HGSS. The LGPE trainer would barely be different than Red (especially in the version with Pikachu). I hope that Kris gets to do more than Green did, but just an acknowledgement of her existence would be something after 20+ years.

I was wondering how the dex would be handled giving all the cross gen evolutions shared with Gen 4.
They added five of them in HGSS (the ones that evolve by learning moves), which just meant tweaking the Pokedex numbers a bit. It's just a question of whether they feel like doing it... The chances would be higher if there were new cross-generational evolutions (or even just an Eeveelution) in this year's games.

Last edited:
I could see the Mt. Silver trainer being Ethan this time around, seeing as Red has kind of been exhausted since HGSS. The LGPE trainer would barely be different than Red (especially in the version with Pikachu).

I think you're confusing what GameFreak should do and what GameFreak would do.

If we get a trainer on Mt. Silver, it’s going to be Chase, replicating the entire point of adding Red there.

I think you're confusing what GameFreak should do and what GameFreak would do.

If we get a trainer on Mt. Silver, it’s going to be Chase, replicating the entire point of adding Red there.
As I said, that would result in a very similar battle to the one even new players experienced with Red in LGPE. It wouldn't have the same effect as the original Red battle did. But sure, it could happen.

And what do you mean by "if we get a trainer on Mt. Silver"?

We'll see. I hope to see the GSC duo and rival either way.

My view of the LGPE protagonists is a living embodiment of the player (as implied by the opening), to the point that it would be better to suggest that they've been reborn as the new player characters.

I have a really hard time imagining what new starters could be in potential Let's Go Johto games. I'm not sure if any of the second generation Pokemon are popular/marketable enough to be on similar levels to Pikachu and Eevee. Maril and Togepi seem to be the most likely choices and Maril would be kind of fun given the whole Pikablue rumor back in the day, but I'm not sure if they could give Togepi enough moves to make it worthwhile even when it doesn't evolve. At least Eevee had its entire evolution line to inspire moves of different types. I kind of like the idea of Pichu and Cleffa, especially when Clefairy was considered to be the mascot at first, but I'm not sure if they'd run into the same problems with the moves. Just keeping Pikachu and Eevee as the starters also sounds plausible, but that would be a bit dull and they'd need something new to make the games stand out.

I hope that they include new Mega Evolutions in the games. I know that didn't happen with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, but there were a lot more Kanto Mega Evolutions to include, while there aren't a lot of Mega Pokemon from the second generation. Plus, it would be pretty awesome to see Mega Evolutions for the Johto starters. I always wanted to see a Mega Typhlosion, Mega Feraligatr would be pretty cool and Mega Meganium could give the Chikorita line some much needed attention. It would also add in some more new content for the games in general.

The new playable trainers will probably look similar to the ones from the original games, especially the male trainer. I'm not sure if they'd include the original playable trainers and Silver as NPCs. It kind of made sense to do that with Red, Blue and Green considering that they were more Kanto nostalgia for long time fans, but I don't know how many people would be interested in seeing Ethan. Silver and probably Kris would get some fanfare if that does happen though. There is a good chance that they'll have a new rival too, but I don't know how that will work. Unlike Blue, Silver had more of a storyline going on in the original games and taking that out would feel more apparent. Plus, I'm not sure how much sense it would make for Silver to show up to help combat Team Rocket like what happened with Blue. At least that was slowly building up to Blue becoming a Gym Leader.

The games will probably just incorporate the first two generations. While I have mixed feelings on Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee featuring only the first generation of Pokemon, it does allow the games to stand out compared to previous remakes and they may want to be consistent, especially if they do plan on making more Let's Go games in the future. This would allow for Pokemon Go Park to be expanded upon, including some new mini games and new ways to get Pokemon specific candies as well.

Since Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee already introduced Archer, I could see Let's Go Johto games having a few new scenes with him and the other Team Rocket characters from HG/SS prior to the confrontation in the Radio Tower. It would also be neat if they could somehow include the scene of Giovanni and Silver meeting each other from HG/SS sometime after Team Rocket is defeated.

Although I hope that they won't put Celebi behind a paywall, I also like the idea of Celebi being available within a Pokeball Plus painted like the GS Ball.

I'm still not entirely sure if they will make more Let's Go games. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee sold pretty well all things considered, but the reason behind the games feel so situational to me that I don't know if there would be a lot of demand for Johto remakes in this same style. I would be happy if they did. Seeing Johto redesigned with these kind of graphics would be pretty awesome for me and add more personal connection considering that Silver was my first Pokemon game. Plus, getting to hear new versions of music tracks from the original games would be pretty neat. I'm not sure if they are going into the direction of making more Let's Go games, but I also wouldn't be against it at all.

Last edited:
Everybody’s talking bout the partner Pokémon working the same way as in the previous games, but I actually think it could work differently.

Say you choose your starter just like in GSC and pick up the egg from Mr. Pokémon. Very shortly after you receive it, it hatches and then Togepi fills the role of the partner no matter what, serving the purpose of HMs, being customizable, not evolving, etc.

So then what do we do with the game names? I propose that they’re based on something different that takes popular elements from Go and takes them to the next level.

Pokémon: Let’s Go to Johto - Team Valor
Pokémon: Let’s Go to Johto - Team Mystic
Pokémon: Let’s Go to Johto - Team Instinct

They’re admittedly a bit long winded but they work similarly to those Wiiware Mystery Dungeon games. Each of the legendary dogs plays the role of Suicune in Crystal depending on which version you get.

Say you choose your starter just like in GSC and pick up the egg from Mr. Pokémon. Very shortly after you receive it, it hatches and then Togepi fills the role of the partner no matter what, serving the purpose of HMs, being customizable, not evolving, etc.
That seems a bit long-winded, and I already don't like the back-and-forthing at the beginning. Maybe you get the egg at the start instead?

That seems a bit long-winded, and I already don't like the back-and-forthing at the beginning. Maybe you get the egg at the start instead?

Yeah. At that point I’ll actually prefer my Cyndaquil to fulfil the partner role because it helped me through with the egg quest instead of a random egg taking over. This would defeat the entire point of partner Pokemon.

I get what y'all are saying about being a bit convoluted, but it made more sense to me than forcing Togepi/Marill/other two random Johto mons into that role at the start. It would definitely make for a very different dynamic than Pikachu and Eevee, but ultimately it would serve the same purpose in replacing the HMs.

I'm curious about what you guys think of adding in the Go teams. One of my headcanons for why people don't immediately throw red flags every time Team _ pops up is because Valor/Mystic/Instinct actually have a good reputation. I kind of want to see if the leaders would try to do anything about Rocket's resurgence after the fallout from their first rise to power.

I don't know about using the Go teams. They either didn't want or were afraid to do so in LGPE, where the bird trio were among the few obtainable legendaries. I like the idea of the beast trio being the mascots, but many people would find three versions cash-grabby even if the version exclusives weren't drastically affected.

Plus, I'm not sure how much sense it would make for Silver to show up to help combat Team Rocket like what happened with Blue.
It would also be neat if they could somehow include the scene of Giovanni and Silver meeting each other from HG/SS sometime after Team Rocket is defeated.
I think you answered your own question; the Team Rocket story would be tame without Silver. I would add two things:
  1. Silver interfering with Team Rocket is what led him to meet Lance, who (along with the player) inspired him to become a better trainer.
  2. The HGSS event was okay, but it didn't show the culmination of Silver rejecting his father. That is something that should be fixed without time travel.
but I'm not sure if they could give Togepi enough moves to make it worthwhile even when it doesn't evolve.
Actually, the Metronome motif would pretty much allow them to get away with any signature moves they wanted.

Went back to check out other people’s ideas for partners and can I just say I absolutely love Nicolas721’s idea of Phanpy and Teddiursa? The two really do complement each other perfectly for this role. Also Teddiursa being one of my favorite Pokémon of all time would make this an instabuy :)

Alas, I don’t see the games themselves being called Let’s Go, Phanpy and Let’s Go, Teddiursa; so I wonder how they would change up the names to make it fit? I don’t think I’m the first person to suggest “Let’s Go to Johto”. But after that it’s a little bit rough because I’m thinking still about some cheesy subtitle in the vein of the PMD games.

Why are these worse titles than LGPE? Except for maybe Teddiursa's due to length. They could give them nicknames, I guess.

I guess in my understanding of things they worked for Pikachu and Eevee because they were already iconic Pokémon. As much as I’d like for Teddiursa and Phanpy to be up there in popularity, I can’t ignore the sad truth :’(

Ah, okay. I thought you were talking about the names only rather than the partners.

I'm afraid that it's pretty unlikely unless they promote those two an awful lot; Phanpy can't even feasibly stay on the player's shoulder. It would be easier to use Marill/Togepi or just Raikou/Entei as a tribute to Crystal.

it occurs to me that meltan reminds me a lot of the unown, stylistically and in its lore

• very simple design with heavy emphasis on a prominent beady eye
  • many have to come together for their true power to awaken
  • date back to ancient times and have only reappeared recently due to the player's actions (opening the mystery box/solving the ruins of alph puzzles)
  • responsible for some aspect of human culture (melmetal is revered for being able to create metal, unown possibly inspired the alphabet)
  • they both sort of interact with modern technology (meltan can absorb metal, unown interfere with radio waves)

now, considering how LGPE did absolutely nothing with mew other than use it to push poké ball pluses, i'm pretty convinced that even a let's go 2 Johto game would not bother to break the unown's curse of being forever shitmons with some silly tenuous link to Arceus, but what if (one of) the new pokémon for LG2J (assuming there would be one, though i don't see why there wouldn't) was the unown's equivalent of melmetal, finally paying off the collection quest and their lore in some way and finally making them worth using?

@Esserise I'd prefer it if they used Wishiwashi as an inpiration for an Unown form rather than taking the Melmetal/Zygarde route. That is, show them as a cluster like in my signature. I don't want some giant black creature with multiple eyes, and a Go gimmick would be pretty disappointing (although it would make some sense this time considering that the Unown are otherworldly).

Why do people keep suggesting this?
Because LGPE were based on Yellow? Since a single version is unlikely, it would make sense to complement Suicune with its brothers and have it around as an "overseer".

Last edited:
Fix wild battles and training, fire Masuda, nerf candies and AVs, add rapid spin and defog into the movepool, add Masuda into the unemployment pool, add more trainer customization, nerf Eevee, nerf Melmetal, leave out megas, leave out Masuda, add held items, add Thick Club, club Masuda.
Put Celebi in GS Ball Plus, with a blurb in the manual referencing it as the same GS Ball Ash left with Kurt.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom