• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

Wait, I thought you could get Heracross by then? I remember in my most playthrough of SoulSilver, I swept Whitney with a Heracross I caught.

Edit: Nevermind I forgot that I traded a Drowzee with Headbutt to my game in order to get a Heracross earlier than usual. Unless you grind Slowpoke up until it learns Headbutt, you can only obtain a Pokemon that knows that move after you beat her if I remember correctly.
Exactly. This is why Whitney is so (in)famous.

Perfectly fine with Let's go Johto as the next games in the series.

Wishlist from most likely to least likely:
  • Dressing up of starters <3
  • Pokemon has abilities and held items
  • Wild pokemon battles as per normal (but with Go catching mechanics if absolutely necessary)
  • Level scaling as introduced Isle of Armour to be implemented fundamentally, thereby allowing the game to be open world to a limited extent.
  • Time skip featuring Lillie.

I suppose I could also see it being a hint toward a new Colosseum game. The fanbase talks about those almost as much as they've talked about a Snap remake, and they recently revived Mystery Dungeon too, so maybe this is some banner year for the beloved side series games or something. Plus, Shadow Pokémon were added in GO last year, so to some small extent they've been reintroduced into the audience consciousness. But I feel it's more likely to be a Game Freak project, since they're giving the announcement its own space separate from the spin-offs.

I suppose I could also see it being a hint toward a new Colosseum game. The fanbase talks about those almost as much as they've talked about a Snap remake, and they recently revived Mystery Dungeon too, so maybe this is some banner year for the beloved side series games or something. Plus, Shadow Pokémon were added in GO last year, so to some small extent they've been reintroduced into the audience consciousness. But I feel it's more likely to be a Game Freak project, since they're giving the announcement its own space separate from the spin-offs.

I don't know anything about the Colosseum games but it would have been convincing if the Bird Trios in Crown Tundra were announced to be Shadow forms. Unfortunately, they're just typical regional variants.

Genius Sonority only have 22 employees and haven't developed a retail game since 2011 (and that one was Typing DS, so I'm being generous). Cafe Mix is probably all they can take on at the moment. Besides, if a Snap sequel wasn't big enough to get its own video, I don't see why a Colosseum sequel would be different. The Eevee and Lugia plushies are probably there for a reason, but those two Pokemon were missing from Colosseum (as were Politoed and all Kanto Pokemon).

I think that Eevee will evolve using an item this time around (like in XD, but I'm talking about Let's Go). Friendship is kind of a pain to deal with for a starter, but more importantly, an item or a story event would the be the easiest way to lock the evolution into Espeon/Umbreon. I can't help but wonder if they'll get some boosts like Pikachu and Eevee, even though they don't need them (well, Umbreon is time-consuming in terms of offense, but Foul Play can help).

I didn't really have a problem with gym requirements, but I don't see the point as kids have either played LGPE or SwSh. They could give prizes for catching milestones as a better incentive.

As Ash Pokemaster said, Shadow Pokemon aren't unthinkable as they exist in Go and that black Pikachu plushie is a bit much just for a #BLM nod. The concept technically debuted in the TCG (those were called Bad in Japanese, Dark in English). I've always wanted a game with both Shadow Pokemon and Light ones (see Neo Destiny), and it is not hard to imagine how they could fit into Johto. Team Rocket could focus on on radio waves that alter Pokemon's behavior rather than inducing evolution, so for instance there could be a red Shadow Gyarados. Light Pokemon could be the result of training in the Tin Tower, and you'd need them to purify the Shadow ones. So it wouldn't be an exact repeat of the Orre games, although borrowing ideas from likely dead series is nothing to be ashamed of.

I am not a Mega Evolution fan, but with LGPE and now Go including the feature, the Johto starters finally Mega Evolving would only make sense.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’re getting a Colosseum sequel/remake anytime soon, but I also don’t think TPCi needs Genius Sonority to make one. They pretty much used the same mechanics as the main series games which are now already Switch-capable.

I don’t think the plushes were hinting at Let’s Go Johto. They said very recently that there were currently no plans to make another LG game. Too recently to go back on so soon (because I know they have a habit of contradicting themselves but at least they tend to wait a while).

Plus I just think it’s still far too close to LGPE for yet another installment in terms of amount of titles in-between them.

The plushies are hinting at something and there aren't a lot of games that would focus on both Johto and Kanto.

I don’t think the plushes were hinting at Let’s Go Johto. They said very recently that there were currently no plans to make another LG game. Too recently to go back on so soon (because I know they have a habit of contradicting themselves but at least they tend to wait a while).
This is the same Masuda who said that gyms would be in SM just weeks before trials were revealed. It's been 8 months since he said the following:

“So, at the moment there’s no particular plans,” Masuda said. “But if the fans really like it then definitely keep those voices coming out to the Pokémon Company and Nintendo, and make sure we hear them. [Laughs] We wanna hear those comments.”

Last year also refused to say that SwSh would receive a patch for the missing Pokemon, which didn't even make sense as confirmation would have made people less salty. In contrast, he has no reason to confirm which game he's working on, especially before the release of SwSh.

Agreed, but 2020 pretty clearly belongs to the DLC, and announcing a Let's Go game more than a year in advance is very preposterous. Sword and Shield had different circumstances which justified the early announcement (and it was still effectively devoid of any information).

Agreed, but 2020 pretty clearly belongs to the DLC, and announcing a Let's Go game more than a year in advance is very preposterous. Sword and Shield had different circumstances which justified the early announcement (and it was still effectively devoid of any information).

They could do an early 2021 release?

Considering they added a young Mina in LGPE, I guess they will added a younger Lillie, not older.

This isn't half as exciting. An older Lillie would mean growth, not just for her, but also the region. The way Red and Blue was used in LGPE was so disappointing cause it was almost a sequel to the original games except it is practically contemporaneous with the original timeline. Please. I want to see the region in a new light. I want to feel like the characters have progressed.

A June announcement, falls perfectly in line with an early 2021 release though, since its an 8/9 month marketing cycle, which we almost always get with a new game.

February 27th would be perfect. It's 8 months away, so it wouldn't be that early. The anniversary would justifiy announcing the games two months earlier than usual for remakes. Hell, they revealed a fair amount about the Crown Tundra 9-10 months in advance, and there isn't that much to the DLC.

A June announcement, falls perfectly in line with an early 2021 release though, since its an 8/9 month marketing cycle, which we almost always get with a new game.

They could do an early 2021 release?

An early year release isn’t really likely too. Have you had a look at their release schedule? They usually release at the Holiday release period.

February 27th would be perfect.
And I doubt that corporate would let them change from the most profitable release period just for an anniversary. They didn’t do that to the only "anniversary" games they’ve ever made (Sun/Moon).
Hell, they revealed a fair amount about the Crown Tundra 9-10 months in advance, and there isn't that much to the DLC.
It’s not as if they had any choice if they wanted to make a good impression. They’re making DLC for the first time, and a good impression would be the key, specially if the price might make people skeptical. Crown Tundra clearly has the more "impressive" and marketable content of the Regis and legendary birds, so they revealed that. It’s promotion needs to be paired with Isle of Armor fairly early on since you can’t buy them separately and the collective impression of the DLC needs to be good enough by IoA release. A taster of CT was optimal.

I think that the hints are clear that Let's Go Johto is next in line, and that will be the "big announcement" next week. Personally I'm pretty hype if that's the case. I recently played through Let's Go Eevee with my girlfriend and we both had a blast. It was a lot of fun introducing her a series I've been a fan of for so long, and even better that we were able to play the game co-op. It was right up her alley.

I really hope they flesh out Kanto in some way. They probably won't, but I've always felt that the Kanto part of Johto was really just kind of a rushed add-on, and one that took away from the Johto region in a larger scope. Maybe include some of the special story connections between Giovanni and Silver that they had in that one HGSS event. Maybe shed some light on the whereabouts of the Kanto E4 members that have since left, Lorelei and Agatha. Does Dr. Fuji make an appearance in the Johto postgame? I can't remember, if not, maybe make some connections there.

They can also flesh out the Johto side a bit more. I liked the pre-E4 interactions with Lorelei in Let's Go Eevee, it was unique and made the character a bit more memorable. Do the same thing with Karen and Will, maybe even include a backstory. Give Kurt a larger backstory. There is potential here to make the Johto experience a lot more fulfilling while still catering to the audience they are trying to capture, and pandering a bit to nostalgia as well. I just hope they take the opportunity.

An early year release isn’t really likely too. Have you had a look at their release schedule? They usually release at the Holiday release period.
And yet almost all games from RS to BW were released in March-April outside Japan (none were released in the holiday period). The sales weren't augmented by the switch, and seeing as Nintendo had plenty of success with the Switch and Breath of the Wild in March 2017, times haven't changed all that much.

And I doubt that corporate would let them change from the most profitable release period just for an anniversary. They didn’t do that to the only "anniversary" games they’ve ever made (Sun/Moon).
Ohmori needed those two years to direct SM after having finished with ORAS. This time he's unlikely to be the director and the engine is going to be based on LGPE. Not to mention that the TCG and anime need to be taken into account for a new generation, not so much remakes.

Also, SM had regional variants (like SwSh, and pretty much like Megas in XY/ORAS), adult Red and Blue, and some small nods. They weren't really nostalgia-driven; I'd say that Generations was the real anniversary celebration. A 25th anniversary is usually considered a bigger milestone than a 20th one.

It’s not as if they had any choice if they wanted to make a good impression. They’re making DLC for the first time, and a good impression would be the key, specially if the price might make people skeptical. Crown Tundra clearly has the more "impressive" and marketable content of the Regis and legendary birds, so they revealed that. It’s promotion needs to be paired with Isle of Armor fairly early on since you can’t buy them separately and the collective impression of the DLC needs to be good enough by IoA release. A taster of CT was optimal.
Why did they need to reveal either DLC in January? If Isle of Armor is less impressive, why 5 months? April would have been fine, and even then they could have made do with less Crown Tundra information. Hell, I'd argue that there is no reason to split the DLC into two parts if you can't buy them separately.

Last edited:
And yet almost all games from RS to BW were released in March-April outside Japan (none were released in the holiday period). The sales weren't augmented by the switch, and seeing as Nintendo had plenty of success with the Switch and Breath of the Wild in March 2017, times haven't changed all that much.
Zelda was a launch title for the Switch. They needed at least one for the thing to have a good launch. The Switch would've made nowhere near the enormous amount of sales if it released without one out of BotW or Super Mario Odyssey. My point is, there's a reason why Pokémon has been releasing literally every game in November for the past seven years. There must be a reason for such a significant trend shift which would suddenly disappear for Let's Go Johto.

Hell, I'd argue that there is no reason to split the DLC into two parts if you can't buy them separately.
That’s something no one on here can answer, they just decided to split it in two, probably to have a product ready while developing another part, instead of delaying the entire DLC for a single package. The SwSh market strategy has been to maintain a constant interest in the game with routine events. Two DLC packs would cause two hype surges, one with IoA and the other with Crown Tundra.

And again, a DLC announcement is different from a main entry. This was literally the first DLC release while we have concrete trends for the main games.

I don’t see any viable reason to change a seven year old constant release schedule arbitrarily. It would be a really weird choice.

I would like another Let's Go game, LGPE have grew on me considerably since release. Most of my favourites are Johtomons, as I grew up with GSC so having them in a Let's Go game would be hella comfy. The only downside I can see is that they wouldn't include cross gen evos like Yanmega, Sylveon or Mamoswine, but that's about it.

One thing that's been concerns me is that there's been a lot of talk on the internet about the announcement being the Tencent game. I will be gutted if that's what it is, because that means that I only have the DLC to look forward to this year, and there's no non-SwSh main series game in sight. On top of that, they hyped it up calling it a "big" announcement, which would be all the more disappointing if it turns out to be a crappy f2p MOBA mobile game designed to be a CCP data gathering tool.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom