• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

I would like another Let's Go game, LGPE have grew on me considerably since release. Most of my favourites are Johtomons, as I grew up with GSC so having them in a Let's Go game would be hella comfy. The only downside I can see is that they wouldn't include cross gen evos like Yanmega, Sylveon or Mamoswine, but that's about it.

One thing that's been concerns me is that there's been a lot of talk on the internet about the announcement being the Tencent game. I will be gutted if that's what it is, because that means that I only have the DLC to look forward to this year, and there's no non-SwSh main series game in sight. On top of that, they hyped it up calling it a "big" announcement, which would be all the more disappointing if it turns out to be a crappy f2p MOBA mobile game designed to be a CCP data gathering tool.
I don't think that they would focus an entire presentation on that.

There are three spin-off games that were alluded to last year: Detective Pikachu 2, Sleep and Tencem. Neither one is likely to be Johto-centric, and what's the point of creating a separate video for them when we know they're in development? Wouldn't it have made more sense to make that the first video, if they had to split it at all? Sleep could be a minor part of the video, though. It's the only one they promised for this year, although plans might have changed (Cafe Mix, Smile and Sleep seem like overkill for the next 6 months).

I've always felt that the Kanto part of Johto was really just kind of a rushed add-on,
Considering how Kanto looked like in Spaceworld, I don't think I can call it a rushed add-on...

ENZrfVfUwAMCRcM.png

It was expanded from the initial plan, that's for sure. If they could finally revive some scrapped areas, Pokemon and characters (see my avatar, but more to the point, Imposter Prof. Oak), that'd be great. I am not asking for all of them.

Does Dr. Fuji make an appearance in the Johto postgame? I can't remember, if not, maybe make some connections there.
Yes, in the House of Memories, which is where the graves were relocated due Pokemon Tower being converted in a radio tower. But he doesn't say much and it's really high time they spilled the beans on his connection to Mewtwo (which is another plushie, by the way). LGPE added something interesting that sadly wasn't developed:

JESSIE: You’re the old geezer they call Mr. Fuji, right?
You’re going to be repeating your Pokémon research for the glory of Team Rocket!
GIOVANNI: Now, now, Mr. President. I hope you’re not thinking of lying to me.
The Master Ball... You successfully created one, didn’t you!
PRESIDENT: Do you think it’s that easy to make?
And now that I know who you really are, there is no way I want to make a thing like that... Not for someone like you!
GIOVANNI: How dare you?!
PRESIDENT: And give up any thought of forcing us to create lots of powerful Pokémon for you!
Using stolen research to create Pokémon... That’s not something Silph should ever do.
GIOVANNI: We had a deal! You agreed to this!
...You’re a smart man. I’m sure you can imagine what will happen to your people if you say no to me now.
It's pretty clear that Team Rocket found Fuji's documents regarding Mewtwo and wanted Silph Co. to reproduce his experiment somehow, maybe for all sorts of Pokemon. But the president wanted none of that.

The only downside I can see is that they wouldn't include cross gen evos like Yanmega, Sylveon or Mamoswine, but that's about it.
I wouldn't be sure about that. HGSS allow you to get five cross-generational evolutions when FRLG don't, and you can trade for any Pokemon without entering the Hall of Fame first. With close to 700 existing in Go by the time this game may be released (assuming it does), Masuda may have had second thoughts (not to mention that he isn't the director if he didn't lie about LGPE being his last games). Perhaps more to the point, the Switch-ready models for most Pokemon already exist by now.

Last edited:
It was expanded from the initial plan, that's for sure. If they could finally revive some scrapped areas, Pokemon and characters (see my avatar, but more to the point, Imposter Prof. Oak), that'd be great. I am not asking for all of them.
If they revive Wolfman and Kotora I'm willing to get the game even if it's Sonic '06 bad.

It would be nice to get some closure for the Team Rainbow Rocket plot from USUM. I really liked the whole multiverse plot (unpopular opinion?) so I was sad when it stopped being a thing. Maybe Let's Go Johto could be set in a world in which Team Rocket succeed in bringing their leader back.

Maybe Celebi could be the starter Pokémon and the plot revolves around traveling back in time to prevent Giovanni from taking over the world. Maybe Silver could even be the protagonist/co-star (not literally but more like Lillie in SM).

More evidence: Composer Shota Kageyama reweeted about the announcement three times. Unlike Masuda, he doesn't seem to talk about Pokemon in general (his last related tweet was about the LGPE soundtrack) and he certainly ignored the recent video. The last games he composed for were LGPE (he skipped the Alola games and SwSh). I doubt he cares about a spin-off game.

It would be nice to get some closure for the Team Rainbow Rocket plot from USUM. I really liked the whole multiverse plot (unpopular opinion?) so I was sad when it stopped being a thing. Maybe Let's Go Johto could be set in a world in which Team Rocket succeed in bringing their leader back.

Maybe Celebi could be the starter Pokémon and the plot revolves around traveling back in time to prevent Giovanni from taking over the world. Maybe Silver could even be the protagonist/co-star (not literally but more like Lillie in SM).
They could use a Celebi event to show what happens if Team Rocket win and Giovanni keeps Mewtwo, but that angle doesn't really require closure. He lost in USUM and didn't announce anything specific. It's more fun/realistic if the player accepts that Giovanni at least has a chance in some universe, because otherwise it's a never-ending story where every win for the player is also a loss in another universe.

Last edited:
The guy in these tweets is supposedly an analyst for the Chinese video game market and it seems to point towards that the announcement won't be a main series game or Let's Go Johto, after all.

If it is the tencent game, then I'm straight up not interested.

Attachments

• 1592706652834.jpg
    1592706652834.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1592706458912.jpg
    1592706458912.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 46
I don’t know much about Tencent. Why do they disinterest you?
I don't care for most spinoff titles and if it's the tencent game, it's not gonna be a main series title.

There have also been concerns that tencent gathers data and shares it with the CCP, but mainly the first thing, I don't personally hate the company.

If we are getting LG Johto, I hope it's on February 27th next year. I also hope we get Sinnoh remakes in November 2021.
If the games announced next week are LG 2, people will riot if nothing is said about the future Sinnoh remakes.

There must be a reason for such a significant trend shift which would suddenly disappear for Let's Go Johto.

Well they released DLCs and not mainline games in 2020. That's a pretty big change imo. They might think of a February release as an attempt to make up from loss sales?

My thoughts in no particular order...

Colosseum
I don't think it's likely. I'm sure Ranger and Stadium
Why?
remakes/sequels are asked more often and we already have 2 "big" Switch spin-offs coming soon (Snap and Detective Pikachu, and Mystery Dungeon is still fresh).

New App
It's possible, as long as it's something as big as Go or Masters to warrant being shown apart of what we've seen.

Sleep
It always seemed like a complementary product to either Go or a main series game, and neither SWSH or Go need one right now (SWSH has DLC, Go will have Megas soon). However, I don't rule it out because it could be a complementary announcement to Let's Go 2.

Let's Go Johto
Announcing a main series game a week after people have chosen to bought the DLC kinda makes sense. I wouldn't be mad if it was announced as it would confirm it's being released in less than a year, but I'm not sure I'd be happy either as my expectations are really low. Espeon and Umbreon make sense as a pair, but I'm not a fan of either so that would be a big negative for me. It'd be great if there's more starters to choose from even if it's just Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile.

Sinnoh remakes
I don't rule them out, and the "Unavailable Pokemon in SWSH after DLC" leaks are important hints. But at the same time, maybe the day where Game Freak decides that full remakes with current graphics aren't worth the time and effort could come sooner than later.

Well they released DLCs and not mainline games in 2020. That's a pretty big change imo. They might think of a February release as an attempt to make up from loss sales?
I mean... it isn’t as if they have to make up for lost sales immediately (they’d lose out even more sales by missing the holiday season), and even the Crown Tundra which is considered the major value on DLC is being released late in the year. They do take one or two break years so no mainline game in 2020 makes sense.

My thing is, why would they bother holding an entirely separate event to announce a "big project" if its just a Switch spin-off game, or a mobile game? I do think they're holding this reveal separate because its likely that this is something they know would overshadow the announcement of Pokemon Cafe Mix, Pokemon Smile, and the big Pokemon Snap sequel fans have waited so long for. It just makes no sense though to have an entirely separate event if its just gonna be something like an update on Detective Pikachu 2, Pokemon Sleep, or some other mobile title. It tells me that its gotta be something like Sinnoh remakes for 2021, but I do find it odd that there are so many Johto Pokemon present, and the Let's Go Eevee Switch bundle is on display in the background, obscured by plushes of Eevee, Umbreon, and Espeon. There's just so much signs in the background that point to Let's Go Johto being revealed for 2020.

Last edited:
I don't think that China even got the latest video translated. Their official site is quite out of date; I can't find any SwSh news. Their Weibo page does have merchandise news, but nothing about the recent announcement or upcoming one. Also, I'd think that Tencent would want their own press conference for the announcement, or at least a shared one as was the case for Go.

The Resetera guy doesn't know what the announcement is in all likelihood. The Tencent game will be revealed eventually, but I doubt he knows when (and technically he isn't saying that).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom