• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas For New Pokemon Moves

Charizard6168

Don't Look
Reaction score
Aside from new Pokemon, new moves introduced every generation are the biggest aspect affecting that gen's metagame

In this thread you can give your ideas for new moves you would like to see in future generations

For posting, just give out your ideas on what kind of moves you want to see
If you like it give it a name as well
If you want to elaborate the concept add the Base Power, Priority and such things as well
Mention he main reason why you want such a move and elaborate a bit on exactly how the move works and any metagame changes it could possibly make

As for me, i would really like a Grass & Fire(maybe Electric as well) variation of quick attack
Maybe I would also like the Fire variation to be Special
You see Water has aqua jet but Grass & Fire lack such a good priority move

To be fair with Water as well i would love a Water variation of Double-Edge as well
Fire has Flare Blitz and Grass has Wood Hammer(If Electric is considered, it has Volt-Tackle as well)
So such a move with high Base Power and a bit recoil wont do much harm(not literally though)

Now post the move(s) which you would like to see :)

Note- Please respect each other's opinion and dont post rude comments if you dont agree with them.
If in-case you do not agree with someone, post in-depth reasoning for your opinion with complete due respect to their opinions.

Last edited:
Combust
Type: Fire
Damage: 40 (special)
Effect: Has increased priority +1
Accuracy: 100
Description/Comment: User causes a small explosion near the target, this move always goes first. Gives fire type priority, based on the concept of spontaneous combustion which explains the priority.

Flash Freeze
Type: Ice
Damage: None
Effect: Freezes target
Accuracy: 75%
Description/Comment: User quickly cools the target freezing them solid. Gives ice types good a good way to freeze their targets.

Divebomb
Type: Flying
Damage: 90 (Physical)
Effect: None
Description/Comment: User dives down on target from above. This move is for physical oriented flying types who don't have brave bird like Salamence or Hawlucha.

Corrode
Type: Poison
Damage: 80 (Special)
Effect: Deals super effective damage on steel types
Description: User attacks with a powerful burst of acid. This attack is super effective on steel types.

Luminous Buster
Type: Fairy
Damage: 110 (Special)
Effect: Lowers attack by one stage 20% of the time
Accuracy: 80
Description/Comment: User attacks with a powerful, concentrated blast of light. This may also lower the target's attack stat. The fairy type version of fire blast, blizzard etc based on Nanoha Takamachi's famous attack from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Pressure Slam
Type: Water
Damage: 120 (Physical)
Effect: User takes recoil damage (same as double edge)
Description/Comment: User slams into target covered in highly pressurized water. This also damages the user quite a lot. Water type double edge just as the board maker ordered.

Rock Swing
Type: Rock
Damage: 85 (Physical)
Effect: Flinches target 10% of the time
Description/Comment: User picks up a rock and slams it into the target. This may make the target flinch. Trying to come up with a strong, accurate rock type move as an alternative to stone edge. Throwing rocks won't do since rocks are heavy projectiles that aren't very aerodynamic which is probably why most rock moves are inaccurate. So then I thought what about picking up a rock as an improvised weapon and beaning the target with it? Would explain the accuracy since most other melee attacks are 100% accurate. Not sure how pokemon without arms would use it though which could lead to small distribution.

Last edited:
Combust
Description/Comment: User causes a small explosion near the target, this move always goes first. Gives fire type priority, based on the concept of spontaneous combustion which explains the priority.

Flash Freeze
Effect: Freezes target
Accuracy: 75%
Description/Comment: User quickly cools the target freezing them solid. Gives ice types good a good way to freeze their targets.

Divebomb
Damage: 90 (Physical)
Effect: None
Description/Comment: User dives down on target from above. This move is for physical oriented flying types who don't have brave bird like Salamence or Hawlucha.

Corrode
Effect: Deals super effective damage on steel types
Description: User attacks with a powerful burst of acid. This attack is super effective on steel types.

Luminous Buster
Damage: 110 (Special)
Effect: Lowers attack by one stage 20% of the time
Description/Comment: User attacks with a powerful, concentrated blast of light. This may also lower the target's attack stat. The fairy type version of fire blast, blizzard etc based on Nanoha Takamachi's famous attack from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Pressure Slam
Type: Water
Damage: 120 (Physical)
Effect: User takes recoil damage (same as double edge)
Description/Comment: User slams into target covered in highly pressurized water. This also damages the user quite a lot. Water type double edge just as the board maker ordered.

Rock Swing
Damage: 85 (Physical)
Effect: Flinches target 10% of the time
Description/Comment: User picks up a rock and slams it into the target. This may make the target flinch. Trying to come up with a strong, accurate rock type move as an alternative to stone edge. Throwing rocks won't do since rocks are heavy projectiles that aren't very aerodynamic which is probably why most rock moves are inaccurate. So then I thought what about picking up a rock as an improvised weapon and beaning the target with it? Would explain the accuracy since most other melee attacks are 100% accurate. Not sure how pokemon without arms would use it though which could lead to small distribution.

I literally had the same idea, with the exact name and effect and was eager to post it. Wow aha.

As for me, i would really like a Grass & Fire(maybe Electric as well) variation of quick attack
Maybe I would also like the Fire variation to be Special
You see Water has aqua jet but Grass & Fire lack such a good priority move[/I]

I can almost hear Scizor crying lol.

Steel_Justice above did a nice job. Things like Corrode I can totally see coming.
I always didn't understand why there's no stronger special Ghost move. Shadow Ball is nice and all, but it's too weak. Special Ghost equivalent of EQ maybe.

Pyrokinesis
Type: Psychic
Effect: Is also treated like a Fire-Type move. 30% chance to cause a burn.

Lens Flare - a Fairy-type Special version of Sucker Punch.

@Steel_Justice;
Wow SJ each and every move so clever
I can see more than half of those moves becoming reality

Comust and Pressure Slam was super- intelligent

So why dont you think of a grass type priority move
Even I had an idea of basing the fire-type priority on spontaneous combustion(since tis year we learned about it in detail)

The most intelligent one there in my opinion was Flash Freeze
There really needs to be a reliable way to freeze targets

@maneaterliongirafff1 ;
I do agree that Ghost needs more powerful moves

I think a Ghost type variation of Double Edge would be super-awesome

@Gard81;
Pyrokinesis is an awesome idea
But i think the name Pixie Flare would sound more like a Fire-Fairy move

Also Lens Flare is awesome but it sounds like a Fire type move more than a Fairy type

All of you, that were some really awesome ideas!!!

@Steel_Justice;
Wow SJ each and every move so clever
I can see more than half of those moves becoming reality

Comust and Pressure Slam was super- intelligent

So why dont you think of a grass type priority move
Even I had an idea of basing the fire-type priority on spontaneous combustion(since tis year we learned about it in detail)

The most intelligent one there in my opinion was Flash Freeze
There really needs to be a reliable way to freeze targets

@maneaterliongirafff1 ;
I do agree that Ghost needs more powerful moves

I think a Ghost type variation of Double Edge would be super-awesome

@Gard81;
Pyrokinesis is an awesome idea
But i think the name Pixie Flare would sound more like a Fire-Fairy move

Also Lens Flare is awesome but it sounds like a Fire type move more than a Fairy type

All of you, that were some really awesome ideas!!!

Thank you for the compliment. And in spite of its name, Lens Flare has almost nothing to do with Fire. Look it up on Wikipedia.

Thank you for the compliment. And in spite of its name, Lens Flare has almost nothing to do with Fire. Look it up on Wikipedia.

ok i mistook pyrokinesis as well
i named it myself like a fairy-fire type move not a psychic- fire type
i made two mistakes judging your names and soory for that :(
but great job!! :)

This looks interesting. Well, here I go:

Ear Sealing (みみせん Mimisen - Earplugs)
Type: Normal
Category: Status
Power: - Accuracy: - PP: 10
Target: Self
Description: The user closes its auditive canals for 5 turns, making it immune to sound moves.
Battle animation: Hands would appear on both sides of the user's head, and they would press it, as if the hands were trying to cover the user's ears.

This move would allow Pokémon without the Soundproof ability to have some immunity against sound moves, which can get annoying sometimes.

Hailstorm (こうりのうず Kōri no uzu - Ice Vortex)
Category: Special
Power: 35 Accuracy: 85% PP: 15
Target: Any adjacent Pokémon
Description: The target is trapped in a vortex of hail for up to 5 turns. It may freeze the target while it is trapped.
Battle animation: A dark cloud appears over the target. A shower of hail accompanied with a strong wind would hit the target every turn.

Essentially, Hailstorm would be a variation of Clamp, but it would have a 20% chance of freezing the target.

Atomic Blast (アトミックブラスト Atomic Blast)
Type: Electric
Category: Special
Power: 150 Accuracy: 90% PP: 5
Target: Any adjacent Pokémon
Description: The user relies on atomic energy to fire a very powerful blast of electricity. It always burns the target.
Battle animation: The screen turns green-yellow and focuses on the user. Red-coloured atoms begin to revolve around the user at a fast speed. All the animation stops for a fraction of a second, and then it suddenly becomes green-yellow again, and a huge lightning is fired at the target.

Yet another variation on an existing attack, this time Hyper Beam. Instead of paralyzing the target, it would burn it (atomic explosions leave burns). I could see this one being the signature move of a Legendary Pokémon.

I'm back and this time with grass type priority. It was tricky to think of something at first because grass attacks have become strange and seemingly inconsistent with how they are categorized. Trying to think of moves with interesting effects but it's rather difficult so I mostly have variations today.

Leaf Blow
Type: Grass
Damage:40 (Special)
Description/Comment: User quickly blows leaves at the target, this move always goes first. Why is razor leaf physical while leaf tornado is special? At first I thought it was because razor leaf is sharp but then I realized that razor leaf is often portrayed as launched by the user's body, leaf tornado is launched with wind like in a gust attack which explains why it's special. This attack goes first because it is a quick blow from the lungs instead of having to build up and control air pressure like in other wind based moves.

Gigavolt
Damage: 120 (Special)
Effect: Recoil
Description/Comment: User attacks with a massive bolt of overcharged electricity. This also damages the user quite a lot. Another electric typed version of double edge but since Volt tackle is exclusive to Pikachu's line and that most electric types are special based this would give them extra options. The idea is that the user generates and launches more electricity than their body can handle which explains the recoil.

Graviton Press
Type: Psychic
Damage: ? (Special)
Effect: Deals more damage the heavier the target
Description: User increases gravity around the target. The heavier the target, the greater the damage. A psychic type move that uses gravity to crush the opponent under their own weight, similar to low kick and grass knot.

Reaper Slash
Type: Ghost
Damage: 80 (Physical)
Effect: Does Special Damage
Description/Comment: User attacks with a blade cloaked in spirit energy. This attack does special damage. The opposite move to psyshock. Based on the idea in fiction of a weapon that harms the soul on impact rather than the body like Soul Edge from Soul Calibur.

Enigma Stinger
Damage: 80 (Physical)
Effect: Causes paralyze, poison or sleep
Description/Comment: User stings the target and injects a strange toxin. May also poison, paralyze or leave the target with sleep. Based on tri attack. The effects are chosen from what real life poison can do to you.

Ground Freeze
Damage none
Effect: Decreases accuracy for pokemon who are not ice type or are flying/levitating
Description/Comment: User coats the ground with ice for 5 turns. Pokemon on the ground have reduced accuracy. We've seen it happen so many times in the anime when an ice type move freezes the ground and Ash's pokemon start slipping like idiots. The accuracy reduction is because pokemon on the ground randomly slip when launching an attack causing it to veer off target. Ice types are used to traveling on such terrain so they aren't bothered and aerial pokemon don't touch the ground so they're immune.

Last edited:
Velocity Slash
Damage: ? (physical)
Description/Comment: User attacks by building momentum for a slash. The faster the user is the greater the damage. Great for fast flying types like Ninjask

Spellstrike
Damage: 80 (special)
Description/Comment: User attacks with a solid object made from mysterious power, this attack does physical damage. Helps fairy types get past special bulk and sort of help with the lack of physical attacks.

Ice Armor
Accuracy: N/A
Description/Comment: User cloaks itself with solid ice, adds ice-type damage to attacks and doubles defense. Trying to come up with a new effect and I'm trying elemental armor. All attacks gain ice damage since projectiles are formed near the body and are cooled before launching. STAB is applied when applicable and the defense bonus is like how tailwind boosts speed.

Flare Up
Accuracy: N/A
Description/Comment: User ignites itself on fire, adds fire type damage to attacks and may burn targets (30% same as flame body, does not stack with flame body) who make contact with this pokemon. Similar to ice armor as described above.

Shatterpunch
Type: Fighting
Damage: ? (Physical)
Description/Comment: User attacks weak points in the target's body, the greater the target's defense the greater the damage. High defense in pokemon usually means the pokemon has some sort of armor or hard/heavy body, bones etc. The concept of this attack is one that turns the target's armor against them by shattering it and driving hard armor, skin, bones into their body to deal damage.

Last edited:
These are a couple ideas I've either adapted from someone else's idea (not in this thread mind you), or completely original.

Thunder Face:
Power: 20
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 20
Special
Description: The user charges up electricity into their head and launches it in the mold of their face. Paralyzes the target on contact. Basically a special version of Nuzzle but far more satisfying.

Starstorm:
Type: Steel/Rock/Ice, preferably Rock or Steel since they lack in super powerful special moves.
Power: 110
Accuracy: 85%
PP: 10
Special
Description: The user calls to the heavens which answers with a meteor shower. If it misses, deals 1/16 total damage to the adjacent Pokemon's HP (enemy). Based upon the Final Smash of Ness and Lucas in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Its not a Psychic move because these are real meteors made of rock, metal, and ice.

Dual Savagery:
Type: Dark
Power: 65
Physical
Description: The user calls on its dark emotions and beats the target furiously. Does 130 damage if an adjacent Pokemon uses it on the same turn.

Flak Cannon:
Type: Rock/Steel, same scenario as Starstorm.
Power: 110
Accuracy: 85%
Special
Description: The user forms a projectile in its gaping maw which explodes upon impact. If it misses, deals 1/16 damage total to the adjacent Pokemon's HP (enemy). Based upon a tank's cannon or a self propelled gun and German 88mm anti-aircraft guns during WW2.

Patriotism:
Power: 100
Accuracy: 95%
Physical
Description: The user defends its country/trainer and attacks the target with a vengeance. Super Effective against Dark and Steel types, (because Dark and Steel tend to represent oppression that manifests itself as an evil iron fist).

That's all I got.

Charged Whip
Type: Grass (Physical)
Power: 85
Accuracy: 90%
Effect: If the target isn't immune to Electric, it is also Electric-type.

This is an idea for a dual-type move. It is both Electric- and Grass-type, with the caveat that it only becomes Electric-type if it can hit, which makes it so that Ground-types will take damage as well. It is a deterrent for Water-types because it hits most of them for quadruple damage, unless they have a type that makes Grass damage or Electric damage less effective. It would seem that it is easy to do a lot of damage with this combo, but a lot of types resist it, including: Grass (1/4), Dragon (1/4), Poison (1/2), Fire (1/2), Bug (1/2), Electric (1/2), Steel (1/2).

Switch Bomb
Type: Normal (Special)
Power: 130
Accuracy: --%
Effect: On your opponent's third switch, this moves deal damage.

Essentially similar to Future Sight, except it affects switching. It will put the opponent in a bind once activated, and its power will be devastating unless they are using a Ghost-type, which the opponent could easily take advantage of.

Eerie Wail
Type: Ghost (Special)
Power: 90
Effect: Hits every target around user.

The only sound move that is effective against Ghost-types is Snarl, which is weak. This move is like Hyper Voice with the range of Boomburst, and its good power is sure to be useful. With a Normal-type with Boomburst and Ghost-type with this move, it will affect most targets with some good power, unless they use one of the very few types that resist Normal/Ghost.

Thanks for reading.

Not new moves per se, but I've thought about new effects for two existing moves.

Sunny Day
Additional effect: Grass types recover 1/8 of their max HP if the weather was previously Rain.
All other properties are the same as for Gen 6.

Rain Dance
Additional effect: Grass types recover 1/8 of their max HP if the weather was previously Sunny.
All other properties are the same as for Gen 6.

Wow guys!!
Those were some awesome ideas!!
Especially @Steel_Justice;
Nintendo has asked to hire you for the Pokemon moves dept.

Ha ha if only. Would certainly put an end to my job search woes.

Charged Whip
Eerie Wail
Thanks for reading.

I really like this move it sounds like something from the myth of the Banshee from Irish Mythology . If they ever make a ghost type based on one (hopefully a ghost/fairy) this should be one if its moves imo. I also like that switch mine idea, would be good in a prolonged battle with lots of switching.

Static Shock (not to be confused with the cartoon)
Description/Effect: User causes a static discharge on the target, this attack always goes first. Electric type quick attack, always goes first because static charge is already present it just needs to be activated by moving the charge.

Dragon Munch
Type: Dragon
Damage: 70 (physical)
Description/Comment: User bites down on the target with great force, this attack may make the target flinch (30%). Dragon types can use their stab to attack opponents with their claws, breath and tails but no biting moves? Something needs to be done. Would work well with Tyrantrum.

Sabotage
Damage: 65 (physical)
Description/Comment: User attacks and vandalizes the target's item. Items affected have their positive effects reversed. Example leftovers hurts you each turn, choice band decreases your physical attack, life orb decreases your damage output but still inflicts recoil, king's rock causes you to flinch when taking damage etc. A very nasty attack for those who greatly depend on items.

Sleeperhold
Description/Comment: User grapples the target and holds on vigorously, may cause sleep (30%). If you watch or know anything about wrestling you probably know where this comes from.

Last edited:
Ha ha if only. Would certainly put an end to my job search woes.

Charged Whip
Eerie Wail
Thanks for reading.

I really like this move it sounds like something from the myth of the Banshee from Irish Mythology . If they ever make a ghost type based on one (hopefully a ghost/fairy) this should be one if its moves imo. I also like that switch mine idea, would be good in a prolonged battle with lots of switching.

Static Shock (not to be confused with the cartoon)
Description/Effect: User causes a static discharge on the target, this attack always goes first. Electric type quick attack, always goes first because static charge is already present it just needs to be activated by moving the charge.

Dragon Munch
Type: Dragon
Description/Comment: User bites down on the target with great force, this attack may make the target flinch (30%). Dragon types can use their stab to attack opponents with their claws, breath and tails but no biting moves? Something needs to be done. Would work well with Tyrantrum.

Sabotage
Damage: 65 (physical)
Description/Comment: User attacks and vandalizes the target's item. Items affected have their positive effects reversed. Example leftovers hurts you each turn, choice band decreases your physical attack, life orb decreases your damage output but still inflicts recoil, king's rock causes you to flinch when taking damage etc. A very nasty attack for those who greatly depend on items.

Sleeperhold
Description/Comment: User grapples the target and holds on vigorously, may cause sleep (30%). If you watch or know anything about wrestling you probably know where this comes from.

Awesome moves!

I think every type should have a priority move. I've always thought it odd that Aerial Ace, which is explained as being blindingly fast, doesn't get priority. Of course, it has 60BP and never misses, but it seems like it should be a priority move to me...

Awesome moves!

I think every type should have a priority move. I've always thought it odd that Aerial Ace, which is explained as being blindingly fast, doesn't get priority. Of course, it has 60BP and never misses, but it seems like it should be a priority move to me...

Thanks for that. I have a theory of why aerial ace doesn't have priority and is a variant of swift. Increased priority attacks are moves that are mostly possible because they can be executed spontaneously and quickly which is a theme that I have on my priority moves. Aerial Ace in Japan is called Tsubame Gaeshi (translated as Swallow Reversal hence the flying type) named after the famous technique from Sasaki Kojiro (who James in Japan is named after btw). In media where Kojiro appears with this move (like Fate/Stay Night) it's presented as fast and unavoidable but he has to take precise aim and focus before the attack. That's why Aerial Ace has perfect accuracy but normal priority you need to take time to get precise aim but once you have it it's too fast in execution to dodge. But now on to some more moves, some a friend of mine helped make since he plays a lot of RPGs

Sting Break
Type: Bug
Damage: 30 (physical)
Description/Comment: User stings the target and breaks off the stinger, the target takes damage when they make a move. The idea is similar to how honey bees dislodge their stingers into human flesh upon stinging. Except here it's on purpose and the target takes damage because they're trying to move with a large barbed stinger lodged in them. The move can be used more times to increase damage done each turn but is reset upon switch.

Soul Body
Type: Psychic or Fairy (he couldn't decide though he is leaning towards fairy)
Damage: ?
Description/Comment: User manifests their spirit with mysterious power and attacks, this attack deals more damage the higher the user's special defense. Guy's a big fan of Mega Man but it is a nice idea since special defense can be seen as a strong spirit against energy attacks. Psychic and Fairy types also tend to have high special defense which helps.

Spiral Stones
Damage: none
Description/Comment: User levitates and spins circle of stones around itself, inflicts rock type damage upon contact for 5 turns. Not sure on the damage but it's an idea he got from Vergil's spiral swords from Devil May Cry 3. The rocks deal extra damage when you make contact and discourage opponents from making contact with you.

Doppelganger
Description/Comment: User creates a copy of the opponent using some of its HP. The copy serves as the user's decoy and has the type of the opponent it was used with. A variation of substitute where your sub has your opponent's (at the time) type and has the appropriate match up which doesn't change if they switch. Can be better than substitute or worse depending on the user and current opponent.

Poltergeist
Type: Ghost
Description/Comment: User employs mysterious power to create a hostile environment, opposing pokemon take varying types of damage and effects depending where this move is used. Sort of like secret power as a passive attack. I got the idea from those scenes in Poltergeist where the ghost causes the person's house to come alive and attack them. Effects and damage depend on the environment like secret power.

Supernova
Damage: 140 (special)
Description/Comment: User attacks the target by creating a miniature sun, this attack may badly poison the opponent (30%). This is a move for a sun/day/light based legendary. The attack causes bad poison as a substitute for radiation poisoning which just gets worse over time. This move hits multiple opponents. Bad accuracy is a balancing factor and explained as the attack taking a while to prepare giving time to move out of the way. Based on a Final Fantasy move of the same name though a bit similar to szmty's atomic blast in a way.

Cry in the Night
Type: Ghost (special)
Damage: 100
Accuracy: 90
Description/Comment: User surrounds the target in shadows and attacks with frightening sounds and images, this move may lower the target's special attack and special defense (40%). A move for a moon/night/darkness based legendary. Special stats are lowered because the sounds and images are traumatizing and damaging to the spirit and mind. Based off Seed Flare and several shadowy moves from Final Fantasy. Try and guess which one the name comes from ^-^.

Last edited:
Wavepool (マルチ津波 Maruchi tsunami-Multi Tsunami)
Type: Water (Special)
Power: ?
Effect: Does recoil against the opponent for 5 turns. Confuses Pokémon resistant against that move.

Blue Volt (青ボルト Ao boruto-Blue Volt

Back
Top Bottom