• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Regional Variants?

zakisrage

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
What ideas do you guys have for regional variants? What parts of the world would you put them in?

I think it would be cool to have an Ice-type Arcanine for a region based on Russia (because of Siberian tigers) or a Dark-type Swanna with black feathers for a region based on Australia.

When alolan forms were revealed I wanted a Dragon/Water Dragonite since they seem to be skipping it for a mega. The idea would be since the region is made up of islands Dragonite don't need to fly because they can just swim from island to island. It would look closer to Dragonair in color and appearance.

A Steel/Dragon Hydreigon would be sick since it was the original design. Maybe in a region where there are lots of fairy and ice types Deino adapted to the predators by ingesting large amounts of ore like Aron and turned into steel types to survive. Marowak has a similar story behind its alolan form so it could happen.

Since Volcarona is a fire type that is based on the sun a Bug/Water or a Bug/Ghost variant based on the moon would be pretty cool.

A while back I had this hilarious idea for a Fighting/Water variant of Machamp. Machamp's underwear turns into swim trunks, it gets webbing on its hands and the crests on its head turn into fins. This variant would be a Machamp that lives and trains on shores by swimming and wrestling other Machamps..

A Bug/Water Masquerain in an area where it didn't need the ability to fly (so a place with less aquatic predators for it?). It would stay as a pond skater like Surskit, Bug/Water with Speed Boost.

Grass/Fire Lilligant Grass/Fire Lilligant Grass/Fire Lilligant Grass/Fire Lilligant

Fire dances are a traditional thing in many parts of the world, where a Lilligant variant could fit in. Of course this would include the move.

It helps that there's a fire lily (no, not the other one) which Lilligant resembles, too.

Dragon/Fairy Dragonair which has a higher BST and cannot evolve (like Eternal Floette), and evolves at a higher level to compensate for new high BST.

Ice/Psychic Noctowl/Hoothoot based on Snowy Owls.

Supposing we get regional variants again, what kind of ideas do you guys have for regional variants in a UK-inspired region?

I posted this idea in a similar thread, but I thought it'd be kind of cool to see like a water type version of Glameow/Purugly. I can't remember exactly all the ideas/reasons I put in though, but it'd be interesting and funny imo to see Purugly float on the water with it's bulky body, similar to Marill's tail in a way I guess.

A dark type Growlithe/Arcanine was another I recently thought would be cool for a Romania based region.

I just had this idea of making a Zigzagoon regional variant which looks like a Pomeranian for a UK region since Queen Victoria made Pomeranians famous (and tiny).

Last edited:
A Grass-type or Grass/Poison Trubbish and Garbodor based on compost would be a neat idea.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom