• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Dragon-Type is the best type statistically, what's the second best?

Kaljinyu

Reaction score
According to Bulbapedia...

The Dragon type is statistically the best type overall.

That got me to wondering, have the types been sorted into tiers? Or a list of best to worst? I'd like to know what the next best type is. And then the one after that, and so on, and so forth.

Or does it just say that because Dragon types are responsible for the most pseudo-legendaries and are basically just generally really strong Pokémon?

The second best type is either Fighting-Type or Water-Type. The reason why Dragon is the best type is because every type except Steel aren't immune to their raw power, and they're also equipped with Fire and Fighting moves to break through Steel types. They also outclass Fire types, which why they're suffering on the low tiers.

Or does it just say that because Dragon types are responsible for the most pseudo-legendaries and are basically just generally really strong Pokémon?

I believe it means that on average the Dragon types have the best stats by taking the data of each dragon's base stats and comparing them to the averages of the other types. It doesn't have anything to do with tiers.

So it's not based on statistical averages? What's it based on?

The statment, as in, "statistically", reffers to stat averages.

Tiering is a completelly different concept that is based on character usability and influence over the game (so those with a higher influence can be restricted to higher tiers)

The sentence has nothing to do with tiering, nor is it saying it is the best type altogether, it is saying it literally has the best stats.

Therefore, to answer the question, the "statistically best" second type would be Steel, followed by Psychic and then Ice. None of this is saying the types are good, rather than just that there are plenty of pokémon with good stats in them. (Ice is a terrible type and it being so high is all alone a result of Kyurem)

For the actual best types... generally, the pokémon themselves and how they relate to other pokémon is what matters. And even when thinking of the types abstractly, while one can "score" the types by resistances and effectiveness, the relation between the individual types matters more.

I would say Normal would be second to due to Pokémon like Blissey, Tarous, Slaking etc...

The statment, as in, "statistically", reffers to stat averages.

Tiering is a completelly different concept that is based on character usability and influence over the game (so those with a higher influence can be restricted to higher tiers)

The sentence has nothing to do with tiering, nor is it saying it is the best type altogether, it is saying it literally has the best stats.

Therefore, to answer the question, the "statistically best" second type would be Steel, followed by Psychic and then Ice. None of this is saying the types are good, rather than just that there are plenty of pokémon with good stats in them. (Ice is a terrible type and it being so high is all alone a result of Kyurem)

For the actual best types... generally, the pokémon themselves and how they relate to other pokémon is what matters. And even when thinking of the types abstractly, while one can "score" the types by resistances and effectiveness, the relation between the individual types matters more.

Ice isn't a terrible type... it's terrible defensibly but great offensively like Steel who is more defensive but near worthless Offensively (except for a few)

Ice isn't a terrible type... it's terrible defensibly but great offensively like Steel who is more defensive but near worthless Offensively (except for a few)
No, Ice is bad. Steel does okay, because many Steel type pokémon are tanks that take good advantage of the defensive capabilities while being able to pack an okay STAB (not good, but those neutral hits are pretty okay)
Meanwhile a big part of Ice pokémon aren't good, as for some unfanthomable reason they try to be tanks and even walls. Powerful STAB Ice attacks are fine, but Water types do Ice types's job much better with it as a coverage/anti-dragon option.
Not to mention that, abstractly, for being the worst type defensively it isn't the best offensively either. Ground, another offensive type, does much better.

I think there are many reasons, as to why the Dragon type is the strongest statistically for type, stats, wide move-pool etc. Now as for the type that seconds the Dragon type I would have to say Water.

Not only is Water one of the stronger types it also melds so very well, when placed with the Dragon type. Kingdra would be a great individual example, but in general when Water and Dragon Pokemon are mixed together they seem to work in a certain harmony whilst in battle. These two types are also my most favoured types, so it may seem a bit biased on my part, but when you take a closer look at the Water type Pokemon and their abilities it may make sense.

Well it's just in my experience of using these two types together anyway that makes me think this.

Dragon clearly is the best type, and Gamefreak is obviously aware of that, since they have not even tried to balance it. Resisted by only one type, and only weak to other Dragons and the worst type in the game, many good Dragon types, and now more Dragon Legendaries.

Second best type is probably Water, which is Masuda's favorite type, so I sense a bias here as well. At least neutral on most thing, two weaknesses, and often combined with other good types.

I think the Electric-Type is pretty good offencivly. They can hit hard with Special Electric-Type attacks which isn't affected by abilitys that require contact to work, and can hit Water-Types for good damage, which sounds pretty good from what I heard about Water-Types being a pretty good type. Even though most arn't defencive, Ground-Types moves are the only ones that do Super-Effective damage, which sounds good to me. Some of them are fast too.

Traditionally, the types that do the best are, in this order: Dragon, Steel, Water.

Think of all the most competitively scary pokemon... Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Latios, Latias, Heatran, Jirachi, Metagross, Magnezone, Scizor, Skarmory, Gyarados, Starmie, Wash Rotom, and so on.

Second best type is probably Water, which is Masuda's favorite type, so I sense a bias here as well. At least neutral on most thing, two weaknesses, and often combined with other good types.

No wonder there's so many of them in total on the national dex. >_<

I think the Electric-Type is pretty good offencivly. They can hit hard with Special Electric-Type attacks which isn't affected by abilitys that require contact to work, and can hit Water-Types for good damage, which sounds pretty good from what I heard about Water-Types being a pretty good type. Even though most arn't defencive, Ground-Types moves are the only ones that do Super-Effective damage, which sounds good to me. Some of them are fast too.

But they lack coverage against their only weakness, so they're quickly discarded unless they're as bulky as Magnezone and Wash Rotom. Jolteon's a rare case because of his speed being similar to Mewtwo's.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom