• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Gen 9 is for the Android/iphone?

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
How I would see it is if each phone have their exclusive version of the games. for example ''Pokemon Plus is for the Android'' whilst ''Pokemon Minus is for the iphone''. There are transactions for items and clothing in the games, and would have a bigger post-game after completing it. I know that is a faraway thought, I'm just suggesting of what it could be. You might even get updates that would allow you to travel to past regions. I like to hear what you think about this possibility.

The thought of an entire core Pokemon game being made for smartphones is just not realistic imo. For starters, I don't even want to imagine how much space that would take up on my phone even without constant updates, nor do I think that Game Freak would do DLC since they're staunchly against stuff like that.

Locking it to brands seems like a really bad idea...

Even though phones are quite powerful, the experience of poking a small touchscreen is far inferior to a console or PC. I wouldn't like it. Also, it would probably be riddled with microtransactions, and that would spoil the game so much for me.

That would be interesting I guess, although the graphics would almost certainly revert back to a more basic form. I also don't like the thought of pay-to-play, so I really hope that Gamefreak sticks to making console games.

Aside from the obvious storage issue it would present, I would also like to mention that I don't think a mobile Pokémon core series game can achieve the same level of depth and breadth as its predecessors. Lack of space and just an odd medium all-round make for an awkward setting. Additionally, we may have moved into an age where children may have mobile devices, but that would spell bad news for whatever console/handheld/product Nintendo has out.

How I would see it is if each phone have their exclusive version of the games. for example ''Pokemon Plus is for the Android'' whilst ''Pokemon Minus is for the iphone''.

Imagine something akin to the Dexit controversy, but now much bigger and involving the usual "iSheep" and "Androne" crowds. Imagine a world where not only is the national dex non-existent, but you must now pay micro-transactions to even complete the regional Pokedex. That "post game content" would also be lock behind micro-transactions, most likely specific items needed to compete with or unlock characters, evolutions, legendaries, etc.

I honestly believe that mobile and the standard core RPG can coexist, but if the mainline games were to transition fully over to mobile, then it would only exasperate the issues the series has been facing. Why even create a fully fledged RPG at this point? It would be dumbed down even further to its basest essentials and streamlined for mobile.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom