• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Gold ever became a trainer like Red...

For me Ethan's team is:

Meganium/Typhlosion/Feraligatr
Togekiss
Sudowoodo
Red Gyarados
Extremespeed Dragonite
Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop

I put the last one there because you get a Tyrogue from Kiyo in Mt. Mortar just like Red's Eevee its not in your way to get but he has it. Also he may have all the starters to not make one canon over the others just like with Red.

extrememespeed dratini.

..Am I missing something? Is it a HGSS thing? Because in GSC I don't recall ever receiving a Dratini. You had to go out and catch one.

I still stick to my claim of Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Togekiss, Sudowoodo, and Gyarados.

..Oh wait, no. Togekiss would be Dawn's Pokemon. So..

I guess if you retrieve Dratini somehow, then Dragonite. I don't like the idea, but whatever.

Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Dragonite, Sudowoodo, and Gyarados.

..Am I missing something? Is it a HGSS thing? Because in GSC I don't recall ever receiving a Dratini. You had to go out and catch one.

It happened in C and HGSS. In GS, you had to catch one. In C,HG and SS you could get one from the Dragon Master by answering the questions correctly.

If Brendan/May had an ultimate team, I'd say:

Sceptile
Blaziken
Swampert
Wobbuffet
Metagross
Kecleon

Reasons:
-The final evolutions of the three starters.
-Wobbuffet from the Wynaut egg you recieve in Lavaridge Town.
-Metagross evolved from the Beldum Steven Stone leaves for you at his house.
-Kecleon (With GREAT IVs and EVs) from the events in Fortree City

For Lucas/Dawn:

Torterra
Infernape
Empoleon
Togekiss
Lucario
Porygon-Z

Reasons:
-Final evolutions of the starters.
-From the Togepi egg you recieve.
-From the Riolu egg you obtain from helping Riley at Iron Island.
-From the Porygon you receive from a man Veilstone City (who escaped from Team Galactic HQ).

I'm going off Platinum, btw.

I think Gold/Ethan should have:

Feraligatr
Typhlosion
Meganium
Gyarados (Shiny)

and 2 more might be one of these:

Espeon/Umbreon (Bill in Goldenrod City)
Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop (Karate King in Mt.Mortar)
Lapras (Union Cave B2F every Friday)
Snorlax (Vermillion City)
Fearow (Delivery Bird)
Togekiss (Togepi Egg)
Dragonite (Dragon's Den)
Sudowoodo (Near Ecruteak/Violet)
Shuckle (Cianwood City)

What I believe Gold should have, not that he necessarily would have:
Meganium
Light Clay
- Light Screen
- Aromatherapy
- Ancient Power
- Grass Knot

Reason: It's the final evolution of the Grass starter.
Role: Mainly support. Meganium isn't a massively offensive Pokémon and there's no point making it into something that it is not.
Other viable moves: Synthesis, Leech Seed, Reflect, Frenzy Plant

Typhlosion
Expert Belt
- Eruption
- Lava Plume
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Punch

Reason: It's the final evolution of the Fire starter.
Role: Straight out special attacker, the stat that it excels in. Thunder Punch is due to a shallow movepool and Extrasensory is going to be elsewhere.
Other viable moves: Overheat, Blast Burn, Solarbeam?

Feraligatr
Muscle Band
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Reason: Final evolution of the Water starter.
Role: Physical stat boosting attacker. Priority is nice here.
Other viable moves: Dragon Dance, Superpower, Crunch, Waterfall

Togekiss
Leftovers
- Air Slash
- Extrasensory
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder Wave

Reason: You recieve a Togepi egg early on in the game at Violet City. Its significance was increased in HGSS.
Role: Flinch hax bitch.
Other viable moves: Nasty Plot, Roost, pretty much every special move in the game etc Extremespeed goes elsewhere.

Umbreon
Lum Berry
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Payback

Reason: Evolves from Eevee, a gift Pokémon. It's from the second Generation and 'rights the wrong of taking Red's Espeon away'.
Role: Staller.
Other viable moves: Moonlight, Curse.

Dragonite
White Herb
- Extremespeed
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

Reason: Dratini is a gift Pokémon with the move Extremespeed
Role: Mixed Sweeperish
Other viable moves: The Punches, Elemental Beams, Outrage, Roost, Light Screen etc.

So yeah I included items because you know, we all abuse them. I don't care for the Hyper Beam variants as those are counter productive to actually being a challenge. I went for gift Pokémon over 'encounter' Pokémon as I feel that gift Pokémon are more special as they are a one-time thing.

For why I didn't choose these Pokémon:

Shuckle - You keep it for a while and the collector asks for it back. You don't have to give it back but you can go and get your own easily north of Cianwood.
Red Gyarados - I can get my Red Scale by KO. Lance doesn't think any less of me for doing so. It respawns as well. How special.
Snorlax - Red has one and it appears after the 'main' game.
Sudowoodo - I actually want a challenge kthnxbye.

For why I didn't choose these Pokémon:

Red Gyarados - I can get my Red Scale by KO. Lance doesn't think any less of me for doing so. It respawns as well. How special.

It's far more special than Red's Snorlax and Snorlax would also respawn if the game was made today.

Either way I can picture Brendan fighting Gold in Meteor Falls where he fights Steven

It's far more special than Red's Snorlax and Snorlax would also respawn if the game was made today.

Oh I have issues with Red's team don't get me wrong. If I had my way that Snorlax wouldn't be there. Especially as they gave it two special moves when its Special Attack is below average. I would have given Red a Hitmonchan instead.

I think that this would be cool:

Feraligatr

Meganium

Typhlosion

Heracross

Togekiss

Mismagius EDIT: (I actually think that Tyrannitar would fill a better role here.)

Last edited:
Starters, very good Sudowoodo, Kingdra (Since Silver has Crobat and those two are sort of opposites in gen II) and Togekiss.

In the manga he has Typhlosion and ale the others except his togepi hasn't evolved, so I think this is a very fit-able team!

They are both extensions of a 2x Gen II line. Not like clearly opposites or something, but I like to think of it that way. Also, I don't believe it has been "used up" so it fits good..

(Snorlax and Lapras is used up by red, Gyarados and Dragonite is used up by Lance etc)

(Snorlax and Lapras is used up by red, Gyarados and Dragonite is used up by Lance etc)

That's never really stopped them before. Claire ends up with those two as well. Actually, they're really common on dragon teams.

Gyrados is more important for Gold's team than Lance's anyways.

That crossed my mind, I actually like that a little better.

Other Pokemon that are possible are the ExtremeSpeed Dratini and Shuckle.

I was actually thinking the same with the Extremespeed Dragonite. He became Drake, my PWNAGE Dragonite, so I think he should have it too. Also, if you think about it, to actually get the little guy you have to care for Pokemon. (ex. Q: Who is more important? -Strong Pokémon -Weak Pokémon -Both) Here's my idea.

Meganium
Feraligatr
Typhlosion
Dragonite (w/ Extreemespeed)
Umbreon (if player chose female character)
Espeon (if player chose male character)
Crobat

Sudowoodo hardly seems like the kinda Pokémon that'd be on the Ultimate Trainer's team... although I'll grant that neither does Pikachu.

I'd go for all three starters, Togekiss, ExtremeSpeed Dragonite, and Red Gyarados.

Sudowoodo hardly seems like the kinda Pokémon that'd be on the Ultimate Trainer's team... although I'll grant that neither does Pikachu.

I'd go for all three starters, Togekiss, ExtremeSpeed Dragonite, and Red Gyarados.

Sudowoodo has the same role as Red's Snorlax so I can see him having it.

Mismagius

Where did that come from? o_o

If his team was like Red, he'd have:
Typhlosion - Final evolved starter
Feraligatr - Same
Meganium - Same
Red Gyarados - Like Snorlax, it's one of those Pokemon you talk to and battle
Togekiss - I dunno, it's like Pikachu because it's kinda cute XD
Extremespeed Dragonite - Like Lapras, it's a gift Pokemon

Wow... this is a lot like my team, but replace Togekiss and Dragonite with Ampharos and Noctowl. XD

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom