• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Gold ever became a trainer like Red...

SquirtleMan493

The Man of Squirtles
Reaction score
Basically, if Gold were to ever become an Ultimate Trainer like Red in a future game, what would his canon team be?

I think it'd would be like:
154.png

Meganium
typhlosion.png

Typhlosion
160_feraligatr_1_m.png

Feraligatr
sudowoodo.png

Sudowoodo
Spr_4p_197.png
Spr_4p_196.png

Umbreon / Espeon
143.png

Snorlax

Reasons: All of Red's Pokemon are Pokemon that are presented in a special way. Yellow version gave you Pikachu to start, and then Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. You had two opportunities to catch Snorlax and your rival (Blue) gives you a Lapras. I figure Gold would have Pokemon in a similar way.

The starters' final evolutions, then an Umbreon or Espeon from the Eevee Bill gives you, the Sudowoodo you have to encounter, and then the Snorlax blocking Diglett's Cave (the one Red didn't catch?). I think that would be his team if he ever became a legendary trainer like Red.

Last edited:
Thats a good assumption. But I think since Red's team represents Generation I, Gold would not have Snorlax. Sudowoodo fills in the slot of a "movable Pokemon using a special item" in the game, just like Snorlax, since both have two in their respective titles. I have no idea what the last slot would hold though....I'll get back on that.

I'd replace the eeveelution with Togekiss myself, due to the plot relatedness of Togepi.

I'd replace the eeveelution with Togekiss myself, due to the plot relatedness of Togepi.

That crossed my mind, I actually like that a little better.

Other Pokemon that are possible are the ExtremeSpeed Dratini and Shuckle.

Oooh... Not Shuckle. Ugh, no. But Extremespeed Dragonite might work. It is the mark of acceptance into the Dragon Clan.

I agree. And if not, just like they had changed Red's Espeon and traded it with Lapras, it might just be that Gold's Togepi stays as a Togetic to represent Gen II.

Why not put a Red Gyarados in the last slot? It represent gen2 as that was the gen which introduced shiny.

Seeing as Red and Green's PokeSpe teams seem to reflect their "canon" teams (with a few exceptions to divide the starters), I'd say that Gold would follow suit:

- Typhlosion
- Feraligatr
- Meganium
- Aipom
- Togetic
- Mantine

With Aipom/Togetic evolved, if you like. Considered putting Sudowoodo in there, too...

Why not put a Red Gyarados in the last slot? It represent gen2 as that was the gen which introduced shiny.

This. Red Gyarados would make more sense than a Snorlax.

I'd replace Snorlax with that.

Shuckle was technically supposed to have been given back to its trainer.

I'd replace Snorlax with the Red Gyarados or the Togepi (Togekiss), it makes more sense then the Snorlax, but I don't know why...

I figure he'd have all three starters, the Red Gyarados, a Togekiss, and Umbreon, since Red already owned an Espeon.

If I can't get Umbreon for him, then an ExtremeSpeed Dragonite.

Okay, so

Typhlosion
Meganium
Feraligtr
Togekiss
Sudowoodo
Red Gyrados

Dratini is optional, and depends on what one would answer on the test the man gives you, a player may never get a Dratini with such a moveset! Same for Shuckle, as I never have met Kirk in Cianwood.

By the way, Gold is the unofficial name. Ethan is the official.

JUST SAYING.

Okay, so

Typhlosion
Meganium
Feraligtr
Togekiss
Sudowoodo
Red Gyrados

I think that is the most likely team he'd have (I can't believe I forgot about the Red Gyarados! 8P). Sudowoodo has to be there and Togekiss is excellent.

JUST SAYING.

Gold was considered his name up until HGSS, so I go with that. I personally like it better than "Ethan" and it upsets me Lyra wasn't called "Soul". =[

Just a suggestion but what if we could list teams for the other PCs as well?

Sounds like a cool idea. =]

Dratini is optional, and depends on what one would answer on the test the man gives you, a player may never get a Dratini with such a moveset! Same for Shuckle, as I never have met Kirk in Cianwood.

JUST SAYING.

Yeah but Ethan doesn't sound as threatening as Gold in my opinion...

The three starters, Extremespeed Dragonite, Red Gyarados and Togekiss, that'll do it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom