• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Journeys were more like earlier series, what Pokemon would the characters have?

El Squibbonator

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this. It's obvious by now that the Journeys series isn't being treated the same way as the earlier series. There's lots of hopping around from region to region, Ash mostly catches Pokémon from older generations, there's no female companion for Ash (Chloe is the closest we get, and she's not in every episode), and, well, the less said about Goh the better. But what if that wasn't the case? What if the writers had decided to send Ash on a journey through Galar, just like they did with every previous region? It wouldn't make much sense, given that he's already Champion of Alola, but this is just for speculation. More to the point, which Galar Pokémon would the main characters have caught if Journeys were a more "traditional" series?

Here were a few ideas I had.

Ash:
Pikachu/Gigantamax Pikachu (Goes without saying)
Grookey->Thwackey->Rillaboom (Ash needs at least one starter, and the Grookey line seems to be the one that fits his personality most)
Farfetch'd-> Sirfetch'd (Regardless of what form the series took, Ash was bound to catch a Galarian form, and Farfetch'd seems as good a choice as any)
Dracovish (A cool fossil Pokémon. I'm keeping it)
Rolycoly->Carkoal (Since Goh would still have Scorbunny in this version, Ash would need a different Fire-type)
Dreepy->Drakloak->Dragapult (In a timeline where Ash didn't catch Dragonite, this would be his Pseudo-Legendary of the series. It would probably be a late-series capture that would reach its final form quickly, much like Goodra)
Snom->Frosmoth ( I sort of figured he'd need one "random" Pokémon)

Goh:
Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace (Again, goes without saying)
Arctozolt (He'd probably get it at the same time Ash got his Arctozolt)
2x Applin-> Flapple/ Appletun (The way I see it, a Sword/Shield anime wouldn't focus as much on Goh's constant capturing as Journeys does. But a good way to demonstrate that he loves catching many Pokémon at once could be to show catching two Applin, which would each go on to evolve into a different form)
Cramorant (I know a lot of people think of this as the sort of Pokémon Team Rocket should have, but I actually like the idea of Goh having it. It would give his team some much-needed personality)
Skwovet->Greedent (Same as canon)
Blipbug->Dottler->Orbeetle (Blipbug's whole "bookworm" motif fits well with Goh, as a person who wants to know everything about Pokémon)

Chloe (I imagine in a more "traditional" series, she'd be a full-on companion):
Yamper-> Boltund (Same as canon, only I picture it evolving)
Wooloo (Sort of fits Chloe's "cute and shy" demeanor)
Galarian Ponyta (She's probably going to catch one in canon, and to be honest I do think it suits her)
Eevee/Gigantamax Eevee (Obvious enough)
Sobble->Drizzile (Someone had to get the third starter, and it wasn't going to be Ash or Goh. I don't see Sobble evolving fully)

Jessie:
Silicobra->Sandaconda (It's been way too long since Jessie had a proper snake Pokémon. And it's a Ground-type, which could make battles with Pikachu interesting to say the least. )
Wobbuffet (Not going anywhere)

James:
Clobbopus->Grapploct (Sort of fits James's enclave of "goofy, weird, and strange-looking", i.e. Victreebel, Cacnea, Carnivine, Inkay, Mareanie)
Chewtle (The requisite "affectionate" Pokémon)

If Journeys were a more traditional series of the anime, like the regions before it, what Pokémon would you see the characters having?

Last edited:
Ash
  • Pikachu
  • Grookey-->Thwackey-->Rillaboom (designated regional starter. I decided to distribute the starters among the main cast like what Hoenn did and decided to give the Grookey line to Ash because I feel like that's the one that fits him the most based on personality. Ash also does have a bit of a history with simian Pokemon)
  • Rookidee-->Corvisquire-->Corviknight (designated regional bird)
  • Chewtle-->Drednaw (I know this might seem like an odd pick and more like something that would be given to Team Rocket instead, but I think this would be a cool Pokemon for Ash because Pokedex descriptions say that it's difficult for inexperienced trainers to raise due to its temperament, so Ash having one of these guys could be neatly symbolic of how far he's come as a trainer. Plus, Ash has caught a lot of turtle/tortoise Pokemon in the past, so... :wynaut: )
  • Kubfu--> Single Strike Urshifu (this guy would have the role that Riolu/Lucario currently has in Journeys, with the main difference being that it'd probably not evolve until the end or near-end of the series. I went for the Single Strike form because I felt that one fit Ash's general battle style more)
  • Farfetch'd-->Sirfetch'd (I really like this guy in Journeys, so he gets to stay, and his arc would likely be the same too. Also, would be a proper sparring rival/partner for Kubfu instead of a punching bag)
  • Dreepy-->Drakloak-->Dragapult (I'll readily admit to being heavily influenced by bias on this one, as it is my personal favorite pseudo-legendary, but since this is a hypothetical team that would have adhered to the older anime formula then Ash wouldn't have Gengar, and I still want him to have a Ghost-type, and of the ones introduced in this generation I find the Dreepy line to be the most fitting. Besides, Ash is more than skilled enough at this point to train a pseudo-legendary, so why not?)

Goh
  • Scorbunny-->Raboot-->Cinderace (would be the same as in Journeys except its evolutions would be more spaced out)
  • Skwovet-->Greedent (also the same, complete with evolution triggered by eating competition. Only difference is it would have much more appearances)
  • Blipbug-->Dottler-->Orbeetle (I think it makes sense for the early game bug to be on the main cast, and Goh was the best fit due to him being portrayed as the intellectual "brains" to Ash's battle-focused "brawn". It would also probably reach its final form extremely quickly as a callback to Ash's Butterfree in Kanto)
  • Galarian Meowth-->Perrserker (this one's just here because I really like the idea of Team Rocket Meowth frequently interacting with his Galar regional variant due to how the Pokedex describes these two Meowth variants as being hostile towards each other. I actually considered giving it to Ash instead, but I had already filled out his team and didn't want to get rid of anyone to make room, so to Goh it went XD)

Chloe
  • Yamper-->Boltund (same as the one in Journeys except it'd be her proper Pokemon rather than just a family pet. Would evolve shortly after Chloe obtains her Eevee since that would become her new de-facto "cute companion mon" while Yamper/Boltund would be promoted to battler)
  • Sobble-->Drizzile-->Inteleon (I decided to give the Sobble line to Chloe because I feel like its development from being extremely timid to a confident spy would be a neat parallel to Chloe's own development)
  • Eevee (stays the same)
  • Galarian Ponyta (it's already heavily implied that she'll catch this, so sure, let's give it to her here too. Keeping is as a Ponyta because I don't think Chloe would battle frequently enough to fully evolve her whole team. That and Galarian Ponyta is more stereotypically "cute" than Galarian Rapidash)

Jessie
  • Wobbuffet
  • Silicobra-->Sandaconda (throwback to her previous snake Pokemon Arbok and Seviper)

James
  • Cramorant (the species' habit of trying to swallow Pikachu feels like it would be an ideal Team Rocket mon. Giving it to James because I can also see it showing affection to him by trying to swallow his head like Victreebel)
  • Nickit-->Thievul (I'll admit that this one's mostly just here because I've never liked how James usually has less Pokemon than Jessie and that he's never actually evolved anything since the Original Series, so it's time to shake that up a bit. I was a bit tempted to give him a Galarian Weezing in honor of his original, but I thought it might have been a bit too boring to just give him a slightly different version of a Pokemon he's already owned instead of something completely new, so I just went with the most literal thief Pokemon in Galar. Could even make it something of a rival to Chloe's Boltund, since their species are said to be enemies)

Last edited:
I like most of those ideas, but I don't really see Thievul as the sort of Pokémon James would have. Ever since Hoenn, he's tended to go for Pokémon that are more "weird" and "goofy" than "evil-looking". You know, Cacnea, Chimecho, Mime Jr., Mareanie, Inkay, those sort of things. Cramorant definitely suits him, though. I remember when the trailer for Secrets of the Jungle dropped a lot of us thought they might actually catch one, but it turned out to just be a random wild Pokémon.

I'm going to disregard Gou and Koharu here since I doubt they'd be companions had we got PM Sword and Shield instead. People were theorizing Satoshi's friends would be Yuuri and Yarrow, so I'll go with them.

Satoshi

- Pikachu
- Messon -> Jimereon -> Inteleon
- Kokogara -> Aogarasu -> Armoga
- Tandon -> Toroggon (this one woudn't evolve all the way to Sekitanzan)
- Uonoragon (since he actually got one in the actual series)
- Dakuma -> Wulaosu

Yuuri

- Hibanny -> Rabifoot -> Aceburn
- Wanpachi (since Koharu has one)
- Sacchimushi -> Redomushi -> Eolb
- Sunnygo -> Sunnygon

Yarrow

- Himenka
- Watashigara
- Sarunori (the cute, marketable started of the series)
- Deathmas -> Deathban

Musashi

- Sonansu
- Morpeko

Kojirou

- Beroba

Ash
Pikachu (Pikachu)
Grookey>Thwackey>Rillaboom (My Favoruite Galar Starter, It also fits Ash PERFECTLY!)
Rookidee>Corvisquire>Corviknight (Birb)
Sizzlipede>Centiscorch (Fire Type)
Farfetch'd>Sirfetch'd (The Buizel/Hawlucha of the series. Ash also has one in the cannon and I also like it so :wynaut:?)
Dreepy>Drakloak>Dragapult (Psuedo Legend. I like the idea of Ash owning one.)
Goh
Scorbunny>Raboot>Cinderace (Same, but Scorbunny is less annoying)
G-Meowth (Rivalary with TR Meowth and the whole cast gets G-Forms.)
Applin>Flapple (Quilava)
Skwovet>Greedent (Same but does more stuff.)
Blipbug>Dottler>Orbeetle (The nerd Pokemon. Goh is a nerd. ENGENIUS!)
Chloe
Yamper (Same, I don't see it evolving even tho Boltund is the best Galar mon.)
Sobble>Drizzile>Inteleon (Each of them gets a starter. I'd like Chloe to take the challange of raising Sobble from a crybaby to a competent battler. Also all of the starters are fully evolved. EPIC MOMENT WITH SIGNATURE MOVES!!!!!!!!!!!)
G-Ponyta (She will catch it so :wynaut:? I dont like G-Rapidash as much so it can stay.)
Eevee (Eevee)
Jessie
Chewtle (Chewtle. It eats Jessie's hair and acts cute.)
James
Cramorant (Has an episode where it eats Pikachu.)

Last edited:
If we would have gotten a more traditional series. However, i will only let Ash and Team Rocket have a traditional gen 8 Pokemon only team, while his companions (And rivals) have more divers other generation teams (Combined with gen 8 Pokemon)

Main cast:

Ash (Not listing Pikachu for obvious reasons, since it stays regardless)
Ash is endorsed in the Pokemon Gym Challenge by Professor Magnolia herself after she saw the potential in him (Not knowing he won a regional league in Alola) after the Sobble situation.
Sobble > Drizzle > Inteleon (Designated starter) - Sobble has been brought back to Magnolias lab time and time again due to its unwillingness to battle and its cowardness. Ash, who is feeling sorry for the Water type and knows how to deal with project Pokemon, decides to take the Sobble with him after bonding with him. Under Ash, Sobble comes out of its shell and begins to enjoy fighting more and more. He becomes slighlty disobedient as a Drizzle due to the change in personality (Not unwilling to fight, but unwilling to listen to Ash in certain cases when he wants to withdraw it). When an Inteleon, it becomes Ash's strongest Galar Pokemon and cares a lot about the rest of the team, albeit being a little bit stoic at times.
Galarfetch'd > Sirfetch'd - Ash encounters a Galarian Farfetch'd that is challenging and winning against trainers that want to leave Motostoke. Galarfetch'd gets defeated by Pikachu and decides to join Ash now it finally has found a trainer worthy of his power. Galarfetch'd becomes a bully to Sobble at first, who he disrepects for its cowardness and unwilliness to battle. But after Galarfetch'd and Sobble got a bonding episode with eachother (Without Ash and Pikach), Galarfetch'd came to realize its not bad to turn away from a fight you can't win. Galarfetch'd evolves after a harsh training session between Ash and Bruno, who has come to Galar to find out if his Machamp can Gigantamax. Inteleon and Sirfetch'd become the best of buds.
Grookey - Thwackey - Rillaboom (Shiny) - When in the Wild Area, Ash and companions come accros a group of wild Grookey, Thwackey and Rillaboom. One newborn Grookey gets banished from the group because of its different colouring. Ash and Sobble bond with the Grookey (Sobble knows whats its like to not be liked by others because of flaws it can't do anything about). Grookey confronts its father, the Alpha male of the group (A Rillaboom) and with Ash's help, challenges it to a battle. Despite losing, Rillaboom is starting to respect Grookey and offers him back a place in the group. Grookey declines, rather going with Ash. Grookey evolves while protecting Sobble from Team Rocket (Later the reverse happens when Drizzle protects Thwackey from Team Rocket, which sparks its evolution into Inteleon). After Thwackey evolves into Rillaboom against Piers, Rillaboom develops a taste for music. After the league (Ash loses in the final against Hop), Rillaboom decides to take up Piers's offer to become the drummer of the Maximizers. Ash can still call upon Rillaboom (If feel like after Greninja and Charizard, a Grass starter leaves him, but not permanently).
Egg > Cufant > Copperajah (Gigantamax)- Ash receives a Pokemon Egg from Oleana after helping her against Team Rocket in Hammerlocke. It is however, unbeknowst to him who she is. Cufant is a young Pokemon. Sirfetch'd protects her. Cufant evolves in a battle against Gordie and as she is Ash's final Pokemon against him, he decides to Dynamax her. It surprises him when she changes form. Having learned Bulldoze and after a hard battle that pushed both her and Gordies Coalossal to the brink of defeat, Copperajah defeats her opponent, going down after the referee has declared her the winner.

Goh (In this series, Goh is the twin brother of Gloria). Goh sets out on his Pokemon Journey later than Ash and his sister Gloria (Who is a travel companion of Ash) with his trusty partner Yamper, to research Pokemon, since he wants to be a researcher one day. So i am giving him Pokemon that make sense of him to have (Aside from the starter and one other mon)
Yamper: Yamper is helping Goh in numerous situations.
Blipbug - Dottler
Arctozolt: I mean, he is aspiring researcher, so he needs to have a fossil imo.
(Galarian) Yamask
Pelipper
Eevee (Gigantamax): Also makes sense as an aspiring researcher
(Alolan) Sandshrew - Isle of Armor

Gloria (Twin sister to Goh). Gloria sets out on her journey because she wants to become the best curry chef in the whole region (At first, then the world). Her first trusty partner is a Skwovet. She meets Ash and Magnolia's and receives her starter Pokemon (Scorbunny)
Skwovet - Greedent
Scorbunny - Raboot
Munchlax
Milcery - Alcremie
Polteageist

Team Rocket (They gain another Pokemon travel companion)
Jessie (not listing Wobbuffet, same reasoning as Pikachu)
Silicobra
(Galarian) Zigzagoon - Linoone

James
Cramorant
(Galarian) Weezing
Toxel - Toxtricity (Low Key)

Perserkker becomes a travel companion

Rivals

Hop (Always loses to Ash before the league, i thought why not turn it around as it makes sense, with Ash being the experienced trainer and Hop the rookie). This also slightly changes Hops storyline. Endorsed by his brother Leon.
Wooloo - Dubwool (Starter Pokemon)
Scorbunny - Raboot - Cinderace (Ace and main rival to Inteleon)
Rookidee - Corvisquire - Corviknight
Shiftry (Won't see its pre-evo's, since already fully evolved when seen by Ash)
Clobbopus - Grapploct (Secondary ace and main rival to Sirfetch'd)
Squirtle - Wartortle - Blastoise (Gigantamax): Received from Honey after training with Mustard.

Victor (Hops best friend and main rival, endorsed by Leon).
Grookey - Thwackey - Rillaboom (ace and starter, main rival to Ash's Rillaboom and gets defeated by him)
Rolycoly - Carkol - Coalossal
Toxel - Toxtricity (Amped)
Eiscue
Dracovish
Sandaconda (Gigantamax)
(Galarian) Slowking)

Bede (Keeps using Pokemon, despite becoming gym leader - endorsed by Rose)
Solosis - Duosion - Reunicleus (Main Pokemon)
(Galarian) Ponyta - Rapidash
Gothorita
Clefairy
Hattena - Hattrem - Hatterene (Gigantamax)
Ribombee

Marnie (Endorsed by Piers)
Morpeko (Starter)
Impidimp - Morgrem - Grimmsnarl (Main Pokemon and Gigantamax)
Umbreon
Crawdaunt
Pangoro
Thievul

Last edited:
I like most of those ideas, but I don't really see Thievul as the sort of Pokémon James would have. Ever since Hoenn, he's tended to go for Pokémon that are more "weird" and "goofy" than "evil-looking". You know, Cacnea, Chimecho, Mime Jr., Mareanie, Inkay, those sort of things. Cramorant definitely suits him, though. I remember when the trailer for Secrets of the Jungle dropped a lot of us thought they might actually catch one, but it turned out to just be a random wild Pokémon.
I suppose you have a point, but what exactly about Thievul is so evil-looking? If anything the weird humanlike mustache makes it come off more like a classy gentleman, or at least something trying to pass off as such, which in of itself is pretty goofy if you really think about it. Maybe I could have given him a Morpeko instead, but in my mind Marnie (along with Bede) would have been one of Ash's major rivals, and Morpeko would have been her "Pikachu" so to speak. I already don't like that Morpeko is a TR Pokemon because I feel like that reduces Marnie's chances of appearing in Journeys, and I'd want her to be prominent in an alternate version of the anime that was truer to the older formula.

Speaking of which, here are the teams that the rivals would use:

Hop
  • Wooloo-->Dubwool (because all the main characters would be getting starters and fully evolving them, Hop's Wooloo would serve as his starter all by itself)
  • Riolu-->Lucario (okay, I just KNOW someone's probably gonna demand for my head on a plate for suggesting this, but I actually do like Ash's Riolu/Lucario quite a bit despite his spotlight-hogging tendencies and wanted to preserve him in some way so I thought, hey, why not give it to Hop and have it play rival to Ash's Kubfu/Urshifu in a mirror of their respective trainers' rivalry?)
  • Munchlax-->Snorlax (I wanted Hop to have at least one Pokemon that was capable of Gigantamaxing and because the starters and Corviknight have already been handed over to other people this was the only remaining option I felt was fitting, since he already uses a Snorlax in the games)
  • Pincurchin (this along with the following Pokemon are handpicked from the various teams Hop uses against you in various battles)
  • Heatmor
  • Trevenant

Bede
  • Hatenna-->Hattrem-->Hattarenne (no change, this is his signature mon)
  • Solosis-->Duosion-->Reinuclus (unlike in the games, Bede would keep his Psychic-types with him even after he switches specialties through a combination of being attached to them and as a reference to how some type specialists frequently use Pokemon not of their specialty type. Plus, I just think they fit him)
  • Gothita-->Gothorita-->Gothitelle (see Reuniclus)
  • Mawile (no change, I really like that the games gave him this. It feels like a very fitting Pokemon for Bede)
  • Clefable (I honestly don't know why, but I think this fits Bede a lot better than Sylveon and Gardevoir do, so he'd get it in my version instead of those)
  • Shiinotic (it's one of the more sinister Fairy-types, which I think fits Bede's personality)

Marnie
  • Morpeko (already explained this)
  • Impidimp-->Morgrem-->Grimmsnarl (her main powerhouse just like in the games)
  • Scraggy-->Scrafty (another Pokemon that Marnie uses in the games... actually, I wouldn't change Marine's team that much; the Pokemon they gave her are pretty much perfect)
  • Sableye (adding this because it's Mawile's counterpart, so if Bede gets that as one of his Pokemon, I think it makes sense that Marine gets Sableye as a foil)
  • Liepard
  • Toxicroak

Last edited:
I've actually been coming up with various what-ifs for a proper SWSH version of Journeys. No, it's in no way fueled by disappointed over the direction of the actual Journeys. Why do you ask?

I shouldn't be allowed to have so much free time on my hands. Also, I'm being lazy, so I'm not actually changing the characters or their motivations (much), just the series premise..

Ash - Everyone's favorite immortal 10 year old. Basically the same as usual, but he'll be doing the Gym Challenge instead of the PWC.

Rookidee/Corvisquire/Corviknight - Hurricane/Steel Wing/Iron Defense/Body Press

Ash met Rookidee in the Wild Area (replacing the Snorlax from ep 5), where it stole his train pass as a prank. Pikachu takes it out with Thunderbolt, but it falls into a nearby Pokemon Den, causing it to Dynamax. Ash and Goh are forced to team up and defeat it, after which it's caught by Ash.

Grookey/Thwackey - Double Hit/Branch Poke/Acrobatics/Hammer Arm

Ash met Grookey in the Slumbering Weald, where it found a lost Scorbunny (still wild at this point) and tries to steal its bag of Berries. After Pikachu drives it off, Grookey takes an interest in Ash and begins following him. Gets caught in a later ep.

Rillaboom - Drum Beating/Wood Hammer/Acrobatics/Uproar

I want Grookey to evolve, but I'm not sure about it happening twice, so I'm doing two movesets for Thwackey and Rillaboom.

G. Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd - Same moveset as Journeys.

Debuts the same as Journeys, only in its own focus ep. Also, the show actually uses it more.

Dracovish - Same moveset as Journeys. ...whatever it is.

Debuts the same as Journeys.

Not sure about his final 'mon.

Goh - Everyone's favorite controversy magnet. Goal is the same (catch all Pokemon and work up to Mew), but his captures are now limited to what's available in the Galar Dex. Also, he is now from Motostoke instead of Vermilion.

Instead of Professor Cerise and Cerise Park, Goh keeps his Pokemon at Professor Magnolia's. His backpack contains a portable PC that allows him to access his spare 'mons at any time (so long as Magnolia is available to give them.

Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace - Same moveset as Journeys.

Debuts the same, only in Motostoke. Goh rejects it in the Wild Area, but later changes his mind at Magnolia's house.

Sobble - Same moveset in Journeys.

Debuts the same, only not in Wyndon. Whether it evolves or not depends on if it evolves in Journeys.

Other Pokemon include:

Blipbug/Dottler/Orbeetle - Goh's first capture. It's very smart, so it thinks very highly of itself (even though it's weak), even more so after it evolved and gains the Psychic type. Takes Darmanitan's role as the "bully" character.

Skwovet/Greedent - Same as the usual. Evolves the same way.

etc.

Team Rocket - Same trio of lovable losers, only sans Gatchat.

Cramorant - Water Gun/Surf/Pluck/Ice Beam

Jessie caught Cramorant in the Wild Area after it tried to eat her hair. It's fairly dimwitted, but surprisingly sturdy. It has a habit of trying to eat lots of things, even if they're not edible.

Morpeko - Aura Wheel/Bite/Bullet Seed/Thrash

James befriended Morpeko after giving it some food as an apology for getting it caught in a trap meant for Pikachu. Morpeko took a liking to James' food and began following him. After a battle with the twerps, it happily joined James.

G. Meowth/Perrserker - Fury Swipes/Iron Head/Shadow Claw/Hone Claws

Basically Snubbull 2.0 (only that it's wild), except that it hates Meowth and follows TR because it wants to beat him up. It and Meowth later form a bond based on their mutual hatred of Persian. Later evolves and leaves, for insert reason here.

So I've been thinking about this. It's obvious by now that the Journeys series isn't being treated the same way as the earlier series. There's lots of hopping around from region to region, Ash mostly catches Pokémon from older generations, there's no female companion for Ash (Chloe is the closest we get, and she's not in every episode), and, well, the less said about Goh the better. But what if that wasn't the case? What if the writers had decided to send Ash on a journey through Galar, just like they did with every previous region? It wouldn't make much sense, given that he's already Champion of Alola, but this is just for speculation. More to the point, which Galar Pokémon would the main characters have caught if Journeys were a more "traditional" series?

Here were a few ideas I had.

Ash:
Pikachu/Gigantamax Pikachu (Goes without saying)
Grookey->Thwackey->Rillaboom (Ash needs at least one starter, and the Grookey line seems to be the one that fits his personality most)
Farfetch'd-> Sirfetch'd (Regardless of what form the series took, Ash was bound to catch a Galarian form, and Farfetch'd seems as good a choice as any)
Dracovish (A cool fossil Pokémon. I'm keeping it)
Rolycoly->Carkoal (Since Goh would still have Scorbunny in this version, Ash would need a different Fire-type)
Dreepy->Drakloak->Dragapult (In a timeline where Ash didn't catch Dragonite, this would be his Pseudo-Legendary of the series. It would probably be a late-series capture that would reach its final form quickly, much like Goodra)
Snom->Frosmoth ( I sort of figured he'd need one "random" Pokémon)

Goh:
Scorbunny->Raboot->Cinderace (Again, goes without saying)
Arctozolt (He'd probably get it at the same time Ash got his Arctozolt)
2x Applin-> Flapple/ Appletun (The way I see it, a Sword/Shield anime wouldn't focus as much on Goh's constant capturing as Journeys does. But a good way to demonstrate that he loves catching many Pokémon at once could be to show catching two Applin, which would each go on to evolve into a different form)
Cramorant (I know a lot of people think of this as the sort of Pokémon Team Rocket should have, but I actually like the idea of Goh having it. It would give his team some much-needed personality)
Skwovet->Greedent (Same as canon)
Blipbug->Dottler->Orbeetle (Blipbug's whole "bookworm" motif fits well with Goh, as a person who wants to know everything about Pokémon)

Chloe (I imagine in a more "traditional" series, she'd be a full-on companion):
Yamper-> Boltund (Same as canon, only I picture it evolving)
Wooloo (Sort of fits Chloe's "cute and shy" demeanor)
Galarian Ponyta (She's probably going to catch one in canon, and to be honest I do think it suits her)
Eevee/Gigantamax Eevee (Obvious enough)

Jessie:
Silicobra->Sandaconda (It's been way too long since Jessie had a proper snake Pokémon. And it's a Ground-type, which could make battles with Pikachu interesting to say the least. )
Wobbuffet (Not going anywhere)

James:
Clobbopus->Grapploct (Sort of fits James's enclave of "goofy, weird, and strange-looking", i.e. Victreebel, Cacnea, Carnivine, Inkay, Mareanie)
Chewtle (The requisite "affectionate" Pokémon)

If Journeys were a more traditional series of the anime, like the regions before it, what Pokémon would you see the characters having?
So who gets Sobble in this AU?

Ooh yay, I’m glad to see a thread about this! I’ve been getting really invested in my own ideas for a more traditional, Galar-centric AU and this is a great way to see what people want for various characters

Here’s mine;
Ash:

- Pikachu (obvs)

- Sobble-Drizzile-Intelleon (I actually like how Gou’s capture and recent training of Sobble was handled and its dynamic with Raboot/Cinderace but, come on, this entire line screams Ash mon to me. A timid Pokémon that with time, training, and care is able to reach its full potential and becomes a cool confident battler? I also feel like Sobble and Intelleon offer a lot of creative battle strategies between cloaking, invisibility, Sobble’s tears affecting an opponent’s vision, Intelleon’s gliding membrane, I like to think Drizzile and Intelleon can run on water like basilisk lizards, the sharp weapon hidden in Intelleon’s tail, etc. It’s a Swiss Army Knife of strategies)

- ???

- Kubfu (Ash meets it at the Nuikoguma Nursery on the way to Hulbery where a strange man is looking for someone to raise Kubfu to their full potential. After Satoshi proves himself in battle, he is given Kubfu. Don’t know which form it would evolve into)

Riolu-Lucario would be around (with a similar debut to Journeys) but it would be more of an arc. Clashes with Kubfu a lot

- Carkoal-Coalassal (This was originally a possibility after seeing the Darkest Day arc but after seeing the amount of support it has in this thread, I’m fully onboard. Ash, Gou, and Koharu meet it in a Galar mine where he attacks them, wanting to battle. Ash defeats it. They meet the Carkoal again at another mine where he wants a rematch. However during the rematch, there’s an outburst of Dynamax energy which affects Carkoal and sends him on an out of control rampage. Ash and Pikachu are able to help it, after which, Carkoal decides he wants to go with Ash. He is also the catalyst for the Scorbunny conflict with Scorbunny wanting to learn the move Incinerate after witnessing Carkoal swallow a rock and shoot the flaming object at the opponent during a training session)

- Dracovish (Bringing over from Journeys. The late series capture. I was iffy when the idea of Ash catching it was first brought up but seeing the similarities between the Fossil mons and the Frankenstein story, it makes sense for Ash to have it so he can be it’s friend and give it the best life possible)

Possibilities;
- Galar fetch’d-Sirfetch’d (Bringing over from Journeys)
- Rookidee-Corvisquire-Corviknight (Honestly I’m torn on if this line should go to Hop or go to Ash, otherwise it would be on Ash’s team no question. I imagine it would have a very similar personality to Buizel and Hawlucha and be a very innovative battler, especially in its Corvisquire stage)
Cufant (I just think it’s cute and it could have a nice dynamic with everyone and Ash’s Donphan)

Gou:

- Scorbunny-Raboot-Cinderace (although will evolve at a far better pace)

From here, it was hard to figure out what to do with Gou’s team with the whole catching Pokémon goal and trying to give them all screen time with this being a travel heavy saga. I think I decided to have what Pokémon he has on him rotate episode to episode but as the series goes on, he’d end up having a few mainstays.

- Zorua (Makes sense to give the guy who wants to catch Mew more than anything a Pokémon infamous for trickery and abilities to transform. Presents a major challenge for Gou to catch (think Snivy or Fletchling level challenge). Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace adores it)

- Toxel-Toxtricity (Is given to him as an egg by the Nuikoguma Nursery after Scorbunny grows attached to the egg and ends up in a role where he has to be a nurturing parent. Not sure what form he would evolve into; I like the Amped form more and I think it’s the more popular of the two but the Low-key goes really well with Gou’s design and personality. Whichever form Toxel doesn’t evolve into will go to Piers)

- Cubone (Brought over from Journeys but a different story. Was betrayed and abandoned by someones Cubone thought it could trust. It joins up with Gou after he risks his life to save it and many other Pokémon from a hunter)

There’d also be some regularly reoccurring faces such as Raichu and Scyther.

Koharu:
- Yamper (Still the Sakuragi family pet but when Koharu agrees to travel with Gou and Satoshi, he runs away to join up with her. Adores Koharu and Pikachu, likes Gou (mostly because he enjoys fetching the PokéBalls Gou throws), tolerates Grookey, dislikes Satoshi and Scorbunny)

- Grookey (Mischievous and playful, Grookey takes a liking to Koharu. Although she is often annoyed by it, she does care about it even if she doesn’t often show it. Like Yamper, it’s Koharu’s by proxy of always being around her. Have no plans for it to evolve, maybe to Thwackey at most)

- Milcery-Alcremie (Cute, sassy, and intuitive. When Koharu rescues Milcery from Yamper, the two form a strong bond especially when Koharu discovers that Milcery yearns to evolve but doesn’t know what Alcremie she wants to be. Koharu emphasizes and helps her through the process)

Possibilities:
Bring Eevee over from Journeys
I also thought of an idea that, since Koharu has Yamper, Sonia’s signature Pokémon, maybe she could have the rest of the signature Pokémon (Wooloo, Morpeko, and Hattena-Hattrem with some sort of distinguishing feature to set them apart from Hop’s, Marnie’s, and Bede’s respectively (ie Koharu’s Wooloo being young and small, Sonia’s Yamper being noticeably bigger and having a collar, etc).

Now for the most important; the TRio!
Musashi:

- Wobbuffet

- Sizzlipede-Centiskorch (If you know anything about me, you probably know that I’ve been screaming my head off for Musashi to get a Centiskorch ever since it was revealed. It just screams Musashi to me, not to mention it fulfills that sinister, serpentine, menacing bug niche that a lot of Musashi’s Pokémon fall into. Musashi would catch it shortly after the TRio find out about the Dynamax and Gigantamax phenomen. It would evolve sometime around Ash’s third gym badge during which it’s revealed that this one can’t Gigantamax but the two are able to reconcile)

- Nickit (At first this was a back up in case Centiskorch was too OP for the TRio to have but I’ve honestly been able to come up with all sorts of ideas regarding Musashi having a Nickit between its thieving antics (especially with Musashi’s earrings), potential capture scenarios, it’s rivalry with another line infamous for stealing things, and the whole fox hunt thing put into the Boltund-Thievul relationship that it’s too good for them not to be paired together)

Kojiro:

- Cramorant (As soon as TRio arrive in Galar, they meet Cramorant who mistakes their sub for an actual giant Magikarp. After Nyasu fails at trying to scare it off, Kojiro brings it onto their team with a bag of chips. Dumb but affectionate, lots of personality. It’s Water Gun is the screaming seagull meme, it’s Aerial Ace (the move famous for always hitting) mostly misses, and between being released from its PokéBall and Gulp Missile, anything could end up being its mouth (Nyasu, Kojiro’s head, it’s other teammates, rocks, trash, Pikachu, random Pokémon (usually fish Pokémon but sometimes a Chewtle or a Corphish), etc))

- Sinistea-Polteageist (While in Stow-n-Stow, Kojiro buys an “antique” tea set from a strangely familiar individual. A few episodes later, when in a haunted location, a Sinistea plays pranks on the group using Poltergeist. The hijinks end when it makes the mistake of trying to take food from Nickit and Cramorant who accidentally break it’s teacup. Kojiro, feeling bad, offers it his teacup which the Sinistea happily accepts. The next time TRio have a tea break, it takes over the teapot, much to Musashi and Nyasu’s dismay, and evolves into Polteageist)

And I have someone in mind to receive the Galarian Meowth that falls in love with our Nyasu

Now for the rivals

Hop:

- Wooloo-Dubwool

- Grookey-Thwackey-Rillaboom (Since I don’t plan on the Grookey with Koharu evolving, I figured I should have its evolutions be represented by the starter Hop chooses when Satoshi first meets him)

- Gigantamax Snorlax (since Snorlax is a pretty consistent part of his team in the games)

- Pinchurin (again, very consistent part of his team)

- Boltund (really because I don’t expect Koharu or Sonia’s Yamper to evolve)

- ???

And then Silicobra and Trevenant for the Wooloo-not-on-Hop’s-team arc

Possibilities:
- Corvisquire-Corviknight (as mentioned previously, it’s very heavily put on Hop’s team between Gigantamaxing in the games, Corvisquire being his Pokémon in the manga along with Snorlax, Pinchurin, and Wooloo, and it’s presence in the music video)
I also really want to give him a Fire type to match his older brother and his signature Pokémon. I know he has a Heatmor in the games but I find that I’m leaning more towards Rapidash or Fletchinder-Talonflame

Marnie:

- Morpeko

- Impidimp-Morgrem-Grimmsnarl (Gigantamaxes in Championships)

- Purrloin-Liepard (And yes, Meowth does have a crush on her although it passes by pretty uneventfully with Purrloin evolving offscreen)

- Sableye (Whoever brought that idea up in this thread, amazing! I really can’t believe she doesn’t have it in canon)

- Toxicroak (for once not the Shiny coloration!)

- Galarian Zigzagoon (Due to Piers having Obstagoon. This is more of a companion to her though, during actual Gym Challenges and tournament battles, she uses a Scraggy)

Bede:

- Solosis-Duosion-Reneiculus

- Hattena-Hattrem-Hatterene (Gigantamax)

- Gothorita-Gothitelle (His first Pokémon. Chairman Rose gave him Gothita as a gift)

- Dottler-Orbeetle (I’m really surprised I haven’t seen this pairing yet)

- Ralts-Kirlia-Gardevoir (Takes in when the Ralts takes a liking to Bede after he rescues it from Team Rocket)

- Galarian Ponyta-Rapidash (Appears on his team after Opal takes him in)

(Really like the idea someone had of giving him Shiinotic, I think that would be on his team in the Championships)

Sonia (I know she’s not a rival but I feel she’s too significant to leave out. In this, she’d frequently be like a fourth member of the group and like a big sister to Koharu)

- Yamper (The distant brother of Koharu’s Yamper. Wears a pink rhinestone collar)

- Snom/Frosmoth

- Butterfree (Plot twist; it can Gigantamax)

- Runerigus (When it and a bunch of Galarian Yamask go on a rampage after Bede destroys the mural, it’s Sonia who calms it down with help from Frosmoth and Yamper)

- Galarian Ponyta (It is said that once Sonia was a trainer equal to Leon but something changed after an incident in the Slumbering Weald. Ponyta hasn’t been seen since)

Also I don’t care if they’re not in the Galar Dex, I’m giving Leon a Pyroar (male) and a Luxray

Last edited:
First, my version of Journeys would be called Sword & Shield.

This would be my line-up:

Ash:

* Pikachu
* Sobble -> Drizzile -> Intelleon
* Rookidee -> Corvisquire -> Corviknight
* Impidimp -> Morgrem -> Grimmsnarl
* Cufant -> Copperajah
* Gossifleur -> Eldegoss
This team would give Ash a lot of flexibility in type matchups. For my vision of a Sword & Shield anime, either Sarah would stay on, or Veronica would make her big return to the franchise.

Hop:

* Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace
* Skwovet -> Greedent
* Silicobra -> Sandacobra
* Galarian Linoone -> Obstagoon
* Mime Jr. -> Galarian Mr. Mime -> Mr. Rime
* Chewtle -> Drednaw
Hop's team would showcase some of the Galarian forms and their unique evolutions. I envision his voice sounding like a rambling Liverpudlian.

Now, for the female companion, we could go one of two ways. Here's the first way:

Gloria:

* Grookey ->Thwackey -> Rillaboom
* Nickit -> Thievul
* Carkol - Coalossal
* Clobbopus -> Grapploct
* Galarian Yamask -> Runerigus
* Morpeko
This vision for Gloria is based on the Scottish Pokemon Trainer meme, with Gloria being very loud, brash, and standoffish. To that end, she fills her party with big, tough Pokemon in order to appear tough so nobody will mistake her for a girly-girl, but the cracks in this facade form when she catches a Morpeko and squees over it, to which she tells Ash and Hop "Ya saw noothin'!" This version for Gloria would ideally be voiced by Elsie Lovelock.

Now, here's the second way:

Serena

* Delphox
* Sylveon
* Pancham
* Galarian Farfetch'd -> Sirfetch'd
* Applin -> Flapple -> Appletun
* Hatenna -> Hattrem -> Hatterene
For her return, Serena would don Gloria's default outfit. Her party would be half-and-half; Delphox, Sylveon, and Pancham would be carried over from XY, while the rest of the party fits her need for Contest Pokemon. I envision Haven Paschall staying in the role.

As for TR and the rivals, I can't think of anything. The only Pokemon I see for Jessie is her keeping Wobuffet around.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this as well, and we’ll, I’m not sure I’d change Ash's current team: sure, mos to fit isn’t Galar Pokémon, but it’s better than the traditional team. Probably the only change I’d make is giving him Sobble.

as for Chloe, maybe she could get Grookey along with Yamper and Eevee

Humm. I think this one will be more of a brainstorm cuz I'm thinking about it as I type.

For this series, we would Follow Ash, Marnie and Hop:

- I don't really agree with him having either Gloria or Victor as a companion. not that I dislike them, but it's mostly cuz they don't really have an role in the games if you don't pick them. You can see it in the anime as well: May, Dawn and Serena appeared cuz they do have a role to play in the story. We could ofc just slap something for them to do, but I do think adapting a game character is always more interesting and slightly easier for the writers, since you already have a ''base'' to work with imo.

- I'm taking both Goh and Chloe out. Mainly cuz I don't really think they would work in a more ''traditional'' series. Goh especially, since his goal is to catch every mon, and I do think you would have to travel pretty heavily to accomplish that. And while Chloe could work, I don't think she really has enough on her to be a constant companion like the other Pokégirls did in their series. I don't think her story/arc is enough to last lots of episodes (and this is something that I wonder to be a reason for her not appearing as much in Journeys too)

Ash: would go to Galar after leaning the League there is harder and after seeing a battle against Leon in the TV. Then he would get a sponsorship by Leon, alongside his companions.

His team would be:

-Pikachu (ofc ofc)
-Sobble -> Drizzle -> Inteleon (Male - Gigantamax) (Others have explanied why they wanted him to get it and I do agree it with being his ace. But I would make sure to while keeping him stoic, I would also make sure to also make him pretty sly and suave, and sorta of goofy sometimes, to not be too much like Greninja's seriousness.)
-Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace (Female - Gigantamax) (He would have two starters, and while Inteleon is the Suave Stoic one, Cinderace is the ball of energy and goofiness, being a mix of powerhouse and comic relief. Even their fighting styles would be different: Inteleon is more precise and gracious, wainting for the right moment to strike, while Cinderace is more direct and up close)
-Blipbug -> Dottler -> Orbeetle (Female - Gigantamax) (It's one of those odd mons you don't think Ash would have, but not only does he never uses Bugs, but it's also a Psychic type, something he didn't had before, so it would be interesting to see him using one of those)
-Egg -> Cuffant -> Copperajah (Female - Gigantamax) (He will be gifted a egg by Rose, after he sees him battling Nessa. Btw, Rose's Copperajah is the mother. I do think it would be an very affectionated Pokemon, that is not aware of it's own strenght and weight.)
-Impidimp -> Morgrem -> Grimmsnarl (Male - Gigantamax) (I would love for thim to get one after it following him for a while, and continuing to be a little shit to him, like, Pikachu in Kanto, I will expand why a bit more of why I'm not giving it to Marnie when I get to her, Also, first Fairy!)
-G. Farftech'd -> Sirfetch'd (Male) -> Yes, he will have more than six here. (Not only do I like it as a regional form for him, but I do like the arc it's getting in Journeys, so I will keep it.)
-Kubfu -> Urshifu (Male - Rapid Strike - Gigantamax): He will get it in the Isle of Armor. Might be pretty reduntant, but oh well.

The reason why I gave Ash a Grimnsnarl instead of Marnie, is that not only did I wanted to give him his first Fairy, but it's also cuz, unlike Bede, who has his Hatterene with him for the entire game as his ace and first Pokemon, Marnie only gets her Grimnsnarl at the very end of the main game, mainly cuz she didn't had a Gigantamax capable Pokemon up until that point. So for these reasons, I think that it's fine for her to not have it, since it never really was her ace, unlike Bede's Hatterene.

Hop:
The booksmart guy of the series. They never really touched on this in the games, even though he becomes a assistant to the professor later on, but I do like to imagine him being so interested in battle led to him reading a lot of it and knowing a lot in theory, while Ash is more of a pratical guy. His arc would be like the one in the games. He would learn that he doesn't have to follow in his brother's footsteps and be the new Champion, and he would decide to become a professor, like in the games, being tutored under Sonia and Magnolia.

His team would be similar to the one he has in the games, but I will keep Wooloo and Grookey unevolved mainly cuz not only will he not battle as much, but also cuz it's simply more marketable. But don't worry Rillaboom fans, I gotcha!

Marnie:
She would be pretty much the ''OC'' of the series, besides being a second protagonist like Dawn and May were. She would be what Gloria would be if she was a character in the games. She will be more of a ''rival'' for Ash, them constantly teasing and taunting each other would be pretty fun to watch. But the thing about her, is that instead of just shoving her into Contests or Showcases of whatever the variation of it would be in Galar, NAH, she will battle too. I do want her to take on the opposing version Gym Leaders, since I do think Ash would take on the Sword Version (Bea and Gordie), while she will take the Shield Version (Allister and Melony), besides taking the minor league on against Avery and Peony, with a format similar to those competitons in Unova. And she will be the ''protagonist'' of the DLC content. Ash and Hop will go with her to the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra too, but she will be the focus of those stories. Her arc would remain mainly the same, but she only becomes the Gym Leader of Spikemuth after travelling with Ash and Hop and training under Mustard.

For her team I would swap Grimmsnarl (for the reason I explained before), and her Toxicroak and Scrafty, since Ash and Brock have used their unevolved versions before. I get it that it might not be that big of a deal, but I don't think they would operate that differently then theirs. In their places, I will give her a Sableye, Thievul, and a Single Strike Urshifu, that she will get in the Isle of Armor, as Ash will get the the other.

For rivals, I do want to have Bede as a rival for Ash, but his main one should be a new character who has also won a regional league before, to make the competition more fair and add more tension. And Marnie's rival would probably be Klara in the Isle.

In addition to the snake and that Pikachu/Kojiro’s head eating bird I think Kojiro should have got the teapot and Musashi should get Snom a la Dokucale...

I can't really see Team Rocket having a Frosmoth. It's more like a Pokémon Ash would catch. Also, on second thought, I'll probably let Chloe have Sobble.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom