• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If Mega Evolution was used more liberally in XY?

Reaction score
As the progenitors of Mega Evolution, I felt that XY didn't really utilize the phenomenon as much as they could have. Barring yourself, about four other Trainers actually use (3 if you don't count Korrina utilizing it for tutorial purposes). I get that it's a rare possession of ability to have, but the blatant lack of usage really undermined the novelty in my opinion.

I'm in the process of doing an X Nuzlocke and I started thinking about how the latter half of the Gym Leaders could have used Mega Evolution. For example:

• Clemont would have a Mega Ampharos. Thematically, it would also make sense since his whole sub-plot is about restoring both light and electricty to Lumiose City. Ampharos is both of those elements in a convient package.
  • Valerie would have a Mega Mawile, making her Gym Battle actually challenging and serving as a wonderful example of her quote of Fairy types being strong, yet delicate as a blooms.
  • Olympia could have a Mega Medicham. Medicham's sixth sense and ability to read its foes movements parallel Olympia's own ability to read the stars & future.
  • Lastly, as so brilliantly shown in the anime, Wulfric would have a Mega Abomasnow. Enough said.
I feel like the remaining four should be the ones to utilize ME as a representation of how the remaining 4 Gym Leaders are no joke and players need to step up their games. Also, Gym Leaders just make good candidates for such power and responsibility (as well as the Elite Four by that extension).

Thoughts? Or did you all have your own thoughts about how Mega Evolution could have been better represented in XY? Or maybe you thought it was represented well already?

There was a lot that X and Y should have done to up the challenge. My initial idea is to give the later gym leaders more than 3 Pokemon. O dontdon't know about giving all 4 of the latter leaders megas, though. Cuz then you basically also have to give one to all the elite four, since going back after that wouldn't be much of a step up. I think if maybe 2 of the gym leaders (heck, it doesn't even have to be the last 2) had megas, that'd be nice. I do agree though, for how talked about mega evolution was and hyped beforehand, not many trainers used it, which seemed counterintuitive.

While the difficulty level in XY left something to be desired, I don't think the remaining four Gym Leaders should have had Megas. Not the first time around at least. First, their teams and their team's movesets should be fixed, as that already would have improved difficulty. That said, Mega Evolution was certainly underutilised, but I think it would have been better if it was saved for the post-game. Because that's when more Mega Stones become available as well, so I think it would make sense from a plot perspective at least?

The E4 could have had Mega Evos in the first round though (and I'm glad that ORAS did do this in the rematches). Though again, I think fixing their teams would have priority...

And why isn't Diancie involved more with the Mega Evo plot? Ok, sure it's an event Pokemon, but maybe a bonus story could have been added? Like, there's the sun dial in Anistar that helps you find more Mega Stones, a sun dial that is implied to have something to do with Diancie. Even its dex entry could have been related to the main plot: "A sudden transformation of Carbink, its pink, glimmering body is said to be the loveliest sight in the whole world". They could have said Diancie's transformation was a direct result of the firing of the Ultimate Weapon, said the sun dial was created with Diancie's help, and that in turn would explain why it does what it does. Plus, it would give more precedent for Diancie having a Mega Evo.

I dunno XD In general I just think XY and Kalos are great on paper, but in reality their lacking...

I think it was fine not having it too much in the main game. Overusing a feature that powers up something just tends to make the game annoying, and it can be counterproductive towards those that play for story and adventure over battling. They could have added it in post game like others said. Make it a choice to face more of it rather than force it.

In terms of people that should use Megas in X and Y:

- You
- Your rival
- Lysandre
- Diantha
- Elite Four

Also, Gurkinn should have battled you instead of Korrina and given you the Lucario and perhaps they could've made Sina and Dexio battle-able post-game with a Mega Alakazam and Mega Abomasnow respectively, while foreshadowing Alola.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Cuz then you basically also have to give one to all the elite four, since going back after that wouldn't be much of a step up.

The E4 could have had Mega Evos in the first round though (and I'm glad that ORAS did do this in the rematches). Though again, I think fixing their teams would have priority...

I was thinking Wikstrom would get a Mega Scizor, Siebold would have a Mega Blastoise, Drasnia would have to settle for a Mega Garchomp, and Malva would utilize a Mega Houndoom. It'd all work out nicely~

As the progenitors of Mega Evolution, I felt that XY didn't really utilize the phenomenon as much as they could have. Barring yourself, about four other Trainers actually use (3 if you don't count Korrina utilizing it for tutorial purposes). I get that it's a rare possession of ability to have, but the blatant lack of usage really undermined the novelty in my opinion.

I'm in the process of doing an X Nuzlocke and I started thinking about how the latter half of the Gym Leaders could have used Mega Evolution. For example:

• Clemont would have a Mega Ampharos. Thematically, it would also make sense since his whole sub-plot is about restoring both light and electricty to Lumiose City. Ampharos is both of those elements in a convient package.
  • Valerie would have a Mega Mawile, making her Gym Battle actually challenging and serving as a wonderful example of her quote of Fairy types being strong, yet delicate as a blooms.
  • Olympia could have a Mega Medicham. Medicham's sixth sense and ability to read its foes movements parallel Olympia's own ability to read the stars & future.
  • Lastly, as so brilliantly shown in the anime, Wulfric would have a Mega Abomasnow. Enough said.
I feel like the remaining four should be the ones to utilize ME as a representation of how the remaining 4 Gym Leaders are no joke and players need to step up their games. Also, Gym Leaders just make good candidates for such power and responsibility (as well as the Elite Four by that extension).

Thoughts? Or did you all have your own thoughts about how Mega Evolution could have been better represented in XY? Or maybe you thought it was represented well already?

Mega Evolution in X and Y was a mess canonically. From the "Please solve this mystery" being resolved with "The mystery is that it exists! And has a few towns over for a while now, Professor." To "Mega Evolution happens when you love your Pokemon. Guess you don't love your starters, huh?" I think there came a point where they should have made the "mystery" lead to more people getting the ability to mega-evolve, including your rival and maybe few random trainers having it, too, when you aren't expecting it. Kalos was very close to being engaging, but the many ideas ended up clashing with each other. Like the villains motivation isn't even fully revealed until after you beat him and the Professor mumbles about overpopulation and then some random and generic NPC will tell you about their friendship if you go into a house and talk to him. It's just a bizarre game.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom