• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If movie 12 came out in US theatres, how would you market it?

Yoshi1001

Statistical Anomaly
Reaction score
Before we get started, I'd like to bring your attention to the topic title. This is not a thread about whether the 12th movie is coming to US theatres, but if it did, how would you market it?

It's no secret that the original Pokemon movies released to US theatres weren't exactly marketed as well as they could be, in part because there had never really been a franchise like it in US theatres on this level (certainly not with annual sequels like it ended up).

Now, I don't know what the relative costs of various forms of advertising, but I've divided the potential marketing fields as such:

1. Television (more money on network TV or cable?)
2. Print (newspapers/magazines-which ones?)
3. Internet (banner ads, etc.)
4. Merchandising/Tie-ins (music, figures, apparel, fast food, etc.)
5. Viral/other (let your imagination run wild!)

Basically, what kind of emphasis do you put on each area? I'd also like you to answer a few questions:

1. How do you deal with expectations set up by the previous films?
2. What's the tone of the marketing? Do you market it seriously (by animated movie standards) or as lighter fare?

Now this is my kind of topic. :) Feels like I'm back in school. (And that's actually a good thing this time.)

1. Television (more money on network TV or cable?)

While Saturday mornings aren't what they used to be, you can't ignore the fact that there are still lots of people out there who don't have cable. Network TV, Nick, CN, and Disney are the big places that should be hit, as well as smaller kids oriented channels.

2. Print (newspapers/magazines-which ones?)

The big newspapers in each market, Nintendo Power (duh) and whatever other magazines are popular with kids. (Is Nickelodeon magazine still around?)

3. Internet (banner ads, etc.)

Definitely banner ads that would target the popular kids sites. I'd also have the Cartoon Network site have some new game and activities and play up the fact they show the latest episodes on their site. (How many people on here even know about that?)

4. Merchandising/Tie-ins (music, figures, apparel, fast food, etc.)

Burger King is a no brainer, and obviously there'd be a soundtrack (that'd feature whoever is the hottest singers for that age group, because music from the movie itself just wont sell as well) and whatever figures the Japanese are releasing. I'd also try and bring over some of those clothes, because they have some really cool designs. I'd also try and work out a deal with Dominos to see if we could do that promotion.

5. Viral/other (let your imagination run wild!)

I'd definitely do some You Tube thing. Maybe feature select episodes from the TV show to help hype the movie and also have CN re-air the first two movies so kids can get caught up. I'd also do what the Japanese do and have Arceus available for download at the theater and have shiny Pichu for those who pre-ordered tickets.

1. How do you deal with expectations set up by the previous films?

Everything I've read about the movie seems to indicate it really is as good as it looks, so I'd just play up how this is the best Pokemon movie yet.

2. What's the tone of the marketing? Do you market it seriously (by animated movie standards) or as lighter fare?

I'd market as seriously as you can for a kids movie. I'd play up the evil guy who tricked Arceus plot, and show lots of shots of Arceus going crazy. There'd also be plenty of shots of all the legendary Pokemon going at it. Kinda make the whole thing look like a big the world is coming to an end and only Ash and friends can save it with the help of some new friends. I'd pretty much ignore NEP, because that kind of character doesn't sell as well over here. The one thing I'd keep the same is the Team Rocket ad telling you about the Pokemon you can get at the theater.

I pretty much agree with everything Rocket Girl said.

If it were going to be in theaters, I'd show the trailer during Saturday morning cartoons on CW, ABC, CN, and Disney as she said.

Also, I'd make sure the corresponding game was being advertised far in advance, as they have done. Better advertising of the game = more sales of the game = more people excited to see the corresponding movie.

Obviously money is the main hurdle in reality, but I'd try to assemble some popular musical artists for the soundtrack (Miley Cyrus, Jonas Bros. etc). While I'm not a big fan of those teen pop artists, their names associated with the movie would only increase ticket sales.

Yes, Burger King, Domino's and the rest of the well-known fast food companies doing advertising would be huge. Possibly an interactive thing where the movie could be seen in 3-D...sell the special glasses at BK, Dominos, etc (as well as the movie theaters of course). Showing it in 3-D (different from CGI/Live action mind you) would be a great new feature to attract new and old fans.

On Cartoon Network just say:
Pokemon Movie 12 the goat god is going to destroy the world on a channel near you. Then let the mothers flood the media.

:lol:

I don't think there's a better way to get the word out than that.

Pretty much attach sex, money, and fight scenes to it, all whilest throwing in some f-bombs. Mmm, yeah, I think we'd have ourselves a box office success.

I think Mitchman is on to something. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and if TPCI let it slip that the twelfth movie was pretty much about controlling PokeGod, the fundies would generate a lot of free publicity just in their protest of it as a kids' movie. Or even better, pull what EA did with the Inferno game at E3 and make a fake protest group complete with website.

Other than that, I'd market it like any family movie is marketed; show lots of TV ads, maybe some tie-in promotions (with Burger King, for example), and try to get buzz up for it.

Burger King is a no brainer, and obviously there'd be a soundtrack (that'd feature whoever is the hottest singers for that age group, because music from the movie itself just wont sell as well) and whatever figures the Japanese are releasing.

I was wondering whether people would go the first movie or 2000 route on the album. 2000 was (in my view) the better album, but the first movie was the better seller. You could always just add a Pokemon voice sample to the beginning and end and call it a Pokemon song (Lullaby, anyone). One benefit to doing this now is that many of the artists that would be tapped for this would be familiar with the franchise.

The big newspapers in each market, Nintendo Power (duh) and whatever other magazines are popular with kids. (Is Nickelodeon magazine still around?)

I would spend more on magazine advertising-kids don't read newspapers very much.

One other thing I've thought of (though it might be difficult from a technical standpoint) would be the week after the movie comes out, release what would be the DVD commentary as a podcast so people can download it and see the movie again.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom