• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If pokemon made real world locations...

Shinx3000

Reaction score
I have been wondering, if pokemon could last long enough so that all regions around Japan were used and they went to the real world locations (ones mentioned in pokemon) like America, or China, would they keep their dub voices in anime?

The show at present uses regions based of Japan, so the people in the original shows (non dubs, subs etc..) speak japanese. I know its the language of the country that made pokemon, but what would happen if the gang or something went to America for a trip? Would we have the gang speaking Japanese being subbed and Americans speaking English? Or would everyone speak English in dub and just say the whole world speaks English and do this for every dub and say same for them?

Any thoughts?

Well, IMO since the anime regions are only based and not the real corresponding Japanease region it`s logical to say that the official language is the dub language...it does not matter if it`s Japanease, English, Greek or French.

And as far as I know if a character speaks a foreign language in the anime they change it if it`s a language used in the country that makes the dub....for example, Fantina`s French phrases are changed in the French dub, right?

They'll always speak the language of the viewer, for simplicity's sake. And as Aladar said, the regions are only based on Japan, not Japan itself.

Well actually since the show was originally scheduled to go for one season(18 months) Kanto was actually a real place in Japan, but everything else was only based.

Ash in 20 years: OMG ITS THE REGION I CAN'T PRONOUNCE LETS GO GET SOME BADGES AND SUSHI!!!!!!!!!

Kanto is a real region in Japan, but in game/anime Kanto despite sharing its name are still only based on the real place. It's not the place itself.

Kanto is a real region in Japan, but in game/anime Kanto despite sharing its name are still only based on the real place. It's not the place itself.

Yeah, especially seeing how Hollywood, California seemed to be in the exact same place as the REAL Kanto (as evidenced by Ash and Co. leaving in a Van to that place in "Go West Young Meowth/Hollywood Heartbreak"), which simply cannot be the case.

There were some locations in anime who were based on non-Japanese locations. Remember that Town in Wherefore Art Thou, Pokémon? who was based on England village (they even commented that in dub)? And don't forget most of Movie Locations are based on eiter American or European locations. Of course characters are still speaking in Japanese language in original, English laguage in US dub or any other language in foreign dubs. Of course it's made for simplicity and it's common thing in Showbiz. Just look at Star Trek or Stargate. Do you really think it's realistic all these aliens are talking English? Of course not, but writers actually had no other choice if they don't want to bother their viewers with such thing as learning alien language.

Yeah, especially seeing how Hollywood, California seemed to be in the exact same place as the REAL Kanto (as evidenced by Ash and Co. leaving in a Van to that place in "Go West Young Meowth/Hollywood Heartbreak"), which simply cannot be the case.

Actually there is no evidence to say Hollywood was in Kanto, just that they could get there by Van.

Yes, that Hollywood easily could be in Johto :drool:
Anyway, can someone tell me if that place was called Hollywood in Japanese version too?

Not even that. I always figured they just took a plane to California in that episode.

Why couldn't they show a plane, then, or at the very least mention something about an Airport? That would have worked in at least showing that it was quite a ways away. I watched it last summer, and I definitely don't recall them EVER mentioning an Airport in that episode.

Last edited:
Actually, the place Satoshi and his friends went to in the Kanto region is just *based* on Hollywood. The actual place in Los Angeles is written in Japanese as ハリウッド (Ha-ri-u-d-do) while the place they go to in Kanto is called ホリウッド (Ho-ri-u-d-do). It's not the same place.

It's kind of like how the gang didn't *really* go to Mexico in Episode 018. They just went to a place *based* on the resort there.

Even if they exhaust the entirety of Japan's geographical map and structure, it is unlikely that they'll visit a place based upon another country's land. Instead, they'll simple fabricate a location, as they did with the Orange archipelago. You won't be seeing the California or Florida Pokemon equivalent.

And, as others have said, languages would not change. The default stays the default.

Actually, the place Satoshi and his friends went to in the Kanto region is just *based* on Hollywood. The actual place in Los Angeles is written in Japanese as ハリウッド (Ha-ri-u-d-do) while the place they go to in Kanto is called ホリウッド (Ho-ri-u-d-do). It's not the same place.

For sure it isn't. The place they referred to as Hollywood (or in this case, Horiuddo) looked like some sort of disaster took place. Something of the "Independence Day" level. Plus it's unfeasible that one can drive from Japan to Hollywood in a van (which, the episode implied, was exactly what they did do.), not to mention impossible.

It's kind of like how the gang didn't *really* go to Mexico in Episode 018. They just went to a place *based* on the resort there.

Well, at least the Dub tried to make it seem like a place that isn't on Earth (You know, they called it "Porta Vista"), Though considering how they referenced France and Hollywood (both definitely translated from the Japanese versions), I'm a bit surprised that they didn't seem to bother translating it as Acupalco.).

By the way, the French reference reminds me:

misty49.jpg

Was there a reason why the floor looked broken or dilapitated or something like that? I never really understood that.

I know the Antartica, China, and Minnesota references were dub-added, and the Hollywood and Acupalco-like places weren't the actual places, but was the Las Vegas reference in March of the Exeggutor Squad referenced in the original version or not?

For sure it isn't. The place they referred to as Hollywood (or in this case, Horiuddo) looked like some sort of disaster took place. Something of the "Independence Day" level. Plus it's unfeasible that one can drive from Japan to Hollywood in a van (which, the episode implied, was exactly what they did do.), not to mention impossible.

I always thought that the reason the hollywood looked dead and like that was because people like pokemon in the pokemon world, probably more so than being a film celebrity or whatnot, so that not being so big, hollywood crumbled because more people were intrested in training, making friend and battling pokemon than starring in or going to watch movies.

It's from "The School of Hard Knocks," IIRC.

And the reason the floor looks so dilapidated? Because if it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to see the Eiffel Tower in the background.

And the place mentioned in the Japanese version of "March of the Exeggutor Squad" is Broadway.

It's from "The School of Hard Knocks," IIRC.

Yeah, it was from that episode.

And the reason the floor looks so dilapidated? Because if it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to see the Eiffel Tower in the background.

Hmmm... well, couldn't the writers/animators at least try and do it in such a way that didn't make it look like Misty was in a dilapidated building?

Like, for example, the "camera" (for lack of a better term) would have it go down to those tables near the Eiffel Tower, and then have Misty with her eyes closed taking in the area with the Eiffel Tower be behind her.

And the place mentioned in the Japanese version of "March of the Exeggutor Squad" is Broadway.

Hmm... well... I don't exactly remember the Broadway of New York hosting Magic shows (they do house musicals, however. Showtunes, in other words, but not magic acts.), He may be referencing another Broadway. Possibly one exclusive to the show.

Plus, there is more than one Broadway. For example, there's the London and Sastakoon Broadways in addition to the New York Broadway.

Like, for example, the "camera" (for lack of a better term) would have it go down to those tables near the Eiffel Tower, and then have Misty with her eyes closed taking in the area with the Eiffel Tower be behind her.

It's just a single shot of a cafè table on a cobblestone street in Paris. Nothing important.

Also, that came from an old episode. References existed at the time because there wasn't enough else to reference upon! (Though the whole Fantina accent thing could be some sort of clue, it's still very much a coincidence).

One thing I think begs for discussion, if we're talking about 'real world locations' in Pokemon, is the settings in the movies. Those always include the animators going on-location to some locale and incorporating the details and culture into the background. That's one of the cases where the influence is definitely present, in a most beautiful way at times.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom