• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If someone said Pokemon is childish, what will be your reaction?

Red The Champion

The Ultimate Trainer!!!
Reaction score
As the title implies, what will be your reaction if someone says that Pokemon is childish to you?

To me, it depends on who says it. If its some random stranger, maybe I'll get mad a little and try to find a reason to fight back. If its a friend, I'll just use this sentence: "For Pete's sake, someone 20 years older than me still plays Pokemon." If its one of my family, I'll just stay quiet.

No matter who said it to me I wouldn't particularly care. Any fan can admit that the series is generally childish, being marketed toward children and everything. That doesn't mean people outside that target demographic can't enjoy and find fulfilling ways to experience it however.

I'm a child at heart, so I couldn't disagree with them.

I won't be annoyed by that, because Pokémon are my "secret hobby", and I never told anyone about that. Childlish is Pokémon franchise's typical properties, which enables it targeting at young players. However, it's not completely childlish as some parts have a "dark-side", like in Pocket Monsters Special manga.

I tell them that I technically am a child, so it's ok. Also, I tell him/her to each his own.

I would tell them that they're wrong and that if they're so concerned, why not focus on something more "mature"?

I would thank them for pointing out the obvious, and passive-aggressively suggest they return to their own mature hobbies.

I do admit Pokemon as a whole give almost everyone a childish feeling, so I don't mind what people said. In any case, I already get used to and being sick and tired to argue with all the real world people saying such things about Pokemon, so I don't even care. I'm interested in Pokemon, but that is a secret shares between only my family members and people on the internet that didn't even know my true identity.

However, if someone ridicules me about my interest of Pokemon, I will definitely retort, because that someone is attacking me personally.

I get it almost every day. I just say thatyeah, that is why 100s of people who are like 20-40 years old do playthroughs of it on youtube. That is why there are large forums dedicated to pokemon, I mean yeah. A 7 year old can really set up PHP or V bulliten and have their own domain and server set up that can be access world wide without a single error or spelling mistake.

The fact that things like Liberation, Antimatter, Origin of Existence and Law are involved just proves even further that it is not solely directed at kids. You have percentages of shinies, IVs, EVs, advanced breeding. These physics are not in any way solely intended for a five year old.

I'd be like, "truth be told it is, it captured my imagination as a child and I still love it, though I'm hoping for it to change and be more enjoyable for adults."

Well pokemon is not childish, I mean look at all of the teenagers or adults going on these forums to discuss it.

I don't even bother to try explaining because they're not even tying to listen to me anyways. It's a waste of time and energy, and as long as they don't do anything directly to hurt my feelings, I'm fine.

I've had this conversation with a 13 year old before...

Basically my argument was that while the franchise is mainly marketed to a younger crowd, small children don't understand the complex battle system and other features of the game. So they have content for an older audience as well, meaning it's not just a "kid's game."

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom