• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If there was ONE thing about Ash that you could change what you it be?

What thing about Ash would you change?

• Total voters
But, with the B/W series, it's a different story. Sarah's voice just doesn't fit Ash's personality in B/W. And that's because he acts younger, and more energetic, similar to his Kanto/Johto self.

I wish TPCi realized this mistake and wrote out the "ten year old" bit from the dub.

Yes, I wish that too. But, even if they had written that part out of the dub, Ash would still be "acting" young with the animation and the script as well... =(

I also wish that TPCi had cast Veronica Taylor as Delia (that would be better than no role at all, since they won't bring Veronica back for Ash).

TPCi apparently thinks that Sarah's Ash is no different from Veronica's Ash, lol. But there's actually a pretty big difference. I mean, you can actually FEEL the energy in Ash's voice, back when Veronica voiced him. Her Ash voice was just amazing. <3

Now, in B/W, you can hear emotion in Sarah's Ash. There is definitely some emotion. But, Sarah just portrays Ash differently than Veronica did. And I think this has become obvious to fans now, with B/W and Ash's personality change, and the age thing.

Last edited:
Ash needs to win something big for once. If he wants to be the very best like no one ever was, he needs to step up his game big time.

I would have 2 changes, his age, he would grow older, and when he would grow older, he would show his affections toward Misty openly

Ash needs to stop resetting competence and move forward as a trainer. I feel he's a bit too dim for a protagonist of a show based off a strategy game.

His age, but then again it would bump it up only one year. Say every episode one day, then a year and several months have already past

Definitely, there is no excuse for the way he is acting.

Not to mention he isn't the best audience surrogate for this kind of franchise/game. Someone like Yusei from Yugioh 5ds is the kind of protagonist that makes sense in a strategy game a guy who is calm and thinks things through before he makes any move.

Haha, Ash's personality is one thing that I've always loved about him. He's brash, and he likes to jump right into things, lol.

I love how Ash admits that he's brash in "The Chikorita Rescue", when he does his own motto. That was awesome!! XD

Haha, Ash's personality is one thing that I've always loved about him. He's brash, and he likes to jump right into things, lol.

I love how Ash admits that he's brash in "The Chikorita Rescue", when he does his own motto. That was awesome!! XD

Sometimes his brash attitude gets him a win, but when he acts too excited or cocky he gets his butt handed to him time after time

Yeah, that's true, lol.

But with Ash, there's a big difference between him being brash, and being overconfident. And that overconfidence is exactly what hurts Ash during his battles.

True but look at his match with Gary with Pikachu vs Eevee, the Lake Acuity battle with Paul and the Battle Club match with Trip, notice these similarities;

• All 3 were rival battles
  • Ash let his overconfidence, anger, recklessness and rashness cause him to cloud his better judgement in combat which led to horrible defeats
  • He let his Pokemon either stay in battle until they dropped or called out moves just for the sake of using them

He really needs to take the advice from Drake back in Hoenn that would help him a lot to do better in his matches

True but look at his match with Gary with Pikachu vs Eevee, the Lake Acuity battle with Paul and the Battle Club match with Trip, notice these similarities;

• Ash let his overconfidence, anger, recklessness and rashness cause him to cloud his better judgement in combat which led to horrible defeats
  • He let his Pokemon either stay in battle until they dropped or called out moves just for the sake of using them

One flaw I notice in his battling style is that Ash is a bit too focused on what is happening in the present in front of him. He doesn't really try to prepare ahead of his opponent by thinking about what pokemon to save for later or using moves that can support the next mon. Take what Paul used recently like his light screen and toxic spikes and remember those moves are team support to benefit the long run rather than the present. Ash is just go in and smash heads at random and damn what happens afterwards. I've faced people with Ash's mindset and one of them actually thought Stealth Rock was a weak move because it didn't do damage instantly.

In a way Ash's brash personality is endearing, but what I liked most was that he experienced character development and learned from a lot of his mistakes. He still maintains core aspects of his personality, but by DP he really seemed like a veteran trainer at times, and I thought it was a nice, symbolic way of showing just how far Ash had come.

... Then they pretty much erase that in BW from what I've seen. I curse BW in general for reverting Ash for no adequately explained reason. Sure, Ash got reset in AG and DP, but not so much in a way that he seemed to totally regress. In BW it feels a bit more... extreme.

One flaw I notice in his battling style is that Ash is a bit too focused on what is happening in the present in front of him. He doesn't really try to prepare ahead of his opponent by thinking about what pokemon to save for later or using moves that can support the next mon. Take what Paul used recently like his light screen and toxic spikes and remember those moves are team support to benefit the long run rather than the present. Ash is just go in and smash heads at random and damn what happens afterwards. I've faced people with Ash's mindset and one of them actually thought Stealth Rock was a weak move because it didn't do damage instantly.

Yeah, the match with Paul is the best example; if his Pokemon has a grudge or wants to continue even if its damaged he'll keep em in even at a disadvantage.

Grotle vs. Honchcrow; Ash was just stupid for doing that and his timing was off

Buizel vs. Ursaring; Ash was going to recall it after taking Hammer Arm, but Buizel wanted to continue fighting so Ash let it and then it go blasted with Focus Blast and knocked out oh and my favorite line "Bulk Up? It just raised its offensive and defense...aww who cares!"

Gliscor vs. Electavire; Ash was going to recall it but Electavire came out and he thought about how no electric moves would work on Gliscor but he was still going to call it back, Gliscor convinced him to still battle and it got knocked out without causing any damage

he just wants to prove a point by defeating a rival to get his point across but gets his ass handed to him because he doesn't focus.

I think he's fine.

Though I wish he'd have a bit more confidence in his voice like Rica-san's. Neither of Ash's actors have been able to fully capture it, though his first one had his rashness and his current one has his energy. (Actually, I like his second one more in places)
He just needs someone to portray more hot blood in his voice. I'm not talking about on the level of Vic McNutterButter or Kyle Hebert, or even Sean Schemmel (though the last one did a good Jimmy in the Raikou special). Just someone who can make Ash vehement, energetic, and, (obviously) hot-blooded, as he's flanderized to be.

I would definitely change his age and his obliviousness to the opposite gender.

I think of him as 14 or 15 anyway, even though it's not canon. The thought of him still being 10 is ridiculous to me.

And while his not understanding of love can be funny sometimes, other times it's just plain irritating. He should at least have SOME idea of what's going on in that department.

I think he's fine.

Though I wish he'd have a bit more confidence in his voice like Rica-san's. Neither of Ash's actors have been able to fully capture it, though his first one had his rashness and his current one has his energy. (Actually, I like his second one more in places)
He just needs someone to portray more hot blood in his voice. I'm not talking about on the level of Vic McNutterButter or Kyle Hebert, or even Sean Schemmel (though the last one did a good Jimmy in the Raikou special). Just someone who can make Ash vehement, energetic, and, (obviously) hot-blooded, as he's flanderized to be.

Good answer, one of my most irritated moments when he talks is if a rival or another character says something he either doesn't like or something about beating him in battle and he goes;

"What was that?!?!", the voice that he has just doesn't match the situation at hand. He sounds like Margie Simpson when he yells like that and the person that he is yelling at doesn't seem threatened at all in the least and I couldn't blame them. If it were me I'd bust out laughing if someone with that voice tried to yell at me.

I will agree that his current voice while irritating to me does have energy to it but its not containing everything that truly defines Ash's character. If anything I'd go with his AG voice at this point in the series. That voice and his original voice are the best IMO.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom