• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could add a new type, what would it be?

Personally, none as far as I can think of, there's a lot of great types as it stands already, and most of them cover a majority of the elements, terrestrial and extraterrestrial.

And also Ghosts can't actually kill people. They just scare them
Lots of depictions of ghosts show them capable of harming/killing the living, including Pokemon. See...

Haunter's Pearl and Sun Pokédex entries:
It licks with its gaseous tongue to steal the victim's life force. It lurks in darkness for prey.
It strikes at humans from total darkness. Those licked by its cold tongue grow weaker with each passing day until they die.
Cofagrigus's Y entry:
Grave robbers who mistake them for real coffins and get too close end up trapped inside their bodies.
Palossand's Moon entry:
Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
Mimikyu's Ultra Sun entry:
Although it's a quiet, lonely Pokémon, if you try to look at what's under its rag, it will become agitated and resist violently.

Not in my opinion. Ghost is considered undead. And also Ghosts can't actually kill people. They just scare them
If it's just about what can kill you, though, there's already plenty of Pokemon that can do that, through burning, drowning, poison, etc. Usually when I see a death element in a game, it's tied to undead creatures.

Speed
Energy
Life
Sound
Wind
Light
Time
Space
Cosmic
Void
Solar
Lunar
Sand
Blood
Machine
Gravity
Death
Destruction
Wood
Cyber
Tech
Magic
Luck
Mist
Holy
Clay
Ink
Arcane
Rainbow
Aura
Plasma
Nature
Gem
Weather/Storm
Acid
Atom
Gold
Silver
Copper
Platinum
Chaos
Forcefield
Smoke
Chrome
Shadow
Nature
Nuclear
Star
Love
Heart
Glass/Mirror
Ethereal
Crystal
Spirit
Soul
Ethernal
Music
Demon
Diamond
Mega type
Super type
Radio
Hunter
Mystic
Oni
Power
Amber

Solgaleo=Solar/Psychic
Lunala=Lunar/Psychic
Xerneas=Life/Fairy
Yveltal=Dark/Destruction
Palkia=Cosmic/Dragon
Dialga=Time/Dragon
Celebi=Time/Grass
Arceus=Holy/Normal
Diancie=Gem/Fairy
Hoopa=Magic/Ghost=Hoopa Unbound=Magic/Dark
Magearna=Steel/Heart
Marshadow=Fighting/Shadow
Zygarde=Energy/Dragon
Cresselia=Lunar/Dreams
Cosmog & Cosmoem=Cosmic/Psychic
Eternatus=Eternal/Dragon or Death/Dragon
Celesteela=Chrome/Flying
Guzzlord=Destruction/Dragon

If there was one extra type I had to fit in, I'd say the 'Tech' type is the best description that is broad enough to be a decent one. It encompasses a lot of different designs, such as Cyberspace, Alien, and advanced Technology/Magic that many Pokemon inhibit. Even some ancient Pokemon might hold the type as well.

Existing Pokemon that might hold the Tech Type as a replacement or addition of their current typings:

Porygon/2/Z
Deoxys
Baltoy/Claydol
Bronzor/Bronzong
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
Rotom-Normal Form
Probopass
Klink/Klang/Klinklang
Golett/Golurk
Elgyem/Beheeyem
Cryogonal
Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross
Genesect
Xurkitree
Celesteela
Orbeetle
Intelleon

Tech Types are weak to Ghost, Bug, and Dragon type attacks.

They are resistant to Fighting, Fairy, Ground, and Flying type attacks.

Attacks are super-effective against Fighting, Fairy, Steel, and Normal Type Pokemon.

Attacks are not very effective against Ghost, Bug, Electric, and Psychic types.

----
Just my ideas, anyways. I suppose there could be this sort of 'Underworld' type, but that really overlap with Dark and Ghosts a bit too much for my taste.

Is that a pun I see there?

In one way, it could be a pun. But another interpretation is that bugs themselves are known to be very adaptive and resilient against whatever technology and environmental changes get thrown at them - Think cockroaches, for instance. Thus they can resist and strike back against tech types.

This reasoning could be added to why dragon attacks are super effective, too: Dragons could be seen as rebellious against the technological means we have to control them - So their attacks retaliate strongly against technology.

Hey Lanstar what's your favorite type on my list besides tech

None of them - as they all either:

1. Overlap too much with the existing types
2. Have too few existing Pokemon that could reasonably become those types,
3. Have too narrow an amount of attacks that actually utilizes those types compared to the other types, or
4. Can't have distinct-type effectivenes charts that both make sense and develop the meta in a worthwhile manner

Types are so fundemental to the gameplay that there must be a very good reason for adding a new type. I don't think we should add types for the sake of adding them - Instead, we should ask whether a new type would actually fix a problem in the gameplay, as opposed to just adding unneeded complexity. Just being "kewl" doesn't cut it!

Take the Fairy Type introduced in Gen. IV. It was a clear example of a 'good' type to add in the game because:

1. It didn't overlap any existing type that much - It actually felt 'missing' from the game in some manner.
2. There were plenty of existing pokemon that could be described as a 'Fairy', whether it be a primary or secondary type,
3. Has a broad enough scope to base plenty of attacks off of it, despite Game Freak limiting its development, and
4. Its match-up chart makes plenty of sense, while patching the meta quite a lot - It made Dragon and Dark Pokemon less OP and also made Poison and Steel moves worth using.

Tech type is the only one I could see passing these 4 requirements:

1. It doesn't overlap existing types too much: It might feel in common with some existing types, but it does feel like its own thing.
2. As I listed, plenty of existing Pokemon could have that type - Many psychic types feel more "Tech" than "Psychic" to me.
3. It might take some creativity, but Tech type attacks could be made possible. Unfortunately, this is the weakest area in the typing, as such moves would overlap a lot with existing Electric, Normal, Steel and Psychic type attacks.
4. It can have a distinct match-up chart that could make sense, and even help the meta find more use for Dragon and Bug attacks - All while making Steel, Fairy, and Normal Types less restrictive defensively.

None of them - as they all either:

1. Overlap too much with the existing types
2. Have too few existing Pokemon that could reasonably become those types,
3. Have too narrow an amount of attacks that actually utilizes those types compared to the other types, or
4. Can't have distinct-type effectivenes charts that both make sense and develop the meta in a worthwhile manner

Types are so fundemental to the gameplay that there must be a very good reason for adding a new type. I don't think we should add types for the sake of adding them - Instead, we should ask whether a new type would actually fix a problem in the gameplay, as opposed to just adding unneeded complexity. Just being "kewl" doesn't cut it!

Take the Fairy Type introduced in Gen. IV. It was a clear example of a 'good' type to add in the game because:

1. It didn't overlap any existing type that much - It actually felt 'missing' from the game in some manner.
2. There were plenty of existing pokemon that could be described as a 'Fairy', whether it be a primary or secondary type,
3. Has a broad enough scope to base plenty of attacks off of it, despite Game Freak limiting its development, and
4. Its match-up chart makes plenty of sense, while patching the meta quite a lot - It made Dragon and Dark Pokemon less OP and also made Poison and Steel moves worth using.

Tech type is the only one I could see passing these 4 requirements:

1. It doesn't overlap existing types too much: It might feel in common with some existing types, but it does feel like its own thing.
2. As I listed, plenty of existing Pokemon could have that type - Many psychic types feel more "Tech" than "Psychic" to me.
3. It might take some creativity, but Tech type attacks could be made possible. Unfortunately, this is the weakest area in the typing, as such moves would overlap a lot with existing Electric, Normal, Steel and Psychic type attacks.
4. It can have a distinct match-up chart that could make sense, and even help the meta find more use for Dragon and Bug attacks - All while making Steel, Fairy, and Normal Types less restrictive defensively.

I think Cosmic can pass these 4 requirements too. Right now the Psychic type is used to represent space, but if the Cosmic type represented space, celestial bodies, planets and aliens, I think it would be broad enough to warrant being it's own thing.

Just off the top of my head, the following Pokémon would make sense as cosmic types:

Cleffa line (Fairy/Cosmic)
Staryu line (Water/Cosmic)
Deoxys (Cosmic)
Lunatone and Solrock (Rock/Cosmic)
Elgyem line (Cosmic)

Basically the Cosmic type would be added as an extra type or replace the Psychic type.

The theme is broad enough to have a good number of moves too.

I'm only having a hard time coming up with weaknesses and resistances.

When I was a child I invented two types, Wood and Glass. In hindsight though, I'm not sure if either of these would be particularly good additions. Wood is already covered by Grass more or less, and Glass a bit too niche be applied to very many Pokemon.

I don't think we necessarily need any more types at this stage, but if I were to add one it would probably be Sound (or Sonic). There are literally dozens of Pokemon that could be retconned to have this type, many of which are Normal type at the moment. The only problem is that some sound-based Pokemon, like Primarina and Komo-o, already have two types that aren't Normal, and it wouldn't seem right to retcon those. I don't think any type other than Normal should ever be replaced by a new one (not for Pokemon anyway - re-typing moves is fine).

I see the hypothetical Light type discussed a lot, but I think Fairy is close enough. Most Fairy types have a benevolent appearance and their moves are super-effective against Dark types.

A new type? I've always thought there were too many already. Instead, I'd combine Rock and Ground into Earth-type, because the difference is just so minuscule that it's sheer semantics to me. Would probably also combine Ghost and Dark because there is considerable overlap between them as well. Maybe call it Sinister-type.

A new type? I've always thought there were too many already. Instead, I'd combine Rock and Ground into Earth-type, because the difference is just so minuscule that it's sheer semantics to me.
This is something I have always wondered, and I feel like they might have been the same type at one point, but later got separated.

Would probably also combine Ghost and Dark because there is considerable overlap between them as well. Maybe call it Sinister-type.
Not really. Ghost is more paranormal phenomena, while Dark is focused on foul play. Dark is also called Sinister in Spanish already.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom