• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If You Could Change a Pokémon...

Okay, here's one that might be somewhat contentious: I'd remove Tyranitar's Mega Evolution and make its design one for a Gigantamax form instead. I feel like Legendary and pseudo-legendary Pokemon should have never had Mega Evolutions in the first place, but Mega Tyranitar in particular is one I feel is especially superfluous because as far as I can tell it was seldom-used due to base Tyranitar not really needing the boost and the Mega slot being better utilized by other Pokemon. Meanwhile, with Tyranitar being clearly based on Godzilla, it's probably the one Pokemon most deserving of a Gigantamax form, so I think it really should have gotten that instead of a Mega Evolution, since it's much more thematically fitting to Tyranitar's basis. As for the special Gigantamax Move, I'm thinking maybe something like "G-Max Plasmablast" which is what all of Tyranitar's Dark-type attacks would become as a Gigantamax Pokemon, it'd be animated to look like Godzilla's trademark radiation breath and as a secondary effect it'd remove the opponents' Abilities.

Well, Garchomp mega is quite worse mega-evolution than Tyranitar's one. For a long time, Mega-Garchomp was seen as worse than the standard version, if it is not yet considered that way. In addition, Mega-Tyranitar look much more cool than Mega-Garchomp. Still, I agree with you.

Mega-Metagross, however, is one of the best megas, in terms of design and strength, and was quite necessary given the Pokémon's position.

-----------------------------------------------------

I would revert Gengar nerf. How does the game Freak dare to nerf a Pokémon that's been competitive since the first generation, just because yes? The shadow pokemon deserves the best treatment.

In speaking of Mega Evolutions, I would change Mega Latias to have a more reddish main color because it having the same color as Mega Latios can be really confusing, especially with a nickname. The only discernible thing between them because of a nickname would be their genders.

Also, why does Latias Mega Evolve to have the color schemes of Latios in the first place. It makes a lot more sense with a more reddish color while Mega Latios would keep the blue color scheme.

Decidueye: Move 40 of its special attack into speed since its special attack movepool is as small as Chesnaughts and is clearly meant to be a physical attacker. Alola now has a fast starter.
Mega Latios + Latias: Either they keep their base form colors or use the other's color (Latias becomes blue when Mega Evolving and vice versa). It bothers me that they look identical.
Blastoise: Give it shell smash.
Talonflame: Make the HP threshold for Gale Wings more forgiving or give it a different condition for activating like giving priority on first flying move used and can refresh if switched out and back in. Gale wings needed a nerf but it was overkill.
Silvally: Give it more moves like Recover, Earthquake, Stealth Rock etc and give it a damage boost when it holds a memory like Arceus does.
Rotom: Give the fan a different ability. Levitate on a flying type is a joke.
Lycanrock Midnight: Give it its own signature move that is like like Payback but Rock type with higher base power and change its ability to Sturdy. GF played favorites with Lycanrock's forms so much is not even funny.
Samurott: Make it Water/Fighting and give it the appropriate fighting type moves.
Vikavolt: Move some stats around to give it a speed stat. A beetle in the shape of a railgun that is described by the dex as "flusters opponents with acrobatic flying maneuvers" shouldn't be slower than Golem.

Add the Rock type back to Galarian Corsola (and by extension Cursola). It's still an unused type combo and since dead coral is often confused as rocks, I don't even know why GF got rid of it.

Blastoise: Give it shell smash
Already has it, they FINALLY gave it to the Squirtle line in gen 8.

In speaking of Mega Evolutions, I would change Mega Latias to have a more reddish main color because it having the same color as Mega Latios can be really confusing, especially with a nickname. The only discernible thing between them because of a nickname would be their genders.

Also, why does Latias Mega Evolve to have the color schemes of Latios in the first place. It makes a lot more sense with a more reddish color while Mega Latios would keep the blue color scheme.
The mega Lati design is purple, a mixture of the two base forms. So it's not like one makes more sense than the other. I kinda wish they had a few more differences in design as well, but the only one I notice is the eye color.

My theory is that they did this to take the easy way out when soaring was introduced in ORAS. The only needed one flying model shared between them.

I found some interesting sobble redesigns that I liked. I'd like to post some here. I usually pick the water starter because water is my favourite type. When Inteleon and Drizile came to life my heart got broken because I found their design garbage. Like the old saying, to each one his own.

This is what Sobble's evos shoud look like imo. That final stage looks way less humanoid and closer to the animal its based on (a chameleon). Amazing last stage.
4ae60a03c4588de3326d40238af61f74.jpg

Source: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/4a/e6/0a/4ae60a03c4588de3326d40238af61f74.jpg

Queen guard Sobble? What a cool idea. Way better than what we got imo. Water/Steel. The middle stage looks awesome. It's tail is used as a shield and a spear by the middle and last stages, respectively. Cool idea.

pTRCqNg.jpg

Source: Check Out Fan-Art Of Grookey, Scorbunny, And Sobble's Evolutions - NintendoSoup

Another Water/Ghost. Based on Shakespeare writings, quite cool. Could be Allister ace pokemon, since its tail resembles Allister's mask. The middle stage looks weird, but remember, Combusken and Prinplup are not that cool and they got cool last stages.

sobble_evolution_line_by_villi_c_dd35arf-pre.jpg

Source: SOBBLE EVOLUTION LINE by villi-c on DeviantArt

Last edited:
These are the changes I would make:

Typings:
Trapinch: Bug/Ground, while Flygon and Vibrava would be Bug/Dragon.
Shiinotic: Poison/Fairy
Mismagius: Ghost/Fairy
Luxray: Electric/Dark
Zeraora: Electric/Fighting
Blacephalon: Fire/Fairy
Ursaring: Normal/Dark
Bellossom: Grass/Fairy
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf: pure Fairy
Cottonee/Whimsicott: back to pure Grass
Fomantis/lurantis: Bug/Grass

Stats: the only ones I really want to change are Decidueye (taking 20 points from Sp. Def and putting them into Speed) , adding 60 points to Haxorus' BST so it can be a pseudo legendary, and making Arceus 130 in every stat so it can have 780 BST and be the strongest again (now that megas and Primal reversions are gone)

Abilities:
Give Gengar Levitate back.

Form changes: I would make Oricorio unable to change forms, in that way every form could have unique movepools.

Last edited:
But Fomantis not being a bug is the whole point, it's right there in the name. It's like Sudowoodo.

Hard agree on Uxie et al, there are several Psychic types that should have been retyped as Fairy when it was introduced (looking at you, Celebi).

I could see the Lake Guardians being part Fairy, but I don't know about being pure Fairy. Mesprit's emotions are maybe more in Fairy's category, but knowledge and willpower are definitely Psychic's department. (Zen Headbutt's description even specifically says "The user focuses its willpower to its head and attacks the target.")

Mostly the Galar starters cause other than Rillaboom, I hate the final stages.

Inteleon becomes a sea serpent/sea dragon based on stealth. Mixing both the Loch Ness monster with the spy.

Cinderace, literally anything else. The current one looks like a man in a bunny suit.

Rillaboom is a minor touch but I'd have the drumsticks and the drum function as a hairtie/hairclip. It makes it easy to carry them around and exlain where it came from, opposed to the drum and sticks that now just... spawn.

I'd swap Stonjourner's Speed with its Special Defense because firstly, I think 70 is way too fast for something that can't even bend its legs, and secondly, because just now I was fighting at SWSH's Battle Tower, and my Jolteon OHKO'd one with Hyper Voice. Yes, Stonjourner was at full health. No, it wasn't a critical hit. Also no, my Jolteon didn't have any boosts to her Special Attack. A Rock-type being downed by one resisted non-STAB hit just doesn't feel right.

Speaking of which, I think it would be cool if the Eeveelutions were all given the Partner Eevee moves from Let's Go (or perhaps equivalents with the same effects so we don't have to deal with ridiculous names), with each one getting the one that matches their type. I don't think it's very likely but I can dream...
That was something I thought of too; in a fan game idea I had a move tutor for each of these moves served as an alternate evolution method. And yeah the names are ridiculous, but I also love the possibility of Baddy Bad Umbreon being a force in competitive play ;)

I’m also not the first person to think of this either, but give Zamazenta Body Press please!

Have I said this before? I would erase Wobbuffet and Miltank from existence. I cannot stand those pokemon yet for some annoying reason they keep including them in the newest games. I'd probably do the same with Magikarp.

Also, I'd make most of the early bird Pokémon pure flying types.

Have I said this before? I would erase Wobbuffet and Miltank from existence. I cannot stand those pokemon yet for some annoying reason they keep including them in the newest games. I'd probably do the same with Magikarp.
Why Magikarp? I can understand the others, they’re abominations, but Magikarp?

Why Magikarp? I can understand the others, they’re abominations, but Magikarp?
Yeah, I know... yay, Gyarados... I am just sick of Magikarps being everywhere and in almost all main titles. I might not want it to disappear, really, but I think we should get a long break from it. Like Charizard. Or make them rarer in future games. Gyarados is OP as heck, and too available for my taste.

Have I said this before? I would erase Wobbuffet and Miltank from existence. I cannot stand those pokemon yet for some annoying reason they keep including them in the newest games.
Well, Wobbuffet is in basically every game because of the TRio's own Wobbuffet. They sure as hell don't want to pull another BW and leave him behind due to it not being available in the region. It's essentially the same reasoning as to why neither Meowth nor Pikachu ever get excluded from any games: these 3 are pretty much the ''3 Constants'' of the anime when it comes to Pokémon, since it's basically guaranteed they will appear because of the TRio and Ash, so, they are always there.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom