• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could change a Pokémon's type...

I would remove the Normal from all the Normal/ Flying types (eg. Pidgeot, Staraptor, Fearow), since it does not make sense. After all, the Bug types who aren't very special are Normal/Bug, are they? And the fact that a creature can fly makes it NOT normal in my eyes. They are already special and have many ties with the wind and sky.

They should all be pure Flying types like Rookidee and Corvisquire. Now that is something I liked from the Galar early birds.

Noctowl: Psychic / Flying
Absol: pure Psychic or Fairy (not Dark)
Dunsparce: Ground
Goodra: Dragon / Water
Braviary: Fighting / Flying
Basculin: Water / Dark
I'd say that Pidove could stay Normal/Flying since it is based on a pigeon, one of the most "Normal" birds.

psyduck: water/psychic. it’s name literally sounds like “psychic duck”, it’s pokedex entries talk about its psychic powers. it also learns psychic type moves.

Sinistea/Polteageist: Ghost/Poison - A lot of people suggest Ghost/Water, but the idea of Polteageist being poisoned tea would fit with its coloration.
Galarian Corsola/Cursola: Ghost/Rock - Feel this one is kind of obvious.
Falinks: Fighting/Steel - This one is also kind of obvious.
Perrserker: Steel/Fighting - Galar had this weird insistence on having single-typed Pokemon when a dual-type would make just as much if not more sense.
Copperajah: Steel/Ground - Again, another weird Galar monotype that would make more sense as a dual-type.
Midnight Lycanroc: Rock/Dark - This one feels way too obvious. And come on, it looks like a Dark-type.
Lurantis: Grass/Bug - I know, it being a Bug-type would ruin the joke of it being a plant that mimics a bug that mimics a plant, but consider this: Fomantis remains a pure Grass-type, and it gains the Bug-typing upon evolution. It's a plant mimicking a bug that evolves into an actual bug.
Drapion: Bug/Dark - We really, really, really, REALLY need a Bug/Dark-type. It's beein seven friggin' generations since Dark was introduced and they still haven't combined my two favorite types.
Timburr/Gurdurr/Conkeldurr: Fighting/Fairy - Back when Fairy was introduced, the other clown Pokemon line was retconned to be part-Fairy. And honestly, Conkeldurr being a Fairy-type would be hilarious.
Darmanitan: Fire/Fighting - It has the arms of a Fighting-type and it would add a fun twist to Zen Mode gaining the Psychic-type.
Galarian Darmanitan: Ice/Fighting - Again, it'd just work as a Fighting-type.
Cofagrigus: Ghost/Steel - Its coffin is literally made of gold, which is metal.
Garbodor: Poison/Steel - The piping that forms its arms looks pretty metallic to me.
Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle: Psychic/Ghost or Psychic/Dark - I don't really like this line much, but either of these typings would have fit it well.
Cubchoo/Beartic: Ice/Water - Polar bears are marine mammals, dammit
Eiscue: Ice/Water - Penguins are marine birds, dammit
Mienshao: Fighting/Fairy - Since Game Freak didn't seem to want to make Fairy-types creepy-looking (aside from Mr. Mime and Mawile, and even they're not creepy IMO) until Gen 8, the most elegant Fighting-type would be a good fit for Fairy.
Cranidos/Rampardos: Rock/Fighting - This would be a cool way to give them a mutual weakness/advantage against Bastiodon.
Mismagius: Ghost/Psychic or Ghost/Fairy - Either would fit in with Mismagius' witchy design.
Hippowdon: Ground/Dark - Hippos are fucking mean.

I think you're misunderstanding what the Fairy type is for. While they slapped it onto anything cute in Gen 6, later generations associated it with trickstery mythical beings (in contrast to the "brute force" of dragons) - fairy rings, kitsune, imps, witches, etc. It's not just "the weird humanoid type".

As for why Zacian is a Fairy-type... I have no idea.

Spritzee, Aromatisse: Fairy --> Psychic

I don't think Fairy is fitting on these two just because of what they're based on. Plague doctors wore their masks stuffed with perfumey substances because it was thought that disease was spread through polluted air, i.e. miasma theory, and that nice-smelling substances could help prevent or fight off disease. With that in mind, making these two weak to the Poison type despite the fact that the Poison type involves pollution, foul odors, etc. I think was a case of mistyping. Psychic would at least make sense in terms of their inspiration, and, besides, I struggle to see what makes them fairies outside of the fact that they're pink and feminine.

Always thought Aerodactyl should've been Rock/Dragon but I get why Game Freak might've thought that would be overkill. Still it would make sense because of Aerodactyl looking so dragon-like.
I kinda feel that Dragon (along with Ghost) might have been the last types made in Gen I. Which might explain some oddities regarding those types.

While I used to have the usual objections (cough cough charizard cough cough gyarados cough cough doduo) I've more or less come to terms with them. A lot of the more questionable typing decisions were made in Generation I where things were more or less bonkers and not exactly very well balanced.

Nowadays there are very few questionable types (and the few that are questionable, like Nihilego, are intentionally so)

The one typing I don't quite get and would be comfortable in questioning is ironically a type change itself. Wigglytuff is Normal / Fairy, why?

I mean, Clefable became Fairy because it has a lot of moon associations, it's japanese name is literally Pixie and so on, but Wigglytuff doesn't really have any of that.

It should have stayed pure Normal, not only for those thematic reasons but to create a bigger niche when compared to Clefable.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom