• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could change a Pokémon's type...

Reaction score
Have you ever wished that you could change a Pokémon's type? There's quite a few I would change if I had the chance....

Galarian Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd - Fighting/Flying
I know they can't fly, but neither can Doduo and Dodrio. If simply being a bird was enough to be classed as Flying in Red and Blue, why not now?

Azurill, Marill and Azumarill - remove Fairy type
I'd change these back to the original typings they had before X and Y. Giving them the Fairy type never make much sense to me - what makes them more fairylike than, say, Pikachu or Skitty? It also spoiled the novelty of Azurill being a Pokemon that completely changes its type when it evolves.

Swablu and Fletchling - pure Flying
Like Rookidee and Corvisquire, these two Pokémon gain another type when they evolve, so they could have been pure Flying. If you wanted to take it a step further, all Normal/Flying types could be changed to pure Flying. Rookidee and Corvisquire's typing does raise some questions otherwise: what makes them less "normal" than all the other bird Pokémon we've seen before?

Unova starters
I'd change Pignite to pure Fire, Emboar to pure Fire or Fire/Ground, and Samurott to Water/Fighting. I'd either keep Serperior the same or make it Grass/Dragon.

Florges and Xerneas - Fairy/Grass
I know this wouldn't have been such a good defensive typing for either Pokémon, but it would have made more sense lore-wise. I like Flabébé and Floette being pure Fairy because they're just fairies that carry a flower around, but Florges should have become Fairy/Grass when it evolves because the flower becomes part of its body. Xerneas resembles a tree while in its dormant state, and with the Grass type it would have been a much fairer opponent for Yveltal, with each Pokémon being able to use super-effective STAB moves against the other.

Zeraora - Electric/Fighting
I'm fine with Zeraora being pure Electric, but it does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity when it could have been the first ever Electric/Fighting type. It learns Power-Up Punch, Quick Guard and Close Combat via level-up.

Another thing that bothers me, to a lesser extent because it's purely aesthetic, is when a Pokémon's primary and secondary types seem like they should be the other way round. We've seen some strange anomalies lately, like Mime Jr. going from primary Psychic to secondary Psychic when it evolves into Galarian Mr. Mime, and Galarian Slowpoke going from pure Psychic to secondary Psychic when it evolves. Or what about Snom and Frosmoth - why are they secondary Bug when Larvesta and Volcarona are primary Bug? Why are Tirtouga and Carracosta the only Fossil Pokémon, barring the Galar ones, not to be primary Rock? The list goes on!

Last edited:
There's quite a few monotype Galar Pokemon that I feel deserve a secondary typing and feel incomplete without one.

Clobbopus/Grapploct: Fighting --> Fighting/Dark or Fighting/Water
Now, I don't mind having non-Water type aquatic Pokemon, but in Clobbopus's and Grapploct's cases, being mono-Fighting feels really bland. There's just something about their lore and designs that I feel demands a secondary typing, if that makes sense.

Sinistea/Poltegeist: Ghost --> Ghost/Rock
I feel like the cup and teapot parts of these Pokemon don't factor into their typing at all despite being a significant part of their design. Seeing as cups and teapots are (sometimes) made of ceramic materials, I felt the Ghost/Rock typing would be fitting.

Falinks: Fighting --> Fighting/Steel
Falinks literally has shiny metal armor on it.

Stonjourner: Rock --> Rock/Psychic or Rock/Fairy
Stonjourner's Pokedex name, entries, and ability all give it a sort of mystical and mysterious quality, yet it is just pure Rock, putting in the leagues of more mundane every-day Pokemon like Sudowoodo and Rockruff. To rectify this--and maybe expand Stonjourner's movepool a little--I'd add either the Psychic or Fairy typing.

Some other typing changes include...

Braviary: Normal/Flying --> Water/Flying
Bald eagles are what's known as sea eagles, and they live primarily near bodies of water and have even been caught swimming. I think giving Braviary the Water/Flying typing would not only be fitting, but also make it stand out a little more as well.

Pyukumuku: Water --> Water/Poison

This one is mostly because I keep forgetting that Pyukumuku is not Water/Poison, though I still think the Poison type is fitting considering the Cuvierian tubules that sea cucumbers eject when stressed contain toxic compounds.

I don't like that all the Galar starters are monotyped. Like at least make Intelleon Water/Fighting, since it's a spy and all.

Also the following:
Gyarados = Water/Flying --> Water/Dragon
Lugia = Psychic/Flying --> Water/Flying
Luxray = Electric --> Electric/Dark
Electivire = Electric --> Electric/Fighting
Runerigus = Ground/Ghost --> Rock/Ghost
Lucario = Fighting/Steel --> Fighting/Psychic (I like his current type, but I feel psychic suits the whole aura idea better)
Golduck = Water --> Water/Psychic
Lycanroc Midnight = Rock --> Rock/Dark

Last edited:
Lugia - Take out the Psychic and replace it with Water.
Golduck - Give it Psychic type (and swap it's name with Psyduck while I'm at it).
Charizard - Take out Flying and replace it with Dragon.
Golett/Golurk - Take out Ghost and put in Psychic.
Gyarados - Make it pure water. (But Mega Gyarados can be Water/Dragon).
Snubbull/Granbull - Remove the Fairy typing. (I'm aware both of them have the category of the "Fairy Pokémon but I don't see what's so fairy-like about them.)

Trapinch - Bug/Ground (because it is literally the "Ant Pit Pokémon", not to mention that the whole evolutionary line is based on the antlion, a group of insects)
Vibrava - Bug/Dragon (because its appearance greatly resembles a dragonfly or an antlion and I don't see anything "Ground" about it. It lives in the desert, so to keep that part of its lore, I have also added a possible Ability change below)
Flygon - Bug/Dragon (because it should be consistent to Vibrava and its name has part of "dragonfly" in it.)

With those type changes, change Vibrava and Flygon's Ability to Sand Veil to make up for the loss of sandstorm immunity. Sand Veil makes sense lore-wise.

Xerneas should be Fairy/Ground, to be an X-Axis contrast with Yveltal's Dark/Flying Y-Axis.
Yeah Xerneas being pure Fairy when its fellow trio members are dual-types seems so odd.

I think Xerneas being part Ground would cause conflicts with Zygarde, but I think Zygarde should be Dragon/Flying and then Yveltal should be Dark/Water instead. This is only because the z-axis, from my math experience, tends to be the “vertical” axis while the x- and y- axes are orientated “along the ground.” Like so:
1601777940926.png

Lake Guardians- Psychic/Fairy. They literally are based on Pixies and Sprites, but they aren't Fairy type? Why?

Gardevoir- Psychic. Gardevoir never really screamed Fairy to me. If anything, it feels more like a pure Psychic type. If I had to give it a secondary type, It would be Ghost. It learns a lot of Ghost types moves like Grudge and Destiny Bond, and it gives very Ghostly vibes with it expression and the way it tends to move with the dress.

Comfey/Florges- Fairy/Grass. They have flowers in their design, and Flower Veil has an ability. They scream Grass type, but aren't Grass type.

Runerigus - Ghost/Rock. Why is it even a ground type?

Samurott - Water/Fighting. Again, makes no sense.

Falinks - Fighting/Steel. It's literally wearing armor. Bug/Fighting could work too, but I see steel type more.

Tsareena - Grass/Fighting (It uses legs to fight. And I just think it would be unique for such a Feminine looking Pokémon to be a Fighting Type. No I don't count Medicham as Feminine)

Samurott - Water/Fighting (Samurott's a Samurai. Self Explanatory)

Emboar - Fire/Ground (We didn't need another Fire/Fighting Type Starter and Pigs are know for playing in Mud)

Inteleon - Water/Psychic or Water/Ghost (Either one to fit it's Spy Theme)

Rillaboom - Grass/Rock
(How the hell did they miss the opportunity to jump on this pun?)

Cinderace- Remains Unchanged (Cinderace can stay pure Fire since it has Libero)

Greninja - Pure Water (Again no need for the secondary Typing with Protean)

Blastoise - Water/Steel (Cannons)

Feraligatr - Water/Dark (Learns plenty of Dark Type moves and Dark Itself was introduced in the same Gen as Feraligatr!)

Meganium - Grass/Fairy (This isn't really a great typing but I still think it suits her)

(I wanna add Typholosion as well but I have no idea what Secondary Typing would work best for it...)

Falinks - Fighting/Steel (I think the only reason it wasn't Steel type was so that it didn't overlap with Zamazenta tbh)

Skitty/Delcatty - Normal/Fairy (I always thought this made more sense to turn into a Fairy Type than the Marill line. It even evolves with a Moon Stone like some other notable Fairy Types (Clefairy and Jigglypuff)

Comfey/Florges- Fairy/Grass (I think everyone in the tread has already explained why)

Clobbopus/Grapploct - Water/Fighting (This one just frustrates me tbh)

Flygon Line - Bug/Dragon (It's the only combo with Dragon that we don't have yet and it would get my boi out of Garchomp's shadow)

Last edited:
I would remove the Normal from all the Normal/ Flying types (eg. Pidgeot, Staraptor, Fearow), since it does not make sense. After all, the Bug types who aren't very special are not Normal/Bug, are they? And the fact that a creature can fly makes it NOT normal in my eyes. They are already special and have many ties with the wind and sky.

They should all be pure Flying types like Rookidee and Corvisquire. Now that is something I liked from the Galar early birds.

Noctowl: Psychic / Flying
Absol: pure Psychic or Fairy (not Dark)
Dunsparce: Ground
Goodra: Dragon / Water
Braviary: Fighting / Flying
Basculin: Water / Dark

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom