• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

This is my first time posting on these forums so hopefully this idea hasn't been mentioned yet.

I like the notion of a "sound" type but maybe call it something like "Sonar" or "Sonic" type to emphasize more of a focus on the transmission of sound rather than sounds themselves. This would provide some diversity to some of the vast moves found in the "Normal" type move pool (examples being Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Growl, Heal Bell, Howl, Hyper Voice, Noble Roar, Perish Song, Relic Song, Roar, Screech, Sing, Snore, Sonic Boom, Supersonic, Uproar, and Yawn) (thanks to Gudon44 for the collection of these moves).

It would make a simple secondary type for a number of already existing normal type pokemon like Audino and the Whismur trio and could even replace the normal type factor of pokemon like Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff or Clefairy/Clefable or Chimecho/Chingling.

It would be super effective against Fighting types (sound breaking focus) and would give some of those previously solely normal types an edge they have always lacked by making an opposing fighting type only inflict normal damage. It would also be super effective against Bug and Flying (many species of both IRL rely on sonar to function/move to various extents). It would be weak to Psychic (they can manipulate their frequency) as well as Ghost (as they are spiritual creatures not really reliant on the planes of this dimension). This would create an interesting dynamic too as Ghost doesn't affect Normal and provide a bit more credibility/usability/value to a move like Odor Sleuth. Steel would be unaffected and other types would cause normal damage or damage according to their various other type match-ups and such.

Some potential new moves could include more damage moves as many status/stat moves would already exist if the type change happened. This would follow along nicely the more recent additions of moves like Hyper Voice. Create more damage and status moves that attack and leave with confusion, etc. Or to give balance a move with like 150 attack that sharply boosts an opponents special defense stat (as most sonar moves would logically be special rather than physical attacks). A potential ability would be Sonic Shield that creates a frequency shield that diminishes the effectiveness of psychic and ghost attacks or a hidden ability along the lines of Scraping Sonar which allows a steel type to be hit by sonar attacks at a regular damage ratio.

Anyhow, if the idea is dumb I apologize. I think it has potential or at least more than what I've seen thus far in this thread. Any feedback would be appreciated or feel free to run with any part of this type idea.

I have to admit, I've always found the idea of a "Sound" type to be unfeasible for the simple reason that everything on the planet is capable of making sound (therefore meaning that EVERYTHING could potentially be a Sound-type), but your idea of a "Sonic" type sounds like it could work. It's more specialized, and sounds like it might have some potential. However, the point you made (Giving Normal-types a way to defend themselves against Fighting-types) isn't all that impressive. Most of the Normal-types used in competitive circuits are either part Flying or can learn how to use the move Psychic, so that front's pretty much covered. And I'd think that it would be super-effective against Steel, seeing as how high frequency vibrations can weaken metal.

In other news, Clefairy and its evolutionary line are pure Fairy-types now.

Sword type?

Good against dragon, fire, and fighting.

Half damage on steel, rock and ice.

No effect on ghost.

Weak against rock, ground, electric and flying

Sword type?

Good against dragon, fire, and fighting.

Half damage on steel, rock and ice.

No effect on ghost.

Weak against rock, ground, electric and flying

That seems like a rather redundant type in the face of Steel and Fighting types.

Dinosaur Type.

Pokémon like Aerodactyl, Rampardos, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Torterra, Meganium, Lapras among others would fit perfectly as Dinosaur types in terms of their designs.

They would be weak to Steel, due to the modern technology that the type sometimes represent with mechanical Pokémon like Metagross and Magnezone. Since Dinosaurs are an instinct race, they are there fore weak against the more modern materials.

On the other hand, they should be super-effective against Dragon, Fairy and themselves.

Oil type could be good.

Some Poision Pokemon could be reclassified, eg Grimer and Muk could be Poison/Oil types.

They would be strong against Flying (add others when people can think of reasons), weak against Fire (add others when people can think of reasons) and have no effect on Water types.

I can't think of a good new type to suggest.

What I always wanted is the Steel type to be renamed as Metal type in order to include pokemon based on metals other than Iron and its alloys.

Imagine a liquid metal pokemon based on Quicksilver, or a Titanium made pokemon (enormous Def/SpDef!!), or even an ultra-rare pokemon made of pure Gold/Platinum..! The possibilities are endless...

The Thing type. For pokemons that looks like things like Aegislash, Garbodor, Vanilite. They are weak to Fighting, Ground and Fire. Strong against Water, Ice, Electric.

Maybe a Virus type. And they're main gameplay strategy would be having their attacks drain hp and causing status disorders.

They would be super effective against Normal, Fire, Fighting, Bug, Dragon, Poison and Fairy types while being weak to Ice, Ghost, Ground and Poison types.

To all other types they would cause normal damage.

Last edited:
Sound. It was rumored by the fans to be released alongside the Fairy type last year during XY's pre-release. I'd love to have it implemented in a future Generation.

It'd be strong against Flying (Air), Water and Ground (Earth) types, symbolizing sound's ability to travel through all three substances.

It'd be weak to Rock, Steel and Ice, since all three are very hard materials and sound would have a rough time traveling through it.

Pokémon that would be retconned to Sound-type:

- Igglybuff family ---> From Normal/Fairy to Sound/Fairy
- Politoed ---> Water to Water/Sound
- Drowzee family ---> Psychic to Psychic/Sound
- Voltorb family ---> Electric to Electric/Sound

- Yanma family ---> Bug/Flying to Bug/Sound
- Dunsparce ---> Normal to Sound

- Whismur family ---> Normal to Sound
- Illumise / Volbeat ---> Bug to Bug/Sound
- Vibrava and Flygon ---> Ground/Dragon to Sound/Dragon
- Altaria ---> Flying/Dragon to Flying/Sound
- Chingling family ---> Psychic to Psychic/Sound

- Kricketot family ---> Bug to Bug/Sound
- Chatot ---> Normal/Flying to Sound/Flying

- Audino ---> Normal to Sound
- Tympole family ---> Water/Ground to Water/Sound
- Maractus ---> Grass to Grass/Sound
- Meloetta ---> Normal/Psychic (or Normal/Fighting) to Sound/Psychic (Or Sound/Fighting)

- Litleo family ---> Normal/Fire to Sound/Fire
- Noibat family ---> Flying/Dragon to Sound/Dragon

Moves to become Sound type (mostly moves affected by the Ability Soundproof, which five of my retconned Sound-types could have):

- Boomburst (previously Normal)
- Chatter (previously Flying)
- Confide (previously Normal)
- Disarming Voice (previously Fairy)
- Echoed Voice (previously Normal)
- Growl (previously Normal)
- Heal Bell (previously Normal)
- Hyper Voice (previously Normal)
- Noble Roar (previously Normal)
- Perish Song (previously Normal)
- Relic Song (previously Normal)
- Roar (previously Normal)
- Round (previously Normal)
- Screech (previously Normal)
- Sing (previously Normal)
- Snarl (previously Dark)
- Snore (previously Normal)
- Sonicboom (previously Normal)
- Supersonic (previously Normal)
- Uproar (previously Normal)

Last edited:
Venom

Not an invention, just a scientific definition that will reclassify some of the Poison type aspects.

Venom and Poison are different things. Poison has to be ingested (eaten or breathed in), whereas Venom is injected into the bloodstream.

Poison types that would become Venom (All not mentioned stay as Poison)
Ekans line
Nidoran lines
Seviper
Zubat line
Skorupi line
(Skrelp line - I don't know enough about it)
Weedle line
Venonat line
Spinarak line
Qwilfish
Dustox
Venipede line

Moves to be reclassified as Venom
Cross Poison should be Cross Venom
Poison Fang should be Venom Fang
Poison Jab should be Venom Jab
Poison Sting should be Venom Sting
Poison Tail should be Venom Tail
Toxic Spikes
Venoshock

Annoyingly, Venom Drench, the only attack that specifies Venom apart from Venoshock specifies a Poison attack move, not a venomous one.

Additionally, these attacks give the Status "Venom", rather than "Poisoned".

Alternatively, just keep the name changes I said for attacks, and just call the Poison type Toxic, especially as the Acid and Sludge attacks don't fit Poison or Venom.

Venom

Not an invention, just a scientific definition that will reclassify some of the Poison type aspects.

Venom and Poison are different things. Poison has to be ingested (eaten or breathed in), whereas Venom is injected into the bloodstream.
Semantics. Venoms are toxins, and toxins are considered a form of poison. There doesn't need to be a type division between poison and a different kind of poison.

I always hoped for Star or Cosmic or something along those lines. Frankly, I would just like to eliminate Fairy all together. I dislike the concept and implementation.

Tons of legendary or mystical Pokémon that are Psychic because it's so... I don't freaking know, why is that even the default space type? Jirachi, Deoxys, Gothita line, Ralts line, Mesprit/Uxie/Azelf, Palkia, Unown, Cresselia, and Elgyem line, would be retconned to replace Psychic with Cosmic. Maybe Cleffa line would be Fairy/Cosmic.

Retcon Meteor Mash, Wish, Moonblast, Moonlight, Cosmic Power, Lunar Dance, and Spacial Rend to Cosmic type.

Since I'm already reworking everything, let's just kill the Fairies outright and change things up:

Cosmic:
Weak to: Steel, Dark, Poison
Strong against: Dragon, Psychic, Ground
Resists: Dragon, Psychic, Ground
Resisted by: Ice, Steel, Dark, Poison

Reasons? Just balancing a little. Fighting didn't need a nerf like Fairy did to it (Psychic and Flying are already ridiculously common), Steel and Poison I do agree need buffing. Ground is a hefty SOB and let's just pretend that the cosmos kills the earth (yaaay comets). Ice just needs a damn resistance besides itself.

I also have always dreamt of a space Eeveelution, which would be gorgeous. Go ahead and kill me for wanting another.

Sound. It was rumored by the fans to be released alongside the Fairy type last year during XY's pre-release. I'd love to have it implemented in a future Generation.

It'd be strong against Flying (Air), Water and Ground (Earth) types, symbolizing sound's ability to travel through all three substances.

It'd be weak to Rock, Steel and Ice, since all three are very hard materials and sound would have a rough time traveling through it.

I hate to break it to you, but the denser the object, the more easily sound travels through it. Sound is just molecules transferring vibrations, so the closer together the molecules are, the better sound travels across them.
Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hate to break it to you, but the denser the object, the more easily sound travels through it. Sound is just molecules transferring vibrations, so the closer together the molecules are, the better sound travels across them.

Oops.
tumblr_n6ktgfFG7T1r36bj2o8_75sq.gif
Oh, well. Not every type match-up has to make sense (Ice being super-effective against Dragon) so I'll keep it as is. Aside from that, I think the type itself could be very realistic.

Oh, well. Not every type match-up has to make sense (Ice being super-effective against Dragon) so I'll keep it as is.
Actually, that makes perfect sense if you think about it. Ice is super-effective against Flying and Dragon because both have wings to fly, and if their wings froze in mid-air, they'd plummet to the earth instantly.

Oops.
tumblr_n6ktgfFG7T1r36bj2o8_75sq.gif
Oh, well. Not every type match-up has to make sense (Ice being super-effective against Dragon) so I'll keep it as is. Aside from that, I think the type itself could be very realistic.
Dragons have an aversion to cold, that's why Ice is super-effective against Dragons.

Dragons are reptilian and therefore cold-blooded creatures
Ice cools their body temperature, making their blood flow slower and causing them to suffer from severe hypothermia

That's why Ice is strong against Dragon

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom