• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

With all the types GF came up with so far, it would be pretty hard to add another original and unique type to the list. xD

.....hmm, I'd have to think about it for a while. ×_×

tumblr_n6ktgfFG7T1r36bj2o5_75sq.gif
Y'all, I didn't mean to start no controversy over the reason why Ice is super-effective against Dragon. LOL I still stand by what I think Sound type should be strong and weak against. Especially since Water is only weak to Electric types and Grass types and a Water/Ground with Sap Sipper could easily block both (IDK if one of those even exists, but if it does, then watch out...)

Y'all, I didn't mean to start no controversy over the reason why Ice is super-effective against Dragon. LOL I still stand by what I think Sound type should be strong and weak against. Especially since Water is only weak to Electric types and Grass types and a Water/Ground with Sap Sipper could easily block both (IDK if one of those even exists, but if it does, then watch out...)

Somehow, I doubt Game Freak would ever design a Water/Ground type with Sap Sipper. That'd make it too over-powered, and then people would complain about how hard it is to take down. All the hassle they went through adding the Fairy type to try and balance the type chart back out means that they know better than that.

Somehow, I doubt Game Freak would ever design a Water/Ground type with Sap Sipper. That'd make it too over-powered, and then people would complain about how hard it is to take down. All the hassle they went through adding the Fairy type to try and balance the type chart back out means that they know better than that.

Well, if they gave it to one with a low BST (like Quagsire?) it wouldn't be too over-powered. A couple of powerful attacks could easily shatter it, regardless of type advantages. But I'd still love Sound type.
tumblr_n6oliqOTGD1r36bj2o2_75sq.gif

...Not gonna lie. That nuclear type sounds pretty sweet.
I kind of want it.

Pokémon that would be retconned to Sound-type:

- Igglybuff family ---> From Normal/Fairy to Sound/Fairy
- Politoed ---> Water to Water/Sound
- Drowzee family ---> Psychic to Psychic/Sound
- Voltorb family ---> Electric to Electric/Sound

- Yanma family ---> Bug/Flying to Bug/Sound
- Dunsparce ---> Normal to Sound

- Whismur family ---> Normal to Sound
- Vibrava and Flygon ---> Ground/Dragon to Sound/Dragon
- Altaria ---> Flying/Dragon to Flying/Sound
- Chingling family ---> Psychic to Psychic/Sound

- Kricketot family ---> Bug to Bug/Sound

- Audino ---> Normal to Sound
- Tympole family ---> Water/Ground to Water/Sound
- Maractus - Grass to Grass/Sound
- Meloetta ---> Normal/Psychic (or Normal/Fighting) to Sound/Psychic (Or Sound/Fighting)

- Noibat family ---> Flying/Dragon to Sound/Dragon

You should add Chatot to this list.

- Meloetta ---> Normal/Psychic (or Normal/Fighting) to Sound/Psychic (Or Sound/Fighting)

Well, I'm a total idiot. :p I'll be adding it right now. Is there any Pokémon I missed?

Well, I'm a total idiot. :p I'll be adding it right now. Is there any Pokémon I missed?
Possibly Bronzor/Bronzong due to its gong and bell forms.
Maybe also Ludicolo because of its association with music and dance.

Thing is, in both cases I like the typings already. tbh though, Bronzong is perhaps a little redundant due to Metagross (which has exactly the same type in the same gen) existing.

idk if this has been brought i didn't read all 11 pages XD
but maybe a cat type....sounds weird i know but all of them can be more feminine except for like the male lions and stuff
but they'd be good against grass types,normal types,dark types,and fire types
but be bad against water types (duh lol) and bug types.

Hm, I've been thinking about how to further balance out the type chart, and I'm starting to become quite partial to the idea of an Alien type. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few type matchups it could bring that would be beneficial to the type chart, in particular being SE against Normal and Electric, and being weak to Poison and maybe Grass. Normal and Electric would be great for creating an alternative to overused types like Fighting and Ground, and then Poison could use an extra boost since Steel is the more popular option for taking out Fairy (due to having tons of resistances).

Here's a couple of Pokemon I could see getting Alien type:

-New Eeveelution- Alien
-Cleffa/Clefariy/Clefable- Fairy/Alien
-Deoxys- Psychic/Alien
-Elgyem/Beheeyem- Psychic/Alien
-Mega Porygon-Z- Normal/Alien

After that, the only type problems left to fix are Ice's lack of resistances and that Dark and Ghost have the same type advantages. The former they can just retcon the type chart to give Ice resistances to types like Ground and Dragon, but the latter is a trickier fix, because we need two separate types to fix that problem, one which is weak to Ghost and not Dark and one which is weak to Dark and not Ghost. And I have no idea what types could fit the bill (or if Alien type could work as one of them).

Last edited:

Eelektross has no weaknesses but he isn't OP. That is because it is very slow and open for attacks that can do big damage.

OOOO Design exercise!! I love these. ^_^ Therefore, time for stream-of-consciousness designing!

So, instead of just naming a Type and going from there, I'm actually going to start with the Type's attributes, and then name it based on the result.

Okay! Looking at the Type Chart, there's a Type (Steel) that's devoted almost entirely to Type-Resistance, having the most amount of resistances of any other Type (11, one of them being an immunity). In terms of offense, Fighting and Ground both have the most amount of Offense-Effectiveness, being effective against 5 types.

What I'll create is a Type that is devoted to Offense in a similar vein to Steel's devotion to Defense, with Effectiveness against at least... ooo, 9 other Types, so half of all Types. To counter this, it will be weak to at least 5 Types, and will not affect at least one Type. This Type will also act as a foil to Steel, and so will be effective against it.

Before determining more Types to be effective against, as well as Types that resist it, I actually want to determine the Statistical Averages for this Type, both Overall and Fully Evolved. The two Types with the highest averages in Attack are Fighting and Dragon. Dragon beats out Fighting in all these areas. In terms of Special Attack, Fire is almost on even ground with Dragon. I couldn't find any Type that has high Attack and Special Attack with comparable numbers, so the two primary Abilities with involve both. The strong emphasis on Offense, however, will be countered by fairly low Defense and Special Defense, with average HP and Speed.

So the averages, rounded:

Overall
HP 70
ATT 101
DEF 52
SpA 98
SpD 56
SPD 75
Total 452

Fully Evolved
HP 80
ATT 120
DEF 59
SpA 118
SpD 62
SPD 86
Total 525

Okay. So, now that we've got the average Abilities, let's get the other Types it will be effective against. I'm going to make it effective against Electric, because Ground is currently the only Type that is. I'll also add Ghost, to give that Type another weakness. As a foil to keep Ghost special, however, I'll also make this Type weak against Ghost, so there's a double-weakness. I'll make it effective against Water, as well, but it will be weak to Grass. This covers the Starter Types. To give Bugs more viability, I'll make Bug immune to this Type, and effective against it. I will make it effective against Psychic and Fighting, to give both those Types something to be afraid of. Now, despite being good against Steel, I will make this Type weak to Rock, since too many things are already good against Rock. Now for the Revolutionary Thing: I will make this Type weak against Normal, making it the first Type that Normal is effective against. However, Normal is not resistant to this new Type. Now, I will also make this Type strong against Poison and Fairy. Finally, this Type is strong against Ice, but also weak to it defensively.

Hmm... actually, come to think of it, Steel may be resistant to a lot of Types, but it's generally not likewise effective against those Types. So, I'll actually remove some of the resistances from this Type to make it somewhat more dangerous to use it, as a counter to its high-effective ratio.

I'll remove... Fighting, Psychic, Electric, Poison, and Fairy, making it only resistant to Steel and Water.

So, the Battle Properties are as follows:

Offensive:
2x -Steel; Electric; Ghost; Water; Psychic; Fighting; Poison; Fairy; Ice
1/2x - Grass; Rock
0x - Bug

Defensive:
1/2x - Steel; Water
2x - Ghost; Grass; Bug; Rock; Normal; Ice
0x - None

Finally, a Type property: this Type is immune to Sleep.

Okay, so here's the Type I've designed, with the only thing left to determine being a name. Unfortunately, I don't actually have time right now to come up with one, so instead, I'll leave this here and come back later to determine a name, and maybe a few included Pokemon.

I'd like to see a Data type. Gives Porygon a long-overdue retyping, and opens the world to a lot more possibilities. I mean, Once you've created one pokemon out of code, why not make more? Much how Phione can only be acquired by breeding Manaphy, a new pokemon could be introduced as a Data/Bug type by breeding Genesect. It could be Immune to Psychic and Poison types (no animal biology/brain), Strong against Fairy and Dark, and weak against Rock, and Grass.

It could also lead to some pretty neat digital world exploration, kind of like the episode of Futurama where they virtually went ON the internet? Maybe in a future generation there could be a Sim-Chamber that allows your character to project a digital avatar of themselves into a virtual world, where you could set up shops like Join Avenue, and catch Data-type pokemon in a safari zone? It would be the exclusive place to catch Data types which would be used by a lot of Scientists, as well as exclusively by a new "Gamer" class of trainer. Eevee could have an evolution into something ridiculous (RAMeon? USBeevee? I suck at naming things) when leveled with happiness in the online world.

Well, theres my thought.

I'd like to see a Data type. Gives Porygon a long-overdue retyping, and opens the world to a lot more possibilities. I mean, Once you've created one pokemon out of code, why not make more? Much how Phione can only be acquired by breeding Manaphy, a new pokemon could be introduced as a Data/Bug type by breeding Genesect. It could be Immune to Psychic and Poison types (no animal biology/brain), Strong against Fairy and Dark, and weak against Rock, and Grass.

It could also lead to some pretty neat digital world exploration, kind of like the episode of Futurama where they virtually went ON the internet? Maybe in a future generation there could be a Sim-Chamber that allows your character to project a digital avatar of themselves into a virtual world, where you could set up shops like Join Avenue, and catch Data-type pokemon in a safari zone? It would be the exclusive place to catch Data types which would be used by a lot of Scientists, as well as exclusively by a new "Gamer" class of trainer. Eevee could have an evolution into something ridiculous (RAMeon? USBeevee? I suck at naming things) when leveled with happiness in the online world.

Well, theres my thought.

Interesting. I agree Porygon could use a retyping overhaul.

The Type I had created would kind of fit the "digital" theme a little bit as well, given a bit of tweaking. I shan't steal the Type name you created, however. ^_^ But seeing as we've got Types for general elements, I think there can be different "digital-esque" Types as well.

If I switch around some of the Type-effectiveness, to provide a severe weakness to Water, mine could be a sort of "Hardware" Type(possible Type names being "Chip" or "Silicon"), while your Data Type could be the "Software", and both Types work together. Such that, say, in a Double Battle, if both active Pokemon are these Types, both get stat boosts, or something. I don't think there's a Type relationship like that, yet.

Primal Type - Weak against Steel, Electric and Rock (modern times and fossilization), resistant to Fighting and Water, super effective against Psychic and Dragon

Pokemon that would become Primal type:

Mew - Psychic/Primal

Fossil Pokemon - Primal would replace Rock

Relicanth - Water/Primal

Lapras - Water/Primal

Base on Japanese elements Earth, Water, Fire Wind and Sky, I agree that each of those represent each Pokemon type, except for Sky.

Maybe a Sky type can be a good typing representing the Pokemon that has no wings but can float. Jumpluff evolution line(Grass/Sky type), Altaria evolution line(Sky/Dragon type), etc.

Retained its weakness to Rock type, gain weakness to Fire(because hot air goes up) type, but gain resistance to Flying type and loses weakness to Electric and Ice type and retain immunity to ground type.

Also, I am agree with technology-related type Pokemon but it should gain immunity to Electric type and/or Fire type because nowadays, most of our technology is being run by different type of power which are related to fire(solar power) and electric.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom