• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

I'm not a huge fan of Light type as I don't think it's necessary. Solar Beam works under Grass, Sunny Day is fine as Fire and any 'Holy' attacks would probably fall under the realm of Ghost, as counter-intuitive as it sounds. Unless a particular religion is intended to be invoked, which I would personally think unadvisable, those sorts of attacks fall under 'supernatural', and thus Ghost. Or Fire. Or Water, if you really want a 'holy water' attack.

Sound I don't think is necessary either. Certainly there are a variety of sound-related pokemon, moves and abilities, but I don't see a need for it as a type. Normal covers it pretty well. Retroactively typing all those to 'Sound' would complicate matters and not really fill any gaps. I think that the distinction between 'ground' and 'steel' was significant enough to introduce that divide, and certainly in oriental philosophy. Dark I think was a wonderful introduction, and I love it to bits.

If I was going to introduce a new type, it would probably be 'Cyclopean', for all you Lovecraftian folks out there. You've gotta love Cyclopean. And no, not just for pokemon with one eye...

I'm not a huge fan of Light type as I don't think it's necessary. Solar Beam works under Grass, Sunny Day is fine as Fire and any 'Holy' attacks would probably fall under the realm of Ghost, as counter-intuitive as it sounds. Unless a particular religion is intended to be invoked, which I would personally think unadvisable, those sorts of attacks fall under 'supernatural', and thus Ghost. Or Fire. Or Water, if you really want a 'holy water' attack.

Sound I don't think is necessary either. Certainly there are a variety of sound-related pokemon, moves and abilities, but I don't see a need for it as a type. Normal covers it pretty well. Retroactively typing all those to 'Sound' would complicate matters and not really fill any gaps. I think that the distinction between 'ground' and 'steel' was significant enough to introduce that divide, and certainly in oriental philosophy. Dark I think was a wonderful introduction, and I love it to bits.

If I was going to introduce a new type, it would probably be 'Cyclopean', for all you Lovecraftian folks out there. You've gotta love Cyclopean. And no, not just for pokemon with one eye...

I was going to post "light" here too if it wasn't for your post :1
you ended my joy with an awesome argument

I made two new types the other day and updated the type chart. I was bored :/

typechart.jpg

Light immune to Ice? Is there any reasoning behind this?
In my opinion if you're gonna make a new type it should really be something that evens out the playing field a little. Strong against the dominate types and weak against the disadvantaged.
So defensively - Steel x0.5, Fighting x0.5, Rock x0.5, Normal x2, Grass x2, Poison x2, Psychic x2.
And offensively - Steel x2, Fighting x2, Rock x2, Ice x2, Poison x0.5, Grass x0.5, Normal x0.5.
Can't really think of a name but that's what I'd imagine it should be like, The type can resist heavy power and weight but cannot fend of attacks on a smaller scale. So basically large and cumbersome monsters.

Light-type
Offensive:
Dark x2
Fighting x2
Psychic x2
Light x2
Bug x0.5
Grass x0.5

Defensive:
Bug x2
Dark x2
Light x2
Grass x2
Normal x0.5

Sound-type
Offensive:
Glass x2
Rock x2

Defensive:
Steel x2

Glass-type:
Offensive:
Ghost X2
Grass x2
Flying x2
Steel x0.5
Rock x0.5
Ice x0.5

Defensive:
Sound x2
Rock x2
Steel x2
Fighting x2
Fire x0

All-Type and Light Type, but in this case they would be connected.

I came up with this back when Pokemon 1st came out.

All-Type = "Pokemon with every strength and weakness of the 17 original types combined and can use every attack ever invented"
The 'use every attack' feature would only work in the Anime most likely.

Strengths - Everything except Light.
Weaknesses - Light-Type pokemon and attacks.

Light-Type - "The only pokemon to rule over the All-Type Pokemon, Arceus would switch, Celebi, Milotic, Mew, just to name a few. Only 1 the new attacks 'Light Beam' would be learned by non-Light Types. The complete opposite of Dark."

Strengths - Dark and All-Type Pokemon
Weaknesses - Dark pokemon
No-Effect - Electric Pokemon

Electric types would have zero effect on Light Pokemon as well.

Plasma-type or something.

we might aswell add an Rocket, an Magma, an Aqua, and a Galactic
XD! just kidding

i'm fine with our current 17 but it needs grass-helping tweaks here and there.

Quantum-Strong against Dragon, Psychic, Dark and Ghost types.
Weak to Electric and Steel types
DNE Water type Pokemon.
Immune to Normal-Type Moves
Moves-Warp Dance- Inflicts all adjacent Pokemon with a different status condition for each, regardless of type, items or ability.
Quantum Beam- 150 damage, 50% accuracy, inflicts a random status condition regardless of type, ability, or items' effects.

I'm going to be unoriginal and go with the Light-type.

Weak against: Grass and Ghost
Strong against: Water, Dark, and Fighting

I'm probably going to tweak this later on, though.

I wouldn't. I think there are enough types as is, and if they start going any more specific, we'll have types for just about every little thing. Things like "light" and "plasma" could easily go into species or just Pokedex entries, or be incorporated into abilities, imo.

I prefer the Light type too, but I'm totally fine with these 17 we already have.

I think there should be a Wind-type.
Strengths: Fire, Flying, and Psychic-types
Weaknesses: Rock, Ground, and Steel-types
Resistances: Water-types

Cheese type. Immune to all types, super effective against all types. Maybe a Plasma?

The Energy Type.

Has neutral resistance and effectivity against all other types. It can also hit pokemon with the Wonder Guard ability.

Existing Pokemon with the Energy Type
Arcanine: Fire/Energy
Ditto: Energy
Unown: Energy
Arceus: Energy (Without Plates)

New Pokemon with the Energy Type
Three-stage Pseudolegendary Species
Legendary Pokemon Duo

Prexisting Moves with the Energy Type
Return
Metronome
Transform
Disable
Hyper Beam
Protect
Energy Ball

New Moves with the Energy Type
Energy Dance(Raises Attack and Special Attack)
Energy Rush (Power: 75, Accuracy 100)
Purify (Power: 175, Accuracy 50)
Energy Bullet (Power: 45, Accuracy 100)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom