• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

I'm fine with the types we currently have... although a Light type would be nice. And merge Rock and Ground into a single type -- Earth.

Light would be strong against Dark (brightens the darkness) and Ghost (ghosts don't like the light), and weak to Earth and Grass (both can eclipse / dim the light).
Any sort of healing move would be reclassified as Light, along with light-based moves such as SolarBeam and Sunny Day. Some Psychic types (for example, Espeon) and some Normal types (Chansey) would become Light-type or part Light-type.
Also, Pokémon who live in the darkness (like Zubat) would be reclassified as Dark-type, or at least part Dark-type.

Earth-type would be immune to Electric and weak to Grass and Water (not sure about the other details... but like a combination of Rock and Ground)

Light

immune to dark
weak to psychic
resistant to ghost

powerful against steel and ghost
immune against dark(both ways)
resistant against psychic

Mareep family should get it as second type,Lanturn should have it but Water/Electric Pokemon is still needed
Clefairy and Jigglypuff families completely change to Light (bye-bye Normal...)

How about the Time and Prehistoric Type? Time, Dragon, and Psychic beat the Prehistoric, and Prehistoric defeats Normal and Dark.

I have to agree with Data_Error on this one. I honestly can't see "light" being a basic element like grass or fire, and I find it too cliche for the concept/species types like ghost and psychic. I think it gets a little too close to the whole "holiness" thing and I don't think that's what pokemon is all about. In fact, could't we say that Psychic could be the "light" type?

Also, even though wood and air are not types of pokemon doesn't mean that they're not added into the game somehow. Woodhammer for example, obviously deals with wood, regardless of it being a grass move. Just because the type is called "grass" doesn't mean it only deals with what in our front lawn. It pretty much deals with foliage and the like.

Same with air. Air doesn't do much of anything on it own, that's where the flying comes in. And flying type (in pokemon) basically means anything to due with air, like Airslash, Aircutter, Aeroblast, and Hurricane.

Instead of seeing brand new types, I'd rather see new type combinations like Fire/Water or Normal/ Ghost.

Maybe be like a mind type. It would be pokemon that were smart andd be strong against psychic and normal, but weak to fighting and electric.

Maybe be like a mind type. It would be pokemon that were smart andd be strong against psychic and normal, but weak to fighting and electric.

Call me crazy, but I don't see how this is any different from Psychic.

Anyway, I reckon that sound/sonic type is probably the most authentic-sounding type, and doesn't try to stretch the boundaries too much.

It would have to be a type that maybe helps out the types a bit. Currently, Ice Pokemon are just unlucky in all respects and Fighting is graced.

I'm just one of us people who like the idea of Light Type.
But it would work like this:

x2 Offense
Dark
Ghost
Steel
Water
x1/2 Offense
Light
Rock
Ground
Fire

Is Weak to
Dark
Ghost

Resists
Ice
Water

I don't know why...

...Space Type.

Super effective against:
Normal
Dragon
Flying
Ground

Weak to:
Rock
Fighting
Steel

Resists:
Dark
Psychic
Ghost

I have reasons for all of these but I'm lazy.
If anyone cares I'll elaborate, OTL

Light type has obviously been brought up too many times, so I'll leave my opinions about how I'd like it to be in the games at that, but another type that'd be cool is Wind type. We need something to differentiate birds/dragons/etc. from other Flying Pokemon, and it'd have type matchups that set it apart from Flying, like:

Wind-type attacks hit Fire, Water, and Steel for half damage.
Attacks hit Electric, Ground, Fighting, Grass for double damage.

Ground hits Wind for no damage.
Rock, Steel, Fighting, Grass, and Electric hit Wind for half damage.
Fire, Water, Ice, and Poison hit for double damage.

Light type has obviously been brought up too many times, so I'll leave my opinions about how I'd like it to be in the games at that, but another type that'd be cool is Wind type. We need something to differentiate birds/dragons/etc. from other Flying Pokemon, and it'd have type matchups that set it apart from Flying, like:

Wind-type attacks hit Fire, Water, and Steel for half damage.
Attacks hit Electric, Ground, Fighting, Grass for double damage.

Ground hits Wind for no damage.
Rock, Steel, Fighting, Grass, and Electric hit Wind for half damage.
Fire, Water, Ice, and Poison hit for double damage.

There are no ways to seperate Air and Flying as Flying has a lot of Air Based moves (Air-Cutter, Air Slash, Hurricane ect...) Plus we have Tornados who is a Pure Flying type and based on Fujin the Japanese God of Wind... so...

sand type would be strong aganst rock, steel, grass and bug. what would be strong aganst it is water, fire, and ice. a couple sand type pokemon would be sandshrew, sandslash, and dusclops*. in the future in ideas for new pokemon i will post other sand type pokemon.
* these are old pokemon but they have type adjustments.

Um.. Sand is really really pointless I mean Rock and Ground are redundant enough as it is but Sand like Wind and Light is very redundant

I always wanted a space type

Oh goodie I thought I was the only one xD, also, I'd like to say that I wouldn't like a Light-Type, Most people say ''since there is a Dark-Type, why no Light?'' however, it should be noted that in the japanese version, it's actually called Evil-Type, not because they draw power from the pits of hell, but because they're using underhanded tactics to win, like ganging up on the enemy, biting it and taunting them, for example, even ones that are less obvious, like Dark Pulse, don't just draw, energy from the darkness, it just shoves dark thoughts and nightmares into its foes.

Last edited:
sand type would be strong aganst rock, steel, grass and bug. what would be strong aganst it is water, fire, and ice. a couple sand type pokemon would be sandshrew, sandslash, and dusclops*. in the future in ideas for new pokemon i will post other sand type pokemon.
* these are old pokemon but they have type adjustments.

Sand=Ground or perhaps Rock. Sorry, but we don't need duplicate types.

I think Sound should be a type. Pokemon like the Whismur line, Bronzong, The Jigglypuff line, Chingeling/Chimecho, and Zubat should have the Sound Type. Then there's some Bug Pokemon like Kricketune and Volbeat/Illumise who also should be sound type. Voltorb and Electrode would become dual type Electric and Sound. Technology should also be a type to accommodate Pokemon like the Porygon line.

For me, a Divinity Type.

I mean it. A type that based off celestial and/or holy beings, utilizing the heavenly power on their moves. If Divinity sounds too sacred to be a type, then name it Deity, Holy, Celestial, whatever it sounds right.

Most of the high-ranked Legendary Pokemon such as Arceus, Dialga, Palkia deserves it. Not all Legendary Pokemon will necessarily have this type, and not all the Divinity Pokemon will be Legendary Pokemon. If need, GF can create other new Pokemon that fit this type as well. One can have an ordinary wild Pokemon based off low-rank angel, but yet it can still have the Divinity type.

If Fairy type that doesn't contain any sort of fairy-like characteristic from any culture had been introduced, why not this?

I don't think the game needs any more types, but from the ones commonly suggested I do like the idea of Digital and Space types.

Though if I had to come up with one, I'd probably go with the Ancient type. Thematically, the ancient type would encompass allegedly man-made Pokemon created in antiquity such as Sigilyph, Claydol and Golurk, who don't really sit all that well with their secondary Psychic and Ghost types, and rather have some kind of undefined source of energy that makes them work. Pokemon that are also based on ancient objects or people of cultural, religious or folkloric significance like Probopass, Unown, Cofagrigus and Bronzong would also be included. Finally, the other quality of Ancient types is abilities and characteristics that relate to longevity, stasis and time manipulation, such as Ninetales, Celebi and Mew. Living fossils like Relicanth (and fossil Pokemon that lack a secondary type, like Rampardos) would also be included. Naturally, all four of the Regis would be part Ancient type, as would Xerneas.

The Ancient type's moves and abilities would likely be geared toward stalling, healing and damage reduction.

From what I read here, Space-type sounds good. We've got plenty of pokemon from outer space that would fit the theme - Deoxys, Jirachi, Solrock, Lunatone, Clefairy (yet another retyping to Fairy/Space? lol)...

There needs to be a type which is weak against normal type. Normal sucks because there are types that are resistant and even immune but not weak against it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom