• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Adding new types creates more baggage in the type chart, and it gets exponentially harder to maintain game balance as you keep introducing new types.

I agree maintaining balance is important, but it isn't necessarily the mere addition of new types that makes or breaks the metagame and triple battles are far worse concerning this issue. There are other factors that affect the metagame such as abilities, stats, movesets, items or what not. New types could lead to more interesting ideas for pokemon, stories, legends, moves and such. Pokemon isn't just there for the metagame.

If you like, I'll work on a type chart, some tweaks included, to see if balance can still be maintained even with the addition of these types, but if that doesn't work out, then I might scrap one or a few of these fake types.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Zombie, Plastic and maybe Cloth, Speed and Nuclear could have potential to be their own types. Sorry!:sweatlol:

Well considering that I am a fan of Pokemon Factory, I'm going to go with the Light, Magic, and Wind types that have all ready been said.

Yeah.

Air. It would be weak to Flying and Ground. It would resist Electric and Fire since you use air to make electricity, and it can put out small fires. It would be super effective against Grass and Fire, because strong winds knock down trees.

I don't advocate the existence of new types, but I think the most plausible concept would be a type that hasn't been discovered because only Pokemon from outer-space that haven't arrived in the Pokemon world have it. I'd call it Cosmic type. I remember having a Resistance/Not very effective/Powerful sheet thought up, too. I suppose Rigrey and Oobeam would become Psychic/Cosmic, if this became a reality. I was actually a big fan of the Light type concept as a child, though. But hey, it's obvious it's just not going to happen. It'll grind my Gear for eternity though, because even Steel, a more defensive typing than Poison, is good against more types of Pokemon. Ice and Rock, while Poison only gets Grass.

Light. It'd only make sense since we already have a dark type.

Cosmic would be cool... though then moves like Cosmic Power and Meteor Mash would need to be changed. xP

Just about everything being thought up here is kinda ridiculous and DOES fit into some category by the logic that is logic!

Sound would be interesting but overall probably very weak but it would split up the Normal category up quite a bit! And the Light type has been tossed around a whole lot and as much as I don't like it, it actually would make sense.

However if you make a Psychic/Dark...you could definitely argue that to be pretty holy. I mean the only difference between Evil and Holy is on is organized more than the other. Give something Evil a little logic and there ya go....ya got an angel. (but for some reason a bug would murder it.... :\

The Magic type. Takes and deals double damage to Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dragon and Dark. Takes and deals half damage to everything else.

A light type does sound good to me, especially for the balance of the typing chart. I'd like to see some trio that would work for starters other than fire/water/grass, like psychic/dark/light. (although I suppose psychic/fighting/dark kinda already has that)

I also like the idea of a Wind type. It's the one type that doesn't really... exist? Like, we made rock even though we had ground, AND grass even though we had ground, it makes complete sense to make a wind even though we have Flying. It was originally Bird type anyway.

Not really sure there's anything else that isn't sufficiently covered by another type.

Although I don't like any new type that might change typing of pokemon/moves already in existance.

This is pretty much a Light-type fanclub thread. :disgust:

If I HAD to invent a new type (I'm usually against new types), it would be Alien/Extraterrestrial/Cosmic (like Ground Control said).

My comments in bold.

Grass is a misomer... Plant would have been a better name

Flying... The Raijin Trio would like to have a word with you... Tornelos expesually is insulted being based on Fujin the Japanese god of the wind but is the only pure flying type so basically Flying=Wind

Acid... Uh Acid is a poison type move so... yeah

Light and Virtual are far to simmaler to Digimon so no.

Dark types aren't 'Darkness' The are 'Bad-guy's' They are knwon to fight dirty (Bite/Crunch/Suker-Punch ect...) SO they are balenced by Fighting type (Good-Guy's) who fight honerably and Psychic is techically it's moral oppisate.

Fossils are Rocks and so are Crystals and Gems they are 'Precious Stones' all crystal like pokemon would fall under Rock and all Fossil tyeps are Rock and almost all are dual type so they aren't going to change their types...

Time/Sound Space are the only good ones the rest oare other really stupid (Light/Food/Heart) or are already there (Fossil/Wood/Magic/Crystal)

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but shouldn't there be a Paper type.
I mean we can say its super effective against Fire,water and flying types but immune against all the other types? This is crazy but just think, paper covers rock and steel can mend paper and mental illusions can't be done without paper.
Yes this would mean that Shedinja would be useless against this type but the thing is only one pokemon has this type and that pokemon can't learn any moves but only sacrificing moves like explosion or healing wish etc.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but shouldn't there be a Paper type.
I mean we can say its super effective against Fire,water and flying types but immune against all the other types? This is crazy but just think, paper covers rock and steel can mend paper and mental illusions can't be done without paper.
Yes this would mean that Shedinja would be useless against this type but the thing is only one pokemon has this type and that pokemon can't learn any moves but only sacrificing moves like explosion or healing wish etc.

As long as Paper beats Rock and is weak to Steel, I accept.

I would possibly create a Reptile type, to balance out with the AVian type. (Flying)

Possibly RAD(ioactive) type. That would be interestin.

space/cosmic, light, and sound are so far the only good ideas imo. Another could be a disease-type. nearly all attacks would have lingering effects. it could be effective vs grass and normal, ineffective vs ghost and steel, and weak to fire
i think it's a good idea (if a bit of a tragic concept), and any additions are welcome

I'd say the wind type, but flying kinda takes care of that, albeit awkwardly.

I think it's be cool to have a legendary quartet of fire, water, ground, and wind Pokemon to represent the classical elements.

I'd say the wind type, but flying kinda takes care of that, albeit awkwardly.

I think it's be cool to have a legendary quartet of fire, water, ground, and wind Pokemon to represent the classical elements.

Well Techically you can still have that lik you said Flying covers air So it Would be Fire/Water/Ground/Flying in pokemon

We don't need Light as Dark isn't 'Darkness'

Mystic type. It would be strong against everything but Steel and Dragon, which are strong against it, and weak against everything exept Steel and Dragon, which it strong against.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom