• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

Really not a fan of adding new types (tends to be related to the "stuff getting second types must make them better" philosophy), but I notice Pokémon lacks natural (i.e. not artificial) humanoid Pokémon over 8' or 9'. Giant-type would an intriguing addition with no need for retcons en masse. Interactions with other types would ideally be based on gameplay needs - possibly weak to Normal, resistant to Fighting, or something.

Type: Twilight
Offensive:
2x Power: Fairy, Dragon, Psychic, Normal

1/2x Power: Grass, Water, Ice, Ghost, Dark

Defensive:
2x Power: Fighting, Bug

1/2x Power: Grass, Water, Ice, Ghost, Dark

0x Power: Fairy, Dragon

Last edited:
For me, a Divinity Type.

I mean it. A type that based off celestial and/or holy beings, utilizing the heavenly power on their moves. If Divinity sounds too sacred to be a type, then name it Deity, Holy, Celestial, whatever it sounds right.

Most of the high-ranked Legendary Pokemon such as Arceus, Dialga, Palkia deserves it. Not all Legendary Pokemon will necessarily have this type, and not all the Divinity Pokemon will be Legendary Pokemon. If need, GF can create other new Pokemon that fit this type as well. One can have an ordinary wild Pokemon based off low-rank angel, but yet it can still have the Divinity type.

I'm sorry, but I doubt GAMEFREAK will do real-world religion.

If Fairy type that doesn't contain any sort of fairy-like characteristic from any culture had been introduced, why not this?

Just because they made some mistakes in the past doesn't mean they should do it again.

Type: *Twilight
Offensive:
2x: *Fairy, Dragon, Psychic, Normal

1/2x: *Grass, Water, Ice, Ghost, Dark

Defensive:
2x: *Fighting, Bug

0x: *Fairy, Dragon

That already exists, it's called the dark type. And we don't need to make fairy any more overpowered than it already is.

For me, anyway, a Nuclear/Radioactive type would be awesome. Imagine all the moves... Gamma Ray, Ionize, Uranium Shot, Alpha Particles, Plutonium Blast…

Cosmic-type (Outer Space, Extra-terrestrial)
Super Effective to (2x): Psychic, Normal, Flying, Fairy & Rock
Is not Effective to (0.5x): Dragon & Poison

Is weak to (2x): Fighting, Poison & Ghost
Resistant to (0.5x): Fairy, Psychic, Electric & Fire

Some Pokemons to retyped:
Clefairy & Clefable - Fairy/Cosmic
Deoxys - Cosmic
Jirachi - Cosmic/Steel
Rayquaza - Dragon/Cosmic
Solrock & Lunatone - Rock/Cosmic
Elgyem & Beheeyem - Cosmic/Psychic

Offensive:

Defensive:

That already exists, it's called the dark type. And we don't need to make fairy any more overpowered than it already is.

Um, The Twilight Type that I designed is immune (0x) to and does double (2x) damage to the Fairy-Type plus Twilight Type receives neutral (1x) damage to Psychic Type. Currently, Dark Type doesn't deal 2x damage to Dragon- and Normal-Type nor does Dark Type deals half (1/2) damage to Grass, Water, Ice, or Ghost Type or receive 1/2 damage from Grass, Water, and Ice-Type

Offensive:

Defensive:

Um, The Twilight Type that I designed is immune (0x) to and does double (2x) damage to the Fairy-Type plus Twilight Type receives neutral (1x) damage to Psychic Type. Currently, Dark Type doesn't deal 2x damage to Dragon- and Normal-Type nor does Dark Type deals half (1/2) damage to Grass, Water, Ice, or Ghost Type or receive 1/2 damage from Grass, Water, and Ice-Type

It's not about the typechart. It's about the fact that twilight is covered by dark (unless you are talking about the movies, which would be a terrible idea for a new type).

Deoxys - Cosmic
Jirachi - Cosmic/Steel
Rayquaza - Dragon/Cosmic

A. That type would be overpowered and would totally throw the typechart out of whack.
B. What would define a cosmic-type Pokémon? Something extraterrestrial wouldn't cut it. There are many types of theoretical extraterrestrials that are very different, and they all can't fit into the same type.
C. The typechart changes make no sense.

There needs to be a type which is weak against normal type. Normal sucks because there are types that are resistant and even immune but not weak against it.

The fact that normal isn't strong against anything is the reason moves such as Hyper Beam and Giga Impact exist. Normal type Pokémon get STAB for moves like these and that balances things out.

Last edited:
Offensive:

Defensive:

It's not about the typechart. It's about the fact that twilight is covered by dark (unless you are talking about the movies, which would be a terrible idea for a new type).

I didn't name Twilight-Type because of the movies, I named Twilight-Type after the transition of day to night and night to day which includes dawn and dusk

edit:
I think I understand what you mean by "twilight is covered by dark," I made twilight-type do 1/2x damage and take 1/2 damage from dark because of the same reason that I mentioned in this same post

Last edited:
I don't know if it has been suggested, but maybe a Machine type?

There are some already existing pokemon that would fit here (like the Magnemite evolution line, Klink evolution line, various pokemon based on the golem myth [Golett, Golurk, all the Regis, etc]). Some of them are already double types, though.

It could be immune to Psychic attacks, and it would make sense to be immune to Ghost as well, and weak to Water and Electric, for example.

My type: Vampire (not the Twilight Vampires).

Offense
2x - Fairy, Dark.
1/2x - Grass, Steel, Vampire
0x - None

Defense
2x - Grass (because Garlic), Poison
1/2x - Fairy, Dragon, Vampire
0x - Dark.

For balancing purposes I didn't make Fire have an advantage over Vampire.

I would put my bets on "Sonic" type which groups up a lot of the sonic based Pokemon like...
Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Chimecho, Chatot, Cricketune, Audino and any others I probably missed.

Pretty much all sound based moves which are currently normal type for the most part could be re categorized as sonic. Moves such as...
Sing, Sonic boom, Round, Screech, Hyper voice, Heal bell, Metal sound, Growl, Roar, Grass whistle, Uproar, Snore, Supersonic, Boomburst, Perish song and many others.

I'm not sure what it would be super effective against, but it would probably be at a disadvantage to pokemon with soundproof ability.

I'm developing a Pokemon region where the new types are Light and Sound.

Light (relating to both illumination and also happiness/joy)
Weak to: Dark, Fire, Steel, Fairy
Strong against: Ground, Rock, Ghost, Dragon
Some of the Pokemon Changed: Blissey (Normal/Light), Volbeat and Illumise (Both Bug/Light), Cherrim (Grass/Light), Cresselia (Psychic/Light), Volcarona (Bug/Light)

Sound (relating to noises)
Weak to: Water, Ground, Dark
Strong against: Psychic, Fairy, Fighting, Normal
Some of the Pokemon Changed: Snorlax (Normal/Sound), Bronzong (Sound/Steel), Noivern (Sound/Dragon), Seismitoad (Water/Sound), Chatot (Sound/Flying)

I don't know if it has been suggested, but maybe a Machine type?

There are some already existing pokemon that would fit here (like the Magnemite evolution line, Klink evolution line, various pokemon based on the golem myth [Golett, Golurk, all the Regis, etc]). Some of them are already double types, though.

It could be immune to Psychic attacks, and it would make sense to be immune to Ghost as well, and weak to Water and Electric, for example.

The Steel type covers machines.

Hmm. All I can think of would be a weather type. It would put weather moves like hail into a special catagory, but they would keep their type effectiveness and stuff.

like mentioned just before, First next type should be "Sonic" then maybe Cosmic/Alien type [probably would be the smallest in #]. After those I could see Bird/Flying/Air-Wind being separated into two types. probably flying or bird and air[for more elemental types.] this would be similar to how most water types can do ice attacks easily, but not all ice types get water attacks. flying is the larger more encompassing of the two, wind/air is more specific.

here's my list with less words, i'm sure i dont need to list who would be retyped or gain a second type. and it's not like they do the best anyway, so many fairy retype opportunities missed. and they gave us Marill. ugh lol

SONIC
COSMIC
FLYING[things that fly] and WIND-AIR[elemental] split
SYNTHETIC

and maaaaybe an Ancient/Time type. for legendaries or fossils, but that's a lot less likely to happen.

also i think legendaries, even though they cant breed, should be put in an egg group. but that doesnt make sense i knowww, but it gives them more context ^_^ anyway i guess thats a different thread.

CHEESE!!! (just kidding)
*NB long essay post incoming (and this is just my opinion)!
There are two points to this question that need to be addressed seperately.

Firstly, the current type anomolies and tweaks that might be applied:
Fire, Water, Ice, Poison, Electric, Psychic, Bug, Ghost & Fairy are (mostly) fine as they are.

.Normal is the 'neutral' type therefore not being super-effective to any other type makes sense, but is really unbalanced. Maybe it could be super-effective against itself (like ghost and dragon) as illustrated in XD's purification chamber.
.Flying is really just a generic name for 'bird' and would be better suited to being called 'air' or 'aerial', since there's no real need to seperate the two thoughts.
.Fighting would probably be more accurately described as 'martial', since all pokemon battles involve fighting.
.Grass again just needs a more accurate name like 'plant'. And although technically not in real-world terms, fungi like Shroomish and Foongus really don't need a seperate category. (It could be possible to lump bug in with grass, since most bugs live in foliage and the two types share some weaknesses and resistances, but i don't advocate that, even with the TCG influence.)
.Ground and Rock share similar weaknesses, a weather condition and both come from the Earth, so it's easy to see how they could be grouped into an 'earth' -type, but having both adds more diversity and specific themes. Ground is of the earth itself while Rock encompasses gems and fossils.
.Steel really doesn't need to exclude all non-ferrous metals since all metals have similar properties. And again the TCG simply calls it 'metal'.
.Dragon. Why is this a type? Some Dragons live in water, so make 'em water. Some fly in the air, so why not flying? I like the dragon type i just don't know its reason (besides being rare & magical). Dragon isn't an alchemic 'element' per se, it's a type of creature (and also the only Chinese astrology sign to be given its own 'type', all astrological signs have an element associated with them too depending on which year in the 60-year cycle is being examined). - Myself? I'm a 'wood Ox'. but anyway...
.Dark. A lot of issues and confusion arises because of meaning lost in translation. In English Dark-type is called Evil-type in Japanese, but that's not all. There are Dark pokemon cards from Team Rocket expansion called 'bad' in Japan, And the pokemon called Dark in Japanese are the Shadow pokemon of Orre (with their own type of attack and type-match up.) Since the Dark-type was created to address balancing issuse with Psychic and Ghosts are immune to Psychic in the anime-only, the two could be retconned into one type, leaving Darkness as a description of 'bad' pokemon in the TCG (along with its antithesis Light clled 'gentle' in Japanese) and in relation to Shadow pokemon only. BRING BACK THE SHADOW POKEMON!!!

New type ideas:
LIGHT to combat the dark (in terms of brightness and divine holiness) - again only in alignment not 'type' since Fairy addresses the balance in-game and to an extent Electric fills this role with its LIGHTning attacks and description.

SOUND - to give some existing Pokemon a Sound type (Exploud, Noibat) and all sound-based moves like Sing and Hyper Voice would be tricky but it's a really good idea. Soundproof would then be comparable to Levitate (completely negating a type's effectiveness). The problem arises with moves that already have a type like Bug Buzz and Synchronoise - how would they affect the type chart to accommodate this? Would they be dual-type attacks? How would Sound interact with the other types and itself? Perhaps to leave everything as it is just have Sound as an unofficial type would be easier but still counted as one, especially since there are so few sound-based moves and pokemon.

LOVE - Another possible antithesis to Evil/Darkness. Besides infatuation, a few gender-based moves (Attract, Captivate), abilities (Oblivious, Rivalry) and a few Heart-shaped designs (Luvdisc, Amomomola) there is really nothing else to suggest it could have its own type, especially seeing the amount of pokemon with genders and there being less call for an 'anti-darkness' type with the new arrival of Fairy (again).

BLOOD/BONE - based on the idea of life itself. Blood type moves would involve draining an opponent to heal oneself (like a Vampire) or hurting oneself to inflict massive damage. Bone-moves like Bone Club and Bone Rush could also be included since it never made sense to me why (as Ground-type) bone would be stronger than Rocks and Steel and not hit birds. The downside of this though, is a heavy emphasis on blood would force the game to alienate a younger audience (and possibly cause controversy with parents). Life-force is already represented by Fairy (they really knew what they were doing there), and vitality of the body is, to an extent, represented by Fighting too.

GLASS CRYSTAL - I think everyone who has seen the Crystal Onix episode wants a Crystal-type. It also came with its own battle properties explanation. Resists Water and weak to Fire (unlike regular Onix). Carbink might also fit into this category or even a special Crystal Carbink variant (where Crystal replaces Rock).

RAINBOW a representation of all the types as inspired by the TCG - It couldn't work like all the types in one though, i've tried the math involved and it's way too much. However this idea has potential in the pokmon that change type (like Arceus, Castform - notice the weather connection, Kecleon) and moves that allow type changes (like Conversion, Conversion 2 etc). Beyond this there is little to suggest it would work without HUGE upheaval and redesign of the existing type chart, or a lot of math.

*EDIT* - RUBBER? - Electric needs another weakness, this is purely a type-chart balancing issue.

TIME (ancient/prehistoric)/SPACE (cosmic/stellar). As much as the arguments for are compelling, the two concepts are too narrow to warrant whole types, rather than a few representative mons, and are as abstract concepts as CHAOS/ORDER. (The gen 4 creation legendaries manage to encompass each theme perfectly - think about it.)

Last edited:
Okay, guys, I have this hilarious idea. It's like a Fairy-type or something - stay with me - it's a Fairy-type... and it's immune to Dragon!

No, wait.

Deoxys - Cosmic
Jirachi - Cosmic/Steel
Rayquaza - Dragon/Cosmic

Rayquaza wouldn't really work, since it's supposed to be the embodiment of the air.

All the way back in 2005, I made up the Magic Type.
Offensively, it's strong against Dark, Ghost and Poison, and isn't resisted by anything (mostly because I can't think of anything that COULD resist it).
Defensively, it resists Dark, Ghost, Poison, and Fairy, and is weak to Psychic (representing the modern-day skeptics who don't believe in magic).

Magic type moves include Metronome, Swift, Assist, Curse (this was back when Curse was still considered typeless), and Star Shot (a Magic-type Aura Sphere).

Magic-type Pokemon include:
Majesteon: A Magic-type Eeveelution that is a result of leveling up after learning Swift while holding a Star Piece
Mythicorn: A Magic/Flying alicorn Pokémon
Lakigam (Pronounced "lah-KAI-gum): The Guardian Pokémon. I originally designed it to be the Pokémon equivalent of a creation deity, but when Gen. IV came around, it became kind of redundant. Now I guess it'd be a Pokémon that protects the planet as a whole, only showing itself when it becomes clear that its power is truly needed.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom