• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could invent a new type

Cosmic-type (Outer Space, Extra-terrestrial)
Super Effective to (2x): Psychic, Normal, Flying, Fairy & Rock
Is not Effective to (0.5x): Dragon & Poison

Is weak to (2x): Fighting, Poison & Ghost
Resistant to (0.5x): Fairy, Psychic, Electric & Fire

Some Pokemons to retyped:
Clefairy & Clefable - Fairy/Cosmic
Deoxys - Cosmic
Jirachi - Cosmic/Steel
Rayquaza - Dragon/Cosmic
Solrock & Lunatone - Rock/Cosmic
Elgyem & Beheeyem - Cosmic/Psychic
I really don't think Psychic needs another weakness, it's already a vulnerable defensive type as-is (I also don't really understand the rationale behind Psychic being weak to this type). Fairy does need a nerf, though.

Sound Type
Sound type needs to be a thing!

Weakens psychic, fairy
Resisted by dark, ghost
Doesn't affect steel
Resists normal, fairy, dark, bug
Weakened by steel, ghost

Retype the Wigglytuff line (sound/fairy), the Exploud line (sound), Chatot (sound/flying), Meloetta (sound/psychic), Jynx? (ice/sound), Litleo and Pyroar (fire/sound), Chimecho and Chingling (psychic/sound), Audino (normal/sound), Kricketot and Kricketune (bug/sound), and Maractus (grass/sound)
Retype Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Growl, Heal Bell, Howl, Hyper Voice, Noble Roar, Perish Song, Relic Song, Roar, Screech, Sing, Snore, Sonic Boom, Supersonic, Uproar, and Yawn.
Give Arceus the Acoustic Plate

Nuclear Type
I agree with several earlier posters, Nuclear is a good idea. Fairy NEEDS a nerf.

Weakens fairy, steel, ice, fire, grass
Resisted by dragon, water, psychic
Doesn't affect poison
Resists ice, grass, steel, fire
Weakened by dragon, water, psychic
Unaffected by fairy, poison

Retype Koffing and Weezing (nuclear/poison), Sableye? (nuclear/ghost), Mega Tyranitar (nuclear/dark), Slugma and Magcargo? (fire/nuclear), Victini (psychic/nuclear)
Retype Blue Flare, Explosion, Heat Wave, Hyper Beam, Secret Power, Simple Beam, Smog?, Tri Attack
Give Arceus the Radioactive Plate

Last edited:
If I could invent a new type, it'll most likely be named mineral type. Its aesthetics would go along with crystals, lattices, glasses, prisms, advanced materials, magical gems, ancient technology, mythical contraptions, or even fractal patterns or structures.

Weakness: psychic, ghost
Resistance: bug, fighting, electric
Immunity: fairy

Effective: electric, fighting, fairy
Ineffective: psychic, ghost, normal

Why such type match-ups? Because then Dark/mineral would be an awesome pokemon I'd use, with no weakness. I could give more whimsical reasons/excuse to explain the type chart, like psychic and ghost being able to penetrate the material, it doesn't conduct electricity, it has high durability to resist fighting types, and fairies don't like unnatural/artificial/updated technology.

Nuclear Type
I agree with several earlier posters, Nuclear is a good idea. Fairy NEEDS a nerf.

Weakens fairy, steel, ice, fire, grass
Resisted by dragon, water, psychic
Doesn't affect poison
Resists ice, grass, steel, fire
Weakened by dragon, water, psychic
Unaffected by fairy, poison

Retype Koffing and Weezing (nuclear/poison), Sableye? (nuclear/ghost), Mega Tyranitar (nuclear/dark), Slugma and Magcargo? (fire/nuclear), Victini (psychic/nuclear)
Retype Blue Flare, Explosion, Heat Wave, Hyper Beam, Secret Power, Simple Beam, Smog?, Tri Attack
Give Arceus the Radioactive Plate

Isn't the origin of Trubbish and Garbodor literally radiation? They also seem like good candidates.

Why would you make a Nuclear type for the purpose of nerfing Fairies while unbalancing the game by nerfing Grass and Ice even more?

My observation that Pokémon lacks natural, humanoid Pokémon beyond maximum human height still holds for Gen 6, so I'm still advocating Giant. With entirely metagame-based type interractions, natch, since arguing from flavour tends to neglect gameplay. Fertile territory for GF to exploit.

Why would you make a Nuclear type for the purpose of nerfing Fairies while unbalancing the game by nerfing Grass and Ice even more?

I know you weren't the one that suggesting Nuclear/Radioactive type having an advantage over Grass, but I saw it here.

In fact, it should be the other way around. Plants are extraordinarily more resistant to radiation than animals (i.e. all the other pokemon types). You can grow potatoes that have been highly radiated and they will grow just fine. But animals with the same dosage will die quickly.

Therefore, Grass type resists Radiation (because that's a better name for it anyway...), and is likely the only resist, though Bug could be argued for.
Neutral to Radiation attacks would be the inorganics Rock, Steel, and Ghost. (you could say they are less affected than plants are, but Grass needs to be improved while these types don't)
Weak to Radiation would be the obvious living types such as Normal and Water.

I've NEVER understood why so many people want a "Sound" type. I mean, sound is just air molecules vibrating, which is something that can be caused by EVERYTHING ON EARTH. Therefore, EVERYTHING could be classed as a Sound type, which is probably the reason that Game Freak hasn't made it yet! I mean, no offense to anyone, but it just isn't viable.

I would like to have a Nuclear type, which are mutated radioactive Pokemon that have no weakness. Another type I want to have is a Zombie type that are only weak to Fire and Steel, these Pokemon are undead and decayed and their moves spread plague and creates a Zombified condition which turn Pokemon into zombies causing them to hurt themselves every turn, unless you use the Cura Berry which cure Zombie condition.

Gaseous (or shortly Gas) Type.

Offense:
Fire (x2)
Water (x2)
Electric (x2)
Fairy (x2)
Dark (x0,5)
Poison (x0,5)
Ghost (x0,5)
Light (if real, 0,5)

Defense:
Fire (x0,5)
Electric (x0,5)
Bug (x0,5)
Fighting (x0,5)
Psychic (x0,5)
Dark (x2)
Poison (x2)
Light (if real, x2)

I would make another type based on a Mythological creature like they did with Dragon and Fairy. I would call it Giant because there are a number of Pokemon alrdy that can be decribed as a Giants, like Regigigas. Gaints will be strong against Fairies, infact they are imune to Fairy Attacks, but will be weak against Dragons. I would also give them a weakness to Ground but an advantage over Grass

I would like a magic type, i think that could open up some potiential for new pokemon. Instead of always having the same pokemon with the same type but different name and look.

I've NEVER understood why so many people want a "Sound" type. I mean, sound is just air molecules vibrating, which is something that can be caused by EVERYTHING ON EARTH. Therefore, EVERYTHING could be classed as a Sound type, which is probably the reason that Game Freak hasn't made it yet! I mean, no offense to anyone, but it just isn't viable.

You might think i'm being facetious, but by that logic almost everything could be water type since the majority of all living organisms are composed of water 70% or more.

Anyone noticed that the three 'newer' types (dark, steel, fairy) all have something in common? They all have an invulnerability to a pre-existing 'original' type (psychic, poison, dragon respectively). Perhaps this is not coincidence.

CUPCAKE TYPE!!!!!
um.....
powerful against
fairy
fighting
ghost
psychic

weak against
bug
normal
fire

You might think i'm being facetious, but by that logic almost everything could be water type since the majority of all living organisms are composed of water 70% or more.

Anyone noticed that the three 'newer' types (dark, steel, fairy) all have something in common? They all have an invulnerability to a pre-existing 'original' type (psychic, poison, dragon respectively). Perhaps this is not coincidence.

Yes, but not every living creature lives in or near the water, which is the common theme among Water-types. Sound exists everywhere on the planet, and can be made by anything, which is the point I was trying to make.

And of course the three newer types having immunities isn't a coincidence, the only reason they introduced them was because they were trying to balance the type chart back out.

Well, Fairy exists now. I personally think it's OP.

It should be weak to Radioactive/Nuclear type, if such a thing were to be made.

My Gas Type is strong against Fairy but don't resist it.

But if you wanted it to be resistant/immune to Fairy then I don't mind.

My type would be the Photo type, (think variable degrees of light), bright and dark forms of light are inclusive.

Strong:
Offense: Dark, Fairy, Psychic
Defense: Fire, Fighting, Electric
Immunity: None

Weak:
Offense: Poison, Steel, Ice
Defense: Poison, Steel, Bug, Psychic
Immunity: Bug

This is my first time posting on these forums so hopefully this idea hasn't been mentioned yet.

I like the notion of a "sound" type but maybe call it something like "Sonar" or "Sonic" type to emphasize more of a focus on the transmission of sound rather than sounds themselves. This would provide some diversity to some of the vast moves found in the "Normal" type move pool (examples being Boomburst, Echoed Voice, Growl, Heal Bell, Howl, Hyper Voice, Noble Roar, Perish Song, Relic Song, Roar, Screech, Sing, Snore, Sonic Boom, Supersonic, Uproar, and Yawn) (thanks to Gudon44 for the collection of these moves).

It would make a simple secondary type for a number of already existing normal type pokemon like Audino and the Whismur trio and could even replace the normal type factor of pokemon like Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff or Clefairy/Clefable or Chimecho/Chingling.

It would be super effective against Fighting types (sound breaking focus) and would give some of those previously solely normal types an edge they have always lacked by making an opposing fighting type only inflict normal damage. It would also be super effective against Bug and Flying (many species of both IRL rely on sonar to function/move to various extents). It would be weak to Psychic (they can manipulate their frequency) as well as Ghost (as they are spiritual creatures not really reliant on the planes of this dimension). This would create an interesting dynamic too as Ghost doesn't affect Normal and provide a bit more credibility/usability/value to a move like Odor Sleuth. Steel would be unaffected and other types would cause normal damage or damage according to their various other type match-ups and such.

Some potential new moves could include more damage moves as many status/stat moves would already exist if the type change happened. This would follow along nicely the more recent additions of moves like Hyper Voice. Create more damage and status moves that attack and leave with confusion, etc. Or to give balance a move with like 150 attack that sharply boosts an opponents special defense stat (as most sonar moves would logically be special rather than physical attacks). A potential ability would be Sonic Shield that creates a frequency shield that diminishes the effectiveness of psychic and ghost attacks or a hidden ability along the lines of Scraping Sonar which allows a steel type to be hit by sonar attacks at a regular damage ratio.

Anyhow, if the idea is dumb I apologize. I think it has potential or at least more than what I've seen thus far in this thread. Any feedback would be appreciated or feel free to run with any part of this type idea.

@jeremyjnicholas; welcome to the forums!
People have mentioned the "Sound" type before, but you gave a lot of detail on how it would work, so that's good.

Anyway, here's some types I think there should be:
-Aether type (which I think should replace Fairy)
-Space type (for Pokemon from outer space...)
-Magic type (also could potentially replace Fairy...)

Light

immune to dark
weak to psychic
resistant to ghost

powerful against steel and ghost
immune against dark(both ways)
resistant against psychic

Mareep family should get it as second type,Lanturn should have it but Water/Electric Pokemon is still needed
Clefairy and Jigglypuff families completely change to Light (bye-bye Normal...)

You know, with all this talk about Light types, maybe we should make a Lelouch type. XD

Strong against everything except.................

Weakness: Fighting
I jest I jest.

As for an actual type? Hmmm, seeing the stuff we already have............... I don't see another possible type. But hey, Nintendo might surprise us with a new type as time passes on and it would make sense. XD

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom