• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could nominate another companion to return in Sun and Moon..

Which friend of Ash's should return to Sun and Moon?

• May

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Dawn

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Iris

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Serena

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Tracey

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Max

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Cilan

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Clemont

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Bonnie

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
I'd always pick Serena first because I really like her character and I think she would complement a few of the current cast. Dawn would be my second choice though if anything because she's pretty cool as well.

...Who would it be and why?

Honestly, I'd like all of them to return at some point. There are parts I liked about each series (yes, even the BW series too). We have seen some come back, but hasn't been consistent since Iris didn't make a cameo during the XY series.

I was pretty stoked we got to see Kanto again especially during a current series (I don't think this has been done since the original series .. I'm sure advanced generation did it too for a little bit).

I voted for Tracey, because COME ON! WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE EVER SAW HIM ON-SCREEN? JEEZ, WRITERS!

Seriously though, Tracey is in desperate need of some screen time. It's a real shame to see such a versatile character, and his Pokémon, be robbed of the attention they deserve, and be left to fade away into oblivion.

I voted for Tracey, because COME ON! WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE EVER SAW HIM ON-SCREEN? JEEZ, WRITERS!
In BW, in Charizard's return episode (In a non-speaking cameo no less) and the final BW episode in Ash's fantasy. It is sad, Tracey is pretty much the forgotten companion. They didn't even bother to have him show up in the Kanto two-parter. I get that they wanted to focus on the Kanto Pokémon and Misty and Brock, but was it that hard to have Tracey appear, even if for one quick scene?

In BW, in Charizard's return episode (In a non-speaking cameo no less) and the final BW episode in Ash's fantasy. It is sad, Tracey is pretty much the forgotten companion. They didn't even bother to have him show up in the Kanto two-parter. I get that they wanted to focus on the Kanto Pokémon and Misty and Brock, but was it that hard to have Tracey appear, even if for one quick scene?

Or even just namedrop him.

Even though it's unlikely; what if all of Ash's past friends come to Alola to help fight and defend Alola from all of the craziness that's going to happen? We know that Misty and Brock might come back later, but what if Dawn, May, Serena, Iris, Cilan, Tracy, Bonnie, Max and Clemont comes back as well?

Even though it's unlikely; what if all of Ash's past friends come to Alola to help fight and defend Alola from all of the craziness that's going to happen? We know that Misty and Brock might come back later, but what if Dawn, May, Serena, Iris, Cilan, Tracy, Bonnie, Max and Clemont comes back as well?
Yup, it does sound unlikely to me. All of Ash's friends appearing would mean increased payments on the company's part. In addition, the writers would ideally have to be bothered with proper screen time for each character, which, despite seeming very unlikely, seeing how the SM anime is currently playing out, is a pretty brain-racking job in itself.

S E R E N A
E
R
E
N
A

Seriously though, I loved her character and she was probably the most developed character in the anime besides Ash.

I'd settle for anyone other than Misty and Brock at this point. Maybe Iris or Serena since their appearances in the new series are not yet done. Voted for Dawn since she's my favourite companion.

If we talk about Rivals, I REALLY WANT TO SEE PAUL AND ALAIN ON SCREEN TOGETHER!
but this artstyle dosen’t look like it'll suit them too much

Dawn's my favourite of Ash's female companions and I'd love to see her again, but I'm pretty hesitant with that wish. Her last return arc wasn't very good.

For the males... Brock. Always Brock. He's the only reason I had a shred of interest in the Kanto episodes at all; I don't care about Misty but damnit if I wasn't glad to have him back for a little while!

At the time, I didn't realise it wasn't multiple choice so I attempted to pick both Dento and Iris - I think I'd prefer Iris to return over Dento though, and this is because as a main female companion, I feel she was slighted by not having an actual in-series appearance during XY like her predecessors (I realise May never received a special episode dedicated to herself, which is also unfair, but I'd almost place the in-series episodes where the companions return and see Ash higher than special episodes). I also quite enjoy Iris' character and personality, and I think she'd work well with the cast of Sun and Moon if she had to interact with them, also I think her and Ash really bounced off of another in terms of their friendship.

Dento, due to the fact I think he's an entertaining and interesting character - and what is an over-the-top series without one of the anime's most hyperbolic companions to date? Partially I would like to see him so we could get a handle on what his true motivations are at this point, where his development is going in relation to his sommelier career and what Sun and Moon could bring to such development.

Does that mean every character beside Misty and Brock since they returned in Alola already? Or they can be option too?
Assuming everyone are in play this is my list in no particular order:

May: it has passed way too much, almost entire decade last time she was seen. May in a way was treated ever since she left main cast as unwanted child not receiving enough recognition for standards and expanded boundaries her presence in pokemon achieved.

She never got any special episodes, let alone focus/follow up on her adventures. And i would love to find out how her Johto adventure finished, did she manage to break through as coordinator over there? At what standpoint her rivalries with Harley, Drew, Solidad etc are? And where is she now?

And while her appearance in Wallace Cup wad great, that simply did not satiate people hunger to learn about May solo voyage ever since she left main cast with producers not doing her proper justice.
Something tells me health problems with her VA Kaori are not main reason behind not coming back for this much.

Cilan: if anything than because his character felt underdeveloped leaving lot of unanswered and inconclusive things surrounding him. Rivalry with Burgundy never hit its peak, let alone denouement not being fair to neither her or protagonist Cilan. As one of gym leaders of Striaton city and connoisseur of high expertise . Profession which was treated as dirt not receiving much love let alone fleshing out. I would like to see if he gained enough confidence and resolve to enter expand for S class connoisseur, to see some of new pokemon being caught(given how scarce his team in reality was).

And underwhelming exit randomly deciding to go for some obscure fishing contest in Hoenn or decision to randomly visit tower of mastery ever since last appearance left bad taste in mouth. Feeling like Cilan was left at this point and time with no real definition and goal in his life not following any real path for now.

Not to mention i think some of Alola pokemon like Crabrawler or Vikavolt would fit his battling style nicely making me highly intrigued in how well he would handle Z move testing his jack of all trade deceiving nature his passion and skilled approach toward so many hobbies did signalized to us viewers at times.

Tracey: sure he may not be fandom favorite. Far from it, but Tracey is treated with so much disrespect that it hurts .
In Kanto side trip recently Tracey was nowhere to be seen or heard from. Its like writers erased him from pokemon universe being treated like he's nonexistent. Fact that he lives in Ash hometown, yet for several transition between regions Ash travels through Tracey was not shown , or even mentioned is sad to say the least. Especially because regardless of how those in charge feel about this character and his overall popularity, he is is till part of pokemon anime history and should be acknowledged instead of pretending like "it never happened". More so because Tracey was in reality least explored out of all pokemon main characters not knowing anything about his past, family and origins. Never staying long enough in anime to explore on deeper level personality and his habits, other interests, quite different career of being pokemon watcher(profession which is in lot of ways still enigma in not being defined much even to this day). Having potential to be done much more than what was received in end.

So yes i would like to see Tracey again.

Honorable mention:
Misty: Now some may say,why her?
After all we just saw Misty quite recently, but it should be took in account how Misty was absent from pokemon series in any physical form ever since 2005, not appearing in flesh for 11 years. And while she finally returned during Ash brief curriculum external class, Misty return lasted for only 2 episodes. In which so MANY THINGS were left unanswered. Due to so many things and so many characters being crammed in so little time that things get rushed, without explanation and like lot of opportunities and potential regarding Misty but Brock as well during this brief return simply couldn't be executed. Not being given more screen time to shine and be of more impact to pokemon anime nowadays.

For example where are her sisters?
Howcome she managed to remodel Cerulean gym to such extent that many tournaments in structure would be ashamed?
What is Misty's role and position as gym leaders nowadays in pokemon world?

We didn't saw her other pokemon or potential new ones, but what interests me the most is how did she got key and mega stone??
How did she unlocked mega evolution? Becoming so much more powerful with her Gyarados being real force of nature. Don't get me wrong im glad she managed to do this, but I do not approve everything being left to imagination and of screen rationalization with no mention whatsoever.
I would also like to find out is she still pursuing her ultimate dream of becoming water pokemon master, because mega evolution indicates she traveled leaving gym for considerable amount of time. To learn about mega evolution to begin with and learn how to achieve with her pokemon whole new level of trust and strength.

Also i feel Misty aside from making us recall how great, full of playful banter and passion her relationship with Ass is(i genuinely enjoyed in their small moments of chemistry showed during this Kanto field trip) really clicked great with some other characters like Lana.
Both of this girls have lot of things in common, Lana kinda see in Misty role model and Ash invitation that she and Brock come to Alola with both promising to do so. Gives me small hope that writers will stay consistent with what was promised making them involved on more significant scale in Alola region.

Because as GREAT(to me anyway) as it was to see Misty and Brock briefly again, they returned for too short period to give us time to learn new things about them. Give them some needed development, deepen on relationship with other characters and provide answer to many question about them still hanging in air. Deserving imo some more screen time to shine.
Even more so Misty/Kasumi imo.

Granted would like to see Dawn, Max, Bonnie, Serena, Clemont as well. But this are characters which i would like to see again the most.

I hope they use the school setting again as an excuse to explore other regions briefly like they did with Kanto. They could either bring old companions as guests or make more field trips.

Serena is my number one pick, but I also want to see Bonnie if there's ever going to be a Zygarde plot from USUM.

If possible, Gary. Please Gary.

Automatically I want Misty & Brock to make good on their word and go to Alola. But I voted Tracey as I'd like him to return. Or even just get a mention. :cry:

That said, May returned in DP & Dawn did in BW, so...I'd like Serena to appear in SM, even if only for an episode or two, or for her to get a special episode like Dawn & Brock did.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom