• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could only choose ONE Pokémon game to play from now on, which one would you choose? And why?

After a lot of thinking, I have decided that I would choose Pokémon White 2.

Here are the reasons why:

- PWT: the Pokémon World Tournament is basically like a cheat that allows you to enjoy all your favourite region characters (both humans and Pokémon) in the same game.

- Super Lines in the Battle Subway: for someone so passionate about Battle Facilities like myself, this is a big deal. When you lose your winning streak in previous generations, you have to start from the very bottom of facing Ratatas and Pidgeys and other weak NFE Pokémon. But with Super Lines, introduced in Gen V, you always face tough, fully evolved mons.

- Funfest Missions: this side activity basically keeps the entire region dynamic and gives us a reason to re-explore it all the time. It's one of the smartest features ever introduced.

- Easy levelling up with White Treehollow, Pokémon League rematches and Audino grinding.

- Join Avenue: if I feel like being creative and customising a place to my liking.

- Pokestar Studios: if I want to engage in a different type of battles

As for why I choose White 2 over Black 2? I just like the aesthetics more. And White Forest is nicer than Black City. Also White Kyurem is cooler than Black Kyurem.

Last edited:
Hard mode: Crystal

Easy mode: Crystal and Stadium 2

While Crystal is missing more modern features present in HGSS, it's a more charming game in terms of the animated sprites and music. If allowed, Stadium 2 is much better post-game content than the Battle Frontier in my book.

R/B/Y/, whichever has the better version exclusives. There are so many weird glitches you an do in those games, makes them the most nonlinear games of all. Plus nostalgia, of course.

With spin-offs, I'll add stadium.

Ok, this probably sounds annoying for anyone following this thread from the start, but... I have changed my mind back to Emerald, once again.

I would obviously miss the great QoL improvements that White 2 offers (reusable TMs, Repel Spamming, Physical Special split, Super Lines in battle facilities, etc). I would also really miss the PWT.

But I have realized that I am willing to trade these BW2 features for Emerald's Battle Frontier, Secret Bases and Contests.

So, I choose Emerald. It's the Pokémon game with the most content of all. It's my definitive answer.

Last edited:
Ok, this probably sounds annoying to anyone following this thread but... I have changed my mind back to Emerald, once again.

I would obviously miss the great QoL improvements that White 2 has the offer (reusable TMs, Repel Spamming, Physical Special split, Super Lines in battle facilities, etc). I would also really miss the PWT.

But I have realized I am willing to trade them for the Emerald Battle Frontier, Secret Bases and Contests.

So, I would choose Emerald.

I love Emerald. Felt like a fuller experience altogether in my opinion, and one of my top 5 favourite main series games!

I agree with HG/SS probably being the obvious choice. I really do think it a shame we have yet to get a dual region game again and probably never will. I really enjoy the game as it is right now with the current typings so not having fairy is a big negative.

I would probably have to go with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon just for the typings and Alola forms; Not needing a HM slave is also fantastic and a plus. That said Platinum is my favourite game I love Cynthia/Shirona (シロナ) so any game with her would be acceptable.

Hopefully we see DPP remakes with full NatDex in a few years but I won’t hold my breath for the NatDex.

That said Platinum is my favourite game I love Cynthia/Shirona (シロナ) so any game with her would be acceptable.

Hopefully we see DPP remakes with full NatDex in a few years but I won’t hold my breath for the NatDex.

Cynthia is my favourite champion. She really is out there, so I totally resound with this!

I love Emerald. Felt like a fuller experience altogether in my opinion, and one of my top 5 favourite main series games!
Emerald is surprisingly underrated around here, imo. I think Emerald is the best Pokémon game ever, but the somewhat outdated mechanics are what holds back many people from choosing it as their favourite game.

Which is sad, because Emerald clearly has more content and quality put into it than most, if not all, other games.

Last edited:
Emerald is surprisingly underrated around here I think Emerald is the best Pokémon game ever, outdated mechanics aside.

But I feel that the somewhat outdated mechanics (no physical special split, no reusable TMs, etc) are the very reason why people tend to underrate Emerald

I guess in my book, seems imbalanced to judge a game based on an experience you had that was not in the game's original year. When I played it it was during the HGSS time period, but I thought it felt so nice and refreshing still even at the advent of the DS. Definitely am still annoyed by that tower to Rayquaza though. Fell so manny times lol!

Emerald is surprisingly underrated around here, imo. I think Emerald is the best Pokémon game ever, but the somewhat outdated mechanics are what holds many people back from choosing it as their favourite.

Which is sad, because Emerald clearly has more content and quality put into it than most, if not all, other games.

I lurk here a lot more than I post mainly due to family life/health issues. I agree you I have noticed that lack of love for Emerald perhaps due to ORAS taking priority over Gen III in people’s minds?

Gen III had the best starters in my opinion (outside of the nostalgia for Gen I) full disclosure Mudkip is my favourite starter so I may be bias. It has the best Legendaries (again personal opinion) and good Mystics. I also have found memories of the Kyushu region, I pray for the people there affected by the recent floods.

I still prefer DPP > RSE though shrugs

I still prefer DPP > RSE though shrugs

I mean facts but I gotta give my Green Draco boi here some love yafeel?

HeartGold
Having Pkmn following you is simply great, I love the lighting put in cities, the traditional japanese mood, the remade musics as well as the GB player, Johto plus Kanto, the Pokéathlon and no Megas, no Z-blingbling.

None. I get bored really easy, and when I get bored, I get both stressed and dangerous. My mind is constantly active and overflowing with energy (much to my chagrin, as it makes sleeping a pain, especially when I have a migraine), so I need to keep my entertainment options fresh by rotating frequently between them. To put it in perspective, over the past few days alone I've been rotating between Crash Team Racing, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, because I get bored THAT easily and need to keep doing something different often to keep me from driving myself crazy. Writing also helps alleviate that issue, too, but it requires more time (and I frequently get writer's block), while gaming I can do in short bursts. So, to just focus on one game, no matter how good, wouldn't do me any good, as I'd probably get even more stressed. So, in short, the answer is none.

Ugh this is evil.

It’s hard to choose between HG, White, and white 2.

I love unova and each unova game has its own unique traits.

But HG has following Pokémon, triathlon, and post game even non competitive can be interested in.

I’ll iltimately say HG just because it was my main reentry into the series, and it has a special part courtesy of my Espeon on it.

I'd love to pick Sheild for a lot of reasons, but I assume we can't pick unreleased games. So I'm going with ORAS for the main series game since I love what it did for Hoenn and it still has m favorite ending ever.

For the spin off, it's Super Mystery Dungeon hands down. I've literally replayed that game like 10 times and I could do it again.

That's hard, but I would have to go with Pokémon Black 2.

Unova simply has a lot of stuff I enjoy:
a wide region (which gets even bigger in the second version);
great characters;
memorable cities and locations with very diverse atmospheres;
memorable soundtracks;
nice graphics - even if you may disagree with this one, I won't take it back;
a majestic styled Pokémon League;
seasons' system;
Pokéwood, Join Avenue, etc....

That's hard, but I would have to go with Pokémon Black 2.

Unova simply has a lot of stuff I enjoy:
a wide region (which gets even bigger in the second version);
great characters;
memorable cities and locations with very diverse atmospheres;
memorable soundtracks;
nice graphics - even if you may disagree with this one, I won't take it back;
a majestic styled Pokémon League;
seasons' system;
Pokéwood, Join Avenue, etc....

Shiny Gible

Never really have bothered with shinies myself, but that could be one more reason.

I’ve never encountered a shiny in the wild and I’ve played thousands of hours. The time played on my GBC Gold is broken does not go higher...

My first Shiny was Red Gyarados and I think my second was shiny Gible. As is my headcanon starter for “me” if I was in Pokémon it was the reason I played Black and White 2 so much.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom