• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could only choose ONE Pokémon game to play from now on, which one would you choose? And why?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Imagine you were told you could only play ONE Pokémon game from now on. And you aren't allowed to play any other Pokémon game in the future, just the one you are about to choose. Which game would you choose?

Spin-off Pokémon games are also allowed.

Easy mode: you are allowed to choose one main series game, and one spin-off game.

Last edited:
That's a pretty easy HeartGold version answer for me. I've already played the Johto games many times and I enjoy them every time, and HeartGold has the spectacular Pokeathlon side content, which is still to this day the most fun I've had in any mainline Pokemon game's obligatory "side/extra mode." All the other main games have at least point where I'm like "ugh, not [Mt. Coronet being an annoying obstacle in the middle of the region, the annoying caves in BW, getting to Sootopolis in RSE, etc]", but I really can't think of any issue I have with HG that would even slightly hold me back from choosing it.

I want to say HeartGold as well because I do love Johto but I have to add some diversity here and besides I love this other game just as much.

I'd go with Platinum. I loved the story, and the challenge of it. Plus the post game, and side quests of helping a NPC through an area were a lot of fun. Platinum really reminded me of everything I love about Pokemon.

Even if I am the creator of this thread, the funny thing is I don't want to answer myself, because I really love Emerald, HG/SS and BW2 equally.

The things I love about each one of them:

Emerald has Hoenn, Secret Bases, Contests and the Hoenn Battle Frontier.

HGSS have Johto + Kanto, Pokéathlon, Following Pokémon, Voltorb Flip and the Johto Battle Frontier.

BW2 have Unova, Funfest Missions, the Battle Subway and the PWT.

I really do like them equally. But if I had to choose just one game, I think it would be Emerald. It has the best battle facilities, and also the best side feature for me: Secret Bases.

Last edited:
It was a tough decision between XY and SM, but I think I am going to choose SM.

While Melemele island is basically a drag to get through, especially the first half of it or so, once your off you really get going. I really love the story for these games, and the characters are really great. I really love the game overall and the soundtrack is awesome to listen to as well. Then if I'm done and I don't want to restart yet I can spend time hunting shiny Pokemon with the SOS encounter method. There are a lot of great shinies in the game and the SOS hunting has to be one of my favorite methods to hunt with, second to X and Y's horde hunting. I already have 400+ hours in my Pokemon Sun game, and I still love to go back with it.

X and Y were pretty close though. I love the region of Kalos, and the game is pretty fun to go through multiple times. Again it does have an earlier area where it suffers a bit, and the rivals are garbage. But overall the experience is enjoyable. The clothing options are also really great too. I can spend days just working at the hotel and getting money, then buying all the freaking clothes and going into the PR video maker. Also, I can literally spend hours just running around the region on those roller skates they are so freaking fun.

well shit if we're including spin-offs then of course it's gotta be Mystery Dungeon Sky

were I to keep it limited to the main series, then I'd just say XY. I can casually slip in and out of it with the greatest of ease and there's more than enough pokémon and clothing choices to fuel tons of original characters for a good long while. I also really love stuff like yeah, the roller skates. No core pokémon game would be infinitely replayable to me, but this one (I think) already is my most-replayed and I've yet to grow tired of it. now I would have said B2W2 here, but every time I have tried to play them without playing BW first, it just feels wrong, and the proposition here is that I can only pick one. so. XY it is

If we're talking about endless main game campaigns, XY because of the team customization, BW because I never played it and HGSS just because of the walking Pokemon.

But if we're talking about post-game only in the state I have my games right now, W2 because I have unsolved issues with some features, and HGSS for walking Pokemon and the Pokeathlon.

If I have to be stuck with one game, I'd have to say Black2 because there's just so many things to do and so many activities that are worth trying out that it would keep me entertained for a long time.

For the spin-off games, I'd pick any of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Mystery Dungeon is awesome.

Assuming I can keep all the Pokemon I have currently, then Ultra Moon would do. It has pretty much all the legends and shinies that I would need to keep me entertained for a good while, anyway.

Other than that? Platinum. I feel like I can never really tire of Platinum no matter how many times I replay it. =o

Am I allowed to choose a game that hasn't been released yet? Because it's going to have to be Sword! I know it might be a bit weird to choose a game that I haven't even played yet, but as someone who lives in the UK, Galar is going to end up becoming my "definitive" region, for sure. I love everything I've seen in the trailers and demos so far, so I think it would be pretty much impossible at this point for me to not love the game. If Galar gets enhanced versions in a few years then I might choose one of those instead, although in the past I haven't always liked the enhanced versions as much as the original pair.

If the new region weren't based on the UK, then I probably would have chosen SoulSilver. And if I can choose a spin-off game as well, then it would have to be Pinball Ruby & Sapphire, because I love that game and it's the only spin-off that I've ever really enjoyed.

I've been thinking about this for a bit now and it's a very tough choice between Platinum and HGSS. Platinum is a better first gen IV experience, Sinnoh is my favorite region, can have your own villa in the Resort Area, and has a Battle Frontier for post game; but HGSS is my favorite remake, has following Pokémon, also has a Battle Frontier, has the Pokeathlon, and Johto is another region I like.

Ultimately I think I'd go with HGSS for this one though. Platinum is very dear to my heart but following Pokémon really appeals to me, and it's nice having my cute Purugly following my character around. Also I spent so much of my playtime at the Pokeathlon even after beating the games, it's just so very fun and addictive to me.

I'm starting to think I maybe should choose White 2 instead of Emerald...

Because the PWT would basically allow me to enjoy challenging ALL my favourite Gym Leaders and Champions.

And the more updated game mechanics (Repel spamming, infinite TMs, bigger Pokédex, "Super" lines in battle facilities) are a big, big plus over both Emerald and HGSS.

So I think I've changed my mind and I may go with White 2.

Last edited:
I know my signature says that I'm a Gen 1 fan, but it's certainly not a game that I'd want to be limited to. If I had to pick, I'd go with either HGSS or BW. Those games are from the era that I personally feel that Pokemon were at their best. I'm leaning more toward BW though since it's a more fresh experience, so I'd probably pick that one. But they're both great games.

As far as spin-off games, I think I'd go with PMD: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. Probably Sky since it's the "definitive" version but I haven't actually played that one.

Definitely HeartGold. I feel that there's so much to do in terms of activities outside of just the main lore of being a Pokémon Master. Not to mention two regions! It's also super nostalgic for me talking about this so I might pop it into my DS and boot it up tonight...

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom