• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could redo one of Ash's reginal teams what would you give him?

Desdar300

Reaction score
Sometimes I get the feeling that the writers could've chosen better Mons for Ash to use. Whether it's because I think they fit him or because I dislike the ones they went with for.
So decided to make this random thread to give my personal changes and to see what you guys would change as well.
Unova
Pikachu
Oshawott to Dewott to Samarott- This should've happened because as I said in a earlier thread, to me Oshaott was seemingly being built up to become a strong warrior but instead was made into a joke that wasn't even humorous. Moreover they could've had Ash's Osawott and Trip's Snivy be emulous towards one another to really drive the formers passion.
Pignite to Emboar- I kind of feel like this was going to happen anyways but Charizard showed up and stole the show again. I'd imagine Emboar being a very jolly Pokémon and he'd probably act as a Red oni to Samarott's Blue oni.
Snivy to Servine - I think that Servine would've been cool to see on Ash's team that and I'd love to see her break up fights between Dewott and Pignite.
Rufflet to Braviary - Pidove was horrible in-game so I never understood why the writers gave Ash it. Braviary on the other hand represents Valor and Heroism all the things Shonens embody and I think they could've made the eagle pretty interesting as a character.
Zorua to Zoroark- This could've saved the line from falling into obscurity and it'd be cool to see how the writers would incorporate Zoroark's ability in battle.

Last edited:
His Unova team is one team I'd certainly redo.

First of all, no regional 3 staged Normal/Flying bird, Unfeazant is no doubt his weakest bird and she is clearly outclassed by her successor, Talonflame. I would have given Ash a Braviary instead.

As for his Grass type, I would honestly remove Snivy and keep Leavanny. Leavanny was more unique of a Pokemon for Ash. Snivy's strategy got overplayed and she never learned anything new, unlike Leavanny who earned some decent moves like X-Scissor and Energy Ball. Leavanny also showed that he was a very agile and speedy Pokemon. He could dodge every punch from Close Combat!

For water, I'd keep Oshawott, BUT I'd have him evolve at least into a Dewott and learn something like Ice Beam along the way. One of my biggest issues with Oshawott was how they reduced him to nothing more than a joke. He deserved more respect and hopefully, he would have gotten that when he evolved. Still a bit goofy, but more serious about stuff than he was.

I'd keep Pignite, but maybe have him evolve into Emboar.

I'd remove Scraggy also and keep Krookodile, since Krookodile showed a lot of power, and it would be nice for Ash to keep his Fighting power house to Emboar

SO Ash's final Unova team: Pikachu, Braviary, Leavanny, Dewott, Emboar, and Krookodile.

I don't think Mijumaru was ever "reduced to nothing more than a joke" because he was *always* meant to be a jokey gag character. They were just trying to make him the new Potchama (and they're doing the same thing with Harimaron in XY) and probably never, ever had any intention of ever letting him evolve.

I don't think Mijumaru was ever "reduced to nothing more than a joke" because he was *always* meant to be a jokey gag character. They were just trying to make him the new Potchama (and they're doing the same thing with Harimaron in XY) and probably never, ever had any intention of ever letting him evolve.
If only he were the new Piplup. Instead, he was a cheap, much more poorly-written version with inconsistent development.

Unova:
Pikachu
Dewott
Servine
Emboar
Seismitoad
Leavanny
Gigalith
Krookodile
Zoroark (Caught as Zorua)
Braviary (Rufflet instead of Pidove)

Hmmm, honestly I wouldn't have minded if they could have filled the sub out routine in Unova a bit. I honestly don't mind any of them, I do think they could have spent more time with them, but given how plans were thrown off by the earthquake do we even know if Ash would have caught Boldore and Palpitoad in the original draft?

But if we go with what we got, here's a way to look at it

Pidove
Oshawott<--> Palpitoad
Pignite<-->Scraggy
Snivy<-->Leavanny
Boldore<-->Krookodile

Theoretically having a second flying or normal type might have come off as a way to make it work a bit more. Note Rock and Ground are only there for their similarities in the past and shared issues.

While I do like me some Rufflett, some other mons I'd not have mind having seen Ash use are Mienfoo or Golett.

If it could only be one team, and I'm only changing the Pokemon, I'd change Unova.

First things first, he'd only have a team of 6. No rotations, meaning no Pokemon being stuck with Juniper while other Pokemon eat up a majority of the screen time, and no repeated types.

Pidove would have been Rufflet instead and of course evolved into Braviary. Oshawott, Snivy, and Pignite would remain the same. (I might be tempted to make Oshawott a female so he'd have two females since he wouldn't have Unfezant). Instead of getting Scraggy as an egg, he'd catch Krookodile as a Sandile in his second appearance and he'd evolve later. Lastly I'd have had Roggenrola evolve all the way into Gigalith.

Not evolve Chikorita. It would have been nice for him to have a psychic type at some point, maybe espeon in gen 2 before other characters had eevee. The Unova thing was a complete mess, I don't even want to get into it too much, but Zorua would have been neat. I really liked his Hoenn and Sinnoh teams though and don't have many complaints there.

Honestly I think the Unova practice could have worked better if the Pokemon were rotated at Oak's lab instead, Juniper doesn't really have the same open expanses as Oak's lab does and thus the ability of the Pokemon to train themselves in the mean time. It's how I create an excuse for Ash's Unova performance anyway.

Though I will agree some Pokemon got a lot more focus that others, but few stories can truly balance characters well.

Johto
  • Cyndaquil -> Quilava. They seemed to be leading towards this during the League, why not actually go through with it at some point? It's not like they didn't have time at any point in the saga to do it.
  • Bayleef -> Meganium, maybe?
  • Ash with Espeon or Sneasel, please.

Sinnoh
Yes to rotation.
  • Give Ash that recurring Hippopotas. I thought they worked well together. Though having a fourth Ground type on the team might have been overkill, even if it would have focused more on the Ground typing more than the others ever did.
  • Gible was introduced too late to evolve, imo. I'd like to have seen if be caught way earlier, and then evolve into Gabite.
  • Ash getting a Riolu. Nothing sells games harder than ugly furries.
  • A Stunky would have been nice, with the unique typing and all. Same with Skorupi. These guys would totally be good gag-based Pokemon.
  • Maybe Rotom? That prankster Rotom would have been fun, and Ash could sure go for some Ghost types.

Unova
  • I really like Pidove's personality, but she was doomed from the start, with her unoriginal typing and lack of moves. Archen and Woobat would have been great choices and offer more variety. I'd also say Braviary, but I loved how Pidove was female when no one expected she would be.
  • Osahwott -> Dewott. I agree on it being built up so much. Halfway through the Region, Pignite stole its spot as one of Ash's mains. Oshawott had plenty of time to get a power-up evolution to catch up with Tepig and flesh out their "rivalry" a bit more. Plus it'd still be cute and marketable.
  • (Although I'd be fine if Oshawott didn't evolve, and kept the Joltik from that one episode to replace its Scalchop.)
  • I'm fine with Pignite not evolving, since it was still powerful and did well with what it had. But I still would have loved for it to evolve.
  • Boldore -> Gigalith. I think they missed a prime opportunity to have Trip and Ash temporarily trade their Boldore and Gurdurr.
  • Scraggy -> Scrafty. I get it, it's supposed to be Axew's little brother. But I definitely feel that Scraggy grew to be the stronger one by the 7th Gym Battle, and Scraggy wasn't the one to get lost all the time. This would do more to show how much it's grown, and hopefully have given a push for Axew to catch up with it.
  • Ash should have gotten the shiny Onix. It's not that great but I just wanted Ash to get another shiny after 23 years.
  • I was kind of hoping Ash would have caught that Venipede he saved back in Castelia City. I know the show had trouble with rotation, but it was a little cutie.
  • Lillipup, because of the line's heroic nature and ability to use the elemental fangs.
  • Dunsparce. Give Ash the Pokemon that's been eluding him. I remember people hoping for its capture back when it showed up in Da's opening.
  • A few Pokemon I would have liked Ash to have owned: Reuniclus, Bouffalant, Zoroa.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom