• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could rename any Pokémon, what would you call them?

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Suppose you could give a different name to a Pokémon whose name you disliked. What would you call it?

Personally I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some people with ideas.

One example I thought of when look of is Salamence. Salamence's pre-evolutions are called Bagon and Shelgon respectively, so it would have been logical to continue the trend with Salamence, since it is the one that flies. As for Flygon, though, something related to antlions or dragonflies.

I thought that Beedrill would be cooler and realistically correct with a name like Waspneedle, considering it is a wasp with needle for hands.

Thanks for reading.

I'd rename the unoriginal Japanese names (e.g. "Sleep", "Sleeper", "Freezer", "Thunder", and "Fire"). I'm sure I'd find some pretty hilarious names once I'm not too lazy to look through the Japanese names...

TALONFLAME

WHY. WHY?

Its Japanese name is decent (Fiarrow). Why not just carry that over?

I honestly don't know what I would rename it, but anything is better than Talonflame. Except maybe something like Hawkflame.

A dugong you ain't, Dewgong. Then again the localisation team were taking cues from the original name, which makes just as little sense.

Also, Feraligatr->Feraligator. Accursed 10 character limit...

Talonflame would be named Pyrogrine (pyro + peregrine falcon).

If Japanese names count, then: Booster, Thunders, Showers, Blacky, and Eifie.

Not because I dislike them or anything, but, for one thing Jolteon's sounds way too close to Zapdos' and it just seems weird that a random Pokemon would have a name sounding so close to a legendary Pokemon's or two Pokemon unrelated by evolution.

Secondly, every other language has the name end the same way for Eeveelutions except Japanese and Korean. They all had some individual quirks:

-er(s) suffix in Gen I
-"ee" sound suffix in Gen II
-ia suffix in Gen IV

...which is good until you get to Gen VI, which has the same -ia suffix as Gen IV. Because of that, I would just rename them all to have the -ia suffix. They probably wouldn't sound as good, and I'm not even sure if they would fit the Katakana character limit, but since they continued with the -ia suffix with Sylveon, might as well do that for all of them.

So: Boostia, Eifia, Blackia or Luckia, to go with Leafia, Glacia, and Ninfia. I would probably change Vaporeon's name altogether to something like Aquia.

I'd rename oshawott and all of his evolutions

The thread is about renaming Pokemon as you would like to call them. You fulfilled the first half of the purpose of this thread (the Pokemon to rename), but what about the names you would like to see?

A dugong you ain't, Dewgong. Then again the localisation team were taking cues from the original name, which makes just as little sense.

Also, Feraligatr->Feraligator. Accursed 10 character limit...

Ah yes, that's one example of a rename that is realistic at this point, because Generation 6 extended the character limit for Pokemon (presumably 6 in Japanese, 12 in others). Feraligator or Feralligator would be great, as with Victreebell.

Thanks for reading.

I'd rename Throh and Sawk. The majority of the Gen. V Pokémon names have grown on me, but those two still irritate me to no end. Here's what I'd name them:
Throh's based off of a judo expert, so it makes sense to include that in the name. So I'd rename it "Judak": a combination of "Judo" and "Attack."
Sawk's based off of karate, so... I'm drawing a blank. I've only ever been able to catch Throh, so I don't have much to go on.

And so Stunfisk was renamed, "Unholy Abomination!" :D

Just kidding, I'd probably rename Xerneas something closer to the source material in Nordic mythology; Maktdrasil? (Makt = Power in Norwegian, Drasil = End of Yggdrasil...?)

Seismitoad --> Amplitoad.

It continues the sound theme and is a pun and is better than "Seismitoad", which is an absolutely terrible name.

I've always preferred using "Wargle" over "Braviary". It just feels cleaner; Braviary's kind of cool but it feels like it's trying a little too hard to sound cool.

Switch Psyduck and Golduck. Psyduck is gold and Golduck has greater psychic powers than Psyduck.

Seel, the pinnacle of lazy Pokémon names. Change it to practically anything except Seal.

I'd probably rename Seel to something like Glaseal (glacier + seal) or Deerling to something like Florfawn (flora + fawn), Bloomdoe (bloom + doe) or something of that caliber.

I always thought "Muk" wasn't enough. Grimuk, however, appends a certain continuation.

As much as I love Gengar, I'd give it its French name: Ectoplasma. I mean, look at it.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom