• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could rewrite the Pokemon anime...

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
What would you do? How would you change it?
Would you have each Region have it's own Protagonist or have one person go through every Region?

I know. I know. This sort of thing has been asked multiple times over the years. I feel like there is more discussion potential.

Last edited:
So I don't want to rely too much on hindsight, so I can't add in characters before the game came up with them.

I think it's best to do a new protagonist for each region so they can have a full story before leaving on a high note, but Kanto is in an awkward position because it started late and won't get as much time as the others. I also think the Kanto league loss was very important from a writing standpoint (if not the exact execution), and since GS is a more direct sequel than other generations I think I'd keep Ash for it.
I'd made Ethan as one of Ash's companion, though. Once Crystal was released I'd see if I could do something with Lyra, too, but that may be too many companions+Pokémon so she may end up being just for a short arc. Wrap up TR in Johto, too--luckily Kanto being late means we probably know that TR is returning in it, so we'd keep Giovanni away from the protagonists in Kanto and have him defeated during Johto (not a great adaptation of the GSC rocket arc, but without the three year time skip I don't think that would work).

From there we'd use the game protagonists for each region; one could do Gym battles, the other that game's side activity (easy for gen 3 and 4, a bit tricky for some of the later ones). Try swapping it up so the female player does Gyms, too.

Next we have to figure out a way around the release schedules causing rushed finales. That's actually pretty tricky! I might be tempted to make sure the main arcs (Gym, evil team, and so on) are set to wrap up around the start of the third year (should be enough time--the games don't have that much story) and then use the spin-offs games, any useful post-game story, and when needed full filler arcs to bide time for the next gen. It's not ideal, but I think it's better than having to rush the big finale out (there's no real perfect answer to the scheduling issue). We could also use this time to have older series protagonists appear (I'd prefer them not to show up during the main arc to keep the focus on the current hero).

Tomorrow I might post some more specific ideas for some regions.

I'd do a lot more side story episodes.

For specific series, I'd make BW a direct followup to DP. Dawn would go to Unova with Ash (Unova has Contests in this version), Iris would initially be a rival and join up with them later, Ash doesn't lose his skills, TR don't get mangled, no annoying characterization or overemphasis on gags. The tone could be somewhat wackier than DP but nothing like the near-parody it was.

Why Kubfu (other than to promote the DLC)?
1. It promotes the DLC
2. Ash is the best person to follow its arc. It wouldn’t work now because Riolu makes it redundant.
3. Hopefully the writing team can see that the other Pokémon exist other than Lucario.
4. I wasn’t too keen on Lucario as a Pokemon anyways.

A lot of people, me included, want to replace Ash, at least after Kanto. But I wish his journey had ended with him winning the Sinnoh league, and having a 'new gen new protagonist'' format from Unova and so on. His story would have been fine if it ended in Sinnoh imo. Maybe a few tweaks here and there so the ending feels more complete. Would be a great finale and would still leave open doors for other characters to show up in later series.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ash. He's a great main character. But I can't deny it: it has been too long. We need new protags.

Maybe one of the of the game protags, or a character based upon them (like Ash was innitialy meant to be a Red before they made him into his own thing in the other series). Like, in Unova, could be Hilda/Rosa or a Hilda/Rosa-like character, then Kalos could be Calem, Alola could be Selene, so forth.

And they could even go in a manga-based version, with in one series the other protag is a rival, then a companion, and so on.

It would be nice to see different protags and how they react to different stuff, how they battle, different personalities, etc. Always keeping things fresh and fun

Kanto:
I would make Ash be on time, meaning Pikachu isn't a thing. His starter is Squirtle. Events happen differently. I would make Misty a rival, who is also doing a badgequest and the league, to show her sisters she isn't a pushover. Squirtle would help Ash catch a Pidgey on route 1. Then Pidgey helps him get a Caterpie in Viridian Forest. Squirtle and Ash beat Brock. Brock still becomes a travel companion. Butterfree still happens in Viridian Forest. Pidgey evolves against the Cerulean Gym Leader. Ash gets Bulbasaur and Charmander. He doesn't get the Squirtle Squad Squirtle. Instead, it goes to Brock (Who has four Pokemon now, since he still gets Zubat). Ash defeats Lt Surge with Charmander in a rematch. Brock catches a Kangaskhan in Rock Tunnel (He doesn't get Vulpix). Ash gets Cubone (Cubone replaces Krabby) after it being assaulted by Team Rocket (Team Rocket is still a thing, but in a lower capacity) in Lavender Town.
Ash wins the Celadon City gym badge, Bulbasaur evolves into Ivysaur against Erika's Tangela. Ash and Brock challenge the Fighting Dojo in Saffron and win (Pidgeotto and Zubat evolve). Ash gets Hitmonlee (Replacing Primeape) and Brock gets Hitmonchan. Charmander evolves against Sabrina in its and Ash third try against Kadabra. Ash gets challenged to a battle against Misty. Squirtle evolves, but still loses against her Golduck (Starting a rivalry between both Pokemon). The Power Plant still happens, but Ash doesn't get Muk, instead he gets Electabuzz, who is responsible for a power outage. Hitmonlee helps Ash defeat Koga. During some travel, Brocks Geodude evolves into Graveler after helping his trainer. Ash and Electabuzz defeat Blaines Magmar. Ash gets Tauros in the Safari Zone. Blaine has 2 Magmar and he gives one to Brock after one of his Magmar takes a liking to him. Ash defeats Giovanni with Butterfree, Pidgeot, Wartortle, Charmeleon and his newly evolved Venusaur (Evolved against Giovanni to take down Machamp). The events during the league, where Ash still loses against Ritchie (Although in the semi-finals) and Wartortle gets his win against Misty's Golduck during the Quarter final (Which is the beginning of the friendship between Ash, Brock and Misty).

Last edited:
Kanto
After Brock and Misty, I don't think he'd win another badge as a handout. Also, the gym battle episodes would have been much better if done today. I probably would have had Ash actually face Giovanni also rather than the TRio.

Johto
There's a lot I'd change. First of all, I'd cut a handful of filler episodes and fill them with episodes dedicated to Brock and Misty, Ash training his Pokemon, Gym Leader intros, and more rival related episodes. Speaking of rivals, I'd give more focus to Gary and Casey, giving Ash and Gary's rivalry battle more build up. Plus, I'd have him battle Casey a bit more and have her as a league rival. I'd probably introduce Jackson and Macy sooner also. I might take that one trainer with the Skarmory used to develop Cyndaquil a bit and build that into a rivalry so Ash could actually meet that trainer and face her in the first round of the Silver Conference. Lastly, I'd change up Ash's team a bit more. I would have had the Kanto starters take a back seat sooner. His team would end up as Pikachu, Noctowl, Meganium, Quilava, Heracross, and Espeon. Totodile would have gone to Misty and help develop her more as a Water type master.

Hoenn
There's not much I'd change. Hoenn is great, though I would have Wally be a rival for Ash in a similar manner to Sawyer where Ash is the one defeating him, only to lose to him before the league, then beat him at the league.

Sinnoh
This would be Ash's swan song. Here, it would be the culmination of everything he's learned, allowing Unova to be a true reboot. Not much would change, though some things such as Torterra's usefulness would change, and there wouldn't be as much of a gap between Ash's battles with Candice and Volkner. As for how things could change, I might have Dawn win the Grand Festival, allowing her to defeat Zoey. Plus, I'd actually give an episode or two more dedicated to the league, that way we can show off more of his older Pokemon and see more battles, like getting to see Quilava's battle or Snorlax's battle. Ash would still go on to battle and defeat Paul though things with Tobias would change. Tobias would have more build up and backstory before the battle, where Ash would actually beat him and give him the chance to take on the Champion's League and MAYBE Champion Cynthia.

Unova
Here would be the true reboot. We'd be following an entirely new trainer, though I'd still give them a Pikachu. I'd still have Ash show up on occasion to meet the new protagonist and maybe help them out. I'd still go with the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma plot and maybe keep the TRio around a bit longer. I probably would still stick with Cilan and Iris also. I'd make this protagonist lose to Virgil rather than Caneron also, then they go onto Kalos.

Kalos
I'd stick with the same protagonist from Unova, and probably have them also meet up with Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie. I'd give Clemont more to do in the second half of the series, and probably still keep Alain. I'd have the new protagonist beat Alain also in the league. I'd probably do more with Team Flare before the big finale also.

Alola
I'd probably give the SM series a new protagonist, going with the USUM male protagonist this time. I'd change things up just a little bit. I'd stick to the school element, though I'd give the Island Challenge significantly more importance. When it came time for a trial, I'd have the class stick around the island a bit more and do a bit more traveling to reach the next trial. I'd probably have more Team Skulls stuff going on and introduce Guzma a lot sooner. The Alola League would largely be the same also.

Galar
No Journeys this time. No Pokemon Go influence. No Goh and his uninteresting goal. Just Galar. All Galar.

Last edited:
I would essentially just make it like the Pokemon Adventures manga, in anime form. I've only read a handful of chapters from Adventures, but all of them have blown the anime out of the water. I like the idea of each region having a new set of protagonists, because it would prevent the kinds of plot holes and character inconsistencies that we've been talking about in the Worst Series Transition? thread.

The only change I'd make would be to tone down some of the darker plot elements of Adventures, to make it more suitable for the younger target audience. The storylines would still be a lot more deep and thought-provoking than in the real anime, but in a child-friendly way.

The Legend of Thunder is a good example of what an anime with new protagonists in each region could have been like.

I actually think that the only reason the writers have kept Ash around for so long is because of Pikachu. Even if each new protagonist had a Pikachu of their own, it wouldn't be the same Pikachu.

Last edited:
I'd prolly have Serena join Ash on his Alolan school semesters as a paraellel to Misty accompanying him to Johto of sorts, and add an arc about Zygard going to Alola during the Ultra Beast arc and taking Clemont and Bonnie along for the ride. A side effect would be an arc about Serena question the viability of any relationship with Ash given their divergent goals and Ash being more the nomadic type (ironically Alola is the one region where he stuck around the same place for an extended period).

For Journies, I'd just add a Honedge as the ghost type instead of Gengar, diversify things a bit.

Also may or may not have Ash catch Meloetta during Best Wishes, but that might run on iffy ground consdiering the latter kinda has a crush on him (not unprecedented, see Bayleef), and his Oshawott in turn has a crush on them. Another problem with this is that it might take some wind out of Melmetal's sails since it woudne't have the novelty of being Ash's first Mythical. Speaking of BW, I'd also add some more depth to the relationship with Zekrom that climaxes into Pikachu regaining their lost power and setting up for XY

Ash's Team Would Be:
Kanto
Charizard (New Starter)
Pikachu
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Pidgeot (Released)
Jolteon (Later Given to Delia)
Poliwrath
Nidoking
Lapras (Released)
Snorlax
Johto
Pikachu
Heracross
Bayleef
Quilava (Evolves Into Typhlosion In DP Leauge)
Politoed
Togetic (Evolves Into Togekiss In The XY Leauge)
Totodile (Caught In Whirl Islands)
Hoenn
Pikachu
Swelllow
Sceptile
Blaziken
Mudkip (Evolves Into Marshtomp In XY Leauge)
Corphish
Sinnoh
Pikachu
Staraptor
Ambipom (Evolves Before Trade)
Infernape (Caught Before Starly Evolves)
Torttera (Caught In Season 1 Final Episode)
Buizel
Luxray
Gabite (Evolves Against Dusknoir)
Unova
Pikachu
Charizard (Returns In Declore Islands Devolves In End Of BW)
Garchomp (Comes to Unova and Evolves)
Dewott
Pignite
Servine
Gigalith
Unpleasant
Gigalith
Leavanny
Seismitoad
Chandelure
Krookodile
XY
Mega Charizard X (Devolves Before Serena Kiss)
Pikachu
Ash-Greninja (Released)
Talonflame
Hawlucha
Goodra (Released)
XY Leauge Megas
Heracross
Pidgeot
Sceptile
Blaziken
Garchomp
Sun and Moon
Charmander (Doesn't Evolve)
Pikachu
Rowlet
Lycanroc (Dusk)
Incineroar
Naganadel (Released)
Melmetal
Journeys (Current)
Charizard
Pikachu
Rillaboom
Lucario
Raboot
Sobble
Dragonite
Gengar
Farfetch'd
Rookidee

This a repost but I felt like putting it on here:

I still think Ash's Kalos team could've been better.

Goodra and Noivern did close to nothing.

Talonflame wasn't bad, but it just didn't had a spec of personality. (like seriously, try to tell me a single personality trait that pokemon had. It barely had anything as a Fletchling and lost everything upon evolving. If only they kept it's emotional personality...)

Hawlucha was actually pretty good, and I think that it falls into that ''awkward space'' of Ash's pokemon where they do a lot of job for the team in and out of battle but they don't really get recognised cuz the ace of the team took all the spotlight away (it's together right there with Buizel to me)

p.s: I'm starting to think Dragonite is gonna enter this group too.

And Greninja... *sigh* I don't hate it and definitely it did it's job and was a pretty good ace, but I still think it hogged WAY too much time. Ash barely trained and interacted with his other pokemon because of it.

If I could re-do his team it would be:

-Pikachu (self-explanatory)

-Greninja (Just balance it out with the others this time)

-Talonflame (Give it more personality) // OR maybe that Litleo Ash helped on that one ep (still salty he did not get it. It would've been such a cool story about how it became stronger due to necessity, it fits Ash so well man)

-Noibat/Noivern would be caught a lot earlier, allowing it to develop more and would tie on the next Pokemon:

-Florges, being that one Floette that helped Noibat out. Not only wouldn't make it Ash's official first Fairy type (on the region that introduced it, oh how fitting), but C'MON, don't tell me it wouldn't be cute to see two of Ash's pokemon being a little couple together. It even fits the theme of ''romance'' and ''maturity'' that XY had. Besides being that ''impossible love'' between a Dragon and a Fairy, two typings said in the anime itself to not get along well (Romeo and Juliet vibes, anyone?). Sorry, I'm just a hopeless romantic, lol.

- And to end it, either Chespin (since it did not did anything with Clemont), or that one shiny Phantump Ash helped out.

Last edited:
Well first of all I'd never have talked about age directly. You don't need to outright say anything and it honestly caused more problems than it was worth.

I don't have a problem with keeping Ash. I'd probably aim to keep Alola more battle focused as I prefer battles to SoL antics. I'd add more plot to Johto (possibly with some Kanto-esc extra captures and Unova esc tournament arcs) and have more battles in the leagues with more episodes to them.

I would, however, like to offer some Journeys talk. I have no problem in of iteslf with its current format and like Dragonite/Gengar/Lucario (Farfetch'd needs a bit more before I say more). What I would do is

A: Have them be based in Pallet Town instead of the Cerise Institute. In my own fanfic works I have Professor Oak want captures for research and I never got fans on my case for Misty capturing Pokemon for her own goals and Oak so that should patch up Goh.

B: Introduce the W.C.S earlier. Not immediately, but perhaps after Goh's Bug spree.

C: More W.C.S battles. The Oak lab base will allow for more mon usage by Ash and the size of the competition means it wouldn't be particularly plot upending (it just takes him a bit longer to break through normal class)

D: Goh is still around, but he and Ash would get equal focus. He may also need to do a bit more to catch things.

What would you do? How would you change it?
Would you have each Region have it's own Protagonist or have one person go through every Region?

I know. I know. This sort of thing has been asked multiple times over the years. I feel like there is more discussion potential.

What I would do is have ash, come in to a normal game and be sort of like the third member i guess. For example in hoenn, instead of having just may, have the same sort of sequence that plays out in the beginning of the game play out but ash is there. I feel like brendans design fits hoenn a bit better then mays but i still think may should be a character. Also this solution doesnt automatically single out the female protagonist for being ashes companion, it makes it so both are there.

EP001:
Ash has Aura, Gary is a psychic, and Leaf is a ghost channeller.
Ash gets Charmander. Gary gets Squirtle. Leaf gets Venusaur. Ash already owns a Pichu and takes the house pet Eevee with him. He also gets a Riolu Egg that the Lucario Kingdom sent to Prof Oak. Gary already owns an Eevee and Leaf already owns a Cleffa.
The Pokédexes have Porygon in them.
No Spearow as they went after Gary's car after he caught one. Misty and her bike don't appear as Ash won't need it and can't ride it because Leaf is with him. Misty debuts in EP007 at her Gym.
EP002:
Ash and Leaf reach the Pokémon Centre to register for the League and rest their Pokémon after their mutual battle. Upon seeing Team Rocket and remembering the attack on Oak's Lab, Leaf shows she's protective towards Ash. They battle the thieves and the latter escape. The TRio gets interested in the Pokémon of the twerps.
EP003:
Ash catches Caterpie and Pidgey while Leaf catches Weedle. The battle with Team Rocket leads Caterpie to evolve into Metapod.
EP004:
Ash battles Samurai and easily wins with Charmander. Leaf struggles against him so Ash lends her Pidgey. After battling Team Rocket, Metapod evolves into Butterfree since they live evolves quickly. The Riolu Egg hatches and Riolu is the Aura Sphere Riolu. Leaf tells Ash that he needs a Pokémon strong against Rock to beat Brock, but Ash says he trusts his Pokémon. Dexter intervenes and tells him it would be a bag idea to go with Pokémon weak to Brock's and reminds him that his Pokémon are still inexperienced. Ash asks Dexter what to do and the latter tells him he can catch an Oddish in the forest. Ash finds one and catches it with Pidgey.

EP005:
Leaf easily wins with Bulbasaur. Flint tells Ash and Leaf about Brock and the two children have their Pokémon battle until Oddish learns Mega Drain. The next day, Ash wins with Oddish and Flint returns to his family, so Brock join Ash and Leaf.
EP006:
Brock catches a sick Zubat. After battling Team Rocket, Pichu evolves into Pikachu, Eevee evolved into Espeon, and Cleffa evolves into Clefairy. The Clefairy give Leaf a Moon Stone for her Clefairy as thanks.

Also, on EP001, Gold, Silver, and Crystal start their journey. Gold already has Aipom and gets Cyndaquil, Silver already has Sneasel and steals Totodile and a Pokédex, and Crystal already has Azurill and gets Chikorita.

EP007:
Ash beats Misty's Staryu and Horsea with Pikachu and Oddish while Leaf beats them with Bulbasaur. Misty joins the group.
EP008:
Ash beats A.J. with Oddish while Leaf beats him with Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur evolves into Ivysaur.

Hmmm.
Ash is full time protagonist. No if’s or buts. Not to say he doesn’t get the B plot, but he’s not being dropped.

A good bit of battle focus, contest focus, etc. We want to show all the things you can do with Pokémon, set it up as a place with millions of friends to make.
Emphasize the friends thing by having main characters pet and help their Pokémon. We contrast this with admittedly shallow villains who are more action figures than anything. Still ready to kill a man, but not much depth. They do it for money, cruelty etc. JJ&M are the exception, with a bit of focus on they just don’t get how evil works.
Make the entire series the fantasy kitchen sink to end all fantasy kitchen sinks. Ninjas, pirates, robots mad science, magic, the works. Most of this will be for the villains, who cyborgs or mages or ninjas or whatever.

Side stories where ash heads back to old stomping grounds to visit friends.

Keep Team Rocket, both the TRio and the organisation, interesting by doing a civil war. The old guard of the TRio, Cassidy and Baff Butch etc against Matori and her part of the organistation. Highlight the role of Team Rocket in the world and perhaps put Ash and his friends in a situation where they have to choose between two enemies or limit the damage of the crossfire.

For Brock and Misty, have them observe how different gym leaders operate so they get ideas for how to run the Pewter and Cerulean Gyms, maybe have their own connections with certain gym leaders. In some cases have Brock mentor younger gym leaders like how Flannery was new at the gym leader thing.

Last edited:
These are for DP only since it's what I've been watching right now:
- Make Paul less of a cringey edgelord. Make it fun to hate him at least.
- The TRio fantasies are embarrassing. They were funny the first few times around, but the gag got old extremely quick. Having them get genuinely excited on the prospect of Giovanni giving them money because he could sun bathe on a cloudy day or was cheered up by a bunch of babies, or whatever, is just weird. It makes their presence as villains and as gag characters clash way too much.
- On the TRio topic, if you *MUST* have them on every episode, having them appear shortly without getting in the way of the story of every episode just for a gag or something, would be significantly better than what we got. TRio centered episodes are pretty alright, though.
- Less CotDs.
- Have Ash and Hikari banter more in a friendly way. As it is right now, they are either unnecessarily antagonistic to each other or super duper nice.

That's what I can think for now, but I might have more if I keep watching.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom