• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could start with any non-legendary Pokémon (in its basic form, of course)...

Reaction score
...what would you want to start with? Like a Yellow Version kind of situation, except you're not forbidden from evolving it, and it doesn't necessarily have to hate being in its Poké Ball. I'm sure we've all thought about the idea of starting with something other than the traditional starters (that includes Pikachu and Eevee, of course), so if it were up to you, what would you want the professor to give you? Besides legendaries and evolved Pokémon, of course- no starting with Groudon or Politoed or anything like that.

Me, I've always liked the idea of starting with a Koffing. Weezing is my favorite Pokémon, so I'd just love to be able to have a Koffing as my starter in a game. That'd be incredible as far as I'm concerned.

Re: If you could start with any non-legendary Pokémon (in its basic form, of course).

Due to my favorite Pokemon being Vaporeon, I'd go with Eevee.

Re: If you could start with any non-legendary Pokémon (in its basic form, of course).

I'd go with Riolu. Though considering Friendship evo and Lucario's mega it might make things too easy.

Since it now has 3 more evolutions, another game with an Eevee starter would be interesting. Maybe it could be part of a new program where everyone gets the same starter... in an attempt to avoid fights over who gets which starter.

Definitely Gastly. For one thing, Gengar is my favorite Pokemon, and even Haunter can hold its own against plenty of fully-evolved mons.

Either Tyrunt or Armaura, since their evos are both pretty much my favorite Pokemon. Maybe Deino to have a three-stage line.

Murkrow, who was practically my starter in Diamond since someone stole Turtwig from me. (They traded him away without my consent.)

You gotta admit, starting out with a legendary such as Arceus would be hilarious.

"Hey, check out my amazing Ratatta! He's in the top percentage!!!!!"
"You don't know who you're dealing with."

Growlithe 'course! He evolves into a giant fire dog man! You can't get much better then that!

Budew as Roserade is my fave.

I'd take Vulpix.

Though I'm not a fan of fire types, I am a fan of Ninetales.

Agree with @Sir Jace; Vulpix would be a great starting companion.
I would have said Fennekin - but it's already a starter.

My next choice would be starting with Zorua or Purloin (or any of the other cats)

Swablu. Or Misdreavus.

Eevee or Togepi.

For my platinum run i literally did something like this. Only, i had three. Kricketot, Starly and Shinx were my 'unofficial starters' (with Bidoof for HMs) as i didn't want to rely too much on the other three actual starters. (I restarted and traded to get all three.)

If i could choose any though, i think it would be... Unown! LOL jk.

I really don't know, there are too many to choose from. Probably something really exotic though, like Sigilyph.

Hmm, I'd probably go with Frillish or Phantump? Maybe Litwick... definitely a ghost type, though!

Oooooh, I like this topic. I have several in mind. I'll keep out any actual starter Pokemon, of course!

If I had to pick only one single Pokemon right now, it would probably be Riolu or Eevee. Maybe even Phanpy (which I actually did in Omega Ruby. I bred a Phanpy Egg and sent it him over! He was like my unofficial starter!). But I like so many!

My top ten list of picks would be (in no particular order):

-Riolu
-Eevee
-Growlithe
-Bagon
-Trapinch
-Nidoran (M)
-Ralts
-Spheal
-Phanpy
-Larvitar

That's probably roughly about right for my top ten.

Honorable mentions:
Deino, Pidgey, Starly, Shinx, Buizel, Vulpix, Beldum, Zorua, Dratini, Axew, Pichu, and probably a few others I've missed XD

Last edited:

For me, it would be a draw between Ralts, Seviper, and Honedge, though, as evident by the planning documents of another small fanfiction series I'm working on, it would probably be Ralts.

Let's see, who would I pick?

It's a no-brainer: Golett. For all intents and purposes, the little guy ends up as my almost starter; I'll get one on my team as early as possible and at level 1.

But yeah, I'd pick a Golett. The only others that come anywhere close are Pawniard and Sawk.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom