• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you were commissioned to make a new type

GuyWood

Reaction score
If you were hired for the purpose of making one or more new types, could you make something? What types would you make and why? (Please try not to post that you don't want new types, I know most people don't)

For me, I would make Air for more celestial type Pokemon, and to avoid necessity of normal typing for something like a cloud. I would also make Light, because I think there are many ways this type could go. It could be more lanturn or sun related Pokemon, or be more linked to good spiritedness. I have more ideas, but these seem most able to have a unique type effectiveness chart.

If you were hired for the purpose of making one or more new types, could you make something? What types would you make and why? (Please try not to post that you don't want new types, I know most people don't)

For me, I would make Air for more celestial type Pokemon, and to avoid necessity of normal typing for something like a cloud. I would also make Light, because I think there are many ways this type could go. It could be more lanturn or sun related Pokemon, or be more linked to good spiritedness. I have more ideas, but these seem most able to have a unique type effectiveness chart.

Air= Flying
Light= Psychic Fighting Fire and Electric types....

Their won't be new types it's been ELEVEN years since Dark and Steel were revelaed. We don't need new types 17 is enough

Their won't be new types it's been ELEVEN years since Dark and Steel were revelaed. We don't need new types 17 is enough

Of course, but it's nice to think what could be a type.

Personally I think Light would be a bad idea, only because it would be cheesy.

I would think that maybe Bacteria could make for an interesting type.

Maybe this thread could be more of a "if you were a game developer in the days of RBGY then what types would you make?"

That would avoid haters more.

I'd have liked to see a typing for Pokemon that have celestial origins or inspiration, maybe called the Space or Star type? Quite a few already existing Pokemon could have it (Clefairy line, Staryu line, Ledian, Mew, Jirachi, Solrock and Lunatone, Deoxys, Palkia, Cresselia, Gothitelle line, Elgyem line, Arceus' default form), not to mention if it had been implemented there likely would have been others created as well. I'd see it being a rare, predominantly secondary typing with maybe just Clefable, Mew, Deoxys and Arceus being monotyped.
I can't for the life of me work out how it would fit into the pre-exisiting resistances and weaknesses chart though.

Troll-type. No weaknesses, resistances or immunities, and only has one attack, which has 250BP.

Troll-type. No weaknesses, resistances or immunities, and only has one attack, which has 250BP.

Wouldn't an attack that makes the game freeze and erases the last save file be more fitting? :3

What about a Sound type? There's certainly enough Music-inspired Pokemon and attacks for it to exist.

^^ Chatot?

Some people seem to think there is a Sound type, just check the "Overestimated Psychic Types" thread...

I'd have liked to see a typing for Pokemon that have celestial origins or inspiration, maybe called the Space or Star type? Quite a few already existing Pokemon could have it (Clefairy line, Staryu line, Ledian, Mew, Jirachi, Solrock and Lunatone, Deoxys, Palkia, Cresselia, Gothitelle line, Elgyem line, Arceus' default form), not to mention if it had been implemented there likely would have been others created as well. I'd see it being a rare, predominantly secondary typing with maybe just Clefable, Mew, Deoxys and Arceus being monotyped.
I can't for the life of me work out how it would fit into the pre-exisiting resistances and weaknesses chart though.

Thanks for the ACTUAL reply, you understood the point of the topic! :) Space is like my idea but sounds better than the word 'air'. As far as type effectiveness, I think flying could be supereffective, as well as electric, and not very effective could be ground and rock. It would be supereffective on flying in return and maybe psychic, and not very effective on water and/or ground. Just my thoughts though.

Air= Flying
Light= Psychic Fighting Fire and Electric types....

*Sigh* Sometimes it pays to take more than two seconds to read before posting like you know what you're talking about. :>

This is not my idea, but a Cyber-type would be a great idea. Some Pokémon who could have this type are:

Rotom
Porygon line

I've always thought about Wood as being an interesting parallel to Steel. Organic v Mineral.

Offense

x2 - Grass, Ground, Flying, Bug
x1 - Water, Electric, Dragon, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Normal, Fighting
x0.5 - Steel, Rock, Ice, Fire

Defensive

x2 - Steel, Ice, Fire, Fighting
x1 - Electric, Dragon, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Normal, Rock
x0.5 - Water, Grass, Ground, Flying, Bug

Not sure why, always thought it would be interesting to have more 'authentic' tree Pokemon. Yeah, it's similar to Ground, but I've always thought Ground/Rock were quite similar.

I've always thought about Wood as being an interesting parallel to Steel. Organic v Mineral.

Offense

Defensive

Not sure why, always thought it would be interesting to have more 'authentic' tree Pokemon. Yeah, it's similar to Ground, but I've always thought Ground/Rock were quite similar.

Yeah me too. Ever since I thought Sudowoodo was a wood type, I've wished there was, but could never distinguish it from rock or ground. But I think you did a good job.

This is not my idea, but a Cyber-type would be a great idea. Some Pokémon who could have this type are:

Rotom
Porygon line

Cyber type also sounds cool. There are many Pokemon I made who could be that type. They had no real type distinguishment, so they had to be normal.

Offense

Defensive

I'd have thought that a Wood-type would be weak to Bug-types. Bugs do tunnel into trees/wood, and cause it to rot, after all.

Wood wouldn't work... Grass already covers wood perfectly but Sound is cool not so sure on Space thouigh

"Tainted" or "Virus" type. Pretty much poison, but not as effective against the "organic" elements, and super-effective against Steel and Electric.

Think computer virus. Which I think I have, or else I would have gone to bed hours ago, instead of getting distracted by interesting boards while trying to do a paper for my colloquium. :p

"Tainted" or "Virus" type. Pretty much poison, but not as effective against the "organic" elements, and super-effective against Steel and Electric.

Think computer virus. Which I think I have, or else I would have gone to bed hours ago, instead of getting distracted by interesting boards while trying to do a paper for my colloquium. :p

Virus is way to Digimon so no...

Virus is way too Digimon so no...

And there's something wrong with that? Both are series about kids who raise monsters that turn into bigger, stronger monsters so they can beat other monsters to a bloody pulp. There's going to be some overlap.

Hell, you could call it the "Shadow" type and stick it in a spinoff where Cypher has perfected closing the hearts of Pokemon, and they've created all-new species with all-new abilities. Or something. I'm not feeling very creative at the moment.

And there's something wrong with that? Both are series about kids who raise monsters that turn into bigger, stronger monsters so they can beat other monsters to a bloody pulp. There's going to be some overlap.

Hell, you could call it the "Shadow" type and stick it in a spinoff where Cypher has perfected closing the hearts of Pokemon, and they've created all-new species with all-new abilities. Or something. I'm not feeling very creative at the moment.

It is a big problem then people will claim Pokemon ripped off of Digimon and things will go to hell... again I prefer the Digimon/Pokemon war not be restarted... and Shadow=Dark and they'll never do that...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom