• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you were commissioned to make a new type

It is a big problem then people will claim Pokemon ripped off of Digimon and things will go to hell... again I prefer the Digimon/Pokemon war not be restarted... and Shadow=Dark and they'll never do that...

Dark isn't "dark" in Japanese as far as I can remember... don't see why that's a problem. And I've never heard anyone complain about Pokemon being too similar to Digimon. Might as well complain that Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica copied Sailor Moon, or that Yu-Gi-Oh! is copying Card Captor Sakura. :\

And this is just a "what if" thread, anyways. I don't really expect any of my random ideas to become reality at any point.

Dark isn't "dark" in Japanese as far as I can remember... don't see why that's a problem. And I've never heard anyone complain about Pokemon being too similar to Digimon. Might as well complain that Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica copied Sailor Moon, or that Yu-Gi-Oh! is copying Card Captor Sakura. :\

And this is just a "what if" thread, anyways. I don't really expect any of my random ideas to become reality at any point.

Trust me back in the 90's people always said the ripped off of eachother... I like both series but Virus just no...

Dark isn't "dark" in Japanese as far as I can remember... don't see why that's a problem.
No, it's the "Evil" type, which sounds more or less exactly like the type you describe (i.e, one that corrupts).

I've always wondered why so few Pokemon based on microbes have been made (considering the popularity of microbe plushies XD), there's certainly a huge variety of them and making them macroscopic would be one of the more believable things the designers could do. Not sure if they'd have their own type, but it's possible (inb4 anyone says it's too much like the Poison type, most microbes aren't even pathogenic).

Trust me back in the 90's people always said the ripped off of eachother... I like both series but Virus just no...

Y'know, I was around in the 90's too. I remember... no wait, I don't. I think I blocked those years from my memory. :\

But like I said, it could be called whatever. I just think a "poison" for Steel types would be neat. Call it "Rust" or "Corrode" or whatnot. "Decay" sounds so... corny.

In all honesty, every time I think "Oh, hey, this thing could be cool!" I look at a type chart and realize it already exists. GF did a pretty bang-up job with their elements, y'know. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.

I've always thought about Wood as being an interesting parallel to Steel. Organic v Mineral.

Offense

x2 - Grass, Ground, Flying, Bug
x1 - Water, Electric, Dragon, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Normal, Fighting
x0.5 - Steel, Rock, Ice, Fire

Defensive

x2 - Steel, Ice, Fire, Fighting
x1 - Electric, Dragon, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Normal, Rock
x0.5 - Water, Grass, Ground, Flying, Bug

Not sure why, always thought it would be interesting to have more 'authentic' tree Pokemon. Yeah, it's similar to Ground, but I've always thought Ground/Rock were quite similar.

Huh, I really like this idea. I don't really want to see Grass with another weakness though.

Y'know, I was around in the 90's too. I remember... no wait, I don't. I think I blocked those years from my memory. :\

But like I said, it could be called whatever. I just think a "poison" for Steel types would be neat. Call it "Rust" or "Corrode" or whatnot. "Decay" sounds so... corny.

In all honesty, every time I think "Oh, hey, this thing could be cool!" I look at a type chart and realize it already exists. GF did a pretty bang-up job with their elements, y'know. It's pretty impressive when you think about it.

Yeah Light is pretty much covered by FIVE different types.. and people stll want it and I've seen a fakemon site with a 'Magic' type which is basicaly Psychic. and they did though Plant would've been better a name for Grass

and TFSpock Wood=Grass so...

As much as it is unlikely they would make another type I do believe it is possible.

For example there some types that are not linked to an element like Dark, Ghost and Dragon types. These types were made for the Pokemon's persona and appearance rather than an elemental type like Water, Electric etc.

So for arguments sake they could make a Spirit type, which wouldn't be like Ghost types because a Spirit is not necessarily a ghost.

I don't think they would come up with another elemental type, but they can always come up with types that represent the Pokemon's appearance, or persona.

and TFSpock Wood=Grass so...

Yeah, there are already certain similarities for wood like Grass and Ground but Ice and Water are pretty similar too; same element(s), different state, and I've always found Rock and Ground to be strikingly similar too. Whereas Grass and Wood would be similar in the game, they'd have different strengths and weaknesses. (And the more I think about it, the more someone on the previous page was right; take out Grass as a super effective offence and have Bug as a weakness; Grass is so poor defensively and this would totally ridicule it, and things like Woodlice love to live in rotten tree bark)

Or as a gimmick, what about Paper? Paper beats Rock, Steel Beats Paper, with Fire as an additional weakness. Hehe.

There's always been something in my mind about a 'Synthetic' type too. Not sure how it would fit into a type chart, but it would be for Pokemon like Porygon/2/Z and Rotom, but also for other Pokemon which (supposedly) 'evolved' from real world articles into Pokemon like Koffing/Weezing, Grimer/Muk, Trubbish/Garbador and Voltorb/Electrode, which to me, has always given them an element of artificialness and made them seem less organic. Perhaps Synthetic would be better as an abiliy. Synthetic Pokemon are immune to non-volatile status ailments, perhaps?

So for arguments sake they could make a Spirit type, which wouldn't be like Ghost types because a Spirit is not necessarily a ghost.

I always think about the Spirit Temple from Zelda when I hear it, and because the Spirit Temple is more ancient and egyptic, Spirit Type could focus on ancient ang egyptic Pokemon :b

i like the idea of space type which would be super effective against dark type and couldn't attack psychic type

The ??? type. Pokemons who do not belong to any other type.
I'd probly throw Arceus in there.

Yeah, there are already certain similarities for wood like Grass and Ground but Ice and Water are pretty similar too; same element(s), different state, and I've always found Rock and Ground to be strikingly similar too. Whereas Grass and Wood would be similar in the game, they'd have different strengths and weaknesses. (And the more I think about it, the more someone on the previous page was right; take out Grass as a super effective offence and have Bug as a weakness; Grass is so poor defensively and this would totally ridicule it, and things like Woodlice love to live in rotten tree bark)

Or as a gimmick, what about Paper? Paper beats Rock, Steel Beats Paper, with Fire as an additional weakness. Hehe.

There's always been something in my mind about a 'Synthetic' type too. Not sure how it would fit into a type chart, but it would be for Pokemon like Porygon/2/Z and Rotom, but also for other Pokemon which (supposedly) 'evolved' from real world articles into Pokemon like Koffing/Weezing, Grimer/Muk, Trubbish/Garbador and Voltorb/Electrode, which to me, has always given them an element of artificialness and made them seem less organic. Perhaps Synthetic would be better as an abiliy. Synthetic Pokemon are immune to non-volatile status ailments, perhaps?

Ice is often counted seperate from Water in most RPG games like FinalFantasy... Wood has nothing that can make it different from Grass and we have several tree mons and they are all grass. Grass=Plant type basiacly.

Rock and Ground have differnt looks

Any more new elemental types would either absolutely fit the description of the existing 17 types perfectly or be too narrow to be considered a type.
Light? Fire or Thunder.
Sound? WTF should we do to existing Pokemons like Kricketune, Chatot, etc???
Space or Time? WTF blahblah Dialga Palkia blahblahblah Giratina??

Nevermind what I said. It's too late to implement more new types now. What I hope would happen is to re-balance type weaknesses and strengths.

Ice is often counted seperate from Water in most RPG games like FinalFantasy... Wood has nothing that can make it different from Grass and we have several tree mons and they are all grass. Grass=Plant type basiacly.

Rock and Ground have differnt looks

*GASP* Somebody had an idea which is what this thread is all about. Call out the opinion busting police!! Oh well it's worth a good laugh so keep going. 'Basiacly'

*GASP* Somebody had an idea which is what this thread is all about. Call out the opinion busting police!! Oh well it's worth a good laugh so keep going. 'Basiacly'

Well Wood and Light are to damn redundent they are already frieken covered by several other tpes I admited the Sound type was cool at least because no current type really can cover it except for well.. Normal which is nonelemental

Well Wood and Light are to damn redundent they are already frieken covered by several other tpes I admited the Sound type was cool at least because no current type really can cover it except for well.. Normal which is nonelemental

THAT IS NOT the point of the thread! I do not work for them nor am I able to make a new type, so please stop bashing people who have IDEAS. This thread is THEORETICAL. It is for fun. I can not make you leave, but I am asking you to please stop telling people they are wrong for having an IMAGINATION. Look up 'for fun'. Please.

THAT IS NOT the point of the thread! I do not work for them nor am I able to make a new type, so please stop bashing people who have IDEAS. This thread is THEORETICAL. It is for fun. I can not make you leave, but I am asking you to please stop telling people they are wrong for having an IMAGINATION. Look up 'for fun'. Please.

That is not bashing, that is called discussing. It's actually a good thing; it fill threads with quality posts. Nobody wants to read a thread full of nonsense. If I had time to read the whole thread I make sure it is worth my time. This thread would be filled with absurd and unfunny ideas (no-fun) posted by uneducated weenies if not for active discussions. If you don't like your ideas to be debated on, you might as well not post in a discussion forum.

That is not bashing, that is called discussing. It's actually a good thing; it fill threads with quality posts. Nobody wants to read a thread full of nonsense. If I had time to read the whole thread I make sure it is worth my time. This thread would be filled with absurd and unfunny ideas (no-fun) posted by uneducated weenies if not for active discussions. If you don't like your ideas to be debated on, you might as well not post in a discussion forum.

No he told EVERYBODY they were wrong for suggesting a type which is WHAT this thread is about. It's nothing to do with the ideas I gave, I'm interested in OTHER ideas, hence why I asked. He doesn't like the PREMISE of the thread, so I suggest he finds one he likes. Discussion is give and take, not "YOU'RE WRONG"

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom