• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation If you were GameFreak

thatdude53

Reaction score
What would you change about any of the previous games? I don't think Diantha should have been a Champion! Or at least given her a different team. She was easily the easiest champion ever. However I do think that someone before her or after would have been better. If I were GF I would've not given Korrina so much emphasis on mega evolution. The tower and all of its lore would've stayed in tact, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it. Instead I would've made the first ancestor's of mega evolution's granddaughter the one who would've known, researched, and explained M.E. She would've been separate from Korrina, and helped the player throughout XY. Then it would've been revealed that she was the champion, but only recently because she figured out how to activate M.E. Her team would've consisted of the following:

Azumarill-water/fairy
Trevenant-grass/ghost
Heliolisk-normal/electric
Noivern-dragon/flying
Malamar-dark/psychic
(M)Lucario-fighting/steel

This team would represent the addition of the fairy types while also representing that some pokemon's type have been altered. The four Kalos pokemon all are pretty impressive with some unique combinations, and lastly mega Lucario represents their lore of mega evolution while also representing the ancestor of said evolution. If you had the chance, what would you change about any of the games, and why?

Oh so so much. I can't even think of it all. Here's a few off the top of my head:

- Make a pre-evolution to Kangaskhan that has existed since Gen I. Then when you hatch it in the succeeding generations, it actually makes sense.

- Fix the Nidorina/Nidoqueen breeding glitch(?) that has existed since Gen II. When it comes to breeding, Gamefreak apparently can't keep it together sometimes. They don't have the ability to breed, unlike Nidorino and Nidoking. I would make sure that they could.

- Introduce Z-moves BEFORE Mega Evolution so that the escalation seems more awesome and surprising. If it were up to me, Megas would be in Sun and Moon, and Z-moves would be X/Y. Because having Z-moves after Mega Evolution just seems like a let-down and doesn't seem like a natural progression at all. They would've been more effective and surprising before Megas, because we wouldn't have seen it coming. And Megas coming afterwards would still be pretty surprising because it would be like Z-moves, but even more awesome. Otherwise, at least to me, Z-moves fall pretty flat when you've had Pokemon with powered up forms introduced beforehand.

- A controversial one. I believe that Pokemon has too many redundant or otherwise poorly defined types. So I basically would've started Gen I off with Rock/Ground just being one type - Earth-type. And Water/Ice would also be one type, just Water. Yes, I know that would create a lot of weirdness with having to sort out what's resistant and supereffective. But it wouldn't be so weird if it were just there from the beginning, and could easily be sorted out. Also, Dragon-type just flatout wouldn't exist because I don't think it contributes much to the game other than being overpowered and it's really really narrow as to what a "dragon" actually constitutes. (A lot of "Dragon-types" don't even look like dragons. For instance, Goodra, Reshiram, Noivern, etc) This way, ill-defined (lore-wise) Fairy-type wouldn't need to be introduced to patch things up later on.

- Improve the overall story of X/Y. Like the OP, I do believe that Diantha was kind of a letdown. I would at least try to incorporate her more into the story, making her more significant alongside the Mega Evolution sideplot and show up to help you fight Team Flare on occasion. Or, here's a more interesting thought. She fights alongside you at first, but is swayed by Team Flare's philosophy and is afraid to lose her beauty. Then she BETRAYS you. What an interesting twist for a Pokemon plot, huh? Also, making Team Flare more serious and giving them less stupid outfits that actually represented the beauty they claim to preserve would help too.

Put a post game of Zygarde in XY with the forms and moves. Add Battle Frontier to ORAS. Don't introduce Fairy or not have them super effective and immune to Dragon types. Have more Sinnoh references that would point towards future remakes of DP.

I would have had a villain team leader be female already.

I've kicked around some ideas about plot tweaks for XY, even though I like those games and think that the story, while it is certainly not mind-blowingly amazing or anything, has more depth than it gets credit for. But I'm thinking back to the pre-release period, when I thought Mewtwo might be involved in the plot. What if it had been? I'm thinking, okay, Lysandre revives the ultimate weapon, and is using Xerneas/Yveltal to power it as usual. But after we catch Xerneas/Yveltal, what if it were revealed that Team Flare had engineered their own Mewtwo (Lysandre would have taken care of it in its early stages, causing it to imprint on Lysandre, establishing a bond between them), and by cross-referencing Sycamore's and your character's research on Mega Evolution with the ultimate weapon technology, had also manufactured a Mega Stone for it (explaining where that came from).

He then battles you with Mega Mewtwo X or Y depending on the version (I feel that, if they were to make you battle a 780 BST Pokémon as a required part of the story, then they should probably make it a little easier by offering a legendary Pokémon with a type advantage - Xerneas is effective against MMX, Yveltal is effective against MMY), and when he loses, he still activates the weapon and isn't seen again after that - but in the post-game, we can go to the Pokémon Village and find Mewtwo, and it is explained that Mewtwo saved him from the explosion due to their bond, but after having seen how far he would go, left him in the hopes that he would be able to change for the better (creating a parallel with Floette abandoning AZ after he used the weapon) and now wishes to travel with you for the time being because it saw the strength of the bond between you and and your own Pokémon.

These ideas are so great you guys. Unfortunately I have to go to work so I cannot respond until later, but seriously I love most of these ideas because they actually make sense!

Make Gym Leader rematches a permanent feature, from the very beginning of Gen I.

Also, make a Battle Frontier/PWT variant for each Generation.

Last edited:
Make Gym Leader rematches a permanent feature, from the very beginning of Gen I.

I am surprised that I didn't think of this, given how much I have ranted about it before. It would absolutely be a permanent feature were I to be put in charge.

Oh, and while I'm at it, rematch teams for the Kalos Elite Four, not necessarily in order:

Malva - Pyroar, Talonflame, Chandelure, Torkoal, Helioptile (w/Solar Power), Mega Houndoom
Siebold - Clawitzer, Barbaracle, Starmie, Quagsire, Kingdra, Mega Gyarados
Wikstrom - Klefki, Aegislash, Probopass, Ferrothorn, Steelix, Mega Scizor
Drasna - Dragalge, Noivern, Goodra, Altaria, Druddigon, Mega Charizard X (sorrynotsorry, only other choice was Mega Garchomp)

Last edited:
Gen 1:

- Make Rhyhorn be caught in the Rock Tunnel.
- Master Ball should be found in Pokemon Mansion not given in Silph Co.

Gen II

- More Areas to use Waterfall.
- More Pokemon to catch at Mt. Mortar.
- Kurt calls you when a Pokiacorn thing is made.
- Day Care calls you when there is an Egg.

Gen III

- More Water pokemon before Mauville.
- More items in the Abandoned Ship.
- Get Master Ball in Abandoned Ship.
- Customisation.

Gen IV

- More Pokemon in the Trophy Garden.
- Instead of one giant Pokemon Contest area. Make at least 4. Hearthome is still the biggest.
- More Pokemon for Amity Square.
- Customisation.

Gen V

- New friends.
- No N
- No riding on the Ferris Wheel with N.
- Linear Elite 4 instead of picking.
- Customisation.

Gen VI

- No Mega Evos
- Karen has blonde hair not bluish grey hair.

I don't really like getting forced into a story. Keep things simple in my case.

Last edited:
Also: no customization at all. PWT would give you experience points and not BP with all gymleaders/Champions set at level 60/70s (also Elite Four members included). Make the post game of ORAS where Mega Rayquaza has to stop both Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre (no longer version exclusives and not catchable in main story) while Deoxys is moved to Birth Island.

Re: the OP, I personally don't have any issue with Diantha being the Champion (or with her team; I think it's a decent lineup and it's got a Mega Gardevoir, which I love) nor with Korrina being the character for Mega Evolution exposition. My only criticism is that I think they could have done a bit more with Diantha as a character, although I'm not really sure how I would go about that. Helping you fight against Team Flare is an obvious choice, but you already get a lot of help from your friends against Team Flare, and that wouldn't really do anything to expand her character. In some ways, I think it would be somewhat redundant. @Arylett Charnoa's idea about her switching over to Team Flare's side in order to retain her youth is a very interesting thought, but where does it go after the villain climax? The way I'm picturing it, she isn't somebody like Malva who's smug and likes to revel in the "team spirit" of Team Flare, but rather, sides with them out of a personal weakness that manifests through an undercurrent of vanity. So after Team Flare is defeated, how can she justifiably remain the Champion? In order for her character to develop, she would have to acknowledge that weakness, and I think along with that would come an admission of unworthiness of the Championship. But you can't just not have a Champion, so somebody would have to take over for the time being. (I will say, that would be a cool red herring at any rate. Establishing Diantha as the Champion early on, like Alder, but then having her resign without ever getting a proper title fight against her, and the interim Champion becomes some surprise character.)

I don't think the replacement would be Sycamore, because he canonically sucks at battling and failed at Mega Evolution. AZ would be too random and has no motive to become the Champion anyway. I would say that they could just shift the villain plot to where it interrupts the League, but then that would just seem like a rehash of BW.

Re: the OP, I personally don't have any issue with Diantha being the Champion (or with her team; I think it's a decent lineup and it's got a Mega Gardevoir, which I love) nor with Korrina being the character for Mega Evolution exposition. My only criticism is that I think they could have done a bit more with Diantha as a character, although I'm not really sure how I would go about that. Helping you fight against Team Flare is an obvious choice, but you already get a lot of help from your friends against Team Flare, and that wouldn't really do anything to expand her character. In some ways, I think it would be somewhat redundant. @Arylett Charnoa's idea about her switching over to Team Flare's side in order to retain her youth is a very interesting thought, but where does it go after the villain climax? The way I'm picturing it, she isn't somebody like Malva who's smug and likes to revel in the "team spirit" of Team Flare, but rather, sides with them out of a personal weakness that manifests through an undercurrent of vanity. So after Team Flare is defeated, how can she justifiably remain the Champion? In order for her character to develop, she would have to acknowledge that weakness, and I think along with that would come an admission of unworthiness of the Championship. But you can't just not have a Champion, so somebody would have to take over for the time being. (I will say, that would be a cool red herring at any rate. Establishing Diantha as the Champion early on, like Alder, but then having her resign without ever getting a proper title fight against her, and the interim Champion becomes some surprise character.)

I don't think the replacement would be Sycamore, because he canonically sucks at battling and failed at Mega Evolution. AZ would be too random and has no motive to become the Champion anyway. I would say that they could just shift the villain plot to where it interrupts the League, but then that would just seem like a rehash of BW.

You make many valid points my friend. I just feel personally that she as a character and especially as a champion were completely flat. Also her team were complete pushovers. It provided me no difficulty whatsoever! Every champion before her provided at least somewhat of a challenge, and also provided moments of insight, clarity, and participated during the main story.

Blue was our equal rival, Lance helped the player take down Neo T.R . , and regained his status as champion, Steven was the first champion interested in other things besides being the best like minerals and stones which are now primarily mega stones, he also showed great maturity in stepping down, which leads to Wallace assuming his position as a former gym leader promoted to champion status, a first at that time. They both participated in the story, and generally cared about both pokemon and human beings.

Cynthia was the first female champion who also researched many different things even mythical legends and also is still argumentatively the strongest and best champion. Then we have Alder who not only is a sensitive champion, but we learn he is that way because he lost his partner pokemon to death and eventually was defeated and replaced by Iris who survived the wilderness, raised by an older dragon type gym leader, becomes a gym leader, and eventually succeeded as the champion of Unova.

Then we have Diantha who is friends with Sycamore and also an actress. That's pathetic IMO, and thought surely it would have been altered or at least added to in a sequel or third version, but that's another topic. Rant over lol!

Last edited:
If I were GameFreak:
  • The following Pokémon feature would've been in every game from HGSS on (and can be turned off and you can choose the Pokémon that walks behind you yourself).
  • Every game from HGSS on would have HGSS style music.
  • Customization would've been in the games waaaay earlier. And Pokémon would be customizable by now too.
  • Seals would've stayed (and improved).
  • There would be more female Professors and female Evil Team Leaders.
  • The girl PC would get as much attention as the male (in promotion material, being playable in the demo, battling Leaf in HGSS, etc.)
  • A lot of the redesigns in ORAS would've been different, especially May's (and especially that contest outfit).
  • The friend group in X/Y would be entirely replaced with less and better friends/rivals.
  • No forced 'romance' (Shauna in X/Y, the opposite gender PC in ORAS, ugh).
  • IV's would never have been introduced.
  • Mega Evolution would never have been introduced.
  • Binacle and Barbaracle would never have been introduced.
  • I could go one forever so I shall just stop here I think :p

*i would make 6 moves instead of 4 OR add one or two slots just for the HMs. with that, it would allow more status moves (for players like me who only use attack type moves) and/or not force you to give up on a good move just to pass through a freaking bush
*make evasion something controled... i dunno, pressing L or R at the right moment, with it being easier the faster you pkm is
*make criticals a bit less random: choose a move => press a little command called USE CRITICAL => your chance of landing one is increased a bit, but the less AP and the more you use it in a row, the smaller the bonus becomes
*each route, city and town having their own unique BGM (outside of battles, of course). i imagine this is a bit complicated due to technical limitations, but still...

Lot's of hindsight here, but...

Gen I:

-The Safari Mechanics of catching Pokemon would never have existed, here and other future generations.

Gen II:

-The Pokedex sightings for the Legendary Beasts would have been given to you at a certain point in the game, and become a standard to use in Gen III traveling Pokemon.
-More Ghost and Dragon Type Pokemon would have been introduced in the Pokedex.
-The Level-up curve in the postgame would be improved drastically.

Gen III:

-Reusable TM's and the Bottomless Bag would have been implemented at this particular point.

Gen IV:

-The Exp. Share Item would be upgraded in the post game to the way it works right now.
-The Battle Pyramid from last generation would reappear here and become standard, with upgrades for every other Generation.

Gen V:

-Walking Pokemon from the last generation would become standard here and every other generation after.
-The Battle Factory would never have been taken out, and would become a standard in all games.

Gen VI:

-The trainer battling format would default to Double Battles as standard for every generation to come.
-The postgame content of hidden areas and expanded regions would remain a tradition, much like Gen's IV-V.

and especially that contest outfit

Oh yes. Burn that awful thing into nothingness. Or at the very least, give Brendan an equally garish Pop Star outfit... actually, come to think of it, why can't we do that anyway? Choose from five coordinated outfits for each Contest category, I mean. It's like, how the hell am I supposed to coordinate Rock Star Brendan with Pikachu, Ph. D.? Giving them five outfits each would also allow this to happen, and that's just too f*cking cool.

I'd change a bit about ORAS despite them being great game in their own right:
First, I'd add a modified version of Emerald's Battle Frontier instead of the lackluster Battle Resort. In particular, I'd make the following changes to the Emerald Battle Facilities:
  • Do a complete overhaul of the Battle Palace: disobedience has a change of happening if you make a poor decision in move choice, and it would be the only facility to allow Amie boosts, even for the opponents
  • Change the Battle Tower to focus on Inverse Battles for all standard battle formats (singles, doubles, triples, and rotations)
  • Add Unova's Wonder Launcher to the Battle Dome to set it apart from the previously implemented PWT
  • Keep the Battle Maison along with the Battle Frontier, and make it so that beating at least one of the Battle Chatelaines is required before gaining access to the rest of the Battle Frontier
  • The rest of the Facilities will work how they did in Emerald
The main story is an overall improvement from RSE, but could still have a few things polished up
  • Add Zinnia to the main story, and have you fight both Team Magma and Team Aqua in both games, thought the main focus would still be Team Magma in OR and Team Aqua in AS.
  • Both Groudon and Kyogre awaken. As such, the Magma and Aqua Hideouts would be the ones from Emerald.
  • When the two Hoenn legend duke it out in their Primal Reversion states, they cause a unique weather effect acting like Acid Rain glitch in Gen IV.
  • The key to stopping both Primals would be to awaken Rayquaza the first time, and meeting Zinnia at the top. Unfortunately, Rayqaza cannot Mega Evolove at the time, meaning while it successfully stops Groudon and Kyogre from fighting, the version mascot refusing to go into slumber and instead retreats into the Cave of Origin. This keeps Groudon and Kyogre version exclusive.
  • After all is said and done, Zinnia will act confused as to why Rayquaza's power didn't fully emerge, leading up to the post-game Delta Episode.
Content-wise, here's what I'd put:
  • Have five different Contest Halls, one for each category instead of by rank like in Ruby and Sapphire:
    • Slateport City - Tough Contests
    • Verdanturf Town - Cute Contests
    • Fallarbor Town - Clever Contests
    • Lilycove City - Beauty Contests
    • Mossdeep City - Cool Contests
  • Replace the Game Corner with the Joyful Game Corner from FRLG and Emerald.
  • The Mirage Spots would be given some lore tying them to the Eon Duo, thus explaining why you need the Eon Flute to even access them. By extension, this would also tie them to Hoopa, which would make for an interesting scenario for legendaries three generations apart end up connecting somehow.
  • Thundurus and Tornadus would roam around Hoenn and be encountered how Groudon and Kyogre were in Emerald.
  • Heatran would be encountered in the Magma Hideout instead of the Scorched Slab, and the Scorched Slab would contain a Volcarona with its Hidden Ability.
  • Juan would be the Sootopolis Gym Leader, leaving Steven and Wallace version exclusive Champions. You'd fight Steven in OR and Wallace in AS.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to think of everything, but I can certainly think of a few things off the top of my head:

-The Day/Night feature of G/S/C would have never been removed from R/S/E and it wouldn't have changed after then. In other words, it would still effect when Pokemon appear.
-The female protagonist would always get equal treatment to the male one. There would have been some interaction in HG/SS that determined whether you faced Leaf or Red. The same goes for the PWT in Black 2/White 2.
-This over-the-top generation I favoritism would not be tolerated by me. Alola would have a fair number of Alolan variations from all generations. (To be honest, if I were in control, GVII would take place in a Europe-like location instead of Hawaii - perhaps even one based off Norway or something unique. But that's just my opinion)
-I'd make HMs a separate entity from the moveset altogether. You teach them an HM, and they can do that, but it doesn't appear in their moveset.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to think of everything, but I can certainly think of a few things off the top of my head:

-The Day/Night feature of G/S/C would have never been removed from R/S/E and it wouldn't have changed after then. In other words, it would still effect when Pokemon appear.
-The female protagonist would always get equal treatment to the male one. There would have been some interaction in HG/SS that determined whether you faced Leaf or Red. The same goes for the PWT in Black 2/White 2.
-This over-the-top generation I favoritism would not be tolerated by me. Alola would have a fair number of Alolan variations from all generations. (To be honest, if I were in control, GVII would take place in a Europe-like location instead of Hawaii - perhaps even one based off Norway or something unique. But that's just my opinion)
-I'd make HMs a separate entity from the moveset altogether. You teach them an HM, and they can do that, but it doesn't appear in their moveset.
Agreed with all but the last one because Surf and Waterfall are genuinely good moves. I see too many people forgetting about them when they express wishes like that with HMs (fifth move slot for HM moves only = facing Belly Drum Azumarill with Waterfall and three other attacks).

Agreed with all but the last one because Surf and Waterfall are genuinely good moves. I see too many people forgetting about them when they express wishes like that with HMs (fifth move slot for HM moves only = facing Belly Drum Azumarill with Waterfall and three other attacks).

I would hate to see Surf go away as a move. They could easily create another move with the same stats to make up for losing it. That or they could make HMs being used as moves as optional. "Do you want to teach this as a move to the Pokemon, too?"

Sadly, I don't think they'd see that happy medium and it will probably go one way (HMs take up a move slot) or the other (HMs are no longer moves).

I would hate to see Surf go away as a move. They could easily create another move with the same stats to make up for losing it. That or they could make HMs being used as moves as optional. "Do you want to teach this as a move to the Pokemon, too?"

Sadly, I don't think they'd see that happy medium and it will probably go one way (HMs take up a move slot) or the other (HMs are no longer moves).
Should it go the other way, I'd hope to see the moves remain available in TMs 101-105+ for Gen VII onwards.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom