• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you were in charge of the show what would you change?

I can think of few technical writing things I'd change:

• More consequences for failure, e.g. if Ash doesn't win a gym battle he doesn't get a second chance at that gym. Combine that with more deadline pressure for greater narrative tension.
  • Better story narrative in battles. Every battle must have stakes and must be extension of the story, not just a flashy show of moves. The outcome should have a more profound effect on the participants.
  • A bit more conflict in the main group. Personalities should clash as well as compliment each other.
  • Much more focus on the regions to bring the world to life. Every region should feel distinctive, both geographically and culturally.
  • No one-off characters that people will forget. If filler is necessary, use the characters that already exist instead of new, discardable ones.
On a more general basis:

• Multiple protagonists that can be cycled through so we're not following Ash all the time. This could be older characters who left the show as well.
  • Crazier filler episodes - crank up the humour and weirdness, OS style
  • Either scrap evil teams altogether or give them closer, personal ties to the main cast so their stories mean more

Aha wouldn't be a main character.
There would be many of them:
* Brock (most important character), Misty, May, Gary, Max, Dawn, Tracey, TRio
* Dawn's and May's adventures in Johto
* Life of Misty in Cerulean
* Development of Max- his Life in Petalburg
* Brock's medical career and Love problems ( without Croagunk )
* Gary- self- confident talented pokemon trainer just like in OS
*TRio (both TRios- also Cassidy and Butch) . James with Cannes, Weezing and Mimey, Jessie with Arbok, Wobbuffet...
* The most important thing- show would be more like comedy- more gags.

What I would personally change for XY&Z

*Have Ash act warily and closed off from Clemont, Bonnie and Serena during the beginning of XY&Z after the way Cilan and Iris ditched him and focus more on his self-doubts, distrust and uncertainty. Showing the cynical side of Ash through his journey through Kalos and learning how to re-open up again.

*Keep Sycamore with his backbone and show off more his intelligence, while battling alongside the gang against Lysandre and his goons (as well as the side characters too!)

*Ash having a full six on six battle during his journey through Kalos against gym leaders and at least having the Kalos Elites show up in the series and do something.

*Had Team Flare appearing earlier showing off their comedic and insidious sides.

Have Greninja get sent to Professor Oak's lab. And if there wil be an Alola league, add back all of Ash's old Pokémon.

I used to play *whichever Gen 2 game I owned* with Chikorita (because I loved it but also) because battling ???'s Typhlosion on Victory Road rocked my fudging world. I have always been in the Typhlosion4Ash camp!

I used to play *whichever Gen 2 game I owned* with Chikorita (because I loved it but also) because battling ???'s Typhlosion on Victory Road rocked my fudging world. I have always been in the Typhlosion4Ash camp!

I always dreamed that they'd call Ash's older Pokemon in the Kalos league (like the rest of the even numbered leagues) and have Quilava evolve there (continuing the 'gag' of Cyndaquil evolving every 2 regions), and take a step further and give Ash mega Typhlosion for generation 8!

I'd personally see Quilava again, and hopefully have it evolve once more.
Cyndaquil's evolution is something I waited MANY years to see but when it finally happened, they wasted the potential in his first battle against a trainer. They barely showed Quilava in action and had him tie. Quilava needs redemption and someday an evolution.

The executives would fire me because they are only interested in marketing and not a good story.

* Ash would have caught a Legendary (Latias would have followed him after M05 as it was probably originally intended).
* Ash's Pokémon wouldn't be rotting in a lab for the rest of their lives.
* Ash would have won the Sinnoh League but lost to the E4. These guys are tough and not even Latias would be enough.
* Ash would become Kalos Champion.
* N would be Ash's rival in BW. He would challenge his ideals about owning Pokémon. N would see the truth in what Ash is saying and have some Pokémon at the end.
* Dawn would stay more in Unova. At least till the Meloetta arc ends.
* There would be more continuity. There would also be more specials and follow-ups on older characters.
* Serena would probably be Ash's rival in XY, but that wouldn't negate AmourShipping. Maybe it would still happen. Maybe Dawn would go to Kalos for Contests. Serena could be a second Nando.
* Iris would still be able to understand what Dragons are feeling. She would enter tournaments. Some years after becoming Gym Leader, she becomes Champion to follow the games.
* Gary would probably not change goals. It looked like he gave up after Ash beat him. Maybe he becomes Kanto Champion when Ash becomes Kalos Champion. He would also appear more in Johto.
* The mystery with Ho-Oh would be solved in Johto.
* Misty would stay in Hoenn and Wallace Would take interest in her.
(There are more stuff but I am forgetting them).

At the end of XY, Palermo asks Serena to go to Alola instead of Hoenn. This is kept secret from the viewers. Everything else proceeds as normal. SM proceeds as per normal too except at the end of episode 2, the closing scene shows Serena doing art with Illima and Mina in another classroom. Hau is also in this class.

Episode 3, Ash and Serena will bump into each other during lunch break or something to the horrors of both parties. They're both flustered, shy and embarrassed. Serena explains that she has been in Alola ever since they parted ways in Kalos. Palermo advised her to make her way to Alola to learn more about performance since Alola is a region that is rich in art, song and dance (YES WE ARE GOING TO MAKE HULA A HUGE THING IN MY AU) and that she has already found herself an Oricorio.

The rest of the season will proceed as usual with Serena's class making occasional appearances. Serena's class will be posited as the class that's better at the arts. Ash still hangs out primarily with his current classmates. Ash and Serena don't meet unless there is some inter-class activities like excursions, a sports meet or something. A subplot would be Lillie, Mallow and Lana finding out about Ash and Serena's ~*Kalos Kiss*~ and teasing them about it. They could also tease Serena about how she ran away from home just to be with Ash. (This is something that must be addressed!! We can't go around telling little girls that it's ok to throw away everything just so they can hang around their crush.) Another subplot would be Hau confiding in Ash due to him feeling left out as compared to his more artistically inclined classmates, they both eventually bond over eating. Lillie and Serena will also bond.

Eventually, they will all graduate and the trial captains will go on to be trial captains and Ash, Serena, Hau and Lillie would go on an adventure together. This would be the second season of Sun Moon. Ash and Hau will do the island trial together but their motivations defer. Serena does the island trial too because she wants to learn more about Z-moves and how she can use them for performances (she still wants to be Kalos Queen). Meanwhile she will also take part in Alola's equivalent of performances. Lillie pretends that she wants to take part in performances too but she is really just on the run because she busted Cosmog out of her mother's lab and needs to run for her life.

--

I'm not sure how I would change XY since I already really liked it.

Have Serena start her quest earlier, maybe around episode 20, and give more variety to the various Showcases, so that they won't look like low budget Contests.

Have Clemont work more on his courage mission and have him trying harder to help people and Pokémon alike with his technology.

Give some more screen time to Bonnie and have her interact more with Ash. Also, more interactions between Serena and Clemont.

I really like these ideas. I think 5 performances for Serena would be better. Maybe Ash and Bonnie can interact when say Bonnie wants to do something with Clemont but Clemont won't have any of it since he's too afraid. Ash then steps up to stand in for Clemont?

For XY amourshipping wouldn't exist at all and Serena would become a sky battler by episode 20, and her starter Pokemon would be Fletching and not Fennekin. Her personality would be similar to mirror Serena and she would get a full team. She would also finish all of her battles, either win or lose, without any interruptions or call offs. Ash would keep his personality from BW. Bonnie wouldn't travel with the group. Clemont would do more with his inventions. Serena would be the one that bonds with the Zygarde core. Team Rocket wouldn't exist in this series.

I liked performer Serena so I'm not ok with making her a sky battler. I liked Serena cause she didn't care too much about battling and I think that is important for showing how battling isn't everything. There was an episode where they tried flying and I thought it was very fun. She could have a sky battle with Ash then and to make it interesting, maybe she can win Ash in that battle. Ash would have to lend her one flying Pokemon though since she has none.

I also think that there is something important about Bonnie bonding with Zygarde and how it emphasizes the innocence of children and how powerful it can be so I wouldn't change that either.

* Serena would probably be Ash's rival in XY, but that wouldn't negate AmourShipping. Maybe it would still happen. Maybe Dawn would go to Kalos for Contests. Serena could be a second Nando.

Serena being Ash's rival would be in interesting but I don't know if it makes sense since she started off idolizing Ash and not even in the way that that (annoying) lil green hair boy did. She just really wanted to be with Ash because of "love".

Dawn being in Kalos would be great though. I love Dawn and would love seeing more of her and Piplup since Piplup was my favourite Pokemon before Popplio happened. Maybe Dawn can replace Miette? And be like hey you might be hanging out with Ash now but I've hanged out with him in the past too. Also she could go into performance kind of cocky, thinking that her experience with contests would give her an edge but her losing made her learn more about the difference between contests and performances

out of any of the series DP was by far the best for me I would use that for inspiration and push it even further in terms of the characters being three dimensional but make sure all of the characters are given enough screen time and big and somewhat serious storylines

I want it to be:
Aimed for teenagers
It has fansevice
The protagonist is Ash and Serena's child
Team Rocket are still the main villains
Dubbed by funimation
Retain all original BGM in the dub
Use a lot of elements from Romantic movies and non-Pokemon material
Shinji Miyazaki still doing the musical score and his old music from the first five series and first 13 movies being used as well

Would you all agree? Why?

It might take way too long to describe absolutely everything, (especially since I'd rather get to writing the story I want), but I'll try to keep it brief.

Serena would become the primary protagonist, though Satoshi would still be deuteragonist. JAPANESE NAMES ONLY. The two of them and several other major humans would all be teenagers. Romance would be overt and prominent. All major Pokémon in the series (those owned by major Trainers) have names and all human characters get surnames. (Ex.: Fokko is Brigitte, while Pikachu is Kiba.) There would be several storylines at once all connected to a central conflict with continuity and time passage (similar to ASOIAF/GOT but with far less mature content and not as many lines, though people and Pokémon WILL die). The setting can change at a moment's notice, but I'll try to put a good reason for it. It is more maturely-oriented, but only to about TV-PG levels.

I would have few limits for an English voice pool, except they should be at least willing to work in Los Angeles (or send work there) and not be incapable of performing (like Tim Curry) or dead (like Bob Papenbrook). I already have a cast set in mind for just about everyone. The Pokémon may have two voices, one of which is only heard when their speech is translated so the audience can understand (or when characters who can communicate with them directly do so). My only request for the seiyuu: Miyu Irino voices Satoshi. Other than that, Japan can do as they like for their voices.

Last edited:
Except for Ash and Stephan's battle, everything about the Unova League. It's like they couldn't be bothered by then. Especially that mindless filler episode when Axew got lost for the eleventy quadrillionth bleedin' time.
I mean... Heck, even Misty's Togepi never did this. As far as my knowledge goes anyway.

This is a topic that I don't even know where to start at. I'd probably change numerous things :-
1. I'd mix up results of leagues where he'd win some then lose some to keep unpredictability while keeping Ash as a growing trainer.
2. While Ash being the main protagonist, I would have kept on Brock showing his growth into a top breeder/doctor and probably kept on Serena after XY. Showing two different versions of growth alongside Ash would have been cool to me.
3. More callbacks to previous companions within each series just showing them each trying to complete their own goals (whether they are in the same region or a small special showing other interactions).
4. For the actual leagues, Ash would bring back his strongest Pokemon for varying battles while giving ample time to his current region Pokemon.
5. I would have slowly aged Ash throughout the series as well (maybe a year for every three series or so). It would not change the appeal to anyone while showing small change which I think most would appreciate. Ash could ideally be a Pokemon trainer till he's 50 ffs.
6. Team Rocket would be a bit more successful in terms of taking down other evil organizations and have stronger Pokemon while keeping some quirks.
7. Romance wise (as someone who likes Ash and Serena), I'd give it a natural growth throughout numerous regions as Ash's main goal is always Pokemon but he learns to have more than just one outlook on life which at least would show that all his near death battles and experiences actually impacts his decisions. Feels like after each happens he just forgets that he was the focal point of saving the world numerous times which imo is a huge oversight.

A lot more things actually can be said seeing as I have something for nearly every ex-companion (even Iris) but that'll go really far lol.

I would have slowly aged Ash throughout the series as well (maybe a year for every three series or so). It would not change the appeal to anyone while showing small change which I think most would appreciate. Ash could ideally be a Pokemon trainer till he's 50 ffs.

Ash would be 17 by your logic and the target audience is 10 (unless you want to change the target audience) and it would be very difficult for them to relate to Ash, to say the least. And I highly doubt any parents would like their children to watch romance (unless again, you decide to change the target audience).

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom