• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves translated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves transla

That's right lol,

Grass eater would've been sufficient at least.
Just...why sap sipper

why.
As much as I agree with you, it sounds a lot more like what he was saying below,
I'm going to venture that the reason it's not "Herbivore" or "Herbivorous" is because that's going to make it sound like your critter plans, or at least wants, to eat that Victreebel outright. That might not be the sort of thing NoA wants to imply (despite the difference between normative plants on the one hand, and Victreebel and other plant-like Fair Folk on the other).

Re: IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves transla

I'm pretty sure Sap Sipper is probably an euphemism for oral sex...and if it's not, it should be.

For that kind of subtext, think about that clip from the anime where Oak talks about Heracross sucking sap from his trees.

Can't find the clip, Google's being an ass.

Bonus: find an anagram for "subtext".

For that kind of subtext, think about that clip from the anime where Oak talks about Heracross sucking sap from his trees.

EDIT-I get it.

Also, sap sipper sucks.

Really?

Couldn't it be called vegan?

Last edited:

oh i see what it is o_O

I c wut u did thar!

Isn't this a little off topic?

Not loving the names of the abilities, especially Sap Sipper. I fully expect threads that say, "LOL isn't it funny that Marill and Deerling can have Sap Sipper but not Heracross. LOLOLOLOLOL."
All because of an inaccurate english name. Can't wait.

Bahaha. :p

Okay, I give up.....

In one edition of a Scrabble puzzle, the scrambled word "subtext" was mixed up as "ubttexs". Now do you have it?
*edit* Never mind.

Also, sap sipper sucks.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

lol buttsecks

*ahem*

Part of me wants to point out that IGN isn't an official source and that they probably just pulled these supposed English names from the list. But if that's the case, why would they also give names for moves and abilities? The only explanation is that they do in fact have all the English names, and since their names match the ones from the list, the list is pretty much guaranteed to be real. Which is good, because I do like alot of the names from it.

lol buttsecks

*ahem*

Part of me wants to point out that IGN isn't an official source and that they probably just pulled these supposed English names from the list. But if that's the case, why would they also give names for moves and abilities? The only explanation is that they do in fact have all the English names, and since their names match the ones from the list, the list is pretty much guaranteed to be real. Which is good, because I do like alot of the names from it.

Wrong. They get it from Nintendo themselves. And, IGN isn't going to waste time faking screenshots to get POKEMON fans of all people happy.

IGN doesn't even really like Pokemon from what I've seen.

I didn't even notice the screenshots.:p

Besides, I pointed out in that same post that the names are most likely real.

I didn't even notice the screenshots.:p

Besides, I pointed out in that same post that the names are most likely real.

lol I know you did, but even implying that kinda defeated the purpose. IGN is as official as the official Nintendo Magazines. They get their stuff from the companies and all that. In fact, the first 9 they revealed were put up on the official Pokemon website a few hours after IGN posted them

At this point, the leaked list, the only way some of them aren't true, is if an NOA employee decided to troll the fandom.

Wrong. They get it from Nintendo themselves. And, IGN isn't going to waste time faking screenshots to get POKEMON fans of all people happy.
Given IGN's relationship with companies, I'm pretty sure faking screenshots would get them in pretty big trouble.

At least that seems like a rule I'd expect them to have to follow...

Given IGN's relationship with companies, I'm pretty sure faking screenshots would get them in pretty big trouble.

At least that seems like a rule I'd expect them to have to follow...

Which is why I said they're just as official as an Official Nintendo Magazine or the official Pokemon website.

So IGN is an official source, people.

I know I'm just rehashing arguments that have already been made, but "Sap Sipper?" Really? I can't think of any context where any animal would eat or drink tree sap.

WTF?

Which is why I said they're just as official as an Official Nintendo Magazine or the official Pokemon website.
I was just backing you up. :)

I can't think of any context where any animal would eat or drink tree sap.
Insects.

And people who like waffles...since syrup is made from sap.

"Sap sipper" seems like some weird fetish...

Hurricane is win.

I know I'm just rehashing arguments that have already been made, but "Sap Sipper?" Really? I can't think of any context where any animal would eat or drink tree sap.

WTF?

Humans and maple syrup? And as already mentioned, insects, but as a Pokémon example, Heracross.

But Herbivore would have been better considering that its more intuitive.

The image of a buffaron sipping viscous fluid from a tree is a strange image.

Sadly, a google search turns up nothing.

Humans and maple syrup? And as already mentioned, insects, but as a Pokémon example, Heracross.

I guess these are both possible inspirations for the name, but it's still as weird as fuck.

But Herbivore would have been better considering that its more intuitive.

That makes a lot more sense, especially in the context they're looking for. And it's not as if they haven't used big words before (chlorophyll). I wonder what the impetus behind their decision is here.

I guess these are both possible inspirations for the name, but it's still as weird as fuck.

That makes a lot more sense, especially in the context they're looking for. And it's not as if they haven't used big words before (chlorophyll). I wonder what the impetus behind their decision is here.

Name changes for the sake of name changes, even though a direct translation not only fits their character limit, but is actually better. Best not to think too much about what they have in mind. Though for every bad name they make, they do choose good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom