• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves translated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves transla

Sap Sipper. I really have no idea what that means. Herbivore sounds much better...

Re: IGN reveals more English Black and White names: Pokémon, abilities, moves transla

Sap Sipper brings to mind Heracross, Munchlax, and Combee - not Deerling.

Sap Sipper? What the fuck?! Really...was herbivore too complicated of a word for 6 year olds or something?

I COMPLETELY AGREE with you, man. 'Herbivore' is NOT too complicated of a word for 6 year olds, it's just that those Nintendo Of America FAGGOTS love to insult the intelligence of children.

There is a genuine problem to be had with Sap sipper, because it has really little to do with herbivores, which was a better and wider definition and wouldn't have had problems with down the line like we do with Sap sipper...

Goddamn it NoA.

Yeah, Nintendo Of America are FAGGOTS. 'Herbivore' is better than this 'Sap Sipper' FAGGOTRY.

Sap Sipper makes less sense in context because this makes more moves useless by effect make less sense. Grasswhistle is already affected by the abilities's horrid effects (when it doesn't have to, being a sound move and all), and now it sounds weird that powder moves are rendered useless.

Thanks for reading.

You guys gotta remember that Pokemon, even though its enjoyed by people of all ages, is still made for with the kiddies in mind. Sap Sipper sounds cute and fun, whereas Herbivore is too methodical and boring.

I'm pretty sure Sap Sipper is probably an euphemism for oral sex...and if it's not, it should be.

I'll never get this out of my head...

You know, until it was pointed out, I didn't notice the thing about Reshiram, but now I can't get that out of my head either...

It's gonna be a long/fun generation...

Sap Sipper is a bit odd. I prefer Herbivore, but the name Sap Sipper will grow on me. The other names are fine.

Sap Sipper... lol

I like it. Its priceless. :D

Yet another name to be the butt of many jokes for years to come
NoA has got to be doing this on purpose

Yet another name to be the butt of many jokes for years to come
NoA has got to be doing this on purpose
Of course they are. They want it to sound funny so kids will remember it.

So the list is truly real. That means Emboar is the true name. D8 Baaaaaah. I know it's basically the same thing in Japanese, but Bulbapedia insists it's spelled "Enbuoh", and I agree. OTL Oh, well...that's what nicknames are for.

And Hurricane. Sounds much more awesome than "Windstorm". I like.

Finally, why are people making a big deal out of "Sap Sipper"? What this says makes sense:

I'm going to venture that the reason it's not "Herbivore" or "Herbivorous" is because that's going to make it sound like your critter plans, or at least wants, to eat that Victreebel outright. That might not be the sort of thing NoA wants to imply (despite the difference between normative plants on the one hand, and Victreebel and other plant-like Fair Folk on the other).

I know that's what I thought of Herbivore.

Bulbapedia says "Enbouh" because that is the only officially released name for that Pokémon. As per standard and tradition, the wiki will update with English names once they are fully confirmed. I don't think most casual browsers understand the intense effort (both in terms of human labor and server processing) that goes into renaming and relinking 200-odd articles. It's not that we're lazy, it's that we're cautious - especially if the unofficial source we copy from has a typo.

*takes off tired admin hat*

Absolutely loving Sap Sipper. Well, not the name itself. More so the reaction to it. I swear some of the higher-up Nintendo employees try and think up names with the sole intent of getting the fandom wild.

You guys gotta remember that Pokemon, even though its enjoyed by people of all ages, is still made for with the kiddies in mind. Sap Sipper sounds cute and fun, whereas Herbivore is too methodical and boring.

Agree. Sap Sipper is a much better name than 'Herbivore'.

HATERS GONNA HATE

HURRICANE! YEAAHHH!!!

Now to sit and wait to hear what Purgatory will become.

I guess sap sipper could have been worse, like Sap Guzzler or something

SPYS SAP SIPPIN' MAH SENTRY!

Sap sipper? What the firetruck?

Sap Sipper brings to mind Heracross, Munchlax, and Combee - not Deerling.
The bad thing is that beetles and bears aren't herbivores. I guess they don't want it to look like Pokemon are actually eating grass types. This reminds me of how people used to wonder why Chatot couldn't learn Metronome, despite the fact its Japanese name is Wag Finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom