• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'm a little worried about Pokémon Bank.

TouyaShiro

[LIMITER] [DISC] [SAVE] [SYSTEM ERROR]
Reaction score
The wording on the official site says this about transfers.
Once Pokémon Bank has been updated, you'll be able to use it to transfer Pokémon you've caught in the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow into your copy of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon. Pokémon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y can also be brought into Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon in the same way.
I swear, if this means that Game Freak are making one-way transfers a thing again... I'll be flipping my computer desk. Which is not easily flipped.

Edit: I should have clarified what I meant by this. ORAS introduced forms, items and moves not present in the data of the original game, and they prevent the Pokémon from going to XY if they're programmed with a move from ORAS (among other things like the Kalos Rule). I worry that they won't take full advantage of the technology and stick to their word of making Bank compatible with Pokémon and its future by not allowing us to transfer compatible Pokémon back towards the previous games when Sun & Moon are finally released.

Last edited:
It's to avoid the Time Capsule issue, I think. They don't want to have pokemon with new moves trying to get sent backwards.

I'd rather have all my Pokemon on the latest version anyway, but that's just me. Once they go forward I'm unlikely to want them to go backwards.

I guess completing that living dex in XY was worth it since I'll only need to catch the new critters in SM to complete the Pokedex :p

"Bringing back"? But they never left...

I guess completing that living dex in XY was worth it since I'll only need to catch the new critters in SM to complete the Pokedex :p

Working on this right now, myself. :)

Has it ever been possible to trade Pokés from a new generation back to an older one? It will have new Pokémon and probably new moves, so it's quite logical you won't be able to trade them back, right? And why do you want to?

^The real worrisome part is the Virtual Console Pokémon. You know, like Missingno's army of glitchmons. I sure hope they'll have a way to prevent the latter from being transferred, but some of them evolve into actual Pokémon with illegal moves, so...
And yes, that Machamp with Fissure AND No Guard is very worrisome. They should probably make No Guard have zero effect on OHKO moves.

It's to avoid the Time Capsule issue, I think. They don't want to have pokemon with new moves trying to get sent backwards.
I probably should've been a bit clearer above in my initial post. Did ORAS not introduce new forms and moves not programmed into the data of XY? I consider that already to be a way that they've gone through a pseudo-generation that you could still send the respective Pokémon back to should they forget the incompatible moves.
Has it ever been possible to trade Pokés from a new generation back to an older one? It will have new Pokémon and probably new moves, so it's quite logical you won't be able to trade them back, right? And why do you want to?
Not the new Pokes, the old ones which still retain compatibility with Pokémon Bank and games they are present in. Once again, I should have clarified what I meant. I'll put it up on the top post.

I just feel like it'd be wasteful to not allow us to do that. I mean, the Bank is compatible with all those games, is it not? If it's because a move is present that isn't available in the other games, or obviously a new Pokémon not programmed into XYORAS, I think it makes sense that way, but if you remove all those factors just to have them unable to be pulled even though the moveset is 100% compatible just sounds dumb to me.

Edit: This is with the assumption that the battle and stat formula does not change radically between them. Only if that happens will I be accepting of the incompatibility... Not that I want it to happen in the first place.

Last edited:
Its a new generation--why wouldn't there be one-way transfers?

Though I'd imagine that ORAS and XY can still transfer between each other. If not, then that would be...typically Game Freak.

Given that R/B/Y VC & Sun/Moon are not directly compatible, but can work together via Bank, I'd say it's that they just want people's attention focused on the newest games they have coming out, rather than previous gens. It's the same situation as the OR/AS mega evolutions not appearing in X/Y, except this is on a more subtle level. As a business I can see why they'd do it, even if it is kinda lame.

All they need to do is prevent sending pokemon into XYORAS that have moves/etc. that they can't have in those games. Full capability of transferring Pokemon back and forth, and it just stops you if you try to put the wrong Pokemon into the wrong game. If you wanna send it back, just delete the move or whatever. I see no problem here.

Well, there is a simple way to avoid problems. If there is a Pokemon that cannot go to the new games and a new Pokemon that cannot go into the older games, they can just make the game refuse to let those ones through like they did with ORAS not letting Pokemon with certain items and moves not go through with XY and ORAS. I really dislike the idea of using PokeBank. They don't let people transfer Hacked Pokemon. Some people just like to hack Pokemon to use in game, not online. It is fun to use them. Sure, there is a problem with hackers online battling but most legit players know how to wipe them out.

I really hope they let us have another free period for Bank, or this is going to be problematic......

I;m a bit caught up in my misgivings around Zygarde to even turn an eye towards what this means for the bank. But this post caught my eye.
^The real worrisome part is the Virtual Console Pokémon. You know, like Missingno's army of glitchmons. I sure hope they'll have a way to prevent the latter from being transferred, but some of them evolve into actual Pokémon with illegal moves, so...
And yes, that Machamp with Fissure AND No Guard is very worrisome. They should probably make No Guard have zero effect on OHKO moves.
Any normal person would indeed alter No Guard in Sun/Moon following this revelation. It doesn't matter that Flying types/Levitators/Shedinja laugh at this, it's still a big deal for everything else.

Transferring from R/B/Y is one thing, but the thing I am concerned about is the fact that there were no genders or abilities in the Gen 1 games, so how would that be handled in the Gen 7 games, since a LOT has changed since Gen 1. Granted they likely have a way of doing it, it's just bugging me right now.

One thing I do like about this is that we can transfer from Gens V to VII directly, without playing a bunch of minigames, lol...

Transferring from R/B/Y is one thing, but the thing I am concerned about is the fact that there were no genders or abilities in the Gen 1 games, so how would that be handled in the Gen 7 games, since a LOT has changed since Gen 1. Granted they likely have a way of doing it, it's just bugging me right now.

Genders and abilities could be chosen at random when the transfer is done, and since there's no going back, there won't be an issue of Pokemon "losing" them when getting transferred back. The biggest issue I see with it is translating Stat Experience to EVs. Stat Exp was a completely different system where all 5 (yes, 5) stats could be maxed out, as opposed to the two stats you can max with EVs. My thinking is that Stat Exp will be wiped out and your pokemon will have to start over with 0 EVs across the board.

Any normal person would indeed alter No Guard in Sun/Moon following this revelation. It doesn't matter that Flying types/Levitators/Shedinja laugh at this, it's still a big deal for everything else.
You *did* forget about Sturdy, too. I'm not sure whether people remember that it used to only prevent OHKO moves (and still does even with its added Focus Sash capability). Still, I can see your concern. I'm sure it'll tide over, though, either something about No Guard or OHKO moves will change or the transferred mons simply won't get No Guard at all and they'll all get Guts. Game Freak seems like the kind of company that would do that.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom