• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'm caught in-between two very strong Ships

Srebak

Reaction score
For a long time now, I've always been a Pokeshipper through and through. Not sure what the exact reason for this was, but, i have to admit; the hints used to support this ship were rather valid in their own way. Also, Misty does have a few traits that would make her a great love interest for Ash;

1. She's tough, meaning that she can keep Ash in line when need be

2. When push comes to shove, she's always there for Ash

3. They're both battlers at their core

and

4. Ash's Pokemon like her, so, there's that too

However, Misty does also have a trait that makes her a poor match for Ash as well; Some of the things she's said to him really felt a bit harsh, below the belt and a tad uncalled for.

May and Dawn didn't really jive with Ash enough to make them potential love interests in my opinion. Not even the Ash/Dawn high fives felt like enough. Though, i will admit, there were times when i fantasized Ash being with both girls, if only to see how i felt about it. But, it really feels to me like Ash's relationships with both May and Dawn were pretty much platonic in nature, at least in my opinion.

Ash and Iris as a couple? (Scoff) I didn't see those to as love interests for each other for a second. I saw very little chemistry between the two and Iris came off as way too annoying and condescending to me. Even Bianca or Georgia would have been better choices compared to Iris.

But now, Amourshipping definitely poses a real threat to Pokeshipping. The concept "knowing each other since an early age" alone already sounds like the makings of a true love story. Plus, the fact that, this time, the female companion's crush on Ash is clarified makes it even harder to deny as a strong possibility. Also, Serena does have a few things going for her that weren't going with Misty;

1. Ash has by no means harmed her in any real way; he didn't destroy her bike, he didn't criticize her on anything, he didn't throw a Pokeball at her. Nearly everything that happens between is positive for them both and Serena pretty much started being on terms with Ash right off the bat.

2. Ash really seems to connect with her more than he seemed to with Misty

3. Serena has hardly said anything negative about Ash. She's only argued with him once so far, and as for the times she "scolded" him; from where i stood, those barely counted as scoldings at all. I can only remember at least 5 times she's "scolded" him; The first appearance of Diantha, the two episodes that had riding Pokemon as a theme, that episode where Serena was making a Pokemon video and the TalonFlame/Moltres episode. And, as i said before, those barely felt like scoldings at all.

A. Yes she was somewhat getting Ash's case when they met Diantha, but, she seemed more like she was just trying to keep him informed and to keep from sounding rude. I barely heard any harshness in her tone.

B. She only got upset with Ash in the Rhyhorn racing episode because it seemed like he wasn't paying any attention to her, and all she did was pout about it without saying a word to Ash.

C. In the Skidoo riding episode, from where i stand, she was only stating a simple fact when Ash brought up how he started riding a Rhyhorn right off the back. I barely heard any scolding in her tone that time too.

D. All Serena said was that she was covered in soot, it was Fennekin that angrily lashed out not her.

and

E. When Serena called Ash reckless for jumping over lava to save Talonflame, it really sounded like she was saying it in a "That was a close call" kind of way. There was virtually no harsh lecturing in her tone

Bottom line; it feels like i'm a fan of both ships, yet that does pose a problem. I once wrote a fanfic based around Ash and Misty, and now i'm turning my back on it? Ash and Serena seem really well done and i'm trying to say that a ship between two characters who were constantly arguing was better?

I feel so conflicted!

Does it really matter? You can ship both. This isn't a competition.

People have shipped Ash with more than one female companion for years, this is no different than any other time in the fandom. You don't have to pick one or the other.

You can never ship more than one! Shipping heresy I say!!!

Pick Pokeshipping.

As the others above have stated, multishipping is an option, and it frees many doors. Maybe you dislike the idea of multishipping, or it does not suit your preferences, but in the case where you have two shippings you like equally, it may save you a lot of grief. Shippings can rely on hints for popularity/ an incentive to ship it, but at the end of the day, your choice to ship something is a subjective and personal decision.

Ash and Iris as a couple? (Scoff)

Also, just to say that while you are allowed to dislike a ship and express this view, please be more considerate toward other shippers in your expression. People on this site do ship NegaiShipping (Ash/Iris) and they make take offence at this line.

I just want to clarify that that is absolutely the opposite of what I stated but it's nice to know that words are meaningless! :p

Ah my apologies, I just meant the one above you actually, but my phrasing was poor; sorry again.

as others said, multiship is the best idea. I think Misty and Serena are the only ones who showed explicit love interest in ash, and have the "sparkle".

Serena is growing as a character, she's nice but I parcitularly prefer Misty, because i think her personality fits Ash more... Ash needs someone with a more tomboysih personality, and a girl that's a full pokemon trainer.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom