• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'm considering shutting down the chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O_O Misty, we need the chat. I think it's the last thing that BMG has that keeps activity alive. (The forums here do that too, but...yeah it's the forums. :p)

We just need to get more people active, and stay active and become regular members. Maybe we need a gimmick to get people in, and have people stay. The chat needs more of a community (besides the small one that we have now.) We need a new wave of people to come in, and start up chat activity.

All in all, I do not want the chat to go away, as it's something that keeps me active on chat. We just need ideas and incentives to get some people in.

the chats are rarely very popular and are usually ran for convienince or as another way for the users to hook up and talk.. there will always be those that won't or can't go.. and those that only go to the chat. dunno..

perhaps some sort of promotion or contest held in the chat but advertised on BMGf can help bring in more users and so on.. the key is to tie it into to BMG without turning it into an AOL-fest.

Don't close it =/

It may not get the most activity, but last I checked... you enjoyed talking to your mismatched amount of people in there.

Why stop now?

And if you did close it...
What chat could I hate on?!

Misty, I can see where you are coming from as most of the users in BMGc are not from the actual forum. And the few users that actually are from here, are either very active (as yourself and Kasumi are) or they just sit in the channel and idle.

I will support any decision that you make, but know BMGc is the true essence in which I remain around BMG and support it in a hole. Since that is really where you have the most interactiveness with the people who really make BMG what it is today.

Perhaps if it wasn't just sex talk, people would chat. Thats just my 2 cents.

Well, I kinda wished I had caught this. One ofthe children in the house had to be rushed to the hospital tonight, so I had to logoff without warning. I am wondering what has suddenly prompted this change of heart.

1.So far, a lot of the "mismatched group of people" are already posting, with exception of Sunain, who has her own channel. This is a good sign that you have a good amount of people form the chat here. And just watch this thread for a few days.

2.What are the alternative for pokemon fans searching for a chatting experience without so many restrictions/limitations? There are not as many channels of this sort with ops who are accepting. I started out in [HASHTAG]#pocketmonsters[/HASHTAG] about half a year ago, and when asking if there was a chat that was not-so-g rated, I was told about your channel. I liked the fact that BMGc was community where a person could chat freely, and make friends. To this date, I have made quite a few very good friends through the chat.

3.Non-pokemon fans? Last time I checked, most of the people who I have seen chatting in the channel either play the games or watch the anime. Some do both. Then there are people like me who like to watch the anime, and love to collect pikachu plushies! But yeah, some people don't care much for pokemon anymore, but you will find former-fans in almost every fan-community you go to (for example, I stay on several music messsage boards even though I am no longer a die-hard fan. Partially because I still have friends on the boards, and mostly because I have video/rare recordings to share with current fans who might have a hard time finding them).

4.Too Much Sex Talk: I do agree... there is sometimes too much sex chat there. But, as you have said, the people who complain about stuff of that sort usually only chat for like a minute or two and then leave and/or idle. I propose that you set a rule maybe, that chat should be rated PG-13. This gives most chat very few limitations, but at the same time keeps anything overtly sexual down to a minimum. I also suggest that there be a "sibling channel" for the BMGc where you can politely suggest that any sexual-related chat be taken. Something like [HASHTAG]#bulbagardenMA[/HASHTAG] (you know, mature audiences). If a chatter doesn't take the polite suggestion to move the chat elsewhere, then a kick and/or ban is in order, depending on how sever the infraction is.

5.I won't speak for anyone else, but I did not come to [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG] because it was YOUR channel. I already told the reason why I came in number 2.

6.Promotions and such: This might be an interesting idea, but what could be given away. I would say that this might be something to throw around in the chat with the current chatters. We might be able to get an idea of something to do.

In Conclusion: You are not able to be in the chat all the time right now... you are home for the summer. I say that you shouldn't worry so much about these things and concentrate on spending some time with your family. They love you, and you seem to need a little bit of a break. I am sure that there are some people in the chat who would love to help you out for the time being, at least until you are back in school. Kasumi doesn't seem to mind her op duties, and Dratini927 also seems to have no problem helping you out right now. And also, don't forget about TSS_Killer. He seems always ready and willing to help you keep the channel from getting out of control. How many times have I told you not to be a pessimist(sp?)? This is not the Misty I know, and if you really give some thought as to what I have said here, as well as to what everyone else who has already posted, and will soon post, you will realise that you would be very wrong to shut down the channel. Also, where would you go to chat? Huh???

(a sidenote: I'm oldschool, so I have seen a lot... and this is what I have gathered over the years. A webpage with a forum and a chat is like this: Everything related to the site's topic is usually discussed in the forum. The chatroom/channel is usually where the people who are on the forum get to know each other better, and talk about life, interests, and just have fun. That is what a chatroom is usually like. So, it makes more sense that I was just discussing computer related topics with Eevee1 in [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG] a minute ago instead of discussing Pokemon. That is just how it goes. People who share interests in a forum just want to chat and have some fun.)

Last edited:
My big problem is that the chat sort of developed itself into being extremely inclusive. I don't feel welcomed there, period--and I'm an admin here. That means something's broken. You have your few people who basically have this insular wall of chat. If you could be a little more open--this means talking about things which a lot more people feel comfortable with, so it isn't not talking about sex, it's talking about things other than sex. That, I think, is the first step in getting people on your side.

Aside from the weird-assed Pokemon sex nonsense a while ago - which spawned from the similarly disturbing 'sexiest Pokemon' topic on this forum anyway, I haven't seen any sex talk in BMG other than the occasional joking reference.

Hardly on level with Pichus >_>....

Don't close the channel :(. I know I'm not as active any more, but that's pretty much because I'm usually a lot busier now. Closing it would mean I wouldn't have it to go to when I'm not busy - and since it's a pretty unique channel, i'd be a saaaaaaad paaaanda.... :(.

As a result, my hard work as created a bizarre hodgepodge of users who are in no way, shape, or form a community - they're just random people who, for the most part, come because it's MY channel, and my wide variety of contacts has formed [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG], which ultimately has nothing to do with BMG itself - hell, numerous people there don't even LIKE Pokemon (or so they claim).

Have you ever thought that the reason why people don't come is because they don't like you? I remember hearing that in a past Bulbacast ep where one of the guys on it says the reason why people don't go is because of that reason.

And how many channels have we been banned from, TK? And you know what? People really like Misty! I mean really really like Misty! So, yeah... once again, I must ask, how many channels have you been banned from lately?

Misty, don't close down BMGc. It is a place for us to relax, get to know each other better, just hang out. We go across many borders to get to know others. Don't take that away from us.

TK n Happy Ness said:
Have you ever thought that the reason why people don't come is because they don't like you? I remember hearing that in a past Bulbacast ep where one of the guys on it says the reason why people don't go is because of that reason.
And yet you moan that all girls are sluts and all that and fail to realise that maybe the problem is you? Awfully hypocritical

Anyway, dont shut it down Misty...I dont wanna find another chat to talk to people who dont want to know how to get "deocksys"

Why close down a channel because of one person's actions? My question to you is why can't someone else take over the channel's leadership duties? In any case, here's my resume:

1. I've been around Dejatoons since Sept. of 2004, so I know the network quite well.

2. I'm on more channels than most people (27), including half-op in the network's help channel.

3. I deliver justice where it's needed (multiple occasions on #PM, and a few times on BMG)

4. I run the largest non-help/non-serving/non-Pokemon channel on that network, with an average of 30 users, so I'm no stranger when it comes to services operation.

5. My style of running a channel is lay down a simple set of rules, and kick out the persistant rule breakers.

6. I'm basically always around my machine when logged on, even though it may not seem like it. Eg. I only talk when something interesting is going on.

7. I'm actually a pretty lenient person in terms of giving people second chances. For example, if someone breaks a rule, I will let it slide for the first offense. As I said before, if that person becomes persistant, that user will be removed from the channel. IMO, this attitude has helped me improve my reputation on the network.

And there it is...something to consider for a moment before you close the channel down.

TK n Happy Ness said:
Have you ever thought that the reason is because they don't like you?
You'd be the one with most experience with people not liking them, wouldn't you? X)

Anyways, keep it, Misty. I don't get a chance to go on much but I go when I can.

Nothing wrong with a dead channel, just keep it for convenience and for the occasional chatter that does happen =p

The problem is that pokemon chat occurs in other channels (hi chaos) and similarly, anime chat happens elsewhere; in larger established communities where discussion is likely to be more interesting. That doesn't leave much for people to universally relate to in [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG]. Consequently, the chat becomes somewhat exclusive.

It would also help if you cut down on the AAML roleplaying, and abuse of Entei's script is pretty annoying; both things make me switch over to other channels.

Last edited:
Sunain said:
Perhaps if it wasn't just sex talk, people would chat. Thats just my 2 cents.

Perhaps if people like you stopped being such prudes and stop badmouthing us in your channel, people would chat.

TK n HappyNess said:

You're the one to talk about people not liking others. You're the most hated amongst [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG] chatters, so please shut the fuck up.

Also, what the fuck Misty? Since when you've been such an emo about the channel? If people from here don't give a shit about [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG], let them be. I like the channel as it is. Though I must agree with what McGraw said about the AAML roleplaying and Entei bot abusing. Maybe keeping the channel free from said bots except Mahoro and PM.Weather would help.

1Eevee1 said:
Misty, don't close down BMGc. It is a place for us to relax, get to know each other better, just hang out. We go across many borders to get to know others. Don't take that away from us.
That's a good point. So please don't close BMG. I like it here and it's an awesome place to hang out during the day.

Kasumi-san said:
Though I must agree with what McGraw said about the AAML roleplaying and Entei bot abusing. Maybe keeping the channel free from said bots except Mahoro and PM.Weather would help.

Actually, I agree with both McGraw and Kasumi on both of these as well... I have noticed a decline of AAML roleplay, and I have been trying to take things such as this to other channels where it is more appropriate in the last few days.

The Entei Scripts do make something fun for people in a dead chat to do for entertainment while it is dead, but when the channel picks up, some just don't know when to stop (me included). I know that I am very very willing to work on such things, which you may or may not have noticed. I think that during times such as these, we chatters need to band together and agree on a few things. i.e. Do's and Don't's... because I believe that the channel is far from being scrap-metal.... on the contrary, this might just be a turning point for us, a time for us to all get a long, agree on some things, and usher in some new blood. Your thoughts?

Kasu-chan said:
Also, what the fuck Misty?

My thoughts exactly.... the thought that I was too kind to say myself... but yeah, very important question nonetheless.

Last edited:
Aww, I was gonna come to the chat once I got my internet working at home.

Then again, if it's as bad as all these replies make it out to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom