• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Image quality policy?

Sketch

Vintage
Reaction score
I'd like to propose some kind of image standards be set into place. I'm getting tired of seeing YouTube quality screencaps being used in articles.

Example:
-Double Hit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Double_Hit

That picture of Aipom is TERRIBLE.

We need some kind of policy about image quality.

Last edited:
I know this seems obvious, but I think it's important enough to re-iterate. Image quality is highly subjective, and although we should have some kind of policy, we should be careful that people don't use it as an excuse to start "my screenshot can beat up your screenshot" edit wars like the ones we've seen in the past.

That is true...I just feel YouTube quality shouldn't be used at all in any form.

Let's also not forget that many of our pictures from the early episodes are actually .gif images.

Are you kidding me? Even when it's smaller it's still terrible.

Obviously, better quality pictures are preferable, but how about in circumstances when they just aren't available...?

Is a bad-quality picture better than no picture at all?

The raws are available. All you have to do is LOOK. To use a low quality image when a better one IS available is simply unacceptable.

Speaking of image quality, can we make one for cards as well? Some of the images are horribly small and blurry; I think there should be a standard for them as well. Maybe nothing smaller than the images used on pokemon-card.com, and even those are a little small for my tastes. There are just too many cards to have such low quality images.

Are you kidding me? Even when it's smaller it's still terrible.
well, you must have a damn good monitor because it looks good to me. but, whatever. im all for finding better cleaner things.

a little off topic, but, it says Ash is wearing Officer Jenny's hat, but he isnt...

I think there should be a policy on who the animator is. Seriously, Ash's Charizard's picture looks terrible. It was drawn by a very unpopular animator (everyone remembers "Gathering the Gang of Four" and how most of the pictures on the "worst anime art" thread are from that animator. so I think we should use the other one with Ash and Charizard side by side. It shows both trainer and Pokemon, and is much, well, better looking.

The raws are available. All you have to do is LOOK. To use a low quality image when a better one IS available is simply unacceptable.
In any case, a crappy looking picture can be used as a temporary placeholder...?

Hmm...the only problem with that is...when it's forgotten about and it gets discovered. It just brings the quality down as a whole.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom