• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improved competitive team! I worked hard on these guys!

Count chaos

I claim Gengar
Reaction score
This is my competitive team with unova pokemon only, I have EV trained about 15 pokemon and still working on more. Feel free to critique as harsh as possible and give suggestions for new pokemon because chances are that I have it (unova region only!!!)

Galvantula @life orb
Compoundeyes
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Thunder
-Volt switch
-bug buzz
-Energy ball
Lead scout galvantula. If it has the capability to take out the opponent, then it does using STAB 91% accurate thunder, STAB bug buzz, and energy ball for ground and rock types. Galvantula is extremely speedy as it is so a modest nature helps better than timid to give it extra power. If galvantula can't handle it just uses STAB volt switch and gets out of there. A fun thing to do is switch into Chandelure on a fire attack and get a boost on overheat and flamethrower and decimate whatever is in it's path.

Archeops @flying gem
Defeatist
252 spe/252 atk/4 hp
Jolly (+spe -spA)
-Acrobatics
-Rock slide
-Earthquake
-Endeavor
Physical attacker, although it sweeps extremely well without boosts. Flying gem STAB acrobatics does massive damage, and earthquake and rock slide are for good coverage (no stone edge because of lack of accuracy) endeavor works well with defeatist once archeop's hp hits below half. Archeops has swept entire teams before and I've had it since I first got the plume fossil, so it has a lot of sentimental value (and complete annihilation value)

Scrafty @leftovers
Shed skin
252 hp/252 spD/4 atk
Careful (+spD -spA)
-Bulk up
-Drain punch
-Crunch
-Rest
Scrafty is the most valuable Pokemon on my team. If it fails to take out at least one or two of the opponents pokemon then I have a problem. Bulk up raises scrafty's defense and attack, making it not only extremely bulky but also somewhat offensive. If a second bulk up is possible it will be done. The next move all depends on scrafty's hp at the time. Drain punch is for when scrafty is still green or in high orange. Rest is for when scrafty is in serious danger. Shed skin hopefully wakes scrafty up the next turn so it can sweep with drain punch for health and STAB and crunch for STAB and good neutral coverage

Whimsicott @focus sash
Prankster
252 hp/128 def/128 spD
Timid (+spe -atk)
-Trick room/leech seed/energy ball
-Tailwind
-Protect/substitute
-Encore
Whimsicott comes in on a wall or something that isn't too much of a threat. It then uses protect/substitute to see if the opponent tries to set up. If so, then Whimsicott uses encore to lock it (if Whimsicott switches in on a set up move, then encore is used immediately) Whimsicott has a lot of fun locking the opponent into fake out or status moves like thunder wave. Afterwards Whimsicott tailwinds, which is its main use. Tailwind helps out my team a lot, giving Scrafty and Jellicent a better chance to outspeed the opponent to gain the upper hand. Leech seed is useful, but it can be replaced with energy ball in case of taunt. Trick room can be used to reverse the opponents trick room.

Chandelure @choice scarf
Flash fire
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Shadow ball
-Flamethrower
-Overheat
-Energy ball
Special attacker, but (like archeops) works well as a sweeper without any boosts. With choice scarf it outspeeds almost anything (excluding accelgor) and a tailwind boost helps even more. flamethrower and shadow ball are for powerful STAB attacks while energy ball is for coverage. The plan is to switch Chandelure in on a fire move (works well with Whimsicott and Galvantula) and sweep with flamethrower. Overheat may seem redundant due to flamethrower but it's a very good powerful STAB attack to use if Chandelure plans to switch out next turn.*
STAB overheat=210 base power

Jellicent @water gem
Water absorb
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Water spout
-Shadow ball
-Sludge wave
-Ice beam
Special Jellicent. STAB water gem water spout hits just about everything in the metagame pretty hard. The rest of the attacks are for coverage, including ice beam which takes out flying types that my team hates so much.

My other EV trained pokemon are acid spray special Eelektross, bulk up Conkeldurr, DDance Haxorus, cosmic power Sigilyph, curse gyro ball Ferrothorn, trick room Reuniclus, anti-lead Mienshao, SD Bisharp, DDance Scrafty, mixed Eelektross, and mixed Samurott

Last edited:
POison has horrible coverage. You are better off running recover on jellicent so you can get water spout back to full power.

Whats the point of running trick room and tail wind on the same set? Same with focus sash and substitute or leech seed. It seems pointless. You are better off using leftovers.

From what I see its not a bad team, you just have to think through some stuff.

Comments in bold
Galvantula @life orb
Compoundeyes
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Thunder
-Volt switch
-bug buzz
-Energy ball
With a 108 base speed Galvantula would be better running a timid nature or a choice scarf as the item, just so that it will be able to outspeed most common life-orb sweepers like Starmie and Gengar. You can always switch out with Volt Switch.

Archeops @flying gem
Defeatist
252 spe/252 atk/4 hp
Jolly (+spe -spA)
-Acrobatics
-Rock slide
-Earthquake
-Endeavor
I GUESS it can work. I'm a little iffy on Gems considering their temporary value, but since Arch has a beastly attack stat anyway and goes down quickly, I guess it depends on how you play it.

Scrafty @leftovers
Shed skin
252 hp/252 spD/4 atk
Careful (+spD -spA)
-Bulk up
-Drain punch
-Crunch
-Rest
Why use rest when Scrafty has a STAB recovery with Drain Punch and an ability that helps it clear its status problems? I think Stone Edge or Dragon Tail would be better options for the fourth slot. Especially Dragon Tail, nothing makes this bastard more annoying than to physically phaze out it's threats than that.

Whimsicott @focus sash
Prankster
252 hp/128 def/128 spD
Timid (+spe -atk)
-Trick room/leech seed/energy ball
-Tailwind
-Protect/substitute
-Encore
Why are you using trick room when tailwind will have a better benifit to the whole team? I'd honestly recommend Leech Seed, and replace the item with leftovers (Whimm never really goes down that easily). It will give it MASSIVE recovery and make it the stalling monster its known to be.

Chandelure @choice scarf
Flash fire
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Shadow ball
-Flamethrower
-Overheat
-Energy ball
Special attacker, but (like archeops) works well as a sweeper without any boosts. With choice scarf it outspeeds almost anything (excluding accelgor) and a tailwind boost helps even more. flamethrower and shadow ball are for powerful STAB attacks while energy ball is for coverage. The plan is to switch Chandelure in on a fire move (works well with Whimsicott and Galvantula) and sweep with flamethrower. Overheat may seem redundant due to flamethrower but it's a very good powerful STAB attack to use if Chandelure plans to switch out next turn.*
STAB overheat=210 base power

Jellicent @water gem
Water absorb
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp
Modest (+spA -atk)
-Water spout
-Shadow ball
-Sludge wave
-Ice beam
Special Jellicent. STAB water gem water spout hits just about everything in the metagame pretty hard. The rest of the attacks are for coverage, including ice beam which takes out flying types that my team hates so much.
Bleh, I'm honestly not sure about the last two. While choice scarf Shandy is nifty, my only fear is that it's almost perfect flash fire bait for Heatran users (you do NOT want to give it a single flash fire) without it's dream world ability. Not to mention Jellicent is just too slow in general to be a good sweeper without tailwind or trick room.

Overall, I guess this team is kind of fine, but you have a lot of attackers and not too many walls, and if certain key members of this team falls it can all crumble horridly.

Scraft tends to use rest because it can get to full health and not be asleep for 2 full turn thanks to its ability. Similar to Hydration Manaphy.

This team has some interesting Pokemon, but it lacks an overall sense of direction. You should consider what style you'd like to use (heavy offense, bulky offense, balanced, stall, etc.) before you build a team. With that being said, I have a few suggestions for your current team:

Timid Nature --> Modest Nature on Galvantula

You'll want to run a Timid nature on Galvantula to take advantage of its fantastic base 108 speed. Without a speed-boosting nature, you'll lose to Pokemon that you would normally outspeed such as Timid Hydreigon.

Anti-Setup Whimsicott --> Your current Whimsicott

Trick Room and Tailwind normally don't work well in singles matches and are a waste of moveslots when both placed on the same moveset. I'd suggest replacing your current Whimsicott with the Anti-Setup set:

Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Encore
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Support Jellicent --> Offensive Jellicent

In the current metagame, Jellicent works most effectively in a supporting role. Here's a set you should try using:

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Surf

Good luck with the team.

The team is alright, as practically everyone has practically said.

coolking's post/advice is good. 1) Sludge Wave ain't that great a move on Jellicent. It offers minimal coverage, coverage already provided by Ice Beam. You might consider any of Energy Ball, Recover, Pain Split, or even Scald. (I ran Scarf/Eruption Typhlosion and packed Flamethrower as well; although Typhlosion is alot harder to keep at ~100% health considering his typing [and ability], it's still good to have reliable STAB [then again, Flamethrower was good for the Blaze boost, whilst Eruption wasn't]. You can have redundant moves if you need to, if they offer you a range of choices. If you don't want the redundant Water moves, then I'd go with Recover, or else replace Water Spout with Hydro Pump or something.)

[While I'm still on Jellicent, I gotta say that I don't like his EV spread. All the speed investment seems like a great waste. Jellicent is best used coming in one of its immunities, preferably Water, preferably when the opponent is locked. Jellicent's speed is far from impressive. Maximum speed EVs is a sweeper's thing; at best, Jellicent should be calculated to outrun some target with help from Tailwind/Trick Room, and nothing more.]

2) Whimsicott doesn't make too much sense, though mostly I see it as an issue of item synergy. (I could think of a few reasons why Trick Room and Tailwind would be paired together, actually.) Because you say that he switches in on minor threats, I'd drop the Focus Sash. (As if there weren't more reasons to.) Leftovers and Substitute/Substitute and Leech Seed all work really well together though.

Youngster Joey's fix for your Galvantula is good, and you could go the route of his Whimsicott. Chandelure and Scrafty can run as they are, though Chandelure is a bit risky per his concerns. I however endorse the use of gems, as I think they're lovely little items with the perfect combination of versatility (as opposed to Choice items) and painlessness (as opposed to something like Life Orb). I don't know if Archeops should hold the Flying gem though, although I suppose that boosted-Acrobatics is his bet bet of getting in swift and unpredictable damage. (From that moment on, Archeops loses all unpredictabilty and, hence,a bit of power.)

I think Bulldoze may be a better move than Endeavor on Archeops. Bulldoze's effect can be effective setup for many of your pokemon.

I don't know why HH's Whimsicott set runs so many HP EV's. Leechers like having lower HP, reducing the cost of Subs. (If sand is up, you lose the HP you gain back from Leftovers anyway. Higher HP only pays off in certain increments anyhow.) Other than that (/despite that), it's a potent set. His Jellicent is decent, but I don't know the effectiveness of Taunt on the slow Jellicent. His team also lacks the Ice Beam you desire. Scald can also be a good move, because it's slightly dangerous to switch in on, even for Counters. I'd maybe run that over Surf. Your team runs no status attacks, so burning any pokemon can't be a bad thing.

Last edited:
I don't know why HH's Whimsicott set runs so many HP EV's. Leechers like having lower HP, reducing the cost of Subs. (If sand is up, you lose the HP you gain back from Leftovers anyway. Higher HP only pays off in certain increments anyhow.) Other than that (/despite that), it's a potent set. His Jellicent is decent, but I don't know the effectiveness of Taunt on the slow Jellicent. His team also lacks the Ice Beam you desire. Scald can also be a good move, because it's slightly dangerous to switch in on, even for Counters. I'd maybe run that over Surf. Your team runs no status attacks, so burning any pokemon can't be a bad thing.

That Whimsicott set runs max HP for bulk. Although it isn't exactly a tank, it can still take a hit or two.

Taunt Jellicent is actually a fairly common set. It's purpose is to burn things like Ferrothorn and other Jellicent on the switch and use Taunt to stop them from using Leech Seed or Toxic/Will-O-Wisp/Recover, respectively. The extra power of Surf can be quite useful, especially against opponents that cannot be burned such as Heatran and Volcarona.

Keep in mind that there are other usable EV spreads out there for the Pokemon I suggested. I just wanted to give the topic creator a general idea of what to do with some of his Pokemon.

Quote notification!

Eh, okay. I'd probably subtract some (/or many) HP EVs from Whimsicott and put them into both the defenses (simply ofr the leeching principle). Per Jellicent, I'd also subtract some HP EVs--perhaps just 8, but maybe as many as 64. (64!) Jellicent should at least have 1-2 extra points in speed, if it's made to be a counter against other Jellicent.
Keep in mind that there are other usable EV spreads out there for the Pokemon I suggested. I just wanted to give the topic creator a general idea of what to do with some of his Pokemon.
I got that--I just love to nitpick. (Generally though, the Jellicent nitpick could be a very, very important one.) And I am the EV-Wizard.

Eh, okay. I'd probably subtract some (/or many) HP EVs from Whimsicott and put them into both the defenses (simply ofr the leeching principle). Per Jellicent, I'd also subtract some HP EVs--perhaps just 8, but maybe as many as 64. (64!) Jellicent should at least have 1-2 extra points in speed, if it's made to be a counter against other Jellicent.I got that--I just love to nitpick. (Generally though, the Jellicent nitpick could be a very, very important one.) And I am the EV-Wizard.

On a Pokemon like Whimisicott, I'd still suggest running maximum (or near maximum) HP. Its base HP is very low and many of its opponents will actually have nearly as much or more HP that it has. As long as the opponent has a higher maximum HP stat than Whimsicott has, Leech Seed's recovery will allow Whimsicott to make another substitute every two turns.

I completely agree with you about Jellicent's speed. I didn't fine-tune the EVs of the Jellicent set that I posted. Ideally, Taunt Jellicent should run at least 44 Speed EVs to outspeed minimum speed base 65's like Scizor and Vaporeon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom