• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improvements to Pokemon games

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. Refer To Profile
I searched and didnt find a thread like this anywhere, but if one exists already, please move it. I intend this to be a discussion on how future Pokemon games could be improved. While Pokemon is a very successful franchise, there are ways in which it could be improved and perhaps draw a bigger audience. Here are some questions that might encourage discussion about this.

• What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
  • Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
  • What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?
  • Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
  • Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?

Last edited:
I could go on forever on things I'd like to see in new games but I haven't the time or the will-power to do so so I'll just throw something out.

I'd like to see a Main-stream Pokemon game that features extensive Multi-paths which the trainer can take. I'm getting sick of playing as a new trainer in some backwoods town aspiring to be the Champ. Instead of just focusing on the player starting off as Fledgling Trainer on the ultimate goal of beating the Elite four, I'd like to have a Choice at the Beginning to become a Pokemon Breeder, Ranger, or Coordinator Or maybe even join Team Rocket and rise through the Ranks to become the Boss. And Based on your choices through the Game, the Story-line would alter as you go.

I think the biggest faults of the Pokemon series is that 1: It's too monotonous to grind and 2: It's too slow.
I don't think that the formula needs an overhaul.
It would be interesting to see a kind of game like TheCableGuy said, with multiple paths available to the trainer.
It would be nice if the pokemon games had a better/darker plot. I would be overjoyed if a pokemon game had a deep storyline like Knights of the Old Republic or Skyrim.
I don't think the games need better gameplay or less pokemon.
I do think that there should be pokemon games that cater to an older audience, because then people will stop with all the "POKEEEMON? THATS A KIDZ GAME. I PLAY KEWL GAMES LIKE CALL OF DOUCHY" crap.

make the game darker
more complicated plot
DELETE HMS FROM EXISTENCE!
remove evs let pokemon reach the max of all their stats
give some pokemon new evos and dont add pre evos since they don benefit anything
make an evil team evil not stupid
add the presence of police,government

i could write a list

Some of the things I'd like to see change are:

A change to the level system - I would like the AI to determine the level of the opposing trainers Pokemon according to the level of your Pokemon! This will mean if you're someone who likes to train a lot against wild Pokemon, you won't be a much higher level than all the NPC trainers you face!! Gym leaders could be 5 or 10 levels higher to make it a real challenge, I find the battles too easy when I'm the same level as the opposition!

Whole map open from the start - I hate when I can only catch a certain Pokemon on victory road so if the AI determined the level of wild Pokemon, you could catch Pokemon anywhere and have them be at your level, this way you could have the team you want through the whole journey without having to trade over Pokemon or anything.

HM's made to be a skill - I know everyone would love to just have HM's as a skill that your Pokemon could use without wasting a move slot, although you could have the choice of using the move if you like (Surf and Fly are good moves).

More Creative Story Plots - I find I always have to help out a trainer/Gym leader but how come I never actually have a wild Pokemon run up to me wanting me to save it from a Pokemon Hunter? Or maybe the hunter could steal your Starter and you have to talk to NPC's to find out where they took it to get it back! It would also be interesting to start off as an experienced trainer who has already earned badges in another region (such as Paul).

Battle Frontier & Contests - If these where more like their Anime counterparts it would make the reply value of the games so much better! You could get all your badges, take on the elite four and champion then after that travel the region again finding all the battle frontier locations and participate in contests! The Pokemon World Tournament would be a great replacement for the Battle Frontier, I would want all the frontier brains to be as challenging as the PWT.

The Elite Four - I think it would be a good change to do a top 16 challenge just like in the anime and once you manage to win the top 16 you'll get to battle the elite four and champion! I'd also like all the gym leaders to have full 3 on 3 battles even from the first gym!

Other small things I'd like to see changed are:

• The first Pokemon in your party can walk along with you (just like HGSS)
• Two Save files
• Some small character customization
• Two regions just like HGSS (The 3DS cartridges have a 2GB limit so this should be easily possible!

1Three story files - one per starter
2More Pokémon
3Character Customization
4New Moves and Abilities
5GenIII contests back
6Evil Team being a tad more serious and having good leaders like N and Ghetsis
7More subplots available, like contests, breeding...
8More battles available post-story (ones that actually give experience)
9PWT-like thing in all games
10New moves and abilities for old pokémon
11More interesting rivals, and characters really

Although numbers 2, 4 and 10 are kind of granted.

Umm, I have a few. I guess.

• I know it's not so much a Pokemon issue, but the Nintendo WiFi needs to pick up its game, I can't hold a proper connection with friends when playing Pokemon, but all other games are fine. I know it's not on my end because other games seem to work perfectly with the internet, and when connecting with other people. Hmmmm..

• HMs could be a trained skill, like a quest. If you do this for someone, then they will teach your Pokemon a HM move. It'd be like a cute little side quest, some could be quite hard too if the HM is a necessity like Surf or Cut.

• The trainer school should actually be useful! Instead of items galore it could be a place where you can actually learn TM moves from students, fight students more prominently, or even earn money/items for teaching students. I don't know how it'd work but I think it could be a good idea if pursued correctly.

• Career choices! I think it'd be cool if after defeating the Elite Four you could pursue a career, such as being an officer, a nurse, a gym leader, a member of the elite four, a pokemart cashier, and more. If you could do that it'd probably add a lot more gameplay and hours to everyones games, I think it'd be interesting.

Confusion - Purely subjective, but I can't stand it and would be happy if it was removed.
Add a Flamethrower/Ice Beam/ Surf for Grass types.
Add a tournament where opposing pokemon would be completely random.
A facility where you can select any pokemon registered on your pokedex and battle it, also be able to battle your own pokemon.
Bring back walking pokemon but improve (not just first in party and have option to turn off).
Add 7 legendaries per Gen max.
Add more variety of pokemon to the starting routes (BW2 did this well).
Make the games completable without need of others (Others should be able to help, but you should have access to everything by yourself).
Horrible rival who chooses starter strong against yours, and childhood friend rival who chooses starter weak to yours.
Higher leveled wild pokemon.
Ability to face protagonists from previous games (Maybe in a similar style to Red, or maybe in a PWT style).

There need to be WAY higher leveled wild pokemon. I don't think I've seen any higher than 60 or 70, and having them up to 100 would make level grinding so much easier.

What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?

Uncontrollable randomness, and invisible mechanics that end up being really important. Tons of under-useful moves and under-useful abilities for Pokemon who have much better ones available (for example, Huge Power Azumarill versus Thick Fat Azumarill?). The game becoming way too easy with all the available healers while Ethers, Elixirs their Max variants, and Leppa Berries are treated like they need to be so fricking rare.

Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?

Not really. They're already working on incorporating difficulty options, so the only things that really need to be changed is how much control the player has over EVs and IVs, maybe some changes to pacing and further changes to the experience system so that leveling to 100 is not as much of an absolute grindfest.

What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?

Darker overtones like DPPt, with a deeper plot like BW/BW2. Also, with a wide variety of Pokemon available, especially at the beginning.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?

It needs to be deeper and make sense, so yes. I really want to see another Cyrus-like enemy. Pokemon DPPt had a pretty good, exciting story.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?

EVs and IVs.

Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?

Judging by how I've gotten 90% of the National Dex in Black 2 done so far... no. There should be more. A lot more.

Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?

Yes. Simply to expand upon the games and appeal to the older fans who, like myself, want a little more seriousness in our gameplay.

Could be a TV console game. Could be on a handheld with something more than an E rating.

AHEM...

1. What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is? its lack of groundbreaking change, they're just tacked on.

2. Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul?Absolutely If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most? Single player needs a difficulty spike, they're too easy for anyone seasoned in RPGs (who do their homework) and Pokemon alike. the story needs a new formula, the champion's path is getting very old, very boring, and very PREDICTABLE!!

3. What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally? a new console RPG adventure with Pokemon Battle Revolution's many trainer options... and a couple well made minigames for the Stadium fanboy lunatics.

4. Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot? Yes, yes, a million times, YES. the "To Be A Master" shindig can only go so far, but after five Generations of the same story formula, I demand something different... like the GCN games' concept of Shadow Pokemon, except with something a little unexpected... like the bad guys Won already before you get started, and you as a very skilled Trainer decide you had enough and intend to fight back. the "Master champion legendary Trainer" crap has beaten its dead horse already, a new story would be absolutely welcome, as long as it can provide us with something new to remember.

5. Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? In My Opinion, yeah. If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed? okay Deep breath... *breathes* it'd be absolutely splendid if Pokemon Battles didn't have to have so much luck involved in it. perhaps bring in some values that can determine how long a certain status effect does, like a pokemon with high Speed to have shorter Sleep status, or Pokemon weak to Ice are to be frozen longer, little details that can be studied, can be exploited, and more importantly, can bring more of a feeling of being skilled when facing off! the options for Pokemon battling could also need expanding (like established mediocre Pokemon gaining more moves, better support for the lesser types, etc.), it'd be nice to find some more original teams among the higher level play, too. I could say more, but then all I'd likely get instead is another spin-off series that caters to them...in a very lazy way...

6. Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all? I honestly do not care, if Gamefreak goes as far to make up Pokemon based on something very silly, I'm gonna send an E-mail saying how laughable they are (unless they kick butt in battle... by which point I'll just wonder what they're smoking)

7. Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? yes, Desperately! If so, why? because REAL PEOPLE grow up, it makes us feel more comfortable if Pokemon isn't sugarcoated for the kids who probably won't quite understand why are these evil organizations as bad as they are... we also need a great deal more Grey morality that makes the characters a little more human.

Last edited:
I would like to have HM's be forgetable w/o the need of a Move Deleter, and I think it would be interesting to see surroundings have an effect on the battle. For example, if there's a thunderstorm, lightning bolts may hit combatants randomly, dealing electric-damage. I'm not sure if Game Freak will ever do that, but doesn't it sound cool?

Update: I would also like to be able to replay a game's story w/o deleting my current save file. I'm willing to go through the plot more than once, but I don't want to erase my original playthrough, so I wish for this to happen.

Last edited:
if r/b/y have fr/lg and g/s/c have hg/ss, ruby,sapphire and emerald should also have a comeback. the names i thought for the new games are MagmaRuby, AquaSapphire and SolarEmerald. sounds cool, right? new things i want in the game are-

-new types of pokemon in addition to shiny pokemon, like ancient and metallic pokemon
-special effects of the pokemon types, like 20% more deffence and an additional rock type for ancient pokemon
-characters with 2 different ages for each gender, 12 years old and 16 years old
-a better arcade with video games other than just lame card games
-the comeback of team aqua and team magma

Gameplay suggestions:

How about making the world even more 3D and third person view-ish like so many other games out there (WOW, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto)?

Also, what if instead of only being able to pick the moves your Pokemon use you actually got to manually control the execution of those moves during a battle (similar to first person fighters like Prince of Persia, Diablo III, WOW again, etc.)? I know this would be a huge change to the game but I would love to control my Pokemon during a battle. This would add a new level of skill to an already great strategy game.

Character customization would be cool.

Those are my initial thoughts.

The Elite Four - I think it would be a good change to do a top 16 challenge just like in the anime and once you manage to win the top 16 you'll get to battle the elite four and champion! I'd also like all the gym leaders to have full 3 on 3 battles even from the first gym!
I always felt like the Victory Road was something like this. Not necessarily a tournament, but like a group of trainers trying to find their way through the cave, with the first one being the person qualified to challenge the Elite 4. I like the current victory road because it isn't just a cave, but you have to navigate across all types of terrain to get to the castle while battling all the trainers along the way so it tests your battle skill and navigation skill. Those who lose are obviously disqualified, and those that sneak around and avoid battle may find themselves too weak to defeat the Elite 4.

But it would make more sense if after Victory Road, there was a tournament between the first 16 trainers to make it.

• The first Pokemon in your party can walk along with you (just like HGSS)
I'd prefer it to be an option on the status screen rather than being the first Pokemon since I may want to train one Pokemon but have another follow me.

What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
The games have followed the same formula for so many years and it's really tiring. The games are also too linear. There should be an open world Pokemon game.

Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
Yes. Dump the collect eight badges and fight the Elite Four storyline. Come up with something new.

What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?
An expansive open world game on whatever Nintendo's next hand held will be. A choice based game like Infamous where your decisions influence what happens in the game. You can be good or evil.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
Yes, desparately

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?
I think the series needs have better move animations. The Pokemon should actually move during battle and make contact with one another. Not just stand on opposite sides.

Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
No, there aren't too many animals on this planet so there are not too many Pokemon.

Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?
Considering that are the majority of the audience these days then yes the games need to be aimed at us. Like how Call of Duty is aimed at teenagers/adults but played almost entirely by kids, Pokemon is aimed at kids but played almost entirely by teenagers/adults.

Some of these might be quite controversial but here goes.

Multiple save files - It really surprises me how many people are against this, but I think this is the single best addition Pokemon games can have. Out of all the games I've ever played, Pokemon probably has the most re playability since there are so many different ways to play the game with different teams, movesets and what not. But it's pretty poor how you can't experience it again unless you delete your save file or buy the game again.

Better character customisation - X and Y definitely took a step in the right direction which I was really pleased about, but there are ways to improve it. I think it would be better if you could customise yourself at the beginning of the game, the maybe have a few rare items of clothing along the game. But I really would like more options on developing your physique, and especially your hair. And we really need to be able to not where a hat, nobody I know ever wears a hat irl.

Trading not necessary - I know some people will hate this as they love trading, but I can offer a compromise. Instead of some pokemon being completely exclusive, I think some pokemon should be rarer in one version like the Nidorans in Red and Blue. This will still encourage trading, but people who can't trade/ don't like trading will still be able to get the pokemon they want. And pokemon with trade evos can have an alternate method for evolution, e.g. Graveller can evolve into Golem by trade or at level 50.

Scrap event exclusives - I think they should definitely still do events for shinies and exclusive moves, but certain pokemon shouldn't be event only. It's just annoying for people who miss events and are new to series, and no one really benefits from it. I think it would be way better if all pokemon in a gen were available in a single cartridge that is a part of that gen.

Darker tone(s) - I understand why they won't do this as it's mainly a kid's game, and I certainly don't expect rape, flaying, massacres etc. However I do think they could make it slightly darker for older fans. Not dark enough to alienate younger players, just enough to make the games a bit more edgy. It's not impossible as it's been done in other kid's franchises like Avatar and Yugioh.

More complex storyline - The Pokemon universe has so much potential for an emotional story, but since it's for kids and they focus more on the game play I see why doesn't. But I think a gripping story could work wonders in a pokemon game. The way to go about it would be making it so kids could understand the basic elements of the plot, but adults could understand all the themes and more complex characters and plotlines, like with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I'd also like characters to be more interesting. These may seem like unreasonable demands, but I'd be happy if they could pull it off.

The games have improved so much over the years, yet some old elements are left behind. Can you imagine what Ponemon Contests would be like if they were kept and advanced with each generation? Kurt might even have developed as few more wacky pokeball designs.

As for the future, I'd like to see Pokemon Contests return with moves that are utilized differently than while in combat. This could be done using this next idea, to add multiple type effects to Pokemon attacks. While some attacks may remain unchanged others, like Scald, would count as 75% Water, 25% Fire. Not only this, but have it so Pokemon resistances counted as a percentage when taking damage. For example, have it so the first Pokemon type accounts for 60% weakness/strength and it's secondary type would count for 40%.

Example: Venusaur is 60% Plant, 40% Poison. A 100% Fire attack would hit it harder than a 100% Psychic attack.

Still, immunities should remain unchanged, or at least have it so there's a very low % chance that an immunity would fail on multi-type Pokemon. For example, Gengar would have a 30% chance of being hit by Normal and Fighting attacks. Such effects would greatly impact combat in ways no previous games could compare.

As for Pokemon Contests, how moves are judged could utilize this multi-type system. For Example, a 100% Fire Type would produce larger flames using a 100% Fire Attack and thus gain a bit more points in a single category while multi-type Pokemon and moves may have a spread of lower points based on their typings.

I always felt like the Victory Road was something like this. Not necessarily a tournament, but like a group of trainers trying to find their way through the cave, with the first one being the person qualified to challenge the Elite 4. I like the current victory road because it isn't just a cave, but you have to navigate across all types of terrain to get to the castle while battling all the trainers along the way so it tests your battle skill and navigation skill. Those who lose are obviously disqualified, and those that sneak around and avoid battle may find themselves too weak to defeat the Elite 4.

But it would make more sense if after Victory Road, there was a tournament between the first 16 trainers to make it.

I can definitely see it that way too. The reason why I would prefer a proper top 16 tournament is because I don't find the trainers in Victory Road to be that challenging, although the PWT felt like more of a challenge and something I'd love to see in every single game. If we had victory road then top 16 as the tournament and finally the Elite 4, the game would be more challenging as well as longer :D

[*]What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?

The newer games pander to little kids way too much to the point that the games are too dumbed down, they need to find a better balance difficulty wise. Having multiple difficulties available from the start would certainly help this for one. Other than that, they should make less linear region design like they did pre-5th gen, but designed with an easy to follow main path to keep people from getting lost.

[*]Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?

I wouldn't say an "overhaul", but there are some major mechanics that need changing:

For one, they should have multiple movesets. Instead of having one set of four moves that could be used in various scenarios, you'd have several different movesets you could use in several different situations. You could have one normal battle moveset, and then another moveset for field moves, form changes (most notably Rotom's forms and Mega Evolutions), and contests. Moves can also exist on different movesets, for instance if you want to use Surf in battle and as a field move, you can put it in both movesets. Of course since this would take up a lot of memory, they would probably have to limit it a bit, so maybe you would only have 3 field moves, 2 form change moves (with the other two moves taken from its normal moveset), etc.

Also, they should change the mechanics to make a distinction between primary and secondary types. Weakness, resistance, and STAB multipliers would be lessened from a secondary type, to maybe x1.5 for a weakness or resistance, and x1.25 STAB. This would also help to make double weaknesses and double resistances less devastating.

[*]Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?

Just make more plots like BW1's and we're fine.

[*]Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?

No, the beauty of Pokemon was that it could appeal to both groups, they don't need to split the fanbase. They just need to make games that accommodate multiple skill levels better.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom