• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improvements to Pokemon games

Oh. And when you release a Pokemon, it goes to the nearest route, forest, field etc (if applicable). That way you can catch it again and or add Pokemon to a route, forest, etc in addition to what can already be caught there. Kind of like when you introduce a species to a new area, but seeing as this is Pokemon, there would be no negative consequence. :)
Yes, I've wanted this for a LONG time!

Although I actually think it would be pretty cool if introducing a new species impacted the ecosystem. Maybe you release a bunch of Houndour in one route and suddenly Mareep go from common to rare, or disappear entirely, moving to a neighboring route.

The threat of running native species out would be a downside, but also really cool and totally preventable (and the idea of trying to introduce other pokemon to run the Houndour out, then running out those pokemon, with the final goal of reintroducing Mareep to its native habitat sounds really fun to me - and educational for the kids to learn about conservation!)

True there is the option of using pokebank. However like you said it costs money, also it can only save pokemon and maybe items (I don't use it) so it means you lose loads of data, then have to complete the game again before you go back into competitive. Multiple save files would make everyone's lives easier and it's pretty much a standard in games that you should be able to replay it without losing data.

Agreed on all points. And also, since starters are supposed to be uncommon/rare species, they could have like a 1%-5% chance in certain restricted areas. That way they could still be available, just very hard to find. Make it a post game area, too, so it can't be abused before you beat the story. It would be nice for the people who don't have any friends who play Pokemon, and only have one DS/game. It would also be cool to finally actually be able to catch a starter! Though they did make it possible in the Friend Safari, to an extent. Only Gen I and VI 'Mons.

Completely agree with this. This is exactly how I'd have it and your reasoning is spot on :D

That's true. And it's not like they can say that the cartridges can't hold more than one save file, because there are plenty of other RPGs that require just as much memory/processing power/what-have-you and they have save files. Just look at Legend of Zelda or something. Some of the Dragon Quest games can as well.

Also, thanks! :D

What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
For me, it's the reliance of the HMs. I think they need to be removed, or turned into TMs, a la Rock Smash. Having to waste slots with HMs just annoys me.

Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
My main concern was finally transitioning into 3D, which was already addressed. The next step would be to fix the plot. I'm bored of the same old routine of good vs. evil.

What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?
As a fan of RPGs, I am fine with how the main series is, despite a few annoyances.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
Yes, I do. As I said above, good vs. evil is boring. I wish it would be scrapped for something else. I think the series should be nothing more than collecting the Gym Badges, defeating the Elite Four and the Champion and collecting Pokémon. Adding a villainous group makes me think they just add it in to fill time, when they could find ways to improve the game's story.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?
Just the story. The main series finally transitioned into 3D, and I am happy with it being an RPG.

Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
There are too many, but that's the core of the game. You collect and battle with Pokémon. Taking that away means there's no point in continuing. Besides, I grew up with the catchphrase "Gotta Catch 'Em All!".

Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?
I see this get asked a lot, and I never understand why. I think the main series is for anyone who enjoys an RPG. I think the toys and the anime are more for the children, though. I do not want to see a grown adult collecting stuffed animals, or plastic toys.

Huh. Just an idea, but instead of having a different set of pokemon for each game how about having about four different "sets" of pokemon for each route that the game randomly determines on new game. I mean, all of the Pokemon are already in the game, what more would a few scripts harm.

If anything, it could make every game a different experience. :p

So if they do decide to keep super training in it's current incarnation I really hope they make so that level 3 rounds STOP REWARDING FREAKIN' SMALL BAGS! Seriously, it's an insult to think that I can beat a round in 30 seconds and simply be rewarding a pathetic 1 EV bag.

While I doubt it will ever happen, I think that starters should stop being limited to just one region. I WANT MY PIPLUP WITH ME EVERY OF THE TIME!

While I doubt it will ever happen, I think that starters should stop being limited to just one region. I WANT MY PIPLUP WITH ME EVERY OF THE TIME!

Well, as you may know, you can get Kanto starters, either from Sycamore or from the Friend Safari, maybe that's a start.

While I don't think the series's formula as a whole needs that much improvement, there are indeed some times where you being practically the only trainer with a team of six Pokemon does bug me.

- Maybe you should start out with a capacity of just three active Pokemon and, as you acquire Gym Badges, your party capacity gets expanded (up to six) ?

- The level caps provided by Gym badges could stand to be tighter. Not too tight, but (say) 5-10 levels above the next Gym leader's (or E4/Champ's) Pokemon. Beating the Champ and entering the Hall of Fame should be the final "badge" that allows you to use traded Pokemon of all levels up to 100.

- On the same note, Gym badges could benefit from having some effect on your own (non traded) Pokemon. Not in terms of loyalty/obedience, but maybe your XP gain drops off after the level cap to help keep you from overlevelling. (Maybe make your XP gain level/badge relative. With only 1 Badge it starts to drop after Lv.20; with two Badges, it starts to drop after Lv.30; etc.)

Last edited:
Some true improvements needed are these;

*Strong Megas have minimised Stat Changes (100 BST into 50 to 75 BST Gain) and Legendary Megas rather intensify their higest or lowest stats.
*Makes Fairy weak at Ice and to Ice.
*Makes Grass giving neutral to Steel (don't ask me why) and Bug neutral to Ghost.
*Make it more hardcore and much less luck based (Critical Hits multiply secondary effects chances by 1.5 instand of X1.5 damage, let the players to aim with Control Stick then fires with A/B on certain moves like Multi-Hits and moves with non-perfect accuracy, or if foe had increased evasionness and so on, and finally Moody and Acupressure only on non-HP lowest main stat)
*And makes Type Effectiveness less intense, like X2 into X1,5 and X4 into X2.

Who approves, disapproved or is neutral with me?

Last edited:
(Critical Hits garentee secondary effects instand of double damage
Crits are reduced to 1.5x normal damage now, and it's actually possible to get a 100% critical hit rate with the right set-up (e.g. Super Luck + Scope Lens + any crit move; or Focus Energy + any crit move).

Speaking of which, I wish they'd get rid of crit chance for everything that doesn't actually focus on it (scope lens, crit moves, etc).

Hey, thinking of deeper and darker plot, how about a Legendary Pokémon get snapped and constantly wreak havoks on important cities? The Legendary alone, no person/team who corrupted/manipulate/pertubates it. It gives a big bites for those who thinks that Pokémon will never harm people for real! (I'll use this idea for my future fictional Pokémon main games)

While I don't think the series's formula as a whole needs that much improvement, there are indeed some times where you being practically the only trainer with a team of six Pokemon does bug me.

- Maybe you should start out with a capacity of just three active Pokemon and, as you acquire Gym Badges, your party capacity gets expanded (up to six) ?

- The level caps provided by Gym badges could stand to be tighter. Not too tight, but (say) 5-10 levels above the next Gym leader's (or E4/Champ's) Pokemon. Beating the Champ and entering the Hall of Fame should be the final "badge" that allows you to use traded Pokemon of all levels up to 100.

- On the same note, Gym badges could benefit from having some effect on your own (non traded) Pokemon. Not in terms of loyalty/obedience, but maybe your XP gain drops off after the level cap to help keep you from overlevelling. (Maybe make your XP gain level/badge relative. With only 1 Badge it starts to drop after Lv.20; with two Badges, it starts to drop after Lv.30; etc.)

These sound like pretty good ideas to me.

Also, didn't the Kanto Badges all(or most) boost some particular stat a little bit for each of your Pokemon? At least, that's what the leaders say when you beat them. "The Thunder Badge cranks up your Pokémon's speed. It also lets your Pokémon fly lightning-quick any-time, kid! You're special, kid! Take this!" --Lt. Surge

Though I'm guessing that's not what you meant when you said "Gym badges could benefit from having some effect on your own (non traded) Pokemon."

Last edited:
Also, didn't the Kanto Badges all(or most) boost some particular stat a little bit for each of your Pokemon? At least, that's what the leaders say when you beat them. "The Thunder Badge cranks up your Pokémon's speed. It also lets your Pokémon fly lightning-quick any-time, kid! You're special, kid! Take this!" --Lt. Surge

Though I'm guessing that's not what you meant when you said "Gym badges could benefit from having some effect on your own (non traded) Pokemon."

I think I read somewhere that back in the day when you beat a gym leader your party pokemon gain bonus evs (not counting the actual battle ones) when you recieve the badge.

I'd like it if there was something like a level equalizer option that sets the gym leader's (or other important trainers) levels the same as yours for a more epic battle. It would also be nice if the move relearner can re-teach moves that are normally only available to a pre evolution (shroomish with spore) as long as the now evolved pokemon has had it at some point in their moveset. They did it in mystery dungeon why not here? Since we now have horde battles it would be nice if there was some kind of spread fire option that allows any attack to hit multiple targets but experiences a much steeper drop in power (more than moves like surf which already hit multiple targets) or costs extra PP. This happens in the anime all the time when Ash and co face Team Rocket or a group of wild angry pokemon. Lastly I think it would also be cool if in double and triple battles there would be a cover command that allows a pokemon to take the hit meant for another. Again this frequently happens in the anime and it would have obvious drawbacks (taking more attacks = faster ko) but would allow a more complex way to command and strategize with multiple pokemon.

I'd like it if there was something like a level equalizer option that sets the gym leader's (or other important trainers) levels the same as yours for a more epic battle. It would also be nice if the move relearner can re-teach moves that are normally only available to a pre evolution (shroomish with spore) as long as the now evolved pokemon has had it at some point in their moveset. They did it in mystery dungeon why not here? Since we now have horde battles it would be nice if there was some kind of spread fire option that allows any attack to hit multiple targets but experiences a much steeper drop in power (more than moves like surf which already hit multiple targets) or costs extra PP. This happens in the anime all the time when Ash and co face Team Rocket or a group of wild angry pokemon. Lastly I think it would also be cool if in double and triple battles there would be a cover command that allows a pokemon to take the hit meant for another. Again this frequently happens in the anime and it would have obvious drawbacks (taking more attacks = faster ko) but would allow a more complex way to command and strategize with multiple pokemon.

That sounds really awesome, actually! They would be realistic and add an extra dynamic into the battles. I especially like the cover/guard command idea. They had an IQ skill in Mystery Dungeon that kind of did that, I think it was called Bodyguard. The Pokemon would take the hit of an ally who had less than 20% HP or something.
I also really like the horde battle idea. It would give you another option for Pokemon with only one-target moves, potentially saving time in-battle.

I think more, if not all, types should get distinctive in-battle advantages (a la Ghosts being able to switch in spite of trapping moves/abilities or Flying types not being hit by Spikes and such). Personally, I was thinking Psychics should be immune to moves with increased priority, it would increase their usage and take a notch out of priority using Pokemon (which seem to predominate the current metagame). Or if not a type, at least an item that protects one from priority moves.

Last edited:
I think more, if not all, types should get distinctive in-battle advantages (a la Ghosts being able to switch in spite of trapping moves/abilities or Flying types not being hit by Spikes and such). Personally, I was thinking Psychics should be immune to moves with increased priority, it would increase their usage and take a notch out of priority using Pokemon (which seem to predominate the current metagame). Or if not a type, at least an item that protects one from priority moves.

I think being immune would be a little too much. I can understand Psychics ignoring priority because they can predict the future, but I still would leave it the same, personally.
I totally understand your reasoning, though.

I think being immune would be a little too much. I can understand Psychics ignoring priority because they can predict the future, but I still would leave it the same, personally.

If they considered this at all, they would most likely end up removing all priority moves from Psychics and/or nerfing their speed. :/

Maybe instead add a move that is dependent on the opponent using priority moves to negate or flip it back at them. Kinda like sucker punch i guess... except for priorities.
:p

If they considered this at all, they would most likely end up removing all priority moves from Psychics and/or nerfing their speed. :/

Maybe instead add a move that is dependent on the opponent using priority moves to negate or flip it back at them. Kinda like sucker punch i guess... except for priorities.
:p

I'd just let psychic types negate the increased priority but otherwise the move functions the same since they suffer from poor coverage and movepools. Flying types should be immune to sand attack and Dark types should be immune to Hypnosis.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom