• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improvements to Pokemon games

Rivals actually being formidable and having more than 3-4 party Pokemon for most of the story. Tired of seeing full teams post-game :/

Rival battles:

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5
Final battle (main story) - 6

It would be wonderful to see them change their team. Only Blue and maybe Barry did that..

...Are you referring to Calem/Serena? Because if you are, you're severely wrong my friend.

The first (Tower of Mastery), second (Coumarine City), and third battle (Route 14) with them features them only having 3 Pokemon.

The fourth battle features them with 4, but all the tag battles near that have them only utilize 4, while you should have a full party at that point...

The 5th (and final one of the main story) has them with only 5.

So, 4/5 battles they have 3-4 Pokemon, that equals most of the story.

Anyways, I agree about them using different Pokemon. They really should have utilized their second starter and the fossil.

Uhh, actually, that was NOT referring to any of the rivals in the games because none of them have such a reasonable team increase rate ^^;; I'll edit my post since it's my fault for not specifying what that meant

That was what I wanted for improvement - rivals adding their teammates one by one.

Rivals actually being formidable and having more than 3-4 party Pokemon for most of the story. Tired of seeing full teams post-game :/

Rival battles that I want:

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5

It would be wonderful to see them change their team. Only Blue and maybe Barry did that... Adding teammates one by one as you progress the story seems better - and shows that the rival is also travelling just like you. More relatable
Silver does exactly this (except he goes from one pokemon to three in the second battle) and one of the reasons why he is my favourite rival.

Last edited:

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5

It would be wonderful to see them change their team. Only Blue and maybe Barry did that... Adding teammates one by one as you progress the story seems better - and shows that the rival is also travelling just like you. More relatable

I'd also like to be able to lose rival battles and have t effect the story somehow, like if you lose it could determine what Pokemon the rival uses in your next battle. It would also be great if the battles were kind of more official like the anime, so they're 2 on 2 only, not 2 on 6. Either way it wouldn't be that much more challenging unless difficulty levels are added.

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5

I'd also like to be able to lose rival battles and have t effect the story somehow, like if you lose it could determine what Pokemon the rival uses in your next battle. It would also be great if the battles were kind of more official like the anime, so they're 2 on 2 only, not 2 on 6. Either way it wouldn't be that much more challenging unless difficulty levels are added.

I agree. I wouldn't mind throwing a fight, once in a while to make Serena happy and not feel like a total loser.

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5

Wasn't there something that affected Blue's Yellow team? Depending on what you did, he could have a Jolteon, Flareon, or Vaporeon and his team would change accordingly. I don't remember what affected that change.

Battle 1 - 1 (starter)
Battle 2 - 2
Battle 3 - 3
Battle 4 - 4
Battle 5 - 5

Wasn't there something that affected Blue's Yellow team? Depending on what you did, he could have a Jolteon, Flareon, or Vaporeon and his team would change accordingly. I don't remember what affected that change.
It depends on how well you did against him in previous battles:

Jolteon - If you beat him at both Prof Oak's lab and Route 22.
Vaporeon - He beats you at Prof Oak's lab, and he either beats you at Route 22 or you skip the battle.
Flareon - If you beat him at Prof Oak's lab OR Route 22, and lose or skip the other battle.

It was based on how you did in the first two battles in the game. If you won both battles, he chose Jolteon, if you won one of them (or skipped the Rt. 22 battle), he chose Flareon, and if you lost both (or lost the first one and skipped the Rt. 22 battle), he chose Vaporeon.

Yeah Bosses do need to stop being maxed out at 3-4 Pokemon. That's the reason as to why BW/BW2 and XY are the least challenging games in the series. I want a challenge like what Platinum had. I want interesting characters like why Emerald had. I want a great story like what the Mystery Dungeon or Orre games had. Not a single main series game has hit all 3 points.

The closest to hitting all 3 points was Platinum. Challenge, interesting characters, and a decent story, probably one of the best stories in the series.

Yeah Bosses do need to stop being maxed out at 3-4 Pokemon.

I'd be fine with 3-4 Pokemon if they were actually challenging and you were limited to the same amount. What I mentioned much earlier in the thread is having the A.I determine the opponents level based on your level could work great. If you play on easy, the opponents Pokemon could be a level or 2 lower, Medium equal or hard maybe 4-5 levels higher for a real challenge!!

Although I would love a console a console RPG, the handhelds could keep me more than satisfied if they just be a little more creative and try to grow at a faster rate. Joshawott is right they they add these great features (For me Pokemon following you, PWT etc.) but don't build on it further. It was great to have Pikachu's cry from the anime but why not aim to have all the Pokemon's actual cries, I'm sure the 3DS could handle it!

1.- Combat : to be honest the turn based combat is becoming boring to me, i dream of a day when pokemon is played as action/adventure game
2.- HM: make them items the player can use so we dont have to waste moves slots
3.- world wide online events: im sure im not the only one who never gets any especial legendary because i dont live in US/Japan, why not an online distribution?
4.- better plot: every game have the same plot, beat an evil organization and become the pokemon champion, the solution is simple, get rid of the evil organization all together,rocket,magma,aqua, flare. all of those are "evil" organization trying to harm the world but they are just lame, i never felt threatened by them, they are just a joke, so why botter with them? just get rid of them and focus the story on being the very best like no one ever was, make the gym leaders and elite 4 harder, they should have 6 pokemons each, the plot should be about beating this great trainers, i cannot remenber any single gym leader from pokemon x and y, only the lucario girl and thats just because she appeared alot, built up expectation for each gym leader, and mystify the elite 4, in my way to a new city i want to hear stories about the next gym leader, stuff that he/she accomplished so when the moment to fight them comes i will be really motivated to fight them, also drops hints about how strongh the elite 4 is, when i finished pokemon y i felt nothing,i didnt cared about the gym leaders or the elite 4, they where just like any other trainer, why? because they dont have back story, there was no reason for me to care about them

Yeah Bosses do need to stop being maxed out at 3-4 Pokemon. That's the reason as to why BW/BW2 and XY are the least challenging games in the series. I want a challenge like what Platinum had. I want interesting characters like why Emerald had. I want a great story like what the Mystery Dungeon or Orre games had. Not a single main series game has hit all 3 points.

The closest to hitting all 3 points was Platinum. Challenge, interesting characters, and a decent story, probably one of the best stories in the series.
Platinum is so far, in my eyes, the game that got the closest to being a perfect pokemon game. And yes a story as entertaining and interesting as the Mystery Dungeon games would be awesome for a main series pokemon game.

(I'm back.)
Actually, it makes sense that Platinum was as awesome as it was, since, iirc, Masuda said that he tried to make Diamond and Pearl the "ultimate" Pokemon games, so naturally, Platinum became the definitive "ultimate" game.
@TerraTF; is EXACTLY right. The three elements that Pokemon games need are:
1. A challenge
2. Cool Characters
3. A good story

Unrelated, I also want the Elite Four to have Pokemon from more than one type. By making them based off just one type (albeit some have tricky dual-typed Pokemon), they're just TOO easy to defeat. For example, once you know that their type is Fire, you bring out a water Pokemon, and MAYBE you'll need to switch once or twice for Pokemon with dual types that Water is NOT super effective on, but other than that, they're east (at least for me.) I think that's one of the main reasons the Champion tends to be more difficult than the rest of the League; because they focus on multiple types (I'm not talking about the champions that DO focus on one type only.)

1.- Combat : to be honest the turn based combat is becoming boring to me, i dream of a day when pokemon is played as action/adventure game

Have you played Ni No Kuni? It would be interesting to have a battling system similar to that! I personally think the Pokemon series could learn a lot from Ni No Kuni!

Have you played Ni No Kuni? It would be interesting to have a battling system similar to that! I personally think the Pokemon series could learn a lot from Ni No Kuni!

sadly i have not played ni no kuni yet, i heard alot about it but i cant afford it right now and i dont want to spoil the game so i havent watched reviews or lets plays
can you explain how the combat works in that game please?

sadly i have not played ni no kuni yet, i heard alot about it but i cant afford it right now and i dont want to spoil the game so i havent watched reviews or lets plays
can you explain how the combat works in that game please?

It's an amazing game and after playing it I feel like the Pokemon series could do so much better! It's not turn based, you can either control Oliver or his Familiars (their Pokemon like creatures) and attack at free will whenever you like. You're in a small area and each battle is initiated sort of like Pokemon except you can actually move the familiar around and choose what attackes to use. You can also choose when to defend.

It would work well for a console game but I'm not sure about the handheld games. It would be good to have a sort of timing based system that would allow you to dodge attacks if you press a button at the exact right time.

I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I thought the Pokewalker was a neat idea (the pedometer that levels up your pokemon). It just needs a couple modifications:

1. More rewarding - There shouldn't be a level cap of 1. Well, there could still be the level cap, but we need to get rewarded for everything beyond that. Maybe start increasing happiness after every X steps after the pokemon has already gained a level?
2. Less abuseable - The "strap it to a fan and let it go" problem. Maybe every 1000 steps require a button push or something?
3. Secondary reward - The slowly growing experience is the perfect use for the Pokewalker, but there's no immediate gratification. Maybe give a free dice roll every X number of steps to get a rare berry? Or gain free credits with a move tutor? Maybe it gives you an item like Honey that you use to attract rare pokemon in the game. Could be a lot of different things.

I will be honest, the number of pokemon, moves, abilities, and held items make it a lot harder to play. I may be too old, but I am overwhelmed when I think about online battling.

They should have a good/bad moral choices.
I would like to join team rocket and be evil for a change, the super hero bit gets stale.

Here's what i think they should do to improve Super Training in the next games:
- EV reset as an option and not as a reset bag, means you can reset EVs anytime you want and not getting lucky by gettting a reset Bag.
- Add a fourth level of EV training that gives 24 EVs.
- Training bags automatically give their benefits by just touching them once and not by pressing the touch screen repeatedly.

Here is a crazy idea for a next gen.

Handicap match! you are outnumbered on the field. 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 3
It would only be for story mode of course, but might spice up some stuff.

I have a few things I would like to see.

1) Gym leaders have more Pokemon, challenge mode in BW2 did this good and I like it, too bad it stayed in BW2

2) Make the gym leaders, or most and the champion and E4 secret members of the evil Team, this will spice it up a little. In one game really, not all, that would suck.

3) Create a compelling storyline. What most people say, a PMD like storyline is needed, as the PMD series (mostly 1 and 2) as they were threatening and lovely. If people don't like the story create a skip option for speech, maybe add some cutscenes?

4) Make the evil Team leader and 2nd strongest members, well, stronger! X and Y made me really wanna beat the evil Team leader for many reasons, I liked him after all and what he was going to do was not the right thing, Team Galactic were the same. N and Ghetnis would have been tough, if I didn't have Reshiram to obliterate them with...

5) create more fabulous rivals. I enjoyed Gary, Barry and Hugh the most for either being strong or feeling close to them, I would love an option for them to tag a long, hey even Silver could be some fun making fun of me all the time :D!

6) Make a really good post game! D/P/PT and G/S/C (well HG/SS for me) had a brilliant post game, so did BW2! But X/Y is well, you know... not really there... just the looker missions and one city to explore... if you can call it a city (It's so darn small! But is decent)

Gen 5 did really well on the story line part and I was saddened by how much of a leap backwards they took in X and Y. Gen 3 and 4 did well on the challenge part and Platinum had a fabulous story line. I would love to see a consistent quality kept in all games, they keep switching and abandoning really good aspects of the games! I under stand keeping them unique but not too unique they over shadow other games! (Platinum and SS/HG are possibly my favourite Pokemon games due to the mechanics and story lines... and legendaries, I love catching legendaries and learning all there is to know about them!)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom