• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Improvements to Pokemon games

As for the existing games, I always thought it would be cool if the Pokemon you released in an area could actually start appearing in random battles.
This totally has "Streetpass" written all over it, amirite? That would've actually made SP useful, instead of just ... y'know ....

(Tangent: Last night in Mario Kart 7, I started a 150cc Grand Prix run on the Special Cup and what is this one Mii driver doing in the lineup of AIs? Must've been someone I StreetPassed.)

1) Doing a prequel to the Pokemon universe before pokeballs, gyms, and the Elite Four were established

2) Bring back the Pokemon following you system from HG and SS

3) Bring back Challenge mode from Black and White 2 too.

now that we are in a 3d environment i think it if pokemon could be set on a sort of gird and each turn you could place your pokemon on a square witch could act as a sort of dodge mechaninc dealing sell damage if say a flamethrower missed you by 2 squares. you could also sacrifice your turn to dodge this way like they do in the anime

As for the existing games, I always thought it would be cool if the Pokemon you released in an area could actually start appearing in random battles.
This totally has "Streetpass" written all over it, amirite? That would've actually made SP useful, instead of just ... y'know ....

Ah yes, that would be very cool! There would have to be some restrictions on it, but the whole surprise factor would be a lot of fun!

1) Doing a prequel to the Pokemon universe before pokeballs, gyms, and the Elite Four were established

2) Bring back the Pokemon following you system from HG and SS

A prequel would definitely be cool! Maybe your goal would be instead to become one of the Elite 4.
And yes, I think everyone misses the Pokemon following you mechanic :( That was really awesome!

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with the game is that they've introduced a lot more complexity in its mechanics but haven't adjusted for them. This means that things like IVs, IV breeding, and so on aren't sufficiently well-explained in the game. Half of the audience ends up not even knowing it exists or why it even matters, the other half is aware of it but finds it too confusing. This is probably not the case in places like this forum but this forum isn't the sole audience of the games. It would be much better for everyone if that sort of mechanics were explained better in the game, so that more people would care more about them and understand them better without needing to read articles online or something. It makes no sense that a feature that can be pretty big is so opaque within the game. I personally think it should be kept as it is, more of a feature for people who care about such things and something that casual players can more or less ignore, but it should also be more transparent.

I also think they should give the game more replay value. I like the special battle places, breeding, and Pokémon Amie in X&Y, but in my opinion there should be more things you could do after completing the game. Maybe keeping those features but making them more fun and complex (like making berry farming more interesting) could be a good idea or letting you replay battles. I wish it were easier to train pokémon post-game. If you have to level up a pokémon from the very beginning, if you've already fought the trainers on your way there isn't a whole lot to do to level them up other than just grind with wild pokémon or use places like the restaurants. Those are neat features but they can be repetitive and boring after a while. More places like the restaurants in X&Y and using randomized pokémon would be great, since it would mean you could train your pokémon at a variety of levels and not have to fight the same teams over and over again.

I also think it could be a neat idea if they made the games more open-ended. You already have a lot of flexibility in what team you pick and clothing choices, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'd love it if you had more goals you could accomplish than just winning the League. You could have to train to become a nurse, for example, or have challenges that allowed you to specialize on a certain type if you wished. Those things wouldn't have to be extremely complex either, just flexible.

Otherwise, I think the games are fine as they are. I wouldn't want them to change their format because that format is what makes those games, and they stick with it because it works. I definitely wouldn't want them to be a whole different genre, there have been pokémon games in other genres so they could release more like that if there's an audience but it shouldn't replace the main line of RPGs.

I'm fine with there being fewer pokémon introduced every generation from now on, even less than that the significantly fewer that were introduced in Gen 6. Completing the pokédex is already a challenge to the casual player, especially when you have to do things like trading a lot or buying different versions just to get some of your favourite pokémon. I actually think that the fact that there are so many pokémon is putting more people off than it is converting them to the series, there may be exceptions to that, but for the general public outside of bigger fans it can be disorienting to keep track and some of the designs in recent gens have been uncreative.

Regarding the plot, it could use with a bit more variety (especially where the evil teams are concerned) but otherwise it's fine. It's entertaining, it's light, it gives the games enough direction while not distracting you from the main point of battling the gyms. If they made it more complex it could be worse since it could end up being very restricting and not giving you much freedom to do anything outside of it.

I absolutely don't think the games should be made darker or edgier for an older audience. There are older fans of the series who still play for the nostalgia or for entertainment, but most don't and from what I've noticed, a lot of the current fans and especially the more dedicated ones are people who got into it after the first Gen or two. I see pokémon as more of an all-ages thing than something for kids, like some animated movies that have a fun and cutesy tone for kids but also have more introspective messages and some darker moments for older people without catering only to the older audience. As it is, you can adjust your level of difficulty and you can read as much darkness into it as you want since there are plenty of clues about it (like the backstory of some species).

Regarding some of the points above, I feel like the problem is that a lot of the more committed or older fans expect the games to cater to them alone and forget that they have a much wider audience than that. There are people of all ages who play just casually and people of all ages in general who enjoy the series. It's possible to make something that appeals to all ages in a way. As it is, I don't feel like it's excluding older audiences and it's thankfully not catering to us only exclusively. I find that mindset quite annoying, for darker and edgier things there's plenty of media out there we can consume, we don't have to take pokémon all to ourselves as well and leave out the younger crowd.

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems with the game is that they've introduced a lot more complexity in its mechanics but haven't adjusted for them. This means that things like IVs, IV breeding, and so on aren't sufficiently well-explained in the game. Half of the audience ends up not even knowing it exists or why it even matters, the other half is aware of it but finds it too confusing. This is probably not the case in places like this forum but this forum isn't the sole audience of the games. It would be much better for everyone if that sort of mechanics were explained better in the game, so that more people would care more about them and understand them better without needing to read articles online or something. It makes no sense that a feature that can be pretty big is so opaque within the game. I personally think it should be kept as it is, more of a feature for people who care about such things and something that casual players can more or less ignore, but it should also be more transparent.

I also think they should give the game more replay value.

Definitely good suggestions. I always wondered why the whole iv training thing wasn't explained. Maybe an optional tutorial mode for those who wish to make their pokemon the best in one of those training schools instead of explaining the basics about what status effects are.

As for the replay value, they could definitely do more with that. Some of the previous games had many new areas to explore after finishing the main game. That was always enjoyable. The berry farming could be better, too. I love farming berries, but it still seems like the could do more with it. The compost thing was a good start, but could definitely be built upon.

As for the existing games, I always thought it would be cool if the Pokemon you released in an area could actually start appearing in random battles. Maybe if you released a breeding pair, their offspring could show up after a while with rare abilities or something? Eh, just a fun thought :)

The closest thing they actually did was N's pokemons. He set free the pokemons he bonded with, and later they appear in B2W2 via Memory Link.

So if they could do it with N's pokemons, why not ours XD

I searched and didnt find a thread like this anywhere, but if one exists already, please move it. I intend this to be a discussion on how future Pokemon games could be improved. While Pokemon is a very successful franchise, there are ways in which it could be improved and perhaps draw a bigger audience. Here are some questions that might encourage discussion about this.
  • What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
  • Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
  • What kind of Pokemon game do you want to see the most, personally?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
  • Do you think Pokemon games are in need of better gameplay? If so, what parts of the gameplay do you think need to be changed?
  • Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
  • Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?
1) I don't think the game really gives the players much credit. X and Y really showed us that the developers think players just want something quick and easy, when which such a already deep invested fanbase, I think many players would want something more in depth. What were physical limitations due to the technology have become obituary limitations in the game. Like the limitation of only 4 moves. I get that the scarcity forces players to be selective, but greater options would add a new element to gameplay.

2) The gameplay is in need of a overaul from a development creative standpoint, but financially the franchise still makes buckets of money, and so there isn't an incentive to really change things. It's just the corporate way of operating.

3) The plot could be better because it's so linear and one-dimensional. Even where the game took risks, like in B/W, it still ended up being the same monochromatic story. What if you had a story that really changed the player morally and ethically. I know it's made for kids, but kids can make tough decisions.

I would also like a bit of a different setting. It's still mainly a big block of land that you walk around. However, there are so many other geographic landmass options it's difficult to see why the developers have tried them out. I know people have issues with all of the water in Hoenn, but that's easily resolvable just by making boating an option from the story, like it was in B2/W2. So, why not have an Archipelago as the main region, with large islands for big cities and a few dotted islands to discover. That's another thing, so much of the game is plot driven. Whole towns and cities essentially exist for the sole purpose of moving on with the story, that it makes little sense to revisit them. That's not how the real world works. What if you had the required have to places, but more places that were just off the beaten path that offered exciting side-quests to complete.

4) One thing I've loved with the anime was that occasionally characters would teach their Pokemon new moves, through combining two previous moves. Could you imagine what that it would do to the gameplay if that was option. Right now you can more or less predict your opponent's Pokemon movepool, because there are only a select number of really usable moves competitively. But assume for a second you had the opportunity, say if your friendship was maxed out, to combine two moves into one--and maybe even name it. Signature moves would be off the table. However, what if you combined Dragon Dance and Roar, and it was called Dragon Roar; or Defense Curl and Rollout and it was called Wrecking Ball. Thunder Wave and Nuzzle, a bit stronger of an attack but you are only paralyzed for a set amount of time. Maybe you lose a bit of the effect of one or the other, but it gains a new effect. There would be a new aspect to discovering all of the known combinations. It would a completely new level of complexity to the gameplay, and a chance to see more of the less common moves see some action.

5) I don't think there are too many Pokemon. People pay too much attention to the total number, not recognizing that most Pokemon are part of families, and you can catch the first line and quickly capture them all. Even without Bank I was able to complete the National Dex, save for all of the ones that you could only acquire through Bank, in a matter of months, not really even trying that hard.

6) I think the franchise could drop the act that it's just for kids. Especially because a lot of kids already play games intended for adults. And how different would an adult Pokemon game really be. Maybe the story line is a bit more fleshed out. Your character is a bit more independent, perhaps a college student rather than someone in elementary or high school.

Essay coming up but i'll try to be brief.

What do you think the biggest fault of the Pokemon video game series is?
Post Hall-of-Fame, you aren't referred to as champion and are still some puny kid walking around doing the same thing as before. (Suggestion of how to maybe improve this below.)

Do you think that the Pokemon main series formula is due for an overhaul? If so, what parts do you think need to be changed the most?
YES!
As stated previously, HM slaving can be a major pain, so I have two potential solutions:
1. field moves determined by type, therefore not using up a valuable move slot. e.g. overworld cut can be done by any Poke after 1 badge, dig can be done by any ground type after 2 badges, surf by any water type after 5 badges, but waterfall by any water type after 7 etc.
2. Keep the current system but improve the in-battle effects of some moves. Fly, Dig, Waterfall and Surf are pretty much perfect as they are, but others are terrible. Overworld cut could be changes to in-battle fury cutter (called consecutive cutter in Japan), because it's a bug-type move (good against grass/trees) and although not overpowered for beginning of game can grow in battle. Overworld rock smash changed to in-battle brick break.

My other potentially controversial ideas:
-Gym leaders stay as type-based but Elites change to theme-based. e.g. “cosmic”, “ancient”, “science”.
-Two abilities per Pokemon. (as long as they don't clash/contradict with each other)
-More Pokes per team say 9 or 10 (this would alleviate stress from HM slaving too), but choose a sub section of them before battles.
-Totally get rid of the berry system. I HATE all the stupid time and effort placed on berries since gen 3. Pokemon is for battles/adventure, not gardening/cooking up pokeblocks/concentrating on flavours.
-Damage calculation change to make emphasis on power building as well as strategy:
single weakness = x1.75, double weakness = x3, single resistance = x2/3, double resistance = x1/3. STAB can stay at x1.5, as can crits.
-Like some have stated before, moves from a prevolution should be learned by move relearner in exchange for heart scale.

The things that have already changed for the better are:
reusable TMs, new exp share as key item to toggle on/off (slated by some for making training 'too easy' but I like to train ALL the pokemon), super training for EVs (but this needs improvement), strength boulders, running indoors.

Do you think Pokemon games are in need of a better plot?
YES! Orre and Unova had the best in-depth stories revolving around the villainous team. Sinnoh's was also reasonably good, Hoenn's teams were pure dunderheads (but strangely still likeable). But STILL we cannot choose to be evil. So here's my suggestion: Do the badge quest, defeat the Elites, become Champion and then reveal your motives as good (stop villainous team taking over Poke league, spend rest of game rooting out remainders in hiding, all your pokemon gain friendship twice as fast) or evil (join evil team and take over league in name of villainy, spend rest of game proving to them you should be leader and eventually become said leader, all your pokemon gain friendship twice as slowly)

Do you think there are too many Pokemon? If no, when do you think Pokemon should stop being introduced, if at all?
No, but too many are needlessly lumped into the category of 'legendary', and some are just plain impossible to get which is really not right. Also, gen VI did right by not pushing too many new ones.
Unown are seriously underpowered and should have really lived up to the hype rather than having crap stats and one move.

Do you think there need to be some Pokemon games that cater to an older audience, instead of all of them targeting children? If so, why?
No, pokemon has enough creepypasta-worthy dark undertones.

Absolutely, positively the character customizations. It's something I've always wanted. Really takes Pokemon to the next level.

Hmm, how good would these Room-like moves be: one that negates all Abilities and one that reverses priority moves?

Hmm, how good would these Room-like moves be: one that negates all Abilities and one that reverses priority moves?

Interesting ideas... They could be pretty cool. Although the first one could potentially defeat the purpose of Mold Breaker, or just become over used to the extreme.

------

I thought of something earlier...
It would be kinda cool if there was a game where you captured Pokemon like in Ranger, and then could still be battled like in the main games if you wanted. Sort of a cross between the two games. You would still have a partner Pokemon, but most of the rest of your team could be captured with the Styler and kept around for awhile before you sent them back in the wild.
What do you all think? Could this work? Maybe not main games, but a sort of side game?

Thunder Wave and Nuzzle, a bit stronger of an attack but you are only paralyzed for a set amount of time.

Thunder Face must become a thing!

On a more serious note, I would like to see move pools increased to 5 or 6 and parties increased to 8-10 especially to make room for HM slaves.

I would like there to be more Gym Leaders than just 8 in a region, namely because in the first season of the anime there were more gyms than required for the badge minimum. Make said gyms also revolve around themes too like weather or recharge moves or anything similar.

The villainous teams should be a little more competent in terms of the intelligence of the grunts, but keep enough of them big and dumb to appeal to the children. The villainous teams should also be darker in nature rather than just radical environmentalists despite how funny it turned out to be, but not so much that it isn't child friendly. Something like Ghetsis in BW2 when he tries to freeze you would suffice.

I don't believe that the games should be restricted to mostly landbound regions. If they could make one like the Sevii Islands and the water half of Hoenn, than that would break up the lands monotony. In a similar nature, perhaps an entire sub-region that is underground. Naturally some of these would be accessible post E4, but it would allow for some very creative environment design that breaks up the endless forest that seems so prevalent in the games. (I.E.: Giant crystal formations, volcanic island chains, etc...)

Post game battling facilities must return in some fashion. I also suggest that they offer a "training program" for the purposes of leveling up your team and EV training them with hordes dedicated to a particular stat. This would be better than XY's current setup due to the Battle Chateau, Pokemon League, and the rival are your only leveling options. Furthermore actively hunting for a horde has been exhausting for me and I would much prefer to be able to find what I need and when.

Lastly, more Regi-esque sidequests that require a considerable amount of effort to unlock with a fairly great reward at the end be they a legendary trio or otherwise.

Here's an idea.

What if Pokemon could have more than four moves? Now I know the limited movepool is one of the major hallmarks of Pokemon battles, but what if:
- The fourth move slot is able to equip up to a specific # of moves
- Each move only has 1 PP (and does not trigger a Leppa Berry once used); alternately, the move slot has only 5PP shared between its equipped moves

Then you have a Pokemon with three moves in its set, but the ability to call a variety of other moves (but only once each) if you need it to.

Caveats:
- Certain moves (e.g. Sketch) cannot be equipped in this slot
- Limited to moves that can be taught via level-up or TM/tutor; does not include moves inherited via breeding (conversely, it's also exempt from passing these moves down via breeding)

How about a difficulty setting? You can set a difficulty that determines the rate of climb of levels of trainers, their intelligence, and complexity of their movesets. That way a kid just picking up a Pokemon game could play through it while it is still a challenge for more seasoned veterans.

I would also like to see a Pokemon with a full behind the back POV. X and Y looked beautiful and being able to see the full 3D environment including the celing would have made it better.

I would like to see a pokemon game with factions and quests instead of 'just' badges :) I think that would be a really interesting take on the pokémon franchise, and a chance to introduce some really cool characters. Also I think it could be really cool, however not likely, if they would at one point make alot of polls where you have to choose what you would like to see in a game, and the answers with the most votes would be introduced in that new game :) Kinda like some tv-shows like Simpsons and Friends have done it for a bit of the story plot so the audience could decide what they wanted to see the most :) However that is not likely to work in a game I think, but it still would be really cool :p
I don't think they should stop making more pokémon, I can still find animals they have not made pokémon out of yet, such as hamsters and raccoons :) I know not all pokémon are based on animals, but I still think there are some obvious choices they haven't embraced yet :p

One thing I think would be a great addition to the games: the option to pass your turn. There have been more than one occasion where using any move wouldn't do any good. Especially in 3 on 3 when one of the pokemon can't attack the other one at all (far left vs far right). Sometimes it's just want your pokemon to do nothing.

This would be especially useful on long treks when you want to conserve PP.

I can agree with factions in the game. I would like to join a group of others in the game, and it would be neat if they even added benefits to the gameplay (more money, stronger pokemon, finding different pokemon when a part of different groups).

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I think would be a great addition to the games: the option to pass your turn. There have been more than one occasion where using any move wouldn't do any good. Especially in 3 on 3 when one of the pokemon can't attack the other one at all (far left vs far right). Sometimes it's just want your pokemon to do nothing.

In Pokemon Colosseum/XD you could do this by Calling your Pokemon (brings a Shadow Pokemon out of Hyper/Reverse mode; otherwise has no effect in Colosseum, and the same effect as an Awakening/X Accuracy in XD).

Also, in the TCG you can pass your turn; executing an attack isn't actually required.

Let us dress up our Pokemon in battle. Dragonite with a bow tie plz.

Also FF ATB system, for lolcompetitive. But mostly Pokemon with hats.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom