• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In a personal level, how are you dealing with the end of Satoshi's adventures?

Well...

...yeah. It seem to have started. Best we allow Ms. Matsumoto to relax and recover. At least for that conditional pest to stay dormant, if not out.
I don't think that's necessarily an indication of a health problem. I'm pretty sure her chest tightening and being unable to speak was more due to her being emotional about the recording session instead of a sign of a physical condition. I could be mistaken and I certainly hope that she isn't developing any health issues, but based on both articles, I'm pretty sure it was more about her emotional state during the recording session instead of a health problem.

There is NOTHING indicating that she has any health problems, she was literally talking about how overcome with emotion she was about having to speak Ash's final line. I'm honestly not sure how it could be interpreted otherwise.
Exactly. She was overcome with emotion. And I don't blame her. I really don't think it had one thing to do with any health concerns.

Yeah, I'm dumb. I got so over focused on the titles alone, I didn't slowly process the information they presented. I must apologize.

I'm absolutely frustrated with the writers. They gave Ash an open ending, rather than a definitive ending.

My vision for a definitive ending for Ash would be a timeskip where he and Serena see their daughter off on her Pokemon journey. Said daughter being Liko/Riko/whatever they plan to call her in the dub.

I feel the writers gave Ash an open ending to give themselves an out. If audiences don't like Riko, they can retcon her series as a "limited miniseries", quickly bring Ash back, and pretend it was the plan the entire time.

The anime is like a childhood friend - you’ve known them forever and know everything about them worth knowing, have had your ups and downs but they’re a constant. However the last few years we’ve been on a a divergent path and no longer have that much in common. I imagine I’ll have the odd pang now and then (probably on a Thursday which has been my PokeAni day since ye olde times) but I feel like I’ve mourned the loss and can now accept that our time together is up.

I've desired Ash's story to end since I was 14 in 2009. Not because I disliked him, but the opposite, I felt that he deserved to grow up and have a happy ending before it was too late. And the latest series tendency of fitting Ash where he did not belong (first on a school where he suddenly forgot his dream of battling, and then as the comic relief foil to a Gen-Z kid) only fueled that sentiment. So when the change was announced it was more of a weird mix of confusion and hype but eventually anger as the miniseries went by. After one week of thinking a lot about it I think I've made pace with it, taking into account 3 things:

1. I still like the message. The idea that "life doesn't have a big climax and a happily ever after, there's always new adventures but new problems to solve" is something I've struggled with in recent years, and it got me thinking about how it was portrayed in other series that also impacted me in similar ways like Steven Universe Future and Bojack Horseman. The execution could still have been better though.
2. I'm still glad to see it happening and to be alive to see it. Many fans just...couldn't make it to where we are now, so we should be celebrating in their honor. This ending and the 3 preceding years weren't the best way to end the series, but I prefer this timeline to one that was perfect but took 35+ years to achieve.
3. Writing my ideal ending was quite therapeutical and was helpful on made me realize the exact things I did not like about the real one. Also it made me think...what exactly made my ending less "real" that the one we saw in the series? Some business people who possibly can't even name all Pokemon? It's not that I'll force people to like my ending, it's just that a series ending actually opens more interpretations about what could happen than when it was airing.

Team Rocket on the other hand was definitely done dirty though. If I were a hardcore fan I'd be pissed. Hopefully they'll have an special or at least a radio show in the near future to rectify it.

Well, his journey ended back in 2016, so I've been dealing with the end of this new kid pretty alright. Pity he didn't really do much though. Lotta wasted potential.
Hard to believe that XY's last episode felt more like a finale than what we got.

I mostly moved on. I've accepted BW killed Ash's characterization for me. His character development between the later series doesn't make sense and it's impossible to fill in the gaps. Trying to would break the character even more and ruin him for other people. To me my Ash, the Ash that traveled in Unova, the Ash who traveled in Kalos, and the Ash who became Alola champion then world champion are four different people. I can't reconcile it. I wished for Ash to become regional champion, battle other champions then, be replaced when I first joined these forums. I didn't for the life of me consider the possibility that I would hate the execution. I learned to understand the writers were just doing a job, mistakes happen, and they weren't trying to slowly build a massive of epic about big tournaments. The series was about small things too not just the pulse pounding save the world plots and battles. Just because I cared more about that as a kid that doesn't mean that all the series was. And even though I got disappointed when I saw the weekly episode was filler... I still watched it. I still rewatched my OS VHs tapes. so even though it feels like I didn't fully appreciate the series... I did deep down.

I forgive the writers and showrunners for the lackluster end to this long loong looong loooong looooong journey. I'm probably going to take this disappointment to my grave but I still loved parts of the series. So it was nice.

Honestly I'm rather content. Ash has been around for so long and done so much, we've spent plenty of time with him. The part of the journey is the end and giving Ash that definitive stopping point, even if he returns later, is refreshing. It's like you have breathing room, to pause and reflect on his journey. Because sometimes we don't fully value things until they're gone. And now I'm sure people will be more receptive of the era, celebrating the highs again whilst being more forgiving of the flaws

While I was fairly on/off during Ash's journey, these last few years have been crazy. SM coincided with me graduating high school and journeys panned out during uni. Even MPM, by the time it was over I had officially finished all my exams and did my first placement. It's like I had to grew up as soon as the anime ended. The anime isn't like real life, but it mirror it sometimes. Just how monotonous it can feel, with the filler episodes. Even though we'll go through many big events, a lot of it comes down to smaller stuff. Running errands, chilling at home, random walks to the park. The real gem is finding enjoyment in that. In the same way, filler episodes aren't super exciting but if you seriously hate them all, you might be missing what makes pokemon special

Ash can also be a simple character. While I would've appreciated more consistency (or leaving earlier), I also think that's his strength. That pure, unrelenting optimism, desire to make friends and battle. There's a lot of characters that can be needlessly edgy, so having the opposite is pretty wholesome. You can't help but like the kid, even if he's not super complex like others. Because I think he represents our own desire (or at least mine) to just go to a simpler world. Where you can spend your days adventuring the landscape, battling with cool monsters and meeting new people for eternity. It's what every kid wants, and sometimes even adults

So I'm just glad I have this period of time, that I've made fond memories with (games and anime) which I can cherish forever. I'm glad it didn't get ruined, even BW wasn't that bad tbh

Im honestly rather mad. I feel there are so many ways to keep him going but at the same time its satisfying to see mah boy after 26 years finally become the world champion. But I hate Liko and think she is a terrible person and is the reason I don't watch Horizons :mad:

I've been handling it just fine. It was sad to see him go. It was the end of an era and I genuinely wish his sendoff series was handled much better outside of Ash's big win. I grew up watching Ash's adventures, so I was a little sad to see him go. I was willing to continue to watch and give our new protagonists a chance, and I've been pleasantly surprised with Liko and Roy so far. So while its sad to see Ash go, moving on has been easy since we've been given two enjoyable protagonists. I'll always remember Ash's era fondly (Well outside of BW and Journeys), but the future is looking bright.

Honestly, I'm relieved. I fell off of the anime a long time ago and only recently started watching the whole thing again from the beginning. It's good to know that there's a definitive end point for me to work my way towards. Not only that, but the new series looks pretty interesting to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing that when I'm done.

Though I do wish they'd make a movie showing a final clash between Ash and Giovanni.

Fun thing is I dreamt 2 times about Ash.
First dream is that Ash has returned in Horizons for some times( IDR if it's forever)
Second dream is that Ash and Dawn appeared for first 11 episodes of Horizons with Liko and Roy to finish their arcs and they left and I remember bawling that Ash is gone xD.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom